Ancient Ones (Random House Large Print (Paper))

Ancient Ones (Random House Large Print (Emmett Parker and Anna Turnipseed #3)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From Kirk Mitchell comes a riveting suspense thriller in the tradition of Tony Hillerman and Joseph Wambaugh, featuring Bureau of Indian Affairs Criminal Investigator Emmett Quanah Parker and FBI Special Agent Anna Turnipseed, two Native American cops searching for justice between their heritage and the law.

Though there are signs of foul play, Emmett Quanah Parker and Anna...more
Published April 6th 2004 by Random House Large Print (first published 2001)

Elizabeth
I've just discovered Kirk Mitchell and got hooked on his two law enforcement characters.

I like that the murders, which are creepy and macabre, take place on different reservations and that the main characters themselves are from different tribes.

This novel in particular was my favorite. Again, maybe the setting and blend of supernatural and spiritual beliefs. Also, leaves some incidents ambiguous enough that there could have been supernatural forces at work, but not conclusively.
Jolie
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I read that some have found the book lacking in certain areas and feel that it doesn't match up to being compared to Tony Hillerman. I'm a big fan of HIllerman, and I think that of course this has the Native American investigators in common with HIllerman's books and the settings on native lands, but Mitchell's stories also involve some very modern angles that I suppose are a matter of taste (many did not like the romantic/sexual dysfunction subplot, but I found it...more
Pauline
Nicely written modern day murder mystery based on archaeological debates of today. Two American Indian law enforcement officers accidently get snared into an archaeological debate over a set of ancient bones found by a Basque shephard in Washington State. As the debate as to whether to investigate the bones further or turn them over to a local tribe for reburial brews, murders of people associated with the find begin to spin a complicated web of investigation for the two officers.

The book was in...more
Ron
I liked the plot of this book, but, just couldn't connect with the characters. Neither Parker or Turnipseed were characters that I cared about. Not sure just what it was, but, really didn't care much what happened to them. Within the plot, I liked that they "solved" it, but, not much more for me in those characters. And, since I prefer character driven books, I'm doubting that I'll ever return to Mitchell's books. In particular, not any using Parker and/or Turnipseed. Although, as I say, the plo...more
Tom Gorski
Great "who done it" with fascinating insight into a variety of First Nation (in particular Commanche, Medoc, Paiute and Wasco) history, spirituality and practices (this time the crime takes place on a reservation in Oregon that I'd driven through some years back so I could picture the scenes in the novel). The personal story between the two primary protangonists is also well done.
Cyn
3.5 STARS

This was my first Kirk Mitchell book, and I found out it was (IIRC), the third novel in the Parker/Turnipseed series. So now I want to go back and check out the first two.

I knocked off a half star only because I didn't totally connect with the characters, but that might have more to do with the fact that I jumped into this series halfway through.
Sarahandus
When a book starts out in a psychologist's office talking about the clients sex life, it's not on my "to read" list. I would throw it across the room except that I respect books too much.
A second attempt starting later in the book took me to scientists squabbling.
This isn't anything like Tony Hillerman to me.
Pa
May 22, 2011 Pa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in native American detective stories
A decent tale of mystery based around the discovery of about a 14,000 year old skeleton. Was it American Indian or Caucasian? The main investigators are American Indian by heritage. An exciting story, but some aspects are just too far-fetched, even though they are 'explained' in the end.
Carmen Tafolla
I don't usually read detective novels or mystery novels because I tire of "formula" predictability, but this book was a delight to read, and delicious from beginning to end. Culturally rich, unusual concepts, and respect for the spirit of the Southwest, it never grew predictable or boring.
Edna Little Fish In Running Waters Spring
Jan 10, 2009 Edna Little Fish In Running Waters Spring added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in Native American Culture and Mysteries
Recommended to Edna Little Fish by: Found it on my own.
This is the first book that i read by Kirk Mitchell and will NOT be my last.
I learned alot about the Reservations in Oregon and Washington that I had no idea about.
This book was so exciting that I couldn't put it down.
Glenda
Very well written mystery set in my home state of Oregon. It includes interesting Native American myths and the action is continuous. A few scenes were a bit more graphic than I like but in other areas the author uses good sense.
Sue
First read of this author for me. I'll definitely try another one. I liked the characters. It got a little gruesome and hopefully the others won't be as bad.
AzDoodle
Loved it. Story was well woven ancient beliefs and traditions and modern. Will definitely read another in the series.
Jo-Ann Murphy
It held my interest but the plot was a bit gory and hard to take.
Lauretta Allen
I'm a sucker for Native American mysteries.
Little Fish
Absolutely one of my favorite Books
Carolyn Injoy
Carolyn Injoy marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Dot
Dot marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Lloyd
Lloyd marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Daniele
Daniele marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Hazel-mary Jackson
Hazel-mary Jackson marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Debbie Larouche
Debbie Larouche marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Stephanie Mccalister
Stephanie Mccalister marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • The Shadow Dancer (Wind River Reservation, #8)
  • The Shaman Sings (Charlie Moon, #1)
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
  • White Sky, Black Ice (Nathan Active Mystery, #1)
Kirk Mitchell is an author who is known for his time travel, alternate history, historical fiction, and adventure fiction novels. Mitchell has also created several novelizations of movies.He writes under the pseudonym of Joel Norst

Kirk Mitchell served as a deputy sheriff on the Paiute- Shoshone Indian reservations of the desert country that includes Death Valley, and was a SWAT sergeant in souther...more
More about Kirk Mitchell...
Spirit Sickness Cry Dance Sky Woman Falling Dance of the Thunder Dogs Mississippi Burning