Start by marking “Thicker Than Water (Torie O'Shea, #8)” as Want to Read:
Thicker Than Water (Torie O'Shea, #8)

Thicker Than Water (Torie O'Shea #8)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  296 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
When genealogist Torie O'Shea returns home to New Kassell, Missouri, from a vacation in Minnesota, she finds two surprises: first, her mother-in-law is coming to town, and second, her mentor and boss, Sylvia, has finally passed away at the age of 102. Grief-stricken and further distressed by her mother-in-law's unannounced visit, Torie is dumbstruck when she learns that Sy ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Thicker Than Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thicker Than Water

Elysabeth
Feb 11, 2009 Elysabeth rated it really liked it
This is a very quick read. I started Monday afternoon and finished it last night. I never suspected the troublemakers as revealed at the end. I need to get the first seven books and read from the beginning but again, as previously stated, the characters were easy to follow and I wasn't confused as to who was who. The covers are really cute - remind me more of the Amish area drawings; so I'm guessing the area in Missouri is probably a bit on the same level as the area in Pennsylvania.

I think any
Patty
Oct 29, 2011 Patty rated it it was amazing
Torie is back and dealing with a whole new batch of problems. Since Sylvia died Torie has inherited the Gaheimer House and most of the real estate in her hometown of New Kassel, MO. Torie had no idea that Sylvia planned on leaving her anything more than some personal items, so she is understandably overwhelmed by her new responsibilities.

As she is preparing for the annual Strawberry Festival and spending time going through Sylvia's personal belongings, she is alarmed to hear footsteps in a suppo
Grey853
Aug 12, 2007 Grey853 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
This was a great book, probably my favorite in the series so far. After Sylvia dies, Torie inherits the entire historical society along with lots of money and property. People she thought were her friends turn against her out of petty jealousy. To top that off, her mother-in-law, who is one of the most obnoxious characters on the planet, is coming to stay with them in the middle of all the hubbub. The kicker is that someone is also trying to scare her enough to leave town. She's attacked and sta ...more
Kristin
May 01, 2016 Kristin rated it liked it
I always enjoy immersing myself in New Kassel. This mystery was the most predictable one of the series but still a fun read.
Beth
Oct 31, 2009 Beth rated it it was ok
A Mystery. Torrie O"Shea, genealogist & head of local historical society is willed various houses and money thereby becoming the brunt of hate by someone in the community who wishes they had gotten it. The tale centers on finding out who it is trhough various trials & tribulations. The resolution also includes Torrie's growth as a person as she realizes what she has been like. I had trouble keeping at this story. Sometimes one reads and can go back after interruptions and the story embra ...more
Arlene
Torie is shocked to learn that her employer and friend, 102 year old Sylvia, has left her everything. She is further shocked to find that that includes about half the town. To complicate matters her mother-in-law is coming to stay and her husband didn' tell her. She and Mrs. O'Shea don't get along. Then at the town's Strawberry Festival someone attacks her.
I want to read more of the series that follow the adventures of historian and geneologist, Torie O'Shea.
Sara
May 05, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging. Can't wait to read more of these.
Kae Cheatham
Jan 12, 2011 Kae Cheatham rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Small town Missouri: genealogist O'Shea is heir to the main historical society house and all the assets of crotchety Sylvia Pershing, who died at 102. Among her affects, O'Shea finds a postcard that sparks her interest. Some townsfolk, meanwhile, are jealous of her sudden fortune. She must also deal with her mother-in-law, whom she dislikes. Good mystery. Got a bit preachy in some places. Strong characters.
Peg
Feb 17, 2012 Peg rated it liked it
It is starting to look like this is all I read. It is true, I seem compelled to complete every one of the Torie O'Shea series. A quick, fun part of my day is to find out what she is up to this time. And I suspect I really won't be able to focus on much else now until the series is complete, even though each one is a stand-a-lone story, each book builds on events that occurred previously.
Lisa Tawney
Sep 18, 2013 Lisa Tawney rated it it was amazing
I went out of order on this series and read book number 8 due to lack of reading material! Totally against my grain. However, this was the best in her series thus far. This revolved around the death of Sylvia Pershing and Torie’s inheritance. This book talked about the underground railroad, antique photos, etc. Very interesting. Loved it.
Robyns1
Nov 26, 2013 Robyns1 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story--kept me wondering until the end! But, once again, I am left wondering where are the editors/proofreaders? I was so frustrated by the plethora of incomplete sentences. A simple change in punctuation would have fixed the problems and made this book much more enjoyable for editor-types (okay, grammar nazis) like me!
Mary
Aug 27, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Immensely enjoyable Torie O'Shea story. Convoluted family histories are at the heart of this tale. Factor in small town politics and Torie's own family dynamics and you have an engrossing novel. The story ended well with all loose ends nicely tied up. Highly recommended.
Kristen
May 25, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
This is one of the better books in the Torie O'Shea series that deals with jealousy and genealogy, money and power, and how close you really know each other in your own neighborhood. What a powerful read for this cozy series.
Karla
Sep 30, 2013 Karla rated it it was ok
This was my first o'Shea book. She spent 1st half of the book angry with everyone. It wasnt a particularly relaxing read. Wasn't sure I would finish the book. I did. But to no particular fanfare.
Debra
May 13, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, genealogy
Torie has inherited the Gaheimer House after Sylvia's death--but someone seems determined that she won't enjoy it. And, on top of that, her mother-in-law is coming to visit--for a month!
Sydney
Nov 17, 2008 Sydney rated it liked it
This was a good book. Nothing grand or steller but I enjoyed it and found it to be entertaining. I would pick up another book by this author, just for the "don't have to think" factor.
Gretchen Field
Dec 26, 2013 Gretchen Field rated it really liked it
Quick, easy reading. I will look for other books from the author.
Sandra
Feb 18, 2012 Sandra rated it liked it
OK for a quick mystery read, but ... not entirely convincing. I'd read more books by this author when looking for a fast read, but I won't seek them out.
Sharon
Sep 03, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it
actually started this book a couple days ago, forgot to list it...it was what I call a cute story with a mystery..
Amber
Jan 04, 2011 Amber rated it really liked it
a great book to read when your life is stressful and you don't want to read something *heavy*
Charla Haberstich
Jun 26, 2011 Charla Haberstich rated it really liked it
Very easy quick read fun mystery. I will definitely try another book of Rett MacPherson's.
Oleta
Apr 04, 2008 Oleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery. I didn't know whodunit. will need to find the rest of this series.
Katherine Fuller
Feb 20, 2010 Katherine Fuller rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
An interesting mystery with a geneologist as the detective.
Ellen
Torie #8
Racie
Racie rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Julie Falcomata
Julie Falcomata rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Skittles
Skittles marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
  • Backstab (Francesca Vierling Mystery, #1)
  • Bad Medicine
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • Trouble Vision (Raven's Nest, #3)
  • Quilt as Desired (Harriet Truman / Loose Threads Mystery #1)
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree, #1)
  • Indigo Dying (China Bayles, #11)
  • Hickory Smoked Homicide (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #3)
  • The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1)
  • Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Plagued By Quilt (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Mrs. Malory and the Fatal Legacy
  • Mind Your Own Beeswax (Queen Bee, #2)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
Rett MacPherson was born in Saint Louis, Missouri. She is the author of the popular Torie O'Shea mysteries and helped to pioneer the sub-genre of genealogical mysteries. She is also a bead and fabric artist and loves wineries, cemeteries, genealogy, history and of course, books.
More about Rett MacPherson...

Torie O'Shea (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • A Veiled Antiquity (Torie O'Shea, #2)
  • A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3)
  • A Misty Mourning (Torie O'Shea, #4)
  • Killing Cousins (Torie O'Shea, #5)
  • Blood Relations (Torie O'Shea, #6)
  • In Sheep's Clothing (Torie O'Shea, #7)
  • Dead Man Running (Torie O'Shea, #9)
  • Died in the Wool (Torie O'Shea, #10)
  • The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11)