Start by marking “Annie Oakley's Girl” as Want to Read:
Annie Oakley's Girl

Annie Oakley's Girl

"One of the freshest, most memorable story collections of my lifetime. And 'A Good Man,' one of the most important. Rarer than the newness, the wit, the vivid readability, is the deep caring understanding, the wholeness, the truth which this astonishing, haunting writer creates her people. 'A Good Man' will be a revelation, an epiphany to many a reader."—Tillie Olsen

"In An
Published January 1st 2001 by City Lights Publishers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Annie Oakley's Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Annie Oakley's Girl

Mary Emily O'Hara
Mar 24, 2008 Mary Emily O'Hara rated it it was amazing
I'm not the only creepy girl in the world? Oh, Rebecca. I spent my childhood drowning barbie dolls and taking forensic photographs of the crimescene. I joke with my lovers that I want to kiss them until their faces fall off in chunks, then I want to slurp the bloody juice off their skulls. It could have been the Fangoria magazine subscription I sent away for at age ten, or it could be true that some people are just attracted to the bizarre and horrible in life. Rebecca Brown is one of those peop ...more
Red
Aug 18, 2012 Red rated it liked it
Annie Oakley's Girl is a collection of really stellar short stories. I gave it three stars because I didn't totally enjoy reading this book - I found it difficult and emotional - but I think it's really high-caliber writing. SPOILERS a-comin! Some of the stories are wild - time-travel and fun things like that - and one, the second-to-last, and by far the longest story in the book (A Good Man), was an utterly heart-wrenching story about AIDS and its impact on queers. Unusually, it's told from the ...more
Basia
Sep 13, 2016 Basia rated it it was amazing
A beautiful emotional roller coaster with not a bad short story in the mix. My absolute favorite, one I have read many, many times by now: Folie a Deux. Forgive me if I misspelled it.
Liz Latty
Jun 13, 2010 Liz Latty rated it it was amazing
pretty much love everything she does.
John Treat
Aug 16, 2014 John Treat rated it liked it
Short stories can be very well written, but still not interesting to the reader. "A Good Man" is the best, and had I read it 25 years ago I would have been struck, but I suppose that over the past quarter century I have just read that story many, many times already. Not Rebecca Brown's fault.
Angela
Feb 23, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, lgbt
a couple of short stories, and to me most weren't interesting. but the saving grace was the story "a good man", that heartbreaking story of a man dying earned the third star in my rating.
Kat
Dec 15, 2008 Kat rated it did not like it
I read three of the stories in this book and then stopped after the one that begins something like: We decided that it was a good idea to burn out my ear drums and poke out my lover's eyes so that we would be completely dependent on one another. I had f**ked up dreams that night and put this book back on the shelf.
Dawnelle Wilkie
Mar 15, 2008 Dawnelle Wilkie rated it it was amazing
Weird, fun, unsettling, quirky. Some of the pieces in this collection are very different than her (more widely read) Gifts of the Body and it's actually a good thing. While I thought that book was strong on its own, I was truly amazed at the originality and fresh disturbing images. Truly a wonderful book.
Britton
Jul 08, 2008 Britton rated it it was amazing
hidden find in a nicaraguan bookstore; and folie a deux, one of the best short stories i've ever read:

"in the interest of security we agreed to put out your eyes and burn the insides of my ears. this made sure we were always together. each of us had something the other didn't have."

Jenna
Apr 02, 2013 Jenna rated it it was amazing
I have always enjoyed Rebecca Brown's work. Her short stories are dream-like and intense. They reflect a reality that is more familiar to me than that of most other contemporary authors, with the possible exception of Murakami. When I got to the piece "A Good Man," I wept my eyes out.
lauren
Oct 14, 2009 lauren rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of stark, sad fiction
Shelves: fiction
i was enjoying this book but not loving it until i got to "A Good Man", which was gripping and sad and made me love it. Rebecca Brown writes often about sickness and death of the people she loves, and she does it well.
Cassandra Greenwald
Jan 30, 2014 Cassandra Greenwald rated it really liked it
Love how Rebecca Brown pushes the boundaries and still stays true to the important elements of what can make a short story tick (and work). "The Joy of Marriage," "Folie a Deux," and "Grief" are all standouts.
Tiffany
Jan 05, 2013 Tiffany rated it did not like it
I couldn't even get past the second chapter. I'm only keeping it because I bought it at a cute little book store in San Francisco. Maybe someone in this house will read it one day.
Maria
Feb 21, 2008 Maria added it
Rebecca Brown always tears my heart up, but it's so good.
Xio
Mar 24, 2007 Xio rated it liked it
Interesting voice well written
Elizabeth Frankie Rollins
Dec 06, 2009 Elizabeth Frankie Rollins rated it it was amazing
Bad girls should read this.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Odessa
Odessa is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Kelly Anastasi
Kelly Anastasi marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Ariana
Ariana marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Lexi
Lexi added it
Jul 10, 2016
Andrea
Andrea added it
May 23, 2016
Philip Palios
Philip Palios marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Archie
Archie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Mariel
Mariel rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Tricia Yost
Tricia Yost rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Rebecca Brown’s diverse oeuvre contains collections of essays and short stories, a fictionalized autobiography, a modern bestiary, a memoir in the guise of a medical dictionary, a libretto for a dance opera, a play, and various kinds of fantasy.

More about Rebecca Brown...