Start by marking “Anatomy of Movement” as Want to Read:
Anatomy of Movement

Anatomy of Movement

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  902 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Anatomy of Movement presents a dynamic, integrated approach to the study of the physical structures of the musculoskeletal system and their functional relationship to the movements of the human body. In clear and concise text illustrated with more than a thousand graphic drawings, the author guides the reader on a lively tour of the muscles, bones, ligaments and joints of ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Eastland Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Anatomy of Movement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anatomy of Movement

Lydia
May 25, 2015 Lydia rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga, health
Currently I am reading this book for a yoga teacher training course, so this review will be in the format of notes to myself for the TT.

Foreword:
I like that the Foreword of this book was written by a Director of a French School of Orthopedics and Massage - he understands both anatomy and how to take care of the body, with practical guides and information (as opposed to more theoretical books)

Chapter 1:

-easy to understand dra
Abby
Jan 15, 2009 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga
Excellent, dense and technical, this book looks at the inner workings of the skeleton, joints and muscles as they pertain to human movement. Discussions of how movement relates to organs and other parts of human anatomy are not included, which focuses the book on just movement. If you're looking for how movement can affect internal organs, look elsewhere. But if you're looking for a very thorough explanation of how the body moves, this is your book.

Highly recommended for yoga students/teachers.
Sherrie Gingery
Feb 05, 2009 Sherrie Gingery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another perfect book for anyone interested in movement. The descriptions of how the body works to create movement and the types of movement are detailed and easy to understand. A must-have for massage therapists and fitness instructors.

This book is so informative that I am never not reading it.
Tanuki Wise
Seems good to use with clients and for demonstrative purposes, but there are better (dynamic) anatomy texts.
It feels a little simplistic which may actually cause more confusion, especially since similar areas of the body are covered in different areas.
Jen Marin
Oct 23, 2009 Jen Marin rated it it was amazing
I am reading this book again because it is just such a wonderful perspective on anatomy from a very functional perspective. It probably isn't the last time I will read it, either. I think this one is a must read for any manual or movement therapist.
Lada
Jun 16, 2016 Lada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
V slovenskem prevodu dr. Alenke Zavrtanik Čelan, založil Zavod Emanat 2007 - za vse, ki plešejo, tečejo, telovadijo, ki jih boli, pa ne vedo kaj je tam pod kožo, za prof.fizioterapevte, maserje ...
Lee Ann Haluska
Jan 29, 2015 Lee Ann Haluska rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dancers, yogis, martial artists
Some diagram and texts placements are confusing because they are scattered around the pages. Overall a great breakdown of the muscles and skeleton into smaller working chunks of knowledge. I've taken medical anatomy and physiology so this was more a study in motion of the body for me. I wish it had more info on ailments or mis-alignments and how to fix them or how they arise from skeletal/muscular deficiencies etc. Also one or two color diagrams would be nice...
Jitka Egressy
Nov 11, 2015 Jitka Egressy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for every student of anatomy. I love illustrations - easy to undestand with them.

I can highly reccomend this book. You will learn not only basic anatomy, but also how body works in movements. Great source for every personal trainer!!
Achyuth Syam
If you're interested in a holistic approach to drawing the human form, this and only this is it.
Fotis Chatzinicolaou
Short and to the point
Geoff Sebesta
Dec 03, 2010 Geoff Sebesta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. Not only is the information presented in a logical and fascinating way, but the illustrations are so incredibly good and sensitive that this is, no joke one of the two best artistic anatomy books I've ever seen. In any artistic or medical situation I make sure I have my copy of this book with me.

This is seriously one of the most useful books you can ever possibly purchase.
Mills College Library
612.76 C141a 2007
Ayman Sieny
Feb 04, 2011 Ayman Sieny rated it really liked it
Excellent book on body mechanics. The author a ballet practitioner, provides hundreds of illustrations of anatomical parts of the body including bones, muscle, ligaments, and the possible movements for each part of the body. A great reference for anyone into sports and has a desire to better understand the body.
Paola
Jul 24, 2007 Paola is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is from the required reading list for my yoga teacher training class. While I haven't read the entire book (we still haven't studied the forearm and the hand), I must say this book's drawings and attention to detail make it an excellent resource for those studying anatomy for dance or yoga.
Kimmy
Jul 28, 2008 Kimmy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book might be more of a browser that I'll revisit from time to time. It's incredibly well laid-out, discussing each part of the body and the mechanics of its movement. Fascinating stuff these flesh sacks we walk around in all day.
Christy
Mar 02, 2009 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga-study
The thrill-ride of the summer!

Jokes aside, this is an excellent reference I would recommend to anyone. The depth of explanation and detail and the precision of the diagrams make this a volume I will surely hold onto.
Alessandra
Feb 16, 2012 Alessandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, reference, anatomy, dance
This is a wonderful anatomy book. It was written for dancers to help them avoid injury, but it was brought to my attention by a physical therapist and I find it helpful in my art for understanding human movement.
Sara
Jul 31, 2012 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a bit difficult for me, without have a strong anatomical knowledge... I think it's better suited for those who already have know most of the joints, bones, etc... Good book overall
Amy
Apr 03, 2009 Amy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommend by my pilates instructor. Flipped through it and it looks AWESOME. Thinking of ordering it from B&N, I want to have it, and it's not available from the library.
Sandy
This book was written by a dancer for dancers - it is a great book for anyone interested in movement as it shows the muscles as they 'are in motion'. Terrific reference book!
Ron Avitzur
Nov 13, 2008 Ron Avitzur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
"Short, deep muscles (e.g., those inserting on the vertebrae or foot bones) tend to be responsible for precise, small-scale adjustments rather than gross movements."
Jan 06, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I read it the summer before I took an intense biology course and it really helped me to understand the material. I still have it 4 years later!
Lindsay
Jul 20, 2009 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent reference book for anyone involved in movements of any kind ;-) The drawings are very clear and the book is easy to navigate.
cathy
Jun 09, 2007 cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitnessmovement
Great need-to-know guide. Use this when studying pilates and yoga. Excellent reference tool when used with a more traditional anatomy book.
Cassandra
Aug 29, 2007 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bodyworkers
I'm re-reading this in preparation for more Pilates training. Great book for those who want to know more about the anatomy of movement!
Kat
Jun 30, 2010 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good anatomy book- clear illustrations of muscles and bones, along with pictures of different movements
Rospoicha
Aug 06, 2008 Rospoicha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
clear explanations of the basics of anatomy/myology
succinct and elegant illustrations.
Janie
Jan 31, 2008 Janie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: body-works
So comprehensive, it'll forever be on my "currently reading" list.

Mary
Jan 08, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations and description of the body mechanics involved are wonderful.
John
Jan 24, 2009 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anatomy
A great reference for understanding anatomy and muscle structure.
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • Trail Guide to the Body: How to locate the body's muscles, bones and more (Third Edition)
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • The Anatomy Coloring Book
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Yoga Anatomy
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers
  • Travell & Simons' Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual: Two Volume Set: Second Edition/Volume 1 and First Edition/Volume 2
  • Light on Prãnãyãma: The Yogic Art of Breathing
  • Job's Body: A Handbook for Bodywork
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)