Start by marking “America in Danger: What You Must Know to Protect Yourself” as Want to Read:
America in Danger: What You Must Know to Protect Yourself

America in Danger: What You Must Know to Protect Yourself

With the benefit of four decades of professional and political experience and observation, and unrivalled national and global associations, Studdert has identified ten dangers that confront America today. An indispensable voice in a time of uncertainty, he stitches together divergent threats-from our failing infrastructure to flawed foreign policy, from politcal cowardice ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Critical Issues Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about America in Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America in Danger

Yvonne
Jan 04, 2009 Yvonne rated it really liked it
If I ever wrote a book, I would NOT want the editor of this book to proofread my book. Good information - but lots of duplicated phrases, sentences or ideas and in general, just a bad editing job. Now I was no English major in college, but the following paragraph is ridiculous.
Example from the preface, pages ix - x
"To my surprise, thousands of them were waving American flags - which was especially meaningful and touching as Poland was still a Communist country, where the display of American fla
Julie
Jun 16, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the positive side, it is educational and I learned from it. But besides being rather poorly written, I was disappointed that it didn't tell me HOW to protect myself. Mostly, it was just a long litany of dangers our country faces. Broken down by chapter, those dangers are (1) Ignoring the global economy of today's world; (2) Our national debt (which has increased since this book was published in 2007); (3) Insolvency of safety nets like social security, pensions, & medicare/medicaid; (4) ...more
Cathy
Sep 20, 2008 Cathy rated it really liked it
I think Mr. Studdert is accurate in the information he portrays. It's interesting to see the course of the US right now and see how it falls in line with the information he has shared, i.e. current economic woes and the sleeping/hidden giants/enemies in other countries. We are too complacent. I agree wholeheartedly on the poor editing in the book and some redundancy... but I just skimmed where I needed to and I can make the leap as to what word was intended... whether that was the word used or ...more
Tara
Jun 27, 2008 Tara rated it really liked it
I found this book to be a confirmation to everything I have been noticing, thinking/feeling, and reading about our country and the direction it is headed. I found it to be interesting that the information came from a former White House staffer. I found it to be excellent in informing the general public of the conditions--those who aren't into following politics and the current issues of our nation. I also found it to be excellent in giving sound, simple advice as to what power each of us as ...more
Alistair Rae
May 16, 2009 Alistair Rae rated it it was amazing
Stephen M Studdart was a former Senior White House Advisor to Presidents George H. W. Bush, Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford and he is LDS. The book is so intriguing and frightening in its depth and clarity of insight you just know he is telling the truth. I was scared many times! It was the catalyst for me to start keeping an eye on the world financial markets. He foretold the failure of both Fanniy Mae and Freddie Mac a year in advance. The result is an uncomplicated diagnosis of the true ...more
Glenn
Feb 05, 2009 Glenn rated it liked it
Shelves: finance-books
While this book gives a lot of good information, there is a lot of "Shock" value. There is quite a bit of speculation that is not really backed up by factual evidence.

While the topics discussed should be of great concern to many of us, the reality of some of the things happening in the near future seems unlikely. Could they happen? Absolutely. . .

People should be aware of the topics discussed and use their own determination to decide for themselves what to do to protect their freedoms and financ
Annamarie
Oct 07, 2014 Annamarie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who votes
Recommended to Annamarie by: spotted it in a newspaper article
This was a very interesting and disturbing book. I'm really glad I read it. It will definately influence me to communicate more with my elected representatives.
I do feel that Mr. Studdert had an editor that didn't do his job as well as he could have. I think that good editors catch mistakes and tighten things up more than his did. I don't know his editor or the situation, so I'm just wondering what happened there.
Nicole
Aug 02, 2008 Nicole rated it it was ok
I'm NOT impressed with the editing that was done on this book. There are a lot of typo-type mistakes (compLete vs. compete) and a ton of redundant thoughts, some quite close to each other, that good editing should have cleaned up.

Some of the facts that are presented are interesting, but the style of the book can only be classified as fear-mongering.

Linz Zee
Apr 02, 2014 Linz Zee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone in the US
Be an educated citizen and read the book. Everyone should read it before you ever vote. Horrible Spelling and Grammer, but that's not why I read the book. Great information and insight. My husband knows Mr Studdert and knows what an honest and great man he is. It's worth the read.
Ben
Nov 09, 2008 Ben rated it liked it
Recommended to Ben by: Brian
A very interesting perspective. Not a lot of new ideas, but definitely covers essential issues to be aware of. The author's arguments about the problem with escalating national debt are a little weak. However, some of the issues facing the financial community are spot on.
Mark Blackham
Oct 15, 2009 Mark Blackham rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book before they vote for local, state, and national elections. We have many looming issues that can create havoc on their own. Be an educated citizen, read this book.
Heidi
Oct 22, 2008 Heidi marked it as to-read
This book was written by Ben's mission president. He served with a couple of the american presidents. He's a very moving man when you hear him speak.
Brian
Dec 10, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
Frightening, clear presentation of dangers facing our nation that will likely affect all American citizens.
Alan
May 16, 2008 Alan rated it liked it
Kind of a hard read. Some excellent points, others seem a little outlandish and the author seems to have a poor understanding of military principles and ideas at times. Overall OK. Just OK.
Susan
Jan 07, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
The warnings about where America is headed are timely if somewhat alarming. But the editing is so poor (obvious typos, grammatical and spelling errors) it drove me crazy.
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2008
Skeller2483
Skeller2483 rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2009
Celeste
Celeste rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2009
Chanelle
Jan 07, 2009 Chanelle rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chanelle by: required for English 1010 (P. Call)
Very informative in a fun and interesting way.
Shelly
Shelly rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Janene
Janene rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2009
Kirt
Kirt rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2008
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2008
Cheryl Wilde
Cheryl Wilde rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Ross
Ross rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Candy
Candy rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Mark Brown
Mark Brown rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2012
Brian Tolman
Brian Tolman rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2012
vof
vof rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2009