Start by marking “The Well at the World's End- Vol II” as Want to Read:
The Well at the World's End- Vol II

The Well at the World's End- Vol II

Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. Pomona Press are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Published January 1st 2006 by Pomona Press (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about The Well at the World's End- Vol II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Well at the World's End- Vol II

Derek
I kept looking for deeper pattern, deeper symbolism, and deeper meaning, and am left with a confused message. The whole of Volume One was travel through troubled lands, with each city/town/nation beset by some injustice. Ralph avoids entanglement, floating above worldly matters.

Here, the final stages of the journey to the WELL is like a purification quest, through hardship and strange adventure.

But what of afterward? Becoming a Friend of the Well conveys benefits tangible and intangible, and one
Benjamin
Oct 14, 2016 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-sf
Better than the first volume ... The ending would have been even more satisfying if instead of the interruption, it had just slowly built up in one volume. The roles of women are interesting here and there is some kind of servant-leadership thing happening.
Grant
Mar 08, 2013 Grant rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If this thing were assigned in some college lit class, it would have slid uncracked to the bottom of my backpack, lost before I hit the lunch-rush at the cafeteria. Of course, I’d look up a few things. Make a few notes on theme and imagery, regurgitate critical reception. Something to sound smart enough to slough through an essay on the exam.

But this wasn’t for school, wasn’t for something as silly as credit. No, this was for something sacred: This was for Book Club. And the first rule of Book C
Sylvester
I should have added this when I reviewed the first volume. The story continues and it is just as good as the first volume - I find it annoying that these aren't simply combined into one. Anyway, Morris is unique as a fantasy writer (not only because he was one of the first, if not The First), his grasp of archaic language is wonderful and really helps to immerse the reader in a medieval atmosphere. It's almost in the story-telling style of those of King Arthur's knights or Howard Pyle's Robin Ho ...more
Sverre
Morris's use of Middle English makes this a laborious read but, having read Volume I, I could not abandon young Ralph as he quests to quench his thirst for a soulful life from the Well At The World's End (the Fountain of Youth more like). Some unnecessary lengthy speechifying could have been left out. Although I would call the author's style staid and dry, Ralph's romantic attachment sweetens the plot considerably. P.S. Please also refer to my review of Volume I.
Joseph
Nov 02, 2013 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so from Utterbol across deserts and wastelands we follow Ralph and Ursula to the WELL at the WORLD'S END on the lonely shore of a sullen ocean; and then back again to Upmeads. A long and occasionally arduous journey, but one well worth taking.
Laurel Kane
read in early 90s
Catfantastic
This worthy tome shall thy speech render incomprehensible even unto several months hence.
Laurel Kane
read in early 90s
Scott Forbes
Jun 14, 2010 Scott Forbes rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, owned
Loved it just as much as the first volume!

More thoughts
Kevin Meehan
Kevin Meehan rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015
Virginia
Virginia rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2011
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2011
Johnny
Johnny rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
eris23
eris23 rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Eb0
Eb0 rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2011
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Brenton
Brenton rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Joseph Schneider
Joseph Schneider rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
David Weiss
David Weiss rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Sue Law
Sue Law rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2016
Julian Cribb
Julian Cribb rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Andrew Law
Andrew Law rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Eric Kysela
Eric Kysela rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2014
Louise
Louise rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Leofric
Leofric rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2012
Sylmacg
Sylmacg rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Stormy Lightningberry
Stormy Lightningberry rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2016
Jon Nelson
Jon Nelson rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley
  • The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis
  • Figures of Earth
  • Island of the Mighty
  • Kai Lung's Golden Hours (Kai Lung #2)
  • The Mezentian Gate
  • The World's Desire
  • The Ship of Ishtar
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • Zothique
  • The Blue Star
  • Earl Aubec and Other Stories (Eternal Champion, #14)
  • Half Past Human (The Hive, #1)
  • Land of Unreason
  • Orlando Furioso: Part One
  • Lilith
  • Red Moon and Black Mountain
William Morris was an English architect, furniture and textile designer, artist, writer, socialist and Marxist associated with the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood and the English Arts and Crafts Movement. Morris wrote and published poetry, fiction, and translations of ancient and medieval texts throughout his life. His best-known works include The Defence of Guenevere and Other Poems (1858), The Earthl ...more
More about William Morris...