Start by marking “Sun At Midnight” as Want to Read:
Sun At Midnight

Sun At Midnight

Alice Peel is a geologist. She believes in observation, thesis, analysis and proof. But now she stands alone on the deck of a rickety Chilean ship. Instead of the familiar measurable world, everything that lies ahead of her is unknown and unpredictable. Six weeks earlier Alice's life was comfortably unfolding in an Oxford summer. Then, with a suddenly broken relationship b ...more
Published 2004 by McArthur

To ask other readers questions about Sun At Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sun At Midnight

Nina Draganova
Jan 24, 2017 Nina Draganova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Бях много приятно изненадана разлиствайки книгата, да открия специално посвещение на членовете на 11-та българска антарктическа експедиция и техния водач професор Христо Пимпирев. И много горда , разбира се.
Книгата има и много силни, и не толкова страни.
Беше ми любопитно да прочета за живота на хората, дръзнали да останат за дълго на този континент, още повече че това е разказ от първо лице.
Авторката е много добър разказвач с богато въображение и език.
Накара ме да съпреживея драматичните обрати
Veronica
Dec 06, 2009 Veronica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Maggie O'Farrell
I'd never read or even heard of Rosie Thomas before this. I really enjoyed this escapist read; I got so absorbed in the parts set in Antarctica that at one point I complained that the room was cold even though I was curled up on the sofa next to a blazing fire! Rosie Thomas is so good at conveying a sense of place, and I liked the fact that it was clear that she had been spellbound by Antarctica, Alice's feelings about it a reflection of hers. I also liked her set of characters and the claustrop ...more
Barbara Elsborg
I liked this mostly for the descriptions of Antarctica. I really did get a feel for how difficult it must be to exist out there. Interesting dynamics between the characters but I wish, wish, wish there had been more between Rooker and Alice. It all seemed crammed into the last part which was very exciting, but not enough for me. I wanted more passion. Though I do understand that it wasn't possible at that point - not going to give anything away here - but earlier it might have been. Overall, it ...more
LindyLouMac
Feb 03, 2010 LindyLouMac rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rosie Thomas is not only an author but a keen traveller and mountaineer which has provided her with excellent and well researched material for her novels. To research the Antarctic background for Sun at Midnight Rosie spent a month living with the scientists on a Bulgarian research station on Livingstone Island, off the Antarctic Peninsula.
I am a long time fan of her writing although I still have to catch up with her most recent novels. With Sun at Midnight I was immediately engrossed in this ad
penelopewanders
I didn't know anything about this author, but decided to sign up for this ray. What a delight. I loved reading about the Antarctic -and while reading it we had a presentation at our school about our earth which included quite a large section on the Antarctic... (red VW phenomenon)... I would have loved to have heard more about what happens to the characters afterwards, so I was left rather hungry for more. Only the very ending with the last minute meeting was a bit over the top to my taste... No ...more
Bambola
Nov 03, 2011 Bambola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, clearly I liked this a lot more than many other readers, as it averages just over 3 stars... I loved the incredibly evocative sense of place in this book and for me it was something completely different to read about Antarctica. The overall plot requires a pretty big stretch over one decision the main character makes, but I could live with that and it had to be done otherwise there would have been no story to speak of.
Katy Archer
Not realistic enough. Would not read again!
Clare O'Beara
This enjoyable tale is based on the author's experience of travelling to an Antarctic science research station.

Alice is persuaded to go by her mother, who was the first female British Antarctic scientist in her day, and a company head who wants good publicity. As a geologist Alice does a lot of looking at rocks, but the other few team members have individual specialities and peculiarities, from all over Europe.

Rooker is a field support worker with a dour manner and not enough recent flying hou
Gabriela Silva
Mar 11, 2016 Gabriela Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not the "normal " standard of romance. Actually I don't know if I could call it a romance. And by saying this I am not disappointed at all with my reading choice. This book talks s lot about geology, remembering me things about sedimentary rocks that I did not hear since I went to university. And teaching new things I did not know about. Most of the story takes place in Antarctica and although you could think of Antarctica as white place with it everywhere and nothing else the book ...more
Bernadette Robinson
It's been ages since I read a Rosie Thomas book and it was like settling myself down into a comfy chair.

This story tells the tale of Alice Peel and James Rooker, whose lives are poles apart.

Alice is in a relationship but as things go pear shaped in the relationship, she has the opportunity of following in her Mums footsteps by travelling to Antarctica.

James Rooker is a loner with a past and secrets that he would rather they were kept hidden in the past where they belong. He is running from his
Mariazita
Mar 10, 2015 Mariazita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Primeiro livro que leio da autora Rosie Thomas, mas fiquei cativada pela sua escrita.Muito detalhista sobre as paisagens e personagens, criou uma envolvência, que fez-me sentir que estava na Antártida e sentir aquele frio gelado,
Antártida é um ambiente já conhecido para mim, li as crónicas dos seus exploradores Robert Scott e Ronald Amundsen, que numa corrida louca contra o agreste clima da Antárdita, conseguiram chegar ao Pólo Sul , primeiro o norueguês Amundsen, logo seguido de Scott.
Amundsen
Sharayu Gangurde
I am not a fiction person but I was mesmerised with the imagery Rosie Thomas described in this heart warming book. I have been keenly interested and fascinated with Antarctica Science Missions since childhood. I felt like an active member of the base as I kept reading through the vividly portrayed emotional conflict and interaction between the expedition members at the Kandahar base camp. It was frightful at one point to imagine being a part of a mission wherein one is days and miles away from a ...more
Carla Simoes
no fundo fiquei indecisa entre as duas e as três estrelas.... este livro não era o que eu estaria a espera, nunca li nada da autora mas penso que esperava um romance mais ao estilo Nora Roberts ou linda Howards, e no entanto achei que de romântico o livro teve pouco. OK eles no final lá ficam juntos e assim mas não me convenceu.

o que adorei no livro foram as de
descrições sobre a Antártida, sempre me fascinou as paisagens frias e com gelo e foi quase como se estivesse la, essa para mim foi a úni
Sue
Oct 13, 2009 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: postal-group
L8blmr
Oct 27, 2013 L8blmr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another new author for me (yes, I am being forced to branch out). The setting (Antarctica) was also a first and one of the most appealing aspects of the story. The lead female character, though obviously intelligent (what you might call "book smart"), seemed lacking in common sense and made some pretty idiotic choices. The peripheral characters were interesting enough, though some were developed more than others. A lot was said about the pressure of having a "famous" parent and/or grandp ...more
Tory
Mar 18, 2010 Tory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I love Antarctica with all my heart. I’ve always loved it, first the idea then the reality. It’s the only place, the only thing I’ve ever known that is always more beautiful that its admirers can convey, more seductive and dangerous that its reputation allows. You can never forget it and it never released its hold on you.”

This book was very readable and left me with a desire to go to Antarctica RIGHT NOW. I’m not sure what the hell I’d do once I got there, but all the same. I want to go. Bad.

In
Ngdecker
Oct 07, 2010 Ngdecker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann
Feb 09, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books that not only tell a good story but really capture the setting, so that you can see it in your mind's eye and in this case feel it in your bones. What truly great descriptions of Antarctica; ice, cold and storms lasting days. Then a story of eight men and two women ensconced in a research station, which is nothing more than a small hut, left in this potentially explosive confine for months in the name of science. Conflict, secrets, adventure, suspense and romance. This book as well ...more
Sue
Sep 12, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of our local summer reading scheme: it was recommended to me by the librarian when I sought a book set in Antarctica. I had been expecting something rather dry and boys' own adventure-ish for this setting, but this book was anything but. There was plenty of action and adventure but also beautiful descriptions of the Antarctic base-camp environment, the developing relationships between the base personnel and of course, being by Rosie Thomas, some romance too. It was a long boo ...more
Carinya Kappler
Another romantic family saga by Rosie Thomas, this time set in an icy unpredictable research station in Antarctica. Scientist Alice Peel dreams of a life where she is not overshadowed by her brilliant dynamic mother Margaret. Instead she finds herself following directly in her mother's footsteps, stepping right into the world where her mother became famous, the world of Artic research.
The author provides a dramatic exciting set of circumstances to bring this story to its climax and to bring Alic
Glenda L
Dec 29, 2010 Glenda L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice Peel is a geologist whose mother was one of the first female scientists to work in the Antarctic. Following in her mother's footsteps, Alice finds that nothing has prepared her for the beauty of that icy continent ... or the claustrophobia of sharing a tiny base with nine other people. It is an isolation that wipes out everyone's past and changes them forever. For Alice it might mean a new life ... if she can survive. This book is beautifuly written.
Dorothy
Aug 04, 2014 Dorothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr Alice Peel is an Oxford professor of Geology who can never live up to her famous mother's expectations. She embarks on a research project in Antarctica which gives her far more than she expected. While this is primarily a romance, what makes it so interesting is the location. Most of the book is set in Antarctica and the author provides a stunning picture of the landscape, seascape and weather which almost defeats the research group. I found it a very good read.
Bowerbird
I was rather disappointed in this Rosie Thomas book. It is not one of her best. Her descriptions of Antarctica appear to be well drawn. She was quite obviously impressed by her own visit there. I just feel that the story was written to illustrate that. One of this author's strengths is her ability to portray women, but as this was a story of one woman in a male-dominated situation it limited her scope.
Rose
Sep 27, 2007 Rose rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is okay. I found myself skipping pages to get to the "beefier" parts of the story. A young geologist (female) has a mother who is a famous scientist and her mom pretty much forces her to go on an expedition to the Antartic. There Alice, the young geologist finds love, learns she is pregnant with her ex-boyfriend's baby who is an artist and part time college art teacher and was cheating on her.

Alice almost loses her life in a fire,but in the end she is safe.
Zarina
Oct 16, 2012 Zarina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is part of the Reader's Digest selection that I 'borrowed' from a hospital ward (don't worry. I will return it end of this week when we visit my aunty).

I am a real sucker for romance with a man that has a dark background. And I was not disappointed.

Unfortunately, the end was a bit rushed but overall I just love it.
Truida
Jul 17, 2015 Truida rated it really liked it
I gave the book 4 stars for the absolute beautiful vivid portray of Antarctica. Looking through the writer`s eyes you can feel the extreme cold and and see the breathtaking scenery.
The story carries through but is a bit far fetched, but as it is a work of fiction the writer have the choice of writing it and you the reader the choice of not reading it....
Still worth a read
Carol Sandford
May 12, 2015 Carol Sandford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is in my top five of favourite reads. Kind of similar to 'White' (Which I also love) but set in the Antarctic (I think. Can't remember but it was cold wherever it was!) Smashing storyline with the romantic triangle that is the norm. But it is the setting that makes this tale so special. Brilliant read.. Love it.
Pia Stone
Dec 30, 2015 Pia Stone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fantastic book! I was taken to a different world which I now need to see for myself. I found that I got to know the characters and was rooting for them throughout. I read it super fast as I couldn't put it down and although may be seen as slightly unrealistic, I liked the ending it was very satisfying.
Fizaah
Aug 26, 2012 Fizaah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book for Girls/ladies/women or the acute feminist.

I mean its a story about a protagonists plunge into the unknown.

The story of a geologist, Alice Peel, who decides to do some research in the Antarctica. The rest of the story is a complete surprise. One that you cant guess. A story about Stupidity, Bravery, Love and everything Cold.

Jmrathbone
Rosie Thomas writes beautifully about Antarctica. She spent a month at a Bulgarian research station to research this novel. It pays off as she captures the imagery. The story doesn’t hold any surprises and the ending is predictable, but it is a good read, none the less.
  • Love & Dr. Devon
  • City Lives
  • Ripe for the Picking
  • Balancing Act
  • Coast Road / Three Wishes
  • That Summer in Ischia
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • First Date (The Bridesmaid Chronicles, #1)
  • The Observatory
  • One Last Summer
  • A Taste of Temptation
  • In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery from the Last Continent (Valena Walker, #1)
  • The Balance Thing
  • Velvet (V, #4)
  • Charlie
  • The Misadventures of a Playground Mother
  • Pip
  • The Diamond Ring (Unbreakable Trilogy, #3)
204538
Janey King, née Morris was born on 1947 in Denbigh, Wales, and also grew up in North Wales. She read English at Oxford, and after a spell in journalism and publishing began writing fiction after the birth of her first child. Published since 1982 as Rosie Thomas, she has written fourteen best-selling novels, deal with the common themes of love and loss. She is one of only a few authors to have won ...more
More about Rosie Thomas...