Reign of Hell

Reign of Hell (Legion of the Damned #9)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  435 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Burning, looting, raping, murdering, Hitler's Penal Regiment advanced on the centre of Warsaw leaving in their wake a bloody trail of death and destruction. They killed indiscriminately: Pole or German, man, woman or child - anyone who crossed their path was eliminated. For Himmler had sworn that Warsaw would be razed to the ground - if it took every member of the German a...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Cassell (first published April 1st 1971)

Procyon Lotor
9th Reign of Hell chapter by chapter: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1. The Camp At Sennelager Explanation of penal battalions. Section waiting at a railway station and playing cards with French and British POWs. Porta has a collection of war souvenirs ready for trade with the Americans. Tiny tries to adopt a horse. Heide gets set up on a charge but Lt L�we gets him out of trouble. Talk about the Commandant of Sennelager, Count von Gernstein and...more
Handrick
"- Den nationalsocialistiska idén, förklarar han för papegojan, rör sig om att allesammans har det bra. Du måste låta avfärga dig, när vi har krossat kommunismen och den internationella judendomen. I den nya tiden finns det inte plats för röda papegojor. Var kommer ni för resten ifrån, min herre? Ni liknar inte någon german! Er näbb har en egendomlig form!"

"Adam Lutz störtade sig dödsföraktande fram mot de sibiriska undermänniskorna. Han fick högra benet avskjutet, men han tog det resolut och kr...more
Graham
Dec 05, 2008 Graham rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ww2
There's no shying away from the horrors of war in this gut-churning WWII read, detailing the story from the German side. A group of outsiders in the Penal Regiment find themselves in Poland, caught between the courageous Polish resistance and the sadistic S.S.

Hassel's books are all quite similar, detailing the horrors of warfare and all featuring the same group of downtrodden characters. There's no shying away from bloodshed and depravity here, as anti-war sentiments run high.

The result is an u...more
Matimate
Reading Sven Hassel´s books is sure way to the pacifism and sometimes it could bring very bad dreams about horrors of war. This time Sven, Tiny, Alte, Porta and others are in Poland and they are witness of destruction of Polish uprising. Warsaw was ordered to be destroyed and author leads us trough every grim detail of it. Murders and horrid deaths with very cold descriptions of various atrocities are put on with ease and one could thing that such things should never repeat ever again.

After rea...more
Sean Peters
To this day I remember reading all Sven Hassell books and all the characters he had in his books.

Simon
Did make me laugh when I found a copy on the book shelves, I remember reading all the series when in my mid teens; then I would of prob rated it as 5 stars ! As a more diserning reader and an adult the foul language and infantile behaviour has modified my rating.
Anna
Penal Regiment this time fights in Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising in 1944. They had nothing to loose but their lives. Warsaw citizens - guerillas made them work hard for their pay. The guerillas made the fight a hell for German troops.
Carmen
The characters are witness of destruction of Polish uprising as Himmler swears that Warsaw should be razed to the ground.
Iain Watson
Reign of Hell (Cassell Military Paperbacks) by Sven Hassel (2004)
Jb
Jb marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Lili M.
Lili M. marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Stefan
Stefan marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Craig
Craig added it
Jun 25, 2014
Levente Kacso
Levente Kacso marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Lori
Lori added it
Jun 15, 2014
  • Cross of Iron (Cassell Military Classics)
  • Spartacus
  • The One That Got Away: My SAS Mission Behind Enemy Lines
  • The Wooden Horse
  • Das Boot: The Boat
  • Drum bun, Ciresari! (Cireşarii, #5)
  • Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-boat Battles of World War II
  • The Spanish Ballad (Raquel, the Jewess of Toledo)
  • Killing Rommel
  • Pădurea spânzuraţilor
  • Legacy of the Jedi (Star Wars)
  • Arc Light
  • A Thousand Suns
  • The Veteran
  • SS-GB
  • The Colditz Story (Cassell Military Paperbacks)
  • The Deluge
  • Immediate Action
Hassel served in the Danish merchant navy till 1937, when he moved to Germany to join the army. He served with the second Panzer Division stationed at Eisenach and in 1939 was a tank driver during the invasion of Poland. A year later he attempted to escape because of being mentally exhausted. He was transferred to a Sonderabteilung, a penal unit manned by criminals and dissidents. He served with t...more
More about Sven Hassel...
Legion of the Damned (#1) Wheels of Terror Monte Cassino SS General Assignment Gestapo