Start by marking “The Curse Of The Giant Hogweed (Peter Shandy #5)” as Want to Read:
The Curse Of The Giant Hogweed (Peter Shandy #5)

The Curse Of The Giant Hogweed (Peter Shandy #5)

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  348 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Professor Peter Shandy, Balaclava College's best amateur sleuth, takes on a pest threatening to wipe Britain's lovely hedgerows. With colleagues Dan Stott and Timothy Ames, he leaves the groves of academe for fancy fieldword in the heart of Wales. Never in their wildest dreams did the three expect the bizarre events awaiting them.... Where Miss Hilda Horsefall's recipe for ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 184 pages
Published 1985 by Doubleday & Company, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Curse Of The Giant Hogweed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse Of The Giant Hogweed

Stephanie
Jan 13, 2013 Stephanie marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Some other day, a whimsical magic adventure in an otherwise mundane mystery series might appeal to me. At the moment, it reads like a dream sequence, and I want to kill it with fire.
Karen
Dec 23, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars. This entry into MacLeod's Peter Shandy Mystery series is different from all of her others. It took a bit to get into it because of the old fashioned language she uses in this. Once I got used to it, the story was quite funny, and I am glad I read it.
C.
Jun 16, 2014 C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte Armstrong’s heroes exercise wit in uproarious circumstances. Best of all, she infused in all her work, the most unique edge. Every title stands out and her unforgettable covers are a hodgepodge of classic mystery, something macabre, and sheer whimsy. She possessed an unmitigated gift to make you feel her protagonists were sharing normal concerns; while you marvelled at the assortment of oddities she dreamed up. Plots that *might* happen but which none of us heard of! She laid out a com ...more
George
May 26, 2015 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
#5 in the Professor Peter Shandy tongue-in-cheek mystery series. Professor Peter Shandy, Balaclava College's best amateur sleuth, takes on a pest threatening to wipe out Britain's lovely hedgerows. With colleagues Dan Stott and Timothy Ames, he leaves the groves of academe for fancy fieldword in the heart of Wales and soon find themselves in a fantasy early Middle Ages type world. The tone is solid humor as the three work themselves through various situations, life threatening and not, as well a ...more
Niki Beecher
Aug 14, 2014 Niki Beecher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ripoff!! I like MacLeod's Shandy series, so bought the "next book", which turned out to be this one, which turned out to be a completely different kettle of fish, as it were. It's total fantasy, not that well done, and has nothing to do with any of the Shandy books I read or expected. I got far enough in to think "WTF??", glanced ahead a few chapters--it didn't change--went to the end, and threw it away. Shame on you, Charlotte!
Emily
Aug 27, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly, absurd, fantastic!

Of all of Charlotte MacLeod/Alisa Craig's mystery series, the Peter Shandy series is my favorite. None of them are Important Literature by any means. They are pure fluff, but oh, so much fun!

A lot of people don't seem to appreciate this one, and it's understandable. The series is generally based at a fictional agricultural college in modern (late 20th-early 21st century) New England. In this book, our heroes are transported back in time to the period of knights and drago
Arlene
Aug 14, 2014 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
Still the same lovable characters, but the setting was distinctly different. While in England on the Welsh border, researching the problem of giant hogweed plaguing farmers and anyone rural, Professors Shandy, Stott, and Ames find themselves in long ago Wales, also troubled by giant hogweed. They navigate their way through some fantastic adventures, but find the cure for giant hogweed along the way.
Jenn Estepp
Definitely the weirdest entry in this series (or maybe any mystery series). The "mystery" is a frame for Macleod to write a fantasy romp extended dream sequence, like just kind of plopping some of her characters down in the middle of a Welsh/Norwegian Monty Python sketch. It takes a mental adjustment, but once you get there it's quite fun and must've been a hoot to write.
Denise Spicer
Featuring Peter Shandy and friends in an odd and not completely convincing story set in medieval Wales. Full the usual Shanty silliness, this book is a slow read due to uninteresting “mystery’ and clumsy, made up olden day dialect.
Jody Hamilton
I usually like the Peter Shandy myteries by Charlotte Macleod, but had a hard time getting through this one.
Carla
Jan 21, 2015 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
omg what fun!
Susan
Aug 16, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can’t express how much I enjoy Charlotte MacLeod’s stories. However, I didn’t care for this one. She sets her characters in a dream which takes place in ancient Wales. I enjoy fantasy stories but this just felt wrong. It was hard for me to get through and I found myself skimming through most of it. I will continue with the series and hope the dreamscape is a onetime deviation.
Haldis
Jan 02, 2016 Haldis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely different, but fun
Donna
Dec 23, 2013 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2013
Interesting diversion in this series as the entire story is a dream sequence in which Peter and two of his cronies from Balaclava College are transported to a medieval world and go on a classic swords and sorcery quest. It's as witty and tongue-in-cheek as the rest of the series.
Susan
Apr 21, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoa...this was a difficult read for me. The accents and spellings were so hard to follow. I got quickly that it was like an Alice lost in Wonderland but not as intriguing. But I did finish it.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I love the sense of humor she infuses into her mysteries. I should reread them, since the Professor Peter Shandy ones take place in a college, and I work in one.
Mel
Aug 23, 2010 Mel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-as-an-adult
Professor Shandy is back in another Charlotte MacLeod mystery but this one veers off into bizarre territory. I gave up on it halfway through.
Teddi
Mar 20, 2013 Teddi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
Once I got through the first couple a chapters thinking "what the hell is this", I actually began to enjoy it immensely! The quirkiness is BACK!
Maria
Jan 15, 2013 Maria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Although this has some interest and I imagine it was an interesting for Ms. MacLeod to write, all I can really say about it is, "Weird!"
Jenna
May 31, 2010 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun. Much different from the other Peter Shandy Mysteries. This one takes on a mystic adventure in another place and time.
Kathryn McCary
Unbearable. The underlying idea would have been fun, but the incompetent Olde Englishe was excruciating. Too bad …
Kim
Oct 23, 2013 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the Peter Shandy books are silly, but charming. This one was just plain silly and stupid.
Debbie
Feb 08, 2008 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Debbie by: Me mum
I thoroughly enjoyed this dated little flight of fantasy and the author's take on medieval Welsh is a treat!
Mary Rose
It was interesting fantasy departure but not my favorite of the Peter Shandy books.
Lia Marcoux
WHAT. This was nuts. Lots of fun. But straight-up nuts.
Kailey
Sep 07, 2013 Kailey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Amusing, but not amazing.
Gary Sundell
Gary Sundell marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
  • The Grub-And-Stakers House a Haunt (Grub-And-Stakers #5)
  • The Stolen Blue (Claire Reynier, #1)
  • Home Sweet Homicide
  • Misery Loves Maggody (Arly Hanks, #11)
  • Nice Girls Finish Last (Robin Hudson, #2)
  • I.O.U. (Jenny Cain, #7)
  • Murder in the Rose Garden (Eleanor Roosevelt, #7)
  • The Man in the Mist
  • Wings Above the Diamantina
Naturalized US Citizen

Also wrote as Alisa Craig

Charlotte MacLeod, born in New Brunswick, Canada, and a naturalized U.S. citizen, was the multi-award-winning author of over thirty acclaimed novels. Her series featuring detective Professor Peter Shandy, America's homegrown Hercule Poirot, delivers "generous dollops of...warmth, wit, and whimsy" (San Francisco Sunday Examiner and Chronicle). But full
More about Charlotte MacLeod...

Peter Shandy (10 books)
  • Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1)
  • The Luck Runs Out (Peter Shandy, #2)
  • Wrack and Rune (Peter Shandy, #3)
  • Something The Cat Dragged In (Peter Shandy, #4)
  • The Corpse In Oozak's Pond (Peter Shandy, #6)
  • Vane Pursuit (Peter Shandy, #7)
  • An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy, #8)
  • Something in the Water (Peter Shandy, #9)
  • Exit the Milkman (Peter Shandy, #10)