Start by marking “Alphonse Mucha: Masterworks” as Want to Read:
Alphonse Mucha: Masterworks

Alphonse Mucha: Masterworks

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Showcasing the Art Nouveau masterpieces of one of the world's most outstanding and treasured artists, this beautifully illustrated reference book charts the life and work of a man who epitomized Parisian art during the fin-de-siecle.
Telling the story of a man who was to dazzle the commercial world, the first half of the book explores how he achieved such success. From his
Published 2007 by Flame Tree Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Alphonse Mucha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alphonse Mucha

Loederkoningin
If I remember correctly - and chances are that I don’t - Art Nouveau (Jugendstil) was born during the peak of the Impressionism, mostly as a response to the increase of mass production and industrialism and the "ugliness" of the thereby inspired art and architecture. Instead, Jugendstil feels like an ode to the imagination, to the beauty of nature and to romance. I’m so very fond of it!

And of course this art style is inextricably linked to the Czech artist Alphonse Mucha. He died in Prague in 19
J.souza
This book is beautiful. The cover itself is a piece of art.

In here you'll find- as the title says- the masterworks of Alphonse Mucha, probably the biggest name of Art Nouveau. At least my favourite one!

The print's are beautiful: some of full page, others even two pages, and most of them with screenshots of the details.

And I've found this for 22 bucks only!

I saw the others reviews and I understand why most said that the writing is terrible. The "Introduction" chapter is the worst, reapeating itse
Emeline
The book is beautifully made: tons of illustrations, banners borrowed from Mucha's "Illustrations .." book and all. But, the first part is horrid! The english is hesitant and terribly childish! I noticed it was printed in China (hello quality) which may be the source of the problem but even more surprising is the fact that the second part (Le Style Mucha) is pristine! Very strange.

I really prefered the second part as it was more of an elaborate research into his parisian work, poster after poste
Troy
Containing full color plates of work I haven't seen before, this book is beefy and a great repository of Mucha's style. SO much inspiration here! Sketches, billboards, posters, postcards...A definite keeper in my library.
Pannita
The book features only his graphic works, not his stained glass window or interior decoration. Anyway, the included artworks are awesome! In my opinion, this book is highly recommended for Mucha’s fans and Art Nouveau’s lovers. More detail review at http://korpannita.wordpress.com/2014/...
Laurel
Nov 15, 2009 Laurel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artists, art lovers
Recommended to Laurel by: Paul Ritscher
Shelves: reference
What a fantastic book! Well-written, with striking images that bring a tear to any eye, this book is an invaluable reference to the beauty that Mucha brought into the world.
Amazingly well put together and concise.

My only disparaging remark might be that it doesn't include things like his sketches, but perhaps they were not available at the time.
Rosalía
Beautiful!I have a print of Absinthe Robette. But I'd love to have them all. I suppose, I'll just enjoy my Book.
Belcky
It was on sale so I bought it for the pictures more than the info. A beautiful book.
Ash
Jun 24, 2012 Ash marked it as reference  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: box-5
ALPHONSE MUCHA MASTERWORKS by ROSALIND ORMISTON (2007)
mathilda_craft
I love Alphonse Mucha. Enough said.
Emilia
Pretty pictures, dry as a church wafer.
John
Nice mostly for the pictures. It would be better if the pictures followed the narrative better.
Brittany Johnson
Brittany Johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Cristina
Cristina is currently reading it
Dec 26, 2014
Esi Too
Esi Too marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Brenna Fort
Brenna Fort marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Hks
Hks marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Mary Rose
Mary Rose marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Melrose
Melrose marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Ayny
Ayny marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
  • Alfons Mucha, 1860-1939: Master of Art Nouveau
  • Antoni Gaudi
  • Alphonse Mucha: The Spirit of Art Nouveau
  • The Complete Pin-Ups
  • Fairies
  • Incredible Cross-Sections (Stephen Biesty's Cross-sections)
  • The Art of the Disney Princess
  • The Art of Walt Disney: From Mickey Mouse to the Magic Kingdoms
  • New Media in Art
  • Knight
  • Tale as Old as Time: The Art and Making of Beauty and the Beast
  • Dinosaur (DK Eyewitness)
Art Nouveau: Posters & Illustration from the Glamorous Fin de Siècle Van Gogh: A Life in Art & Letters. William Morris: Artist, Craftsman, Pioneer Leonardo Da Vinci: His Life and Works in 500 Images: An Illustrated Exploration of the Artist, His Life and Context, with a Gallery of 300 of His Greatest Works Edward Hopper Masterpieces