Start by marking “The Things We Do for Love” as Want to Read:
The Things We Do for Love

The Things We Do for Love (Palace Hotel Trilogy #2)

From glass slippers to glass ceilings, via glam rock, punk, and the New Romantics, the lives of two very different woman from the same small town unfold against the backdrop of a divided nation. It is 1969, and eight-year-old Julia dreams of being a princess. But a fairytale wedding is no guarantee of living happily ever after. It is only when Julia begins to realize her r ...more
Published August 25th 2008 by Transworld Publishers (first published June 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Things We Do for Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Things We Do for Love

Anne
Sep 02, 2009 Anne rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved every page of this book. I'm only sorry now that I hadn't read The Time of Our Lives first, but it really doesn't matter as there is a family history tree at the beginning of the book and all of the characters soon fall into place.

Anyone who enjoys the saga type stories by authors such as Penny Vincenzi or Barbara Taylor-Bradford will love this one too. The story centres on two families in one small seaside town - each family are just a cut above the ordinary folk of the town
Claire Flower
Oct 03, 2013 Claire Flower rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually really enjoyed this book, I bought it months ago after quite liking the plot but didn't get round to reading it until last night and I thought I'd read for a bit before going to bed...well 3am this morning I was still reading...and finished it over breakfast despite it being 500 pages long. Addictive in a soap opera way and the parallels to the royal family once you see them can't be unseen. I wish I'd read the previous book, I may have to take a trip to Waterstones tomorrow.
Lara
Jul 29, 2011 Lara rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK!! I read the first in this trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed it, so couldnt wait to read this one. It was worth the wait. I love how the characters develop as the years go by. It is a bit soap operish, but its a good old saga involving several families, and it had me gripped. really looking forward to the last in the trilogy.
Jo Barton
Jul 18, 2010 Jo Barton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is book two in the Kingshaven trilogy, and is every bit as good as the first book. Continuing the story of this fictional seaside town, and the families who make their mark on the town.
Great characterisation and beautifully written, this story brings the years 1969-1993 vividly to life.
Lesley
Apr 05, 2011 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read
Stella Branch
Apr 26, 2014 Stella Branch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second of a Trilogy charting the characters through the 70s and 80s. A really good read.
Isabel Wolff
Oct 09, 2009 Isabel Wolff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second instalment in Imogen Parker's excellent trilogy about the Palace Hotel - in fact a metaphor for the House of Windor... very enjouable and beautifully written.
Jayne Larkin
Jayne Larkin rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2016
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2009
Jean Davies
Jean Davies rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Sparklebooks
Sparklebooks rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2010
Claire Dobson
Claire Dobson rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Glennda
Glennda rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2015
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2010
Hilary Hall
Hilary Hall rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Jowita
Jowita rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2010
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Sherah
Sherah rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2009
Rebecca Miller
Rebecca Miller rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Suzan
Suzan rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Kirsty Gibb
Kirsty Gibb rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2012
Diana
Diana rated it did not like it
Jan 09, 2012
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Ira
Ira rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2011
Clarissa
Clarissa rated it liked it
May 17, 2011

Palace Hotel Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Time of Our Lives