Start by marking “1 Hunter” as Want to Read:
1 Hunter

1 Hunter

3.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
1 hunter walks through the jungle. He does not see 2 elephants or 3 giraffes. But they see him!
Published September 29th 1986 by Greenwillow Books (first published February 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about 1 Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1 Hunter

David
Jul 07, 2011 David rated it really liked it
1 Hunter by Pat Hutchins is a humorous counting book focusing on an oblivious hunter and 9 kinds of animals who gain the advantage by sticking together.

The text is minimal, just the numbers 1 to 10 counting the hunter, elephants, giraffes, ostriches, antelopes, tigers, crocodiles, monkeys, snakes, and parrots.

The illustrations carry the story, with the hiding animals using camouflage to good advantage. The animals outwiting the hunter is a satisfying conclusion, reminiding me a bit of Tacky the
Beloved Girl
Jan 31, 2016 Beloved Girl rated it it was ok
Shelves: j1-j3
It is a counting book. It is not bad, but at 9, somewhat frighting to children.
Keith
Apr 01, 2009 Keith rated it liked it
Alright, so this book is about a hunter (obv.) and he's out in some crazy jungle with all sorts of animals. The book is kind of boring at first, just basically counting up all the animals, no big deal. But as we get to the end, we count up ALL the animals, and realize that this hunter is in the wrong hood! He breaks right out of there like the chump he is. I hit this one with 3 stars though, because that initial bit felt like it was going nowhere.
Peacegal
Sep 08, 2011 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Animals outwitting hunters is always a favorite theme of mine. This book (published during my own childhood) features bright, groovy illustrations that would have easily fit in on "Sesame Street" or "The Electric Company." (I miss those days.)

At the end, all of the animals group together to chase the hunter (who is silly, rather than menacing) out of the jungle. Yay!
Megan
Not that this is an extraordinary counting book, but my boys love it. I think because it doesn't have any narrative and you get to make it up, it gives you a great opportunity to really overdramatize the story. The illustrations are nice, sort of stylized, and the idea of the hunter walking right by so many hiding animals is hilarious for the kids.
Chanelle
Oct 29, 2012 Chanelle rated it liked it
Shelves: math
This book is a great book for beginning counting. It shows that even though there's one hunter the is 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 different types of animals that he has to go thorough. That shows the size and amount relationship of the numbers.
Louisa
What a fun book. I think the determined look on the hunter's face just adds to the book the whole way through. I especially liked the ending to such a simple story especially since you need the pictures to get it and
Shelley
Counting Book. This is a very elementary counting book, probably kindergaten level. The pictures would be fun for kids though, because the hunter never notices all the hiding animals till the end.
Tricia
Apr 16, 2012 Tricia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
I thought that "1 Hunter" was very simplistic, and easily got to the point of counting. It goes through numbers page by page, and gives a clear visual of what each number stands for.
Gloria Berger
Jul 05, 2011 Gloria Berger added it
Shelves: math, animals
This is a number book that could be used as a short activity to practice counting to 10. It would be cute to have the students work in groups to "chase" after the hunter.
Reese
Feb 18, 2013 Reese rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome way to introduce children to numbers. This is a cute book that children enjoy and there is a little "serves him right" twist at the end.
Jill
Nov 20, 2013 Jill rated it liked it
We used this for a Math lesson. The boys added up all the animals in the book using their own methods. They enjoyed spotting the hiding animals.
D'metria
Apr 10, 2013 D'metria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-3601, math
This is a good book for teaching students to count up to 10.
Trisan
Nov 15, 2013 Trisan rated it liked it
Shelves: child-2
scared hunter. ha!
Meena Prasad Gartland
Meena Prasad Gartland marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Bookshelf Study
Bookshelf Study marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
JillIan Cohen
JillIan Cohen marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Emma Hoyer
Emma Hoyer rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Sindhu
Sindhu added it
Jan 22, 2016
Edgar
Edgar rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Sarah Kat
Sarah Kat rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2015
Kelly Hong
Kelly Hong marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Rohit Raj
Rohit Raj marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
Aug 24, 2015
Tami Keel
Tami Keel marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
katnick
katnick rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Jaylen P.
Jaylen P. marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014