Start by marking “Ladies' Night At Finbar's Hotel” as Want to Read:
Ladies' Night At Finbar's Hotel

Ladies' Night At Finbar's Hotel

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  454 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A cast of seven Irish women writers have taken over the newly refurbished Finbar's Hotel for one memorable night ...
Paperback
Published by Not Avail (first published August 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Ladies' Night At Finbar's Hotel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ladies' Night At Finbar's Hotel

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenBalzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai SijieThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumPuss in Boots by Vera SouthgateLolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Shoes, Socks, Slippers and Sandals
120th out of 170 books — 61 voters
Someone Like You by Sarah DessenThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerSalvaged by Stefne MillerForever... by Judy BlumeAlong for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Feet!
339th out of 425 books — 303 voters

More lists with this book...

Darcy
I only picked up this book as I needed something to read for a Irish Challenge for the month of March, a friend at the library recommended it to me. I wasn't even sure if I was going to read it, but had some time so thought I could read one of the short stories and go from there. I am glad that I did. This book ended up being super funny and all of the stories very quirky. The main premise of the book is one night at the Finbar Hotel, each story centers around a woman, the room she is staying in ...more
Jennie
Wonderful collection of inter-related short stories by some awesome authors. The only downside is that you do not know which author wrote which short story. I was hoping to discover a new author in the bunch - while that did not happen I still really enjoyed their stories.
Nadine Jones
Surprisingly charming and a quick read; I suppose this might qualify as "chick lit," I'm really not sure, I'm not even sure if I've ever read "chick lit." I started reading this while at the library waiting for my kids, and I finished it that night. That's more a case of it being a quick read and shorter than it looks, and not so much that it's a page-turner, although there is some of that and the characters are frequently engaging. The book bills itself as a novel, but it's really a collection ...more
Anna
This is the follow-up to Finbar’s Hotel. The Hotel has now been renovated by a Dutch rock star and his Irish wife and a new set of seven Irish writers, all women, take up the mantle of creating a character for a room, while interweaving the characters from the other stories. Sadly these stories are just as depressing as the ones in the previous book, although there were a couple which caught my interest for a while and raised my hopes that I might be starting to enjoy the book. I really felt lik ...more
Sharon
Okay beach read. It's an interesting concept that a different author composes each chapter (although you don't know which chapter is written by which author - likely fans of these authors might be able to figure it out). It's really a collection of short stories that occasionally are connected when one story refers to someone else sitting in the lobby for example. Unfortunately, I think most of the stories relate tales of wow-begotten women, instead of powerful women traveling on their own. One ...more
Bill
An interwoven tale by modern Irish women writers. Some very good, others not quite, but taken as a whole, a good read.
Shonna Froebel
Each chapter is written by a different Irish woman author. Devised and edited by Dermot Bolger.
Chapter writers are not matched up with chapters, so don't know who wrote which.
Very entertaining, liked how the book flows and the story doesn't seem disjointed.
JayeL
2013: I remember liking this book a lot better the first time I read it. I did like the way characters from one story showed up in other stories. I also liked the collaborative mature of the work. In terms of a book of short stories, the single location made the stories hang together much better than other collections I have read.

I the stories themselves were not as tightly written as they could have been. I understand that there was an undercurrent of the frailties of human nature, but the stor
Kristin
This was a light hearted, easy-to-read collection of stories by accomplished authors. Each chapter revolved around a character somehow associated with the Finbar Hotel. It was fun to see different characters reappear in different chapters and to see how they were viewed differently by themselves and then by others. All the characters seemed to have a "past" and looked to reinvent themselves or to solve a mystery from their past.

Most chapters were a bit drawn out, perhaps even overly dramatic, a
Katie M.
Sep 20, 2014 Katie M. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie M. by: Joy
Shelves: 2014, shortstory
Well this was delightful.
Heather Meredith
Great Stories but I am really frustrated because I want to know the author of each story. because I prefer the writing style of some over the others and would like to read more if their work.
Kathi Loewen
Since each chapter in this book is written by a different author, I wrongly assumed it was a book of short stories and read the book over a long time period. Actually, each chapter is connected to a previous one in subtle ways as characters reappear and it would have had more meaning if I'd have read it through continuously. I really enjoyed the ways each author wove in the characters' connections - interesting.
Kathi
Not as good as the original, but I liked the later stories. The last one was my favorite.
Lisa
Funny in parts, but definately missing the magic of Maeve Binchy whose contribution is a mystery. I sorta got distracted by the profanity and vulgarity in places, which certainly wasn't Binchy's..she's more tongue-in-cheeky and clever to have to resort to that. Anyway, an interesting collaboration but not lacking the aparkle of Binchy.
Donna LaValley
A collection of short stories all taking place at Finbar’s Hotel on one night. Each story stands alone, but some characters appear in multiple stories. Lots of variety in character and tone, as 7 authors contributed. I could tell which ones were by my favorite, Maeve Binchy. Delightful!
Mary
Conceived and curated by Dermot Bolger, this collection of short stories is centered on a renovated Dublin hotel visited by a number of women, some with connections to its past. Each story is written by a different Irish author, and I found some more successful than others, for me.
Ashley FL
A slim book of short stories, each by a different female Irish author, each taking place on the same night at the same hotel. Well done, with fun references from story to story.

I read this on a recommendation, and now simply can't remember *where* I got that recommendation!
Carrie
The idea of this book (known writers each contributing one chapter) was more intriguing than the actual chapters turned out to be. It once again reminds me that the short story format is not my favorite. I like to get more involved with the characters than a chapter allows.
Carole
Each chapter in this book is written by a different Irish female author. It makes for a somewhat schizophrenic read, with some chapters much more appealing to me than others. In the end, I'm frustrated by not knowing which author wrote which chapter....
Sharon
This was a collection of stories including some of my favorite female (and Irish) writers. It also introduced me to a couple of new ones, Claire Boylan, for example. I thought it was a unique device to have all the characters passing through one hotel.
Karen
I really enjoy reading Maeve Binchy, so thought I'd give this book a try. Each chapter is written by a different author, all Irish writers. It was just a mix-bag for me. Some stories I wanted more details and others, I didn't care for.
Katherine
Good quick read. Each chapter written by a different author. Each chapter is an individual story with some of the chapter main characters making brief appearances in other chapters. Would be a great read while on a long flight.
Debb24601
A perennial re-read for me. I adore Maeve Binchy and read anything with her name on it. I'm going to start reading the authors in this short story compilation also, there was no bad spot in this book.
Patricia Draper
Eight different essays written by well known Irish authors. Set in Dublin at the Finbar Hotel. Excellent short stories all revolving around people with very slight connections at the Finbar hotel.
margaret
Clever how each author picked up a different story, but carried past snipets along! But should be read quickly, or hard to remember the past names and details.
Jessica
Easy bedtime read. Written by multiple female irish authors, it was entertaining. I would not spend money on this book, but it was fun to read while being a houseguest.
Holly Kroeger
The last of the short stories made the book. I am obviously not a huge fan of the short story genre, but there were some memorable moments in this mix
Peter Greene
I've read books by each of these authors and it is interesting to see how well they can work together across their styles.
Jeff Hupe
Light-hearted and fun. The second book of short stories about a Dublin Pub/Inn - written by some of Ireland's best women authors.
Michaelbatte
Short stories by several Irish women authors including my favorite, Maeve Binchy. A fun read.
  • Dublin 4
  • Party Animal
  • Tomorrow to Be Brave: A Memoir of the Only Woman Ever to Serve in the French Foreign Legion
  • Taking Pictures
  • The Lion of Flanders
  • The Tea House on Mulberry Street
  • Yeats Is Dead!: A Mystery by 15 Irish Writers
  • Solace
Dermot Bolger is an Irish novelist, playwright and poet born in Finglas, a suburb of Dublin.

His work is often concerned with the articulation of the experiences of working-class characters who, for various reasons, feel alienated from society. Bolger questions the relevance of traditional nationalist concepts of Irishness, arguing for a more plural and inclusive society.

In the late 1970s Bolger se
More about Dermot Bolger...
Finbar's Hotel The Journey Home The Family on Paradise Pier The Vintage Book of Contemporary Irish Fiction Father's Music