Mother and Child: Visions of Parenting from Indigenous Cultures

Mother and Child: Visions of Parenting from Indigenous Cultures

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  2 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Mothers shape the world in which we live through the love and guidence they give their children. Award-winning journalist and photographer Jan Reynolds explored the mother/child relationship through seven stages of life--marriage, pregnancy, birth, infancy, toddling, independence, and adolescence--while living with women in the Himalaya, the Sahara, the Aboriginal Outback,...more
Published October 1st 1996 by Inner Traditions

Amanda
Mar 17, 2008 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone having or dealing at all with kids
I keep meaning to finish this one -- it's interesting, but it's written a little goofy for me. Kind of aahh-aaahh-aahh--we are all one--aaahhh. That said, I think the author is sincere, and I do appreciate her perspective from having traveled extensively and befriended parents and children all over the world. I always appreciate a new viewpoint on parenting culture and how what we consider the "right" way to do things is usually just a limited cultural construct.
Jen
Jan 29, 2011 Jen added it
I liked this book a lot, especially the section on independence. I did think that the book was overly preachy about the benefits of attachment parenting, since I already practiced home birth, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, etc., and was looking for more insight rather than reiterating what I already knew. My kids and I really enjoyed looking at the pictures, though, and I'm glad I read it. It was a really, really fast read.
Yvette
Aug 07, 2010 Yvette added it
Shelves: motherhood, mothers
A lovely, simple photo-based book looking at mothering in indigenous cultures. Once again illustrating how much "modern" society has unlearned. Beautiful photos.
Kischka
Kischka marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Jess Zerr
Jess Zerr marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Terese Stockdale
Terese Stockdale marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2013
Marielle Lien
Marielle Lien marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2012
Jennifer Lange
Jennifer Lange marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2012
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2010
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2008
Only the Mountains Do Not Move: A Maasai Story of Culture and Conservation Cycle of Rice, Cycle of Life: A Story of Sustainable Farming Frozen Land Down Under Amazon Basin