Start by marking “The Bloomsday Dead” as Want to Read:
The Bloomsday Dead

The Bloomsday Dead (Dead Trilogy #3)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  719 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Michael Forsythe gets a phone call from his former lover, Bridget, saying her young daughter has been kidnapped. Michael must help her or be executed. Agreeing to nothing, he is soon on the way to Dublin, dead bodies in his wake.
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published March 1st 2007 by Blackstone Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about The Bloomsday Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bloomsday Dead

Ryan
May 28, 2008 Ryan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: McKinty Fans, Michael Forsythe Fans, adults
Barbara
Love this guy Michael Forsyth. These books would make great action films. Too bad Liam Neeson is too old for the role. Cliffhanger to the end and Michael is a one-man tour de force who gets out of impossible situation after impossible situation. The Belfast setting is a big plus, and at the end you wonder what's next. Want to see if there has been a follow up to this because I have to know....
Pegeen
uses at its frame James Joyce's "Ulysses" somewhat in homage and somewhat as a satire --- every Irishman is presumed to have read and committed Ulysses to heart, correct? Once in a while a bit over the top in the physical damage Michael emerges still ticking from, but other than that , I loved it. Listened to the Audible version read by Gerald Doyle -- outstanding narration.
Andrew
The third and final book in the Michael Forsythe storyline. With Bridget back in the story his emotions get the better of him. I kind of guessed the ending and am a bit indifferent about it, but the twist threw me for a great loop. I can't get enough of Adrian McKinty's stuff and would LOVE to see these turned into movies.
Sandi
The final book in the Michael Forsythe trilogy and just as good as the previous two. Totally engrossing from the first with excellent action/violence and a well described Belfast setting. Listened to the audio version narrated by Gerard Doyle who really brings Michael to life.
Joe Stamber
The third and final episode of a trilogy that, despite at least one reviewer claiming otherwise, needs to be read in order. Bloody and brutal, darkly comic in places with a bit of waxing lyrical thrown in, The Bloomsday Dead never pulls its punches. Michael is back in Belfast after many years away, supposedly to help an old lover turned adversary who stuck his face on a wanted poster after the events of the first book in the series. As in the previous books, Michael is constantly in peril, but r ...more
Jonathan
The final book in McKinty's "Dead" trilogy (Dead I May Well Be and The Dead Yard are the first two) is yet another rollicking action packed book. Michael Forsythe, the trilogy's protagonist, is a fast talking, literary quoting, violent man, prone to shooting first and asking questions later and in this book he heads back home to Belfast, Ireland to confront his main antagonist.

The book starts with Forsythe finally finding a comfortable hiding place in Peru, but of course this comes crashing down
Criticalmick
Tourists! Your Bloomin' Attention Please!

Every year, tens of thousands of Irish-Americans touch down in Dublin city, their holidays devoted to the goal of soaking up their ancestral culture like so many hyphenated sponges. Many of these visitors purchase Ulysses, a masterpiece by one of the 20th century's most influential authors, James Joyce (1882-1941).

Those tourists are big fat suckers. I tried reading Ulysses when studying literature at UCD. I worked hard on that novel for months. In despair
Helen
Published: Serpent’s Tail, 2008
ISBN: 978-1-84668-631-3

First line: State LY Plum P. Buck Mulligan.

In hiding from his old enemies, Michael Forsythe is working as head of security in a big hotel in Lima, Peru. Returning to his room one night he is ambushed by two gunmen who, instead of killing him, hand him a phone. The voice on the other end is that of his old girlfriend, Bridget Callaghan. Twelve years ago Michael killed her mob boss fiancé, and ever since Bridget has been trying to settle the sc
Karen
THE BLOOMSDAY DEAD is the third book in the Michael Forsythe "Dead" Trilogy - DEAD I WELL MAY BE and THE DEAD YARD are the earlier books. There's an awful lot to really like in THE BLOOMSDAY DEAD.

Firstly, it is the third book in a trilogy but I've been very remiss and haven't yet read the first two (which failing I vow to rectify). Didn't matter. You can follow the story, you can glean the back story of Michael and how he got himself into the mess that he's trying to resolve in THE BLOOMSDAY DEA
Cphe
This was a cracker of a book and a fitting finale to this wonderful trilogy. With each book the author has raised the bar with each installment.

Michel Forsythe returns to Ireland where it all started. He is asked to return by Brigid Callaghan his arch nemesis and the woman that he has a love/hate relationship with. Brigids daughter Siobahn has been kidnapped and she has exhausted all avenues, she is willing to bury the hatchet if Michael can single handedly return her daughter to her.

Michael For
Brice
Michael Forsythe is a lone investigator of the missing daughter of Mrs. Callaghan. He works alone, has little money to get around, and still manages to dodge thugs and cops. Adrian McKinity wrote this mystery based in the country of Ireland called, “The Bloomsday Dead”. I like this book because you can visualize it, it’s surreal and it happens around 36 hours also has a twist to the end.
The book happens in Ireland when the Catholics and the Protestants are on different sides of the country. Bom
Brice
Michael Forsythe is the lead investigator of the kidnapping of Siobhan. He works alone, little money to get around, dodgeing thugs and cops. Adrian mckinity wrote the this mystery based in the country of Ireland. The bloomsday Dead. I liked this book the most of all because you can really visualize it, its surreal in a way where this could actually happen and the book is based around a 48-hour time period.
The book happens around when the catholics and the protestans seperate the country of Irel
Josh
‘They say that when he was conceived the good fairy was on sabbatical. They say that when he was born vultures perched themselves on the houses of his enemies.’

‘The Bloomsday Dead’ is a bullet ridden romp through Irelands underbelly in which perennial protagonist Michael Forsyth is pitted against criminals and under world types from all walks of life as he tries to reclaim a former nemesis’s daughter from her captors. The dark and damp backdrop of Ireland creates an atmosphere of deep seeded de
Johnsergeant
Downloaded from Audible.com 3/15/07

Narrator: Gerard Doyle
Publisher: Blackstone Audiobooks, 2007
Length: 11 hours

Publisher's Summary

In this concluding book of Adrian McKinty's highly praised Dead series, Michael Forsythe confronts his former lover and archrival, Bridget, a New York Irish Mob boss.

Michael has survived his infiltration of an IRA splinter cell in Boston, and now, his many near fatal wounds healed, he begins his next adventure as manager of hotel security in Lima, Peru. It is there th
Greg
A disappointment following the second book of the trilogy. While there are two surprises at the end, an astute reader of both previous novel should see both coming from the beginning. One of the surprises was OK, but on the second I kept thinking the author wouldn't try pulling such a cliché stunt, that he was leading me down the wrong path, but no, he went did the worst possible ending imaginable. Very out of character.

Also, there is too much episodic action. Michael gets in trouble, Michael ge
Aoife62
After having read the Sean Duffy novels I was a bit sceptic whether the Dead series could match it. - It could! Although he is a multiple murderer, you feel with Michael Forsythe and fear for him. Main learning: the good ones are those whose motives you understand. So in the end, Michael appears not as a bad person, but as a good and smart person who just meets circumstances that force him to act the way he does.
Quite at the end, Michael Forsythe describes the events as "turning into a soap oper
Cheryl
I "read" the first 2 books in the trilogy as audio books. The way the 2nd book left off, I needed to know how the trilogy ends. I read faster than I can listen to audio books (little ears should NOT listen to this series - even in passing). I started the book this morning at the gym, stared at it at work, read a little more at lunch, couldn't pick it up again until after supper. I could not have wished for a more fitting end. There were some things I guessed right, there were somethings I did by ...more
Toni
This was the first McKinty book I came upon—the series highly recommended by someone whose recommendations I take seriously—and I listened to it rather than read it. The author is such a lyrical writer that hearing it was a wonderful introduction to McKinty. Yes, the book was well plotted and the characters were well drawn, but it's McKinty's writing that, literally, sings.
Ed Mckeon
Read it in two bleary-eyed nights. Okay, Forsythe is a poor-man's James Bond, but the plotting is death-defying making me read, a typical plodding reader, as if I spent some time in the advanced class of the speed-reading course.

I'm glad I have a few more McKinty's to read, but I'm still immersed in Irish crime with Gene Kerrigan.
Joan Black
I loved all of Adrian McKinty's books. I am fanatical about reading crime detective books in order. But Adrian McKinty is a brilliant writer. He is like an Irish Ian Banks, gritty and dark. Not for the faint of heart.
Holly
I didn't realize this was a series or I would've been thrilled to read the first two prior to this one. It was a great book. Not a gory book, but more of a mystery. Love that its set in Ireland.
Valerie
The dead series is rivetting. There is violence for sure, but not a dull moment and many surprises. You will enjoy
Marie
Loved it. Very edgy. Lots of almost magical realism in its noir.
Al
This is the third and last book in Michael Forsythe series. There's a reason why the books all have the word "dead" in the title; Michael takes no prisoners. Michael is a "muscle" hood whose abilities and luck are epic; there's no situation he can't overcome and no opposing force of arms and men he can't conquer. Through it all, his wit and erudition are evident. Seriously, the action scenes are very rough, and don't worry much about realistim. But, if you like this kind of stuff, it's pretty g ...more
Sandra
Not sure why - perhaps too similar to the book I've just finished - but this seemed a bit too OTT in terms of amazing recovery from dreadful injury, too many, many times.
But couldn't be beat for pace.
Ami
This is the last book of Dead trilogy and I have to be honest, I feel sad to say goodbye to Michael. He is such a great character, reminds me of other characters I love like Harry Dresden, Harry Bosch, and Patrick Kenzie. This guy has nine lives and more. Overall story is great, Adrian McKinty has a way with words and cracking up dialogs. The progress with Bridget seems, well, a bit sentimental and I can see that coming by a mile since the very first time the plot is introduced. Still, sentiment ...more
Greenockian
This is the first book I have read by this writer. I loved it. It was a change to read spoken NorIrish; the settings are well drawn and add flavour to the action. Getting into the main protagonist's mind in this case was quite unsettling at times: he's a cold-blooded killer you actually want to see succeed! Maybe a bit far-fetched in parts and timescales for the action felt a bit all over the place but a gripping page turner with a few good laughs on the way to a barnstorming ending.
Macee
Third in the Dead trilogy. Not as witty as the first, and not as gory as the second, this installment serves up a plot that moves apace, the welcome return of Bridget Callaghan in the flesh, and two plot twists -- one unforeseen until late in the book, one as plain as the nose on your face -- both satisfying. I was picturing a different ending, based on author interviews I'd read, and the ending is okay .. it just lacked the complexity that has been on display throughout the series.
Electric Funeral
a great final storyline for the dead trilogy. many of the characters and scenes from the first book are important for this one, the irish vibe is of course very strong and it has all the qualities I liked so much about the other two books. a very minor criticism for me is that the second book in the trilogy did not really contribute much to the overall storyline that is concluded in this book. this is something mckinty should work on in his next series of books.
  • Collusion (Jack Lennon Investigations #2)
  • The Devil (Jack Taylor, #8)
  • Gallows Lane (Inspector Devlin, #2)
  • All the Dead Voices (Ed Loy, #4)
  • The Coldest Mile
  • Dark Times in the City
  • The Damned Season
Adrian McKinty is an Irish novelist. He was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland in 1968 and grew up in Victoria Council Estate, Carrickfergus, County Antrim. He read law at the University of Warwick and politics and philosophy at the University of Oxford. He moved to the United States in the early 1990s, living first in Harlem, New York and from 2001 onwards Denver, Colorado where he taught high sch ...more
More about Adrian McKinty...
The Cold Cold Ground Dead I Well May Be (Michael Forsythe #1) I Hear the Sirens in the Street The Dead Yard (Michael Forsythe #2) The Lighthouse Land (Lighthouse Trilogy, #1)