Start by marking “Writing as a Sacred Path: A Practical Guide to Writing with Passion and Purpose” as Want to Read:
Writing as a Sacred Path: A Practical Guide to Writing with Passion and Purpose

Writing as a Sacred Path: A Practical Guide to Writing with Passion and Purpose

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A supportive guide to approaching writing as a sacred art and to discovering spirituality through the process of writing.

In this inspiring guide, writing teacher and anthropologist Jepson draws on her worldwide travels and studies of spiritual traditions to present a refreshing approach to the art of writing. Through rituals, exercises, dream analysis, and more, writers wi
Published December 1st 2008 by Celestial Arts

To ask other readers questions about Writing as a Sacred Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing as a Sacred Path

Susan Koefod
Sep 11, 2012 Susan Koefod rated it really liked it
To be honest, I shied away from Jill Jepson’s Writing as a Sacred Path for a long time because I was put off by the title and the concept it suggests. This is not a criticism of Jill, but an indication of my own tastes. I’m as far away from approaching anything mystically/spiritually as it comes.

But something caught my eye in Jill’s introduction to what turns out to be an entirely useful and practical guide to motivating the writer. To paraphrase her: the writer’s impulse, which all writers sha
Stephen Hiemstra
Jan 05, 2015 Stephen Hiemstra rated it really liked it
The journey home requires travel in foreign lands. The prodigal son could not love his father until he had left him; his older brother never did (Luke 15). Much like contrast reveals the outlines of what we see, sometimes it is helpful to explore foreign lands in finding our way home.

In her book, Writing as a Sacred Path, Jill Jepson teaches writing through exercises in alternative, especially eastern, spiritual traditions. She writes:

One of the writer’s highest goals is to express the inner w
Barbara Lieberman
May 21, 2015 Barbara Lieberman rated it it was amazing
This is not a book to read cover to cover. Rather it is a manual, a 'how to' in one sense. The exercises in the book guide a writer through writer's block and into the flow. If you've ever experienced 'flow', you'll know it can be a mystical experience and that many of us feel we do our best writing there. This guide helps you envision yourself as mystic, shaman, warrior and more, all in the pursuit of the best writing you can produce.

I recommend you read one chapter and then sit with it for a t
Lora
I like a book that recognizes that writing has its spiritual side. This book is a little unfocused for me, but that may well reflect my European background meeting the book's Eastern culture. I did find several great tools to use in here. I always enjoy a book that challenges me on real levels, not by swearing at me. It took me about halfway through to adjust to the language and perceptions, but I got the hang of it and enjoy practicing some of the principles in writing and/or daily life. I wasn ...more
Camellia
Jan 16, 2016 Camellia rated it it was amazing
I have read this and I am now re-reading it. It's just as wonderful now as it was then.
Katriena Knights
Jul 20, 2011 Katriena Knights rated it liked it
Would have liked to have given this one a 3.5. Very interesting take on the writing life. The second half (shaman and warrior) appealed to me more than the first half (mystic and monk), which frankly surprised me a little, especially the mystic part--figured I'd be more into that. In any case, some interesting exercises that focus on things you might not ordinarily think of as related to writing, but that make you think.
David
Jul 09, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
Oh, this was a great find---this book turns out to be both inspiring AND useful. It made me think a lot about the creative journey we're on, as writers---it's a big one, a deep one. What we do is sacred. This author does a great job of helping you explore that, and there are a ton of exercises to keep you writing and growing. If you liked The Artist's Way, you're going to like this, too.
Judith D.
Writing isn't just a way of releasing information. On the other side, it is a way of helping someone to learn, not always in the traditional way but it can be just as inspiring to the author as the reader.
Andrea Janson Weiss
Oct 28, 2013 Andrea Janson Weiss rated it it was amazing
An inspiring book full of helpful prompts and exercises for writing as a spiritual practice. I come back to this book often for encouragement and inspiration.
Lisa J
May 27, 2014 Lisa J rated it liked it
Lots of interesting writing prompts, but good for journaling, not for writing about characters.
Kate
Sep 27, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
This is going to be a good one to have on the shelf.
Braden Lyster
Braden Lyster rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Chris Bridges
Chris Bridges marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Ina Cawl
Ina Cawl marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Jasmine Jaurigue
Jasmine Jaurigue is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2016
Rukiya
Rukiya is currently reading it
Cole
Cole marked it as to-read
Lauren Davis
Lauren Davis is currently reading it
Emily Selby
Emily Selby rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Eva North
Eva North marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Alaya
Alaya marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Sarah is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2016
Micah
Micah rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Miranda Honfleur
Miranda Honfleur rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Lucie Turns Pages
Lucie Turns Pages marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Allycia
Allycia marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016