He Is Not Silent: Preaching in a Postmodern World

He Is Not Silent: Preaching in a Postmodern World

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  33 reviews
"Contemporary preaching suffers from a loss of confidence in the power of the Word, from an infatuation with technology,from an embarrassment before the biblical text, from an evacuation of biblical content, from a focus on felt needs, from an absence of gospel." Preaching, the practice of publicly expositing the Bible, has fallen on hard times. How did this happen? After...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Moody Publishers

Joseph McBee
The last words of this excellent volume on the ministry of preaching are; "Where are the Spurgeons of this generation?" In a sense, Mohler spends the entire book challenging his readers to be Spurgeons in this generation. So much so in fact, that I would recommend reading the Epilogue first and then with the last words of the book fresh in your mind, start with the first chapter.
Nate
Not exactly what I was expecting, but OK in the long run. The first couple of chapters are good the rest didn't keep my attention. John Macarthur's Expository Preaching is worth your time and money if you want to know more about preaching and expository sermons.
Dennis Thurman
Not a book about the technical side of homiletics, but a clarion call to passion and conviction in preaching to the post-modern world. It stirs the soul of the preacher. Mohler continually reminds the pastor of the sufficiency of Scripture in ministry.
Douglas Wilson
Cogent and delightful.
Rachel Blom
He Is Not Silent: Preaching in a Postmodern World, written by Albert Mohler, the president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, confused me in several ways, the first of which being that the subtitle (‘preaching in a postmodern world’) seemed to indicate the book was about preaching to a postmodern world or generation. But only one chapter deals with postmodernism and its one of the very last chapters in this book.

In reality, this book is a passionate plea to return to expository preach...more
Timothy Bertolet
This is a great book on preaching. It gives a theological underpinning for preaching, particularly in our postmodern world where we are told preaching is outdated. Mohler stands like a soldier on a hill marshalling faithful men to hear the call of God and preach the gospel unadulterated. Mohler looks at key Biblical text to show that God has called his people to be people of the word, God desires His people to hear his word, God uses the power of the preached word and the pastor's highest callin...more
Peter Coleman
I can dig Mohler's preaching and I find a lot of value in his book. While I preach expositionally and believe greatly in such preaching's effectiveness and necessity, Mohler overstates the case for expository preaching. He says that preaching that is not expository is not preaching.

If this is his definition of preaching, and it is, then Mohler has a great deal of 'preaching' in the Bible to deal with. Was Peter's Pentecost sermon not preaching or does it exposit a text?

To be fair, Mohler does no...more
Kurt
This book, with its solid and confident support for expository preaching, is aimed mostly at people who are in a position to put its wisdom into practice (for example.. preachers), but as a church member who usually just listens to sermons, I found it surprisingly helpful. For most of the book, Mohler defines what he means by expository preaching (I'm not doing it justice when I say "preaching from the Bible, guided by the text itself," but I think I'm giving a fair first impression), which made...more
Justin Clausen
Excellent book on the primacy and importance of expository preaching (that being redundant as the book says).
My favorite section:
"Indeed, I will go so far as to assert that if you are at peace with the world, you [the preacher] have abdicated your calling. You have become a court preacher to some earthly power, no matter how innocuous it might appear. To put it simply, you have been bought! If there is no controversy in your ministry, there is probably very little content to your preaching."

As...more
Louis Fritz v
Given the current trend of the postmodern movement in society today, the training of preachers and teachers of Scripture is crucial to both engaging the culture with the truth of the Gospel and engaging lives in life-changing, Christ-filling ways. While Mohler does an excellent job of setting the importance of the task of preachers today in the sharing of the Gospel and presents an excellent dissection of current trends and the difficulties with which preachers will face, his text does little in...more
Michael Boling
How to preach truth to a post-modern world where truth is claimed by most to be relative to the individual hearer is quite the difficult task. For some preachers, declaring the truth of God’s word has taken a backseat to clever marketing tactics in the vein of the seeker sensitive model. In an effort to reach the unchurched, the seeker sensitive approach far too often engenders the idea of adjusting the timeless truth of God’s word, something Scripture declares is a dangerous road to take. Dr. A...more
Douglas Adu-Boahen
Let's face it - preaching in the evangelical world has seriously fallen on bad times. The day of the "pulpit stalwarts" - men like John Calvin, C.H. Spurgeon, G. Campbell Morgan, D. Martyn Lloyd Jones - are a faint memory in the collective evangelical conscience.

But there are voices of encouragement for those desiring to pick up the Biblical mandate to preach the Word with authority, clarity and reverence. One of those voices is R. Albert Mohler Jr, president of Southern Baptist Theological Sem...more
Chase Austin

I am not a preacher but I see the effects of a postmodern world in the newspaper I read, the television and movies I watch and even the educational books I read as a teacher and using the bible as my foundation the fact that I continued to return to was these things are not biblical and most times not even moral. Dr. Mohler offers a fascinating look into the life of a preacher, describing first what that shouldn't look like in our postmodern world and then detailing what that should look like....more
Clara Roberts
Mohler's primary thesis is that preaching should be the primary focus of worship not music or etc. This was a 4 cd book that I listen to as I drove around on errands and to school. The last half of the forth cd focused on Charles Haddon Spurgeon. It was most interesting. For almost half a century Spurgeon preached two sermons each Sunday. He spent all week coming up with his subject and then on Saturday night he locked himself in his study and did not come out untill it was time to preach. His s...more
Mark A Powell
Since evangelical Christians believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, evangelical preaching should be centered on and flow from the sole authority of the Scriptures. Where this isn’t the case, Mohler argues, churches become anemic and ill-equipped to cope with the realities of the world around them. Though some of this book seems slightly disjointed, the core message is both sound and vital, especially to those who proclaim God’s Word to His people.
Daniel Alvers
Well written, a book that is needed in our day. Simple to the point without all the fluffy stuff. This book was passionate, well written, and short. In many ways I wish it had kept going. I really liked this book a lot. I can't put it on the level of preaching and preachers by Lloyd-Jones. If you have not read that book on preaching please repent and read it now.
Sally
Mohler makes a strong case for bold expositional preaching. Having suffered through my share of "pithy points that come together in a staple outline form", I long for such preaching. I hope and pray that more of today's pastors will love and revere the Word more than their own paraphrase of it.
Giancarlo Montemayor
Really good.

A call to expositional preaching, faithfulness and endurance in the christian ministry.

In an era where truth is diminished to an opinion, this is a book that will challenge, encourage and exhort your call as a preacher with tons and tons of Scripture verses.

Daniel
Excellent book! The act of preaching the Word has been downplayed and/or redefined so much that this book was a refreshing reminder about what Biblical preaching is and why it is necessary. I especially liked the chapter on Charles Spurgeon that Mohler concluded the book with.
Steve Hemmeke
Solid, Sproul-esque kind of book.
Don't dilute the Gospel, degrade preaching's worth or centrality, get casual, preach from your own ideas instead of the Bible, etc.

Pretty light on practical helps - Mohler is a better abstract, big-idea kind of guy.
Christosopher Hughes
I gave four stars because it starts very slow to me. I had to get to chapter 3 before I really began to enjoy this book. If you start reading it and are bored, I encourage you to keep going. It gets better and is worth trudging through.
Craig Houston
Encouraging book for the minster who desires to be a faithful preacher of the Word of God. We must remember that no matter the culture or generation God still works through the foolishness of preaching.
Michael Locklear
Excellent book! Very encouraging and insightful. To every pastor - proclaimer of God's Word - I would say, "Read Albert Mohler, Jr.'s 'He Is Not Silent.'"
Chad Gray
Solid, biblical advice for making sure the main things remain the main things in preaching and worship services-the Word of God & the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Matt Pitts
A great encouragement to pastors to refocus their energy on faithfully preaching the word of God. Certainly recommended.
John Yelverton
A, sadly, desperately needed discussion on the importance of truthful and Godly preaching in today's world.
Jim Suttle
Good book...not my favorite about preaching, but a good one yet still
J. Gary
Excellent. Strong emphasis on the need for expository preaching
Wes Nunley
Incredible. Simply put, incredible. A must read for preachers.
Demetrius Rogers
Mohler overstates his case on a number of points.
  • Preaching and Preachers
  • Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today
  • The Jesus You Can't Ignore: What You Must Learn from the Bold Confrontations of Christ
  • The Trellis And The Vine
  • Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon
  • The Unquenchable Flame: Discovering the Heart of the Reformation
  • In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages
  • The Expository Genius of John Calvin
  • The Courage to Be Protestant: Truth-Lovers, Marketers, and Emergents in the Postmodern World
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
Dr. R. Albert Mohler Jr. serves as president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary - the flagship school of the Southern Baptist Convention and one of the largest seminaries in the world.

Dr. Mohler has been recognized by such influential publications as Time and Christianity Today as a leader among American evangelicals. In fact, Time.com called him the “reigning intellectual of the evangel...more
More about R. Albert Mohler Jr....
The Conviction to Lead: 25 Principles for Leadership That Matters Culture Shift: Engaging Current Issues with Timeless Truth (Today's Critical Concerns) Atheism Remix: A Christian Confronts the New Atheists Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching Desire and Deceit: The Real Cost of the New Sexual Tolerance