Start by marking “Reign of Hell” as Want to Read:
Reign of Hell

Reign of Hell (Legion of the Damned #9)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  495 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Burning, looting, raping, murdering, Hitler's Penal Regiment advanced on the centre of Warsaw leaving in their wake a bloody trail of death and destruction. They killed indiscriminately: Pole or German, man, woman or child - anyone who crossed their path was eliminated. For Himmler had sworn that Warsaw would be razed to the ground - if it took every member of the German a ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Cassell (first published April 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Reign of Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reign of Hell

Procyon Lotor
9th Reign of Hell chapter by chapter: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1. The Camp At Sennelager Explanation of penal battalions. Section waiting at a railway station and playing cards with French and British POWs. Porta has a collection of war souvenirs ready for trade with the Americans. Tiny tries to adopt a horse. Heide gets set up on a charge but Lt L�we gets him out of trouble. Talk about the Commandant of Sennelager, Count von Gernstein and ...more
Handrick
"- Den nationalsocialistiska idén, förklarar han för papegojan, rör sig om att allesammans har det bra. Du måste låta avfärga dig, när vi har krossat kommunismen och den internationella judendomen. I den nya tiden finns det inte plats för röda papegojor. Var kommer ni för resten ifrån, min herre? Ni liknar inte någon german! Er näbb har en egendomlig form!"

"Adam Lutz störtade sig dödsföraktande fram mot de sibiriska undermänniskorna. Han fick högra benet avskjutet, men han tog det resolut och kr
Razvan Banciu
probably not the finest piece of literature, but surely a lively book. characters are colourful and human, besides their transformation during the war. fragments of written nazi history give us the feeling of non-fiction and make us see the ugliness of the third reich. everyone should read at least one of Hassel's books.
Graham
Dec 05, 2008 Graham rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ww2
There's no shying away from the horrors of war in this gut-churning WWII read, detailing the story from the German side. A group of outsiders in the Penal Regiment find themselves in Poland, caught between the courageous Polish resistance and the sadistic S.S.

Hassel's books are all quite similar, detailing the horrors of warfare and all featuring the same group of downtrodden characters. There's no shying away from bloodshed and depravity here, as anti-war sentiments run high.

The result is an u
Matimate
Reading Sven Hassel´s books is sure way to the pacifism and sometimes it could bring very bad dreams about horrors of war. This time Sven, Tiny, Alte, Porta and others are in Poland and they are witness of destruction of Polish uprising. Warsaw was ordered to be destroyed and author leads us trough every grim detail of it. Murders and horrid deaths with very cold descriptions of various atrocities are put on with ease and one could thing that such things should never repeat ever again.

After rea
Sean Peters
To this day I remember reading all Sven Hassell books and all the characters he had in his books.

Simon
Did make me laugh when I found a copy on the book shelves, I remember reading all the series when in my mid teens; then I would of prob rated it as 5 stars ! As a more diserning reader and an adult the foul language and infantile behaviour has modified my rating.
Anna
Penal Regiment this time fights in Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising in 1944. They had nothing to loose but their lives. Warsaw citizens - guerillas made them work hard for their pay. The guerillas made the fight a hell for German troops.
Carmen
The characters are witness of destruction of Polish uprising as Himmler swears that Warsaw should be razed to the ground.
Iain Watson
Reign of Hell (Cassell Military Paperbacks) by Sven Hassel (2004)
John Thornton
John Thornton marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Damien
Damien marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Sam
Sam added it
Nov 13, 2014
Chuck Suggitt
Chuck Suggitt marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Nevena
Nevena marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
  • Das Boot
  • William the Conqueror: The Norman Impact Upon England
  • Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-boat Battles of World War II
  • A Thousand Suns
  • Legacy of the Jedi (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #2)
  • Killing Rommel
  • The Colditz Story (Cassell Military Paperbacks)
  • Caderea Constantinopolelui
  • Can Intervention Work?
  • The Veteran
  • Immediate Action
  • Pardaillan et Fausta
  • The Woeful Second World War
Hassel served in the Danish merchant navy till 1937, when he moved to Germany to join the army. He served with the second Panzer Division stationed at Eisenach and in 1939 was a tank driver during the invasion of Poland. A year later he attempted to escape because of being mentally exhausted. He was transferred to a Sonderabteilung, a penal unit manned by criminals and dissidents. He served with t ...more
More about Sven Hassel...
Legion of the Damned (#1) Wheels of Terror Monte Cassino Assignment Gestapo SS General