Start by marking “The Misadventures of Justin Hearnfeld” as Want to Read:
The Misadventures of Justin Hearnfeld

The Misadventures of Justin Hearnfeld

Justin Hearnfeld is a young man just out of college who has taken a job as a high school teacher. In this hilarious and heartfelt coming of age novel, Justin takes his lumps one after another on his way to discovering who he is and the true meaning of love.
Published April 15th 2008 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Misadventures of Justin Hearnfeld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Misadventures of Justin Hearnfeld

Erin
Jun 15, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
I liked this.
Nancy
Oct 26, 2015 Nancy rated it did not like it
I read a review of this book as being chick-lit for guys. I assume that's the case here, as I had this book on my wishlist for some time before finally getting around to reading it. I only got about 10 pages in. It didn't strike me as particularly well written nor compelling. As I actually have a degree in creative writing, I feel like I can safely say that this book needed much more editing...too much "telling" and not enough showing or scenes. The author wrote this in the third person POV but ...more
Carol
Mar 28, 2013 Carol rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This book was okay for passing some time, but not much else. It reads like a chick lit book, but the main character is a guy. I thought Elish tried to make too much out of mundane things. For example, the prom prank early in the book goes on and on for pages and pages and is really an annoying juvenile thing. Then there was the "intimidating" professor from the graduate program who all the students were afraid of. He didn't seem too intimidating to me, or maybe the "highly selective" graduate ...more
Liza
Oct 06, 2008 Liza rated it it was ok
This was amusing for the first 150 pages or so, but then got redundant. Maybe it's because I'm not a man, but I can certainly appreciate the male-driven satire of Tom Perrotta or Jonathan Tropper...but this was more chick-lit for boys--very little of the wit or depth of character that Perrotta or Tropper achieves.
Thomas
Aug 01, 2012 Thomas rated it really liked it
Contrary to many reviews on goodreads I enjoyed this book. It was a happy book and it always made me laugh. I felt a connection with Justin Hearnfeld and therefore got very into this book as I read it for hours at a time. I liked the plot and thought that it was very well thought out.
Beth
Apr 03, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
The blue dodge balls on the cover intigued me. Was this going to be a high school angst story or a young guy trying to get laid story? Well, a bit of both and more. I really enjoyed reading about Justin trying to find his way in life.
Lucy
Sep 18, 2008 Lucy rated it liked it
This book wasn't anything special. About the romantic life of a highschool English teacher fresh out of college. Pretty predictable.
Liz
Jul 25, 2008 Liz rated it it was ok
I grabbed it from the "hot reads" shelf at the library. It was a decent "spend the whole day reading" book, but I didn't finish it feeling encouraged or especially glad I'd read it...
Beth
Feb 25, 2009 Beth rated it liked it
This was a perfectly fine book to read when I was sick, but there was nothing special about it. I didn't like the protagonist that much so it was hard to get into.
Brigit
Brigit rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2009
Gillian
Gillian rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2008
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was ok
Apr 05, 2011
Annie Yano
Annie Yano rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2015
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2010
Jj Lee
Jj Lee rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2012
Wally
Wally rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Sebastian Delmont
Sebastian Delmont rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2008
Amy rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2009
Frynsg
Sep 10, 2008 Frynsg rated it really liked it
thought this book might help me see the humorous side of teaching.
Spereira
Spereira rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2012
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2008
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2009
Kezee
Kezee rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Rob Rausch
Rob Rausch rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2009
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2009
Kara
Kara rated it it was ok
Nov 07, 2011
Verena
Verena rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2010