Start by marking “Peter Spier's Circus” as Want to Read:
Peter Spier's Circus

Peter Spier's Circus

The circus is in town! Come join in the fun as Caldecott Medalist Peter Spier creates a circus like no other, in this exuberant celebration of the wonders of the big top.
Published May 1st 1995 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Peter Spier's Circus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter Spier's Circus

Olivia Saves the Circus by Ian FalconerCircus by Lois EhlertThe Circus Ship by Chris Van DusenSidewalk Circus by Paul FleischmanPeter Spier's Circus by Peter Spier
Picture Books about the Circus
5th out of 20 books — 6 voters
Noah's Ark by Peter SpierThe Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night by Peter SpierThe Erie Canal by Peter SpierPeople by Peter SpierPeter Spier's Christmas! by Peter Spier
Best of Peter Spier
31st out of 55 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Apr 30, 2009 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This book doesn't have the magnetism of many children's books. We tend to skip the text and instead just talk about the pictures.
Janet
Mar 18, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A day in the circus from beginning to end, set up to tear down, sunrise to sunset. I loved that Spier included the behind the scenes illustrations including the school trailer and the transformation of two men into full clown make up and costume. I never tire of looking at Spier's detailed illustrations as there is something new to be found everytime.
Rob
Oct 24, 2009 Rob rated it liked it
Shelves: with-holden
You can tell a Republican runs this circus. The poor mother horse only gets a month off after foaling. Seriously, what's up with that?

Now, forgetting for a moment that this is intended as a children's book: there is something seriously surreal going on here. Spier writes this in a detached, abstract, sort of journalistic way. As if he's writing an exposé on the circus. For kids. But in a way that they couldn't really grasp. He's not really judging the circus. But he's showing you what's going on
Apr 19, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
The detailed pictures in this story make it best for one-on-one reading, but since it gives so much information, I use it as a "talk aloud" as we look at the pictures.

We learned about the work involved in packing, moving, unpacking, rehearsing, and performing. We also noticed how multicultural the circus troupe is: Japan, China, Hungary, Holland, New Zealand, Russia, India...so many countries are part of the story!
Kameron
Mar 12, 2011 Kameron rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Peter Spier is amazing. This is our second book of his checked out from the library and neither Jack nor I ever get tired of looking at the detailed, amazing illustrations. This book has so many neat behind-the-scenes looks at a circus set up, the people from all over the world who perform, the clean up, etc. We are hooked on this guy!
Cana
Aug 24, 2008 Cana rated it really liked it
Mommy says: Elaborate and detailed pictures and slightly sophisticated text show how a circus is set up, performs and is taken down. My kids were enthralled with the pictures while I read what was going on.
Emily Augustus --Louisville KY
Mar 13, 2013 Emily Augustus --Louisville KY rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vocabulary
This is a great book I use before our class goes to the circus. It introduces great vocabulary, and has awesome pictures my students enjoy.
Winslow
Jan 24, 2010 Winslow rated it liked it
Shelves: from_library
You like to point out the poop which is copiously strewn about the pages of the book. You love the ringmaster and finding the violin on each page.
Polly
Sep 22, 2010 Polly rated it it was ok
Not hugely thrilled with this. Nice pictures, but I didn't really want a step-by-step introduction to a real circus.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Amazing pictures, found the text rather dry.
Nina
Mar 02, 2011 Nina rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illos!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Amberly
Amberly marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Vinitha
Vinitha marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 27, 2016
L.K. Sukany
L.K. Sukany rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
K Stockdale
K Stockdale marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
E
E marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Brigid
Brigid marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Lindsey Nelson
Lindsey Nelson rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016