Start by marking “Alphonse Mucha: Masterworks” as Want to Read:
Alphonse Mucha: Masterworks

Alphonse Mucha: Masterworks

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  184 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Showcasing the Art Nouveau masterpieces of one of the world's most outstanding and treasured artists, this beautifully illustrated reference book charts the life and work of a man who epitomized Parisian art during the fin-de-siecle.
Telling the story of a man who was to dazzle the commercial world, the first half of the book explores how he achieved such success. From his
Published 2007 by Flame Tree Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Alphonse Mucha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alphonse Mucha

Loederkoningin
Jan 24, 2013 Loederkoningin rated it really liked it
If I remember correctly - and chances are that I don’t - Art Nouveau (Jugendstil) was born during the peak of the Impressionism, mostly as a response to the increase of mass production and industrialism and the "ugliness" of the thereby inspired art and architecture. Instead, Jugendstil feels like an ode to the imagination, to the beauty of nature and to romance. I’m so very fond of it!

And of course this art style is inextricably linked to the Czech artist Alphonse Mucha. He died in Prague in 19
Jaimie
Dec 25, 2015 Jaimie rated it it was amazing
As with all art books, I was frustrated at points while reading this book from all the flipping back and forth between sections to be able to look at the illustrations that matched the text, but I will forgive this volume since its pages collect an absolutely stunning array of Mucha's work. Unlike some Mucha books that I've read, the colour representation was absolutely spot on, and the size of the images adequately represented Mucha's artwork (with specially blown up sections to zoom in on some ...more
Katelyn
Jan 05, 2016 Katelyn rated it it was amazing
If I could I would give this more stars! Alphonse Mucha is one of my fav artists. When reading this book I felt closer to the artist and understood his art even more.
The way he paints women is so amazingly beautiful! As someone who as low self esteem issues his work makes me feel beautiful like a work of art with my lil ol' double chin and plus size body. So whenever I feel down about my body and wonder why I don't look like the girls and women in today's media I remember Alphonse Muchas art an
J.souza
Feb 26, 2013 J.souza rated it really liked it
Shelves: arte, favorites
This book is beautiful. The cover itself is a piece of art.

In here you'll find- as the title says- the masterworks of Alphonse Mucha, probably the biggest name of Art Nouveau. At least my favourite one!

The print's are beautiful: some of full page, others even two pages, and most of them with screenshots of the details.

And I've found this for 22 bucks only!

I saw the others reviews and I understand why most said that the writing is terrible. The "Introduction" chapter is the worst, reapeating itse
Emeline
The book is beautifully made: tons of illustrations, banners borrowed from Mucha's "Illustrations .." book and all. But, the first part is horrid! The english is hesitant and terribly childish! I noticed it was printed in China (hello quality) which may be the source of the problem but even more surprising is the fact that the second part (Le Style Mucha) is pristine! Very strange.

I really prefered the second part as it was more of an elaborate research into his parisian work, poster after poste
Carmen
Jan 20, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Art Noveau always catches my eye. It 's like the icing on the cake for art to me. Mucha doesn't disappoint. His work is supremely beautiful. His flowing dresses, designs, and colors just transmit joy.
Leslie Barr
Mar 13, 2015 Leslie Barr rated it it was amazing
My favorite artist of all time. Just love his style.
Troy
May 05, 2014 Troy rated it it was amazing
Containing full color plates of work I haven't seen before, this book is beefy and a great repository of Mucha's style. SO much inspiration here! Sketches, billboards, posters, postcards...A definite keeper in my library.
Pannita
Mar 11, 2014 Pannita rated it really liked it
The book features only his graphic works, not his stained glass window or interior decoration. Anyway, the included artworks are awesome! In my opinion, this book is highly recommended for Mucha’s fans and Art Nouveau’s lovers. More detail review at http://korpannita.wordpress.com/2014/...
Laurel
Nov 15, 2009 Laurel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artists, art lovers
Recommended to Laurel by: Paul Ritscher
Shelves: reference
What a fantastic book! Well-written, with striking images that bring a tear to any eye, this book is an invaluable reference to the beauty that Mucha brought into the world.
Amazingly well put together and concise.

My only disparaging remark might be that it doesn't include things like his sketches, but perhaps they were not available at the time.
Rosalía
Apr 29, 2010 Rosalía rated it it was amazing
Beautiful!I have a print of Absinthe Robette. But I'd love to have them all. I suppose, I'll just enjoy my Book.
Belcky
Nov 07, 2009 Belcky rated it really liked it
It was on sale so I bought it for the pictures more than the info. A beautiful book.
Ash
Jun 24, 2012 Ash marked it as reference  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: box-5
ALPHONSE MUCHA MASTERWORKS by ROSALIND ORMISTON (2007)
mathilda_craft
I love Alphonse Mucha. Enough said.
Emilia
Sep 01, 2010 Emilia rated it it was ok
Pretty pictures, dry as a church wafer.
John
Jan 09, 2009 John rated it liked it
Nice mostly for the pictures. It would be better if the pictures followed the narrative better.
Jenny Hallyburton
Jenny Hallyburton marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
L
L marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Kneesa
Kneesa is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2016
Erasmus
Erasmus marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
John Jimenez
John Jimenez marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Ilya
Ilya marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
LiZi Bruklinsk
LiZi Bruklinsk marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Andre Davcev
Andre Davcev rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
  • Rackham's Fairy Tale Illustrations
  • Impressionism: Art, Leisure, and Parisian Society
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
  • The Art of the Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • Tamara de Lempicka 1898-1980 (Taschen Basic Art)
  • The Art of the Disney Princess