Start by marking “Mark Twain Tonight!” as Want to Read:
Mark Twain Tonight!

Mark Twain Tonight!

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  4 reviews
What began as a college honors project became one of the most successful one-man shows in history. Hal Holbrook's uncanny interpretation of the brilliant, cantankerous Mark Twain, developed from meticulous research into the writer's speech & mannerisms, has wowed audiences & critics since 1959. This recording presents the best selections from the show. Drawn from a ...more
Published 1967 by Pyramid Books (NY) (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Mark Twain Tonight!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mark Twain Tonight!

Daniel Currie
As expected, this is a witty and very enjoyable collection. Probably a bit less successful during the parts he is reading from his books. but still well worth a listen.
Erik Graff
Apr 22, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Americans
Recommended to Erik by: Einar Graff
Shelves: literature
Having heard selections on WFMT's "Midnight Special" program, Dad picked up the two-record edition of Mark Twain Tonight back when I was still in the public schools, playing it often for himself to begin with, then with guests as an excuse. Now they sit on my bookshelf.

The contents of the recording and of this book consist of excerpts from Twain's speaking tours later in life. The material is well chosen, the humor holding up well. If you can, pick up the recording, now available on CD.
Etta Mcquade
I bought this in paperback when John and I were in Hannibal, Missouri, in 1973 at the Becky Thatcher Book Shop. I've loved the book because Hal Holbrook, actor, has taken some of the best of Mark Twain's writing to perform for television. It's also amazing that Hal Holbrook looks a good deal like Mark Twain and sounds the way I think Mark Twain would sound. I understand he is still performing. Exerpts from Hal Holbrook an be found on you-tube.
James
I think what I'm listening to is actually the best of Hal Holbrook Mark Twain Tonight.
Koen Kop
Koen Kop marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
JP
JP added it
Aug 05, 2014
Larry
Larry is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Ruth Gardner
Ruth Gardner marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Enoch
Enoch added it
Jul 20, 2013
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2012
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn The Adventures of Tom Sawyer The Prince and the Pauper A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Adventures of Huckleberry Finn