Thicker Than Water (Torie O'Shea, #8)

Thicker Than Water (Torie O'Shea #8)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  23 reviews
When genealogist Torie O'Shea returns home to New Kassell, Missouri, from a vacation in Minnesota, she finds two surprises: first, her mother-in-law is coming to town, and second, her mentor and boss, Sylvia, has finally passed away at the age of 102. Grief-stricken and further distressed by her mother-in-law's unannounced visit, Torie is dumbstruck when she learns that Sy...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Thicker Than Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thicker Than Water

Elysabeth
This is a very quick read. I started Monday afternoon and finished it last night. I never suspected the troublemakers as revealed at the end. I need to get the first seven books and read from the beginning but again, as previously stated, the characters were easy to follow and I wasn't confused as to who was who. The covers are really cute - remind me more of the Amish area drawings; so I'm guessing the area in Missouri is probably a bit on the same level as the area in Pennsylvania.

I think any...more
Patty
Torie is back and dealing with a whole new batch of problems. Since Sylvia died Torie has inherited the Gaheimer House and most of the real estate in her hometown of New Kassel, MO. Torie had no idea that Sylvia planned on leaving her anything more than some personal items, so she is understandably overwhelmed by her new responsibilities.

As she is preparing for the annual Strawberry Festival and spending time going through Sylvia's personal belongings, she is alarmed to hear footsteps in a suppo...more
Grey853
This was a great book, probably my favorite in the series so far. After Sylvia dies, Torie inherits the entire historical society along with lots of money and property. People she thought were her friends turn against her out of petty jealousy. To top that off, her mother-in-law, who is one of the most obnoxious characters on the planet, is coming to stay with them in the middle of all the hubbub. The kicker is that someone is also trying to scare her enough to leave town. She's attacked and sta...more
Beth
A Mystery. Torrie O"Shea, genealogist & head of local historical society is willed various houses and money thereby becoming the brunt of hate by someone in the community who wishes they had gotten it. The tale centers on finding out who it is trhough various trials & tribulations. The resolution also includes Torrie's growth as a person as she realizes what she has been like. I had trouble keeping at this story. Sometimes one reads and can go back after interruptions and the story embra...more
Arlene
Torie is shocked to learn that her employer and friend, 102 year old Sylvia, has left her everything. She is further shocked to find that that includes about half the town. To complicate matters her mother-in-law is coming to stay and her husband didn' tell her. She and Mrs. O'Shea don't get along. Then at the town's Strawberry Festival someone attacks her.
I want to read more of the series that follow the adventures of historian and geneologist, Torie O'Shea.
Sara
Engaging. Can't wait to read more of these.
Kae Cheatham
Small town Missouri: genealogist O'Shea is heir to the main historical society house and all the assets of crotchety Sylvia Pershing, who died at 102. Among her affects, O'Shea finds a postcard that sparks her interest. Some townsfolk, meanwhile, are jealous of her sudden fortune. She must also deal with her mother-in-law, whom she dislikes. Good mystery. Got a bit preachy in some places. Strong characters.
Peg
It is starting to look like this is all I read. It is true, I seem compelled to complete every one of the Torie O'Shea series. A quick, fun part of my day is to find out what she is up to this time. And I suspect I really won't be able to focus on much else now until the series is complete, even though each one is a stand-a-lone story, each book builds on events that occurred previously.
Lisa Tawney
I went out of order on this series and read book number 8 due to lack of reading material! Totally against my grain. However, this was the best in her series thus far. This revolved around the death of Sylvia Pershing and Torie’s inheritance. This book talked about the underground railroad, antique photos, etc. Very interesting. Loved it.
Robyns1
I enjoyed the story--kept me wondering until the end! But, once again, I am left wondering where are the editors/proofreaders? I was so frustrated by the plethora of incomplete sentences. A simple change in punctuation would have fixed the problems and made this book much more enjoyable for editor-types (okay, grammar nazis) like me!
Mary
Immensely enjoyable Torie O'Shea story. Convoluted family histories are at the heart of this tale. Factor in small town politics and Torie's own family dynamics and you have an engrossing novel. The story ended well with all loose ends nicely tied up. Highly recommended.
Kristen
This is one of the better books in the Torie O'Shea series that deals with jealousy and genealogy, money and power, and how close you really know each other in your own neighborhood. What a powerful read for this cozy series.
Karla
This was my first o'Shea book. She spent 1st half of the book angry with everyone. It wasnt a particularly relaxing read. Wasn't sure I would finish the book. I did. But to no particular fanfare.
Debra
Torie has inherited the Gaheimer House after Sylvia's death--but someone seems determined that she won't enjoy it. And, on top of that, her mother-in-law is coming to visit--for a month!
Sydney
This was a good book. Nothing grand or steller but I enjoyed it and found it to be entertaining. I would pick up another book by this author, just for the "don't have to think" factor.
Gretchen Field
Quick, easy reading. I will look for other books from the author.
Sandra
OK for a quick mystery read, but ... not entirely convincing. I'd read more books by this author when looking for a fast read, but I won't seek them out.
Sharon
actually started this book a couple days ago, forgot to list it...it was what I call a cute story with a mystery..
Amber
a great book to read when your life is stressful and you don't want to read something *heavy*
Charla Haberstich
Very easy quick read fun mystery. I will definitely try another book of Rett MacPherson's.
Oleta
Good mystery. I didn't know whodunit. will need to find the rest of this series.
Katherine Fuller
An interesting mystery with a geneologist as the detective.
Tracy B.
Tracy B. marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Lisa Runda
Lisa Runda is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
Jennifer Budzilek
Jennifer Budzilek marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Rett MacPherson was born in Saint Louis, Missouri, as Lauretta Allen. She is divorced with two daughters, and two cats, and is planing a May wedding to Joe Lange, an artist and musician, and her soul mate. She presently works as a customer service representative at a book wholesaler in Saint Louis.
More about Rett MacPherson...
Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1) A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3) A Veiled Antiquity (Torie O'Shea, #2) The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11) A Misty Mourning (Torie O'Shea, #4)