A Map to the Next World: Poems and Tales

A Map to the Next World: Poems and Tales

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In her fifth book, Joy Harjo, one of our foremost Native American voices, melds memories, dream visions, myths, and stories from America’s brutal history into a poetic whole.
Published March 17th 2001 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Map to the Next World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Map to the Next World

Jessica
Full of sincerity and reverence for the world, this book is a good reminder to be grateful. It is also necessary for someone to be constantly reiterating the politics and history recounted in the book. That said, there is virutally no artisitic or literary merit to the writing in this book. My guess is that the author's response to such a comment would be that I am mired in the language of "the enemy." I'm willing to consider that possibility.
Kivrin Engle
Adrienne Rich wrote of this book, "I turn and return to Harjo's poetry for her breathtaking, complex witness and for her world-remaking language: precise, unsentimental, miraculous." And, I whole-heartedly agree.

Joy Harjo is a visionary, a fierce story-telling warrior woman. Her writing is holy, insightful, contemplative, honest and graceful. I will turn and return to Ms. Harjo's poetic prose also.
Abby
Jan 05, 2013 Abby added it
This is one of those books full of almost-great lines, which distract me as I rewrite them in my head. That doesn't necessarily make a bad book or a lazy writer, but it sure doesn't increase my enjoyment.

Among the almost-greats is some truly beautiful poetry, "spirits who allowed themselves to be kept in a song or story as food/ through the longest seasons of brutality." Much of it doesn't need the explanation of the "tales" that follow, which are a little self-indulgent. Perhaps I'll try anoth...more
Tracy E. Hieatt
I've read two other Harjo books and really enjoyed them, so I was a bit disappointed with this one. Everything in this book follows a similar set of themes. There are some very nice moments, but no where near on par with some of the sharp truths and insights in some of her other works. The kind of insights I had to read over and over again because of how wonderful they are. I found myself re-reading very few things in this one. The writing itself is fine, it just isn't as emotionally moving as o...more
Naomi
Joy Harjo is among the two dozen poets I turn to when I yearn for poetry that illuminates the spirit, for such poetry much be fiercely and fully grounded in the beauty and the pain of this life. This volume, where stories interleave the poems, delivers, inviting reflection and memorization of lines to hold onto in future storms.
Louise Chambers
Nov 23, 2008 Louise Chambers rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poets and readers of poetry
Recommended to Louise by: I've been reading Harjo for years
Shelves: poetry, politics
Harjo always asks me to do more than read; she asks me to participate. A Native American woman who has lived in many worlds writes hauntingly of personal history and of History, the History which may not be as pleasant as we might like it to be. What saves the poems is the language, fine and dancing, and always connected to the heart.
Kelly
No matter how many times I read this volume, it's always amazing.
Each time I've read it, I've picked up new insights through this work.

I love the Native elements and references; her language is indicative of a world view that I love being a part of each time I read.
Kevin Fanning
Struggled with it. Agree with her politics and am interested in her story and the story of her people, but I just didn't connect with the writing.
Amy
I enjoyed the poetry more than the prose, but Harjo's work doesn't disappoint.
Fran
another incredible collection of poems and short stories.
Holly
gorgeous. making words do a whole new thing.
Maryam
searing, heart-opening. precious medicine
David Baca
David Baca marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
YVE
YVE marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Carolyn Gaar
Carolyn Gaar marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Emily Graves
Emily Graves marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Krystle Wong
Krystle Wong marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Bio Joy Harjo
Joy Harjo was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma and is a member of the Mvskoke Nation. She has released four award-winning CD's of original music and won a Native American Music Award (NAMMY) for Best Female Artist of the Year. She performs nationally and internationally solo and with her band, The Arrow Dynamics. She has appeared on HBO's Def Poetry Jam, in venues in every major U.S. city and...more
More about Joy Harjo...
She Had Some Horses Crazy Brave: A Memoir The Woman Who Fell from the Sky: Poems In Mad Love and War How We Became Human: New and Selected Poems 1975-2002