Start by marking “One Drop of Blood (Kel McKelvey, #1)” as Want to Read:
One Drop of Blood (Kel McKelvey, #1)

One Drop of Blood (Kel McKelvey #1)

Robert Dean "Kel" McKelvey, burned out after 15 years, has bones of Jimmie Carl Trimble, Vietnam War hero -- or does he? A rare DNA sequence, at both Army and FBI labs, links to 40-year-old unsolved racial Arkansas double killing. Kel's partner is volatile FBI agent Michael Levine. Can they unravel web of silence, stolen identity, betrayal, patriotism, collusion, and lies?
Published May 9th 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about One Drop of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Drop of Blood

Jim
Very well read & the mystery dovetailed nicely with a recent nonfiction read, Dead Men Do Tell Tales: The Strange and Fascinating Cases of a Forensic Anthropologist by William R. Maples. Maples spent time identifying the remains of soldiers just as Kell, the main character, does. All the science was well done from what I could tell & the situation was twisty enough.

There's a very good question being asked overall, too. Is it always a good idea to open old cases & identify old remain
Jen
I thought this book was absolutely outstanding. I listened to it on audiobook, read by Patrick Lawlor. He was phenomenal. I believe he is my favorite audiobook reader to date. He truly made the book come alive.

Thomas Holland's crime fiction novel involves an anthropologist from the Central Identification Labratory in Hawaii (CILHI) and a black-sheep FBI agent from New York City. The two characters find themselves in small-town east Arkansas trying to solve their respective cases.

The regional co
An Odd1
Apr 14, 2015 An Odd1 rated it did not like it
"All we need is a drop of blood from a relative and we can put this one to rest. If we just knew who" p 332. For those with strong stomach and curiosity. Author sounds like he knows his material. "Presently CIL scientific director", he worked in Iraq, N. Korea, Cambodia, and "manicured lawns of Arlington VA" says back flap.

"One last time ... can you call me -" p 8 are last words of Jimmy Carl Trimble in Vietnam War 1966, before buying time for rest of platoon to escape. Decomposing body misses
Beth
Aug 18, 2015 Beth rated it liked it
Average.
Msjodi777
Oct 24, 2016 Msjodi777 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book, in spite of the fact that I figured out the mystery, Mr. Holland tossed in an ending that I didn't figure out. Narrator was excellent, though a bit understated. <><
Erin Lee Arvin
I wanted to like this book so much more than I ultimately did. Cold cases, MIA/presumed dead soldiers, old families in the Deep South? Sounds like the recipe for a good read. However well-researched this book appears to be (right down to the Batesville caskets) the writing is cliched and stereotypical. It perpetuates the ages-old myth that all Southerners are racist, ignorant, uneducated meatheads with sweet tea in their veins and no thoughts in their skulls.

It is readily apparent that the auth
Robert
Mar 21, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the first in a series of two novels and it is a fantastic start to the series. The inside of the dust cover describes this as the pitch-perfect thriller. Well I tend to disagree on that. While I feel that this is a fantastic mystery I do not really see it fitting in the thriller category. The storytelling capabilities of this author are first rate and he can keep the reader going right up to the very end. Something about this really felt like an old comfortable blanket to me. Something y ...more
LJ
ONE DROP OF BLOOD (Lic. Invest-Arkansas, Louisiana, Maryland-Cont) – DNF
Holland, Thomas – 1st book
Berkeley, 2007, US Paperback – ISBN: 9780425216934
First Sentence: He could smell them.
*** Kel McKelvey, Director of the U.S. Army Central Identification Laboratory, has been sent to Arkansas in an attempt to unravel the mystery of a forty-year old racial killing and a soldier who was supposed to have died in Vietnam.
*** It started out well but became so overloaded with scientific details, I decided
Evelyn
Apr 19, 2008 Evelyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Dr. "Kel" McKelvey of the Army's Central Identification Laboratory is assigned to help the FBI identify two suspected civil rights protesters killed in Arkansas in the '60s.

Dr. Thomas Holland is the real-life director of the Central Identification Laboratory in Hawaii. An exciting debut novel, full of forensic details as well as Vietnam remembrances.
Karoni
Jan 25, 2009 Karoni rated it it was amazing
This book, written by someone I've known for umpteen years, was fabulous - even if I am a bit biased about the writer. ;-) It weaves in the MIA accounting issue with a murder investigation in Arkansas. The two main characters are hilarious - laughing out loud isn't something one normally gets when reading a murder mystery. I highly recommend it.
Martin Bihl
very enjoyable view into how the CIL works - against the backdrop of a colorful - if not completely baffling - murder mystery. Some of the characters are a little weakly drawn, and the ending is a bit abrupt - as if mr. holland ran out of paper - but all in all a good first shot.
Carolyn
Apr 16, 2010 Carolyn rated it liked it
Has some definite first-novel issues -- expository lumps, abrupt POV changes within paragraphs -- but good story line and characters, nice Southern flavor (speaking as a Southerner) and interesting plot. Look forward to the next one.
Lacy
Sep 03, 2007 Lacy rated it liked it
My second cousin wrote this one. Go Tom! Names of my family are tucked all around. I think there's even a Lacy in there, although that's more a nod to my dad and grandfather than to me.
Melisa
Jul 23, 2009 Melisa rated it did not like it
There wasn't a single likable character in this book. The plot wasn't bad, but I didn't enjoy spending time with these people.
Kathy
Aug 03, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
Good mystery. It gets a bit technical but if you push through, a very good story. I look forward to book #2.
Lacy Katherine
Jan 02, 2015 Lacy Katherine rated it liked it
Michelle
Oct 13, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
I liked the story and the main character, Kel. I did not like the FBI agent. If
the author was trying to make sure we didn't like him, she did a good job.
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2007
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2009
Stephen Venz
Stephen Venz rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2009
Pat
Sep 13, 2008 Pat rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
Predictable and simplistic. Just didn't like it.
Kellysutterfield
Oct 29, 2008 Kellysutterfield rated it really liked it
Written by a friend of ours, I really enjoyed this as a first novel.
Brian Johnson
Brian Johnson rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Kailani
Kailani rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Cara
Cara rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2009
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2011
Dennis Osborn
Dennis Osborn rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2016
Victoria Echanis
Victoria Echanis rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2014
Christy Morris
Christy Morris rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • On the Ropes (The Duffy Dombrowski Mysteries, #1)
  • Mortal Evidence: The Forensics Behind Nine Shocking Cases
  • Tin City Tinder: A Thriller (Boone Childress Mysteries)
  • West of Western (Chicago Stories, #1)
  • Horse's Arse
  • Bad Traffic: An Inspector Jian Novel
  • Edited for Death (Amy Hobbes #1)
  • World Without End
  • Three's a Crowd (Patrick Shea Mystery, #1)
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • Next Move, You're Dead (Next Move, You're Dead, #1)
  • Funeral Music
  • Running from the Devil (Emma Caldridge, #1)
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
  • Remains Silent (Jake Rosen & Manny Manfreda  #1)
  • Bangkok Burn (Bangkok Series #1)
  • The Concert Killer
  • The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1)
Thomas Holland is presently the Scientific Director of the Department of Defense's Central Identification Laboratory, the largest skeletal identification laboratory in the world. In this position he has led forensic recoveries around the world, from the barren deserts of Iraq to the steamy jungles of Vietnam to the snow-covered mountains of North Korea. In 1993, while conducting a recovery near th ...more
More about Thomas Holland...

Kel McKelvey (2 books)