Start by marking “The Switch” as Want to Read:
The Switch

The Switch

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  7,393 ratings  ·  374 reviews
When a joke turns into tragedy, leaving Gillian Lloyd dead, Melina vows to stop at nothing to learn the truth and avenge her twin's death. But Gillian's murder has a far-reaching impact that no one suspected or could even fathom.
Paperback, UK Edition, 576 pages
Published September 6th 2001 by Piatkus Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Switch, please sign up.

Agnes Recio Basically Gillian and Melina switched for the night, then in the morning Gillian was found dead, but since Melina and Gillian switched, Melina was…moreBasically Gillian and Melina switched for the night, then in the morning Gillian was found dead, but since Melina and Gillian switched, Melina was supposed to be one whose dead. So Melina is gonna continue being Gillian to find out who wanted to kill her.(less)
Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareAfter the Night by Linda HowardExtreme Exposure by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
174th out of 1,413 books — 1,845 voters
Envy by Sandra BrownRainwater by Sandra BrownLethal by Sandra BrownChill Factor by Sandra BrownThe Alibi by Sandra Brown
Favorite Sandra Brown Novels
16th out of 29 books — 171 voters

More lists with this book...

Mo
I wasn't sure if this was going to work for me. For about 90% of the book there was this one aspect of the book that was just getting to me and I knew I wouldn't be able to get past it.

But I persevered and I must say this lady can spin a yarn. For the last 10% I was totally engrossed in the story.

As with most books by Sandra Brown, you are better off not knowing too much about them, except maybe the premise.

It isn't the first time that identical twins Gillian and Melina Lloyd have switched iden
Jill
I'm going to be really honest here: my reading time is pretty much limited to how long I can be in the bathroom by myself. Since that is (usually) an extremely small portion of my day, I try to be very selective in my reading choices. I'd rather spend my precious reading time on something I really enjoy.

"The Switch" was not bathroom worthy.

My summary can best be summed up by this discussion:
Husband: "What's that book about?"
Me: "It's about an astronaut who has a one night stand with a twin and t
Oana
One of the few SB which didn't work for me. There is no objective reason for not liking it, true, the plotting was smart, the dialogue as great as it can be, the mystery was tick and with a multi-layered approach, still, I couldn't cope with the characters. Or the (stupid) premise. (view spoiler) But that's gotta be only me. Might work wonderfully for some ...more
Andreia Silva
WOW! É uma palavra (sigla? expressão?) que define na perfeição este livro. Nunca tinha lido nada da autora mas comecei extremamente bem! É daquele livros de dar a volta ao cérebro. Desde a primeira página até à última o enredo tem o dom de prender o leitor. A acção é constante, é activa e tem dinâmica. As personagens estão muito bem construídas e dão um certo mistério a toda a história, que só é descoberto no final. E até ao final não sabemos ainda como aquilo vai terminar. Em todos os capítulos ...more
Filipa
Já acabei então o Vidas Trocadas e posso afirmar que foi outra leitura fantástica. Estou completamente rendida às intrigas e mistérios que a autora cria.
E à sua escrita também.
Tem um estilo que me agrada muito.

Sobre o livro, tenho alguma coisas a dizer. A primeira é que eu descobri a revelação, aquele pormenor que é revelado a umas escassas páginas do fim.
Sempre estive muito reticente em acreditar nas palavras dela e eu cá tinha as minhas suspeitas.
Quando o Chefe está na cela e está a pensar
Joanne
I am so addicted to Sandra Brown's Romance Thrillers!!!!!! What an author she is, keeps ya guessing till the end and this book had a very big surprise ending!!

Sisters, twins, identical in every way, Melina push's her twin Gillian to take her place in entertaining a celeb, for this is her business. The celeb is an astronaut Col. "Chief" Hart, but she turns her down, but changes her mind the last minute. The following day, Melina receives terrible news that her twin has been murdered brutally and
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
3 1/2 stars.

Gillian and Melina are identical twins.

They switched identities regularly as children, but now approaching 40, they decide to do it one more time - with tragic results.

But Melina feels deep inside her that there is more to Gillian's murder than the sheriff, who has quickly wrapped up the case, realises - and she continues to investigate.

This is a good story line with two twists at the end (one I saw coming and one I didn't).

I became quickly absorbed in the plot and would have given i
Bmquiram
I received “The Switch” by Sandra Brown as a Good Reads First Read. Thank You!

I really enjoyed this book. One of my friends told me she is not a fan of Sandra Brown because she doesn’t enjoy the level of details Sandra uses when writing. My friend prefers it when an author just gets to the point and lets the reader use his or her own creativity to fill in the details and create an image themselves.

I would have to say I disagree. Many of the details Sandra Brown uses when writing are relevant to
Rutee
Esta é a minha estreia com a autora e foi uma bela estreia! Este é um policial menos sangrento que alguns mas não deixa de cativar o leitor fazendo-o perder umas belas horas de sono!
Sandra Brown tem aquele toque de ligar o romance ao policial que ela bem sabe e por isso torna o enredo deveras apelativo.

Nesta obra temos duas irmãs gémeas: Melina e Gillian e estas são quase indistinguíveis. Depois de uma ser brutalmente assassinada, a outra irmã sente-se bastante culpada pois houve uma troca de id
Kendall
I love Sandra but this story was stupid.
Julie
Sandra Brown was very close to a 5 star rating this time! Man, she really kept me guessing on this one. Usually I get a hint of what the end result might be on a novel but not with Sandra Brown. Dang it!! I really thought that I knew who the bad guy was. Hell, I really thought that I knew what was going on. I was totally wrong.

As usual, Brown really delivers on the character development within the story, she delivers on the premise (how in the world does she come up with this stuff?!?), she deli
Hava
Aug 04, 2010 Hava rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sandra Brown fans
Recommended to Hava by: Clydene Ruby
Shelves: adult-fiction
I quite enjoyed this book, but with some caveats. First off, the pacing was awesome - it was PAINFUL to go to bed with the book unfinished. I sat in the bathroom on the floor for almost an hour, reading, convincing myself that it wouldn't hurt to read for "just" five more minutes. I finally made myself go to bed.

However, when I got to the end of the book and realized what Sandra Brown had done, I started to think back on the book, and I wasn't so in love with it. I don't want to give anything aw
Samantha
All I can say is Wow. I've always loved Ms. Brown's expert writing but this one exceeded all expectations. I was devastated when Melina died in her twin's place. I don't know exactly how to write what I want to say without sounding like I lost my mind. Melina had switched place with her twin Gillian the night before. The attack was meant for Gillian but Melina died instead and no one knew. The only difference between them was that Melina had undergone a hysterectomy, which wasn't discovered unti ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Identical twins, Melina and Gillian, have been known to switch places when they were children but one night they switch and one of them ends up dead. The surviving twin seeks justice for her twin and teams up with astronaut "Chief" Hart to find the truth.

I never really know what to expect from Ms. Brown. I love her work for the most part but I have read one or two that didn't grab me. But I really enjoyed this book. Lots of twists, great characters and suspense. It was heavier on the suspense si
Neide Parafitas
Melina e Gillian Loyd são irmãs gémeas, daquele tipo que contam tudo uma à outra e aguardam a opinião da outra para dar o veredicto final! Elas não poderiam, no entanto, ser mais diferentes: enquanto que Melina é corajosa e impulsiva, Gillian é mais discreta, tímida e ponderada!!

A história tem início quando Gillian recorre à Clínica Waters para se submeter a uma inseminação artificial e usa, para o efeito, esperma de um dador anónimo, visto que o seu companheiro é estéril. Para comemorar Gillian
Gail Barrett
I really like Sandra Brown, so I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with this book. Not that it isn't good. It is. But it isn't as fabulous as some of her other works, especially Envy, which is my all-time favorite story of hers.

There are several weak points in this story, in my opinion. I still don't understand why the heroine didn't sleep in her own house the night her sister was murdered. That makes no sense to me and seems contrived. There were also several times during the story w
Catarina
A escrita desta autora é simplesmente brilhante.
Já é o segundo livro que leio dela, e em ambos existem reviravoltas e acontecimentos inesperados fabulosos.
Este livro gira a volta de uma pequena brincadeira que duas irmãs gémeas, Melina e Gillian, fizeram ao trocarem de identidade por uma noite.
Após este acontecimento, uma das irmãs é brutalmente assassinada, e a outra gémea juntamente com um mestiço de Indio chamado de Chefe vão tentar descobrir o porque e quem é o responsável.
Este livro consegu
Tony Daniel
A woman pretends she's her murdered twin in order to solve the mystery of her death. We're firmly in Danielle Steele land with an intrepid astronaut as the love interest and our plucky heroine (or was she the murdered sister? Or is the sister really dead?)incredibly beautiful, smart and rich due to her fantastically successful business escorting celebrities to speaking engagements! This is a good switching identity idea and it really might've made an excellent novella, maybe even a classic confe ...more
Zézinha Rosado
Foi a minha estreia com esta autora mas posso dizer que fiquei agradavelmente surpreendida. A escrita é fluída, o enredo à volta da troca de identidade de duas gémeas está muito bem construído e a autora conseguiu "enganar-me" até ao final...
Não posso dizer que tenha sido dos melhores livros que li até hoje, mas é certamente uma obra interessante e muito enigmática, capaz de prender a atenção e despertar a curiosidade de quem goste de um bom enredo e mistério.
Há passagens que, na minha modesta o
Janeka
Eu devo estar mesmo "destreinada" de ler policiais, porque fui totalmente surpreendida pelo twist final.. Excelente livro, o melhor que li de Sandra Brown!
Recomenda-se ;)
Vanessa Montês
(...)

Embora este livro tenha os mesmos ingredientes que todos os livros da autora, nota-se uma importância muito diminuta relativamente à parte romântica neste livro, sendo que esta, pelo menos para mim, foi deveras estranha. O Chefe, um homem determinado e que acaba por criar uma paixão mal conhece Gillian, fica em choque com a descoberta da morte desta, mas fica ainda mais em choque ao descobrir que Gillian tinha uma gémea igualzinha a esta. Melina é a gémea que supostamente seguimos durante t
Wendy
Keeping me guessing and hooked from the first page to the last Sandra Brown has done it again.
Identical twins, Gillian and Melina, used to trick people by swapping identities when they were young and do so again as adults. This time the swap ends in love, murder and intrigue as one twin begins her own inquiry into the death of her sister.
Ms. Brown provides us with clues along the way and quite a few surprises as well.
A page turner that I couldn't put down!
Jonetta
Intricate story about the murder of a woman with an identical twin. Her murder is somehow entwined with the decision she and her sister made the night before to switch identities for the evening. There are twists and surprises throughout (unfortunately, I figured out the big one early on). Interesting book that will keep you turning the pages. I listened to the story and it made a long trip very short. Highly recommend if you like mystery, suspense and romance.
Kristen
In Sandra Brown's the Switch, she gave us a spine-tingling romantic suspense that throws no punches. When Gillian Lloyd learned about her twin sister's death, she vowed to stop at nothing and learn the truth about Melinda's death, which was one a joke that turned into tragedy, she talked to her sister's boyfriend and the police who covered it up, which came with a far-reaching impact that no one suspect or could fathom.
duniamimpigie Anggi
Seperti yang selalu saya sebutkan di GR ini selama awal-awal membaca, novel ini punya senjata ampuh: fast-paced. Selama ini saya memang bukan penggemar novel misteri dan thriller dan "pengalaman" saya dalam genre ini terbatas hanya pada novel-novel Agatha Christie pinjeman temen, itu pun jumlahnya gak seberapa.
Dari seluruh novel thriller yang pernah saya baca, inilah yang paling fast-paced semenjak awal cerita. Yang lain kebanyakan fast-paced begitu masuk klimaks. Mungkin karakteristik yang kuat
Susan
I did actually like this one, though it was suspenseful and pretty downright CREEPY in places. I wouldn't actually mind reading it again now that my threshold for suspense has increased. Since I've been beta reading for a friend who writes romantic suspense, I've become much less wuss-like and I actually enjoy trying to figure out whodunnit. So maybe I should give it a re-read and I'd probably enjoy it a lot more.

What I remember:
Twins trade places for a night when the twin who works as a celebr
Robin Taylor
It's been over ten years or even longer, that I read The Switch. This is one of my favorite books by Sandra Brown. Just seeing the titles of The Switch and The Alibi makes me want to purchase them again - for my Kindle. If ever there seems to be more time in my life, count on it.
Diana Varga
At first i loved the story, the switch thing but i was a little disappointed with the story of father Gabriel, which i found to be a little odd! anyway it's a nice book to read during summer.
D.G.
Dec 09, 2014 D.G. marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to D.G. by: Julie
DNF

What a boring beginning! I almost fell sleep on the elliptical listening to the first hour of this audiobook. I can take rambling in the middle of books but not at the beginning.
Robin
As a lark, identical twins Gillian and Melina Lloyd decide to switch identities. Gillian will pose as Melina and escort NASA astronaut Christopher "Chief" Lloyd to his media events. This turns out to be an easy assignment for Gillian.

But the next morning Melina is awakened by police with the news that Gillian was found murdered. On the walls are insults and message directed at Gillian, along with insults that link Chief to the crime. Soon Melina and Chief join forces to solve her twin's murder.
  • Paradise County
  • Killing Time
  • Hidden
  • The Edge (FBI Thriller, #4)
  • Wishes
  • As Good As Dead (Griffin Powell, #4)
  • Lucky's Lady (Doucet #2)
  • Fortune
  • Birthright
  • The Defiant Hero (Troubleshooters, #2)
  • Haunting Rachel

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010), SMASH CUT (2009), & SMOKE SCREEN (2008).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since t
More about Sandra Brown...
Lethal The Alibi Mean Streak Ricochet Chill Factor

“He won't hurt me. I have a secret weapon.” 9 likes
“What about him?” “You knew him.” “Yes.” She could tell that Chief, like her, was somewhat taken aback by his candor. They hadn’t expected him to be this forthcoming. In fact, Chief had expressed a desire to beat the truth out of Jem Hennings if he gave them evasive answers to their questions. Jem’s straightforwardness made her increasingly wary. He wouldn’t admit to knowing his fiancée’s murderer unless he felt confident that he was under someone’s protection and that this truth would never come to the attention of the authorities.” 1 likes