Start by marking “Tomorrow's Promise” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow's Promise

Tomorrow's Promise

3.53  ·  Rating Details ·  1,621 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
It happened the way attraction happens best: suddenly, passionately, unforgettably. They were speaking at the same congressional hearing about Vietnam soldiers listed MIA. Keely's husband was among the missing soldiers. He had been her childhood sweetheart, her future and then the unanswered question Keely had dedicated her life to solving. Now there was Dax. Could she all ...more
Paperback, Reprint, 304 pages
Published June 1st 2000 by Mira Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow's Promise

Melanie♥
5 stars for the narrator and 4.5 stars for the story
Despite being dated (this was written in the early 80's) I really enjoyed this sweet love story. The narrator is one of my favorites and did an amazing job on the southern accents.
Serella
May 23, 2013 Serella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was one of my first Sandra Brown's novels that I have ever read. And it was because of this book that she has now become one of my ALL-TIME favorite authors! This book was... WOW.

What drew me in, you might ask?
Well first of all, the cover of this edition is so beautiful. I know the golden rule is never to trust a book by its cover, but I'm so happy that I did in that case. Otherwise I never would've discovered how wonderfully talented Ms. Brown is in writing about love, tragedy and hope.

I
Carol Stanley-Snow
Jun 25, 2014 Carol Stanley-Snow rated it it was amazing
RECEIVED BOOK FREE THROUGH GOODREADS FIRST READS.

Again, another great Sandra Brown read.

A heart tugging story of a woman not sure is she is a wife or a widow. A story of MIAs and those left behind in an emotional limbo. AND...a love that grows dispite the unknown.

Anyway, i really love Sandra Brown and i hope you read this story and also become a fan.
Lynsey A
Kari
Apr 10, 2012 Kari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2012
Given the content of Tomorrow's Promise, this book is definitely dated. It's hard to ignore the time it was written since it deals with MIA soldiers from the Vietnam war. I have mixed feelings about this book. I loved Dax. He is such a sweet guy and any woman would be a fool not to fall in love with him. His attraction to Keely is instant and even though she fights it at first, it is instant for her as well. I felt badly for him as I wanted to see him with Keely.

That was about all I liked about
Diane
Dec 18, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
such a great love story from brown. one of her earlier books from 1983 and the plot is a woman waiting for confirmation if her husband is dead or alive from the vietnam war. it's been 13 years and she had only been married to mark for 2 weeks before he was shipped overseas. on her way to a conferece about this plight, she meets congrassman dax deraoux. a love story insues but she feels she must stay viligent to mark and the cause. will she findout marks fate when 26 soilders are eventually retur ...more
Jami Blossom
May 07, 2014 Jami Blossom rated it it was amazing
This is an older book of Sandra brown and it was romance not murder or mystery. It was a good romance thought, I read it in two days!
Joannie
Apr 24, 2014 Joannie rated it it was amazing
Excellent. It swept you and made u hold your breath when they found the 26 men..
Kim
Feb 24, 2017 Kim rated it really liked it
Keely Preston was married to her high school sweetheart and 2 day after they were married he was ship out to war. 12 year early his helicopter went down and she did know if he was dead or alive. She was a remember of a group trying to found out about MIA missing. Then she meet Senator Deveraux and then fell in love with him but she left and went home because she didn't want to ruin his campaign for bid on another terms. Keely is a Traffic reporter for a Radio station and her helicopter went down ...more
Eden Mengistu
Feb 16, 2017 Eden Mengistu rated it really liked it
this was emotional . the heroine trying to move on after her husbands death and finding love again with a a politician. i loved Dax , the male lead, he was great with her but she was a little hard to connect with still i enjoyed it.
Mery
May 05, 2011 Mery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lepas
ubek-ubek lemari buku, ternyata aku punya buku ini. :D

Buku ini entah kenapa bisa ada di lemariku, tapi pas lihat harga belakang 12rb, baru inget aku beli ini pas emang lagi diskonan. Kayaknya sih asal comot karena tahu nama Sandra Brown :D

Ceritanya bagus.

Ceweknya namanya Keely, dia sudah nikah selama 12 tahun, tapi cuma ngerasain 3 minggu kebersamaan lantaran suaminya Mark harus berangkat ke Vietnam. Sebenarnya alasan mereka nikah ya memang karena Mark mau berangkat perang. Sayangnya nasib berka
Marielle
Dec 03, 2015 Marielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-paper-book
(P) What a surprise this story was. This was my first time reading a Sandra Brown story. I got the book as part of a bulk-second hand book-buy and I didn't have any expectations.
Reading the reviews after finishing this I realised that most reviewers were expecting a mystery and were disapointed that this one was all romance. But that is exaxtly what I like, so you won't hear me complain. It's also a little dated which put another group of readers off this book. Well, I was a adult in the 80's s
Monis
Jan 01, 2012 Monis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads!

Kiedy otrzymałam "Prawo do szczęścia" bardzo się ucieszyłam, ponieważ uwielbiam książki Pani Brown. Każda z nich opowiada inną historię i każda jest wyjątkowa, na tej również się nie zawiodłam. Książkę świetnie się czyta, jest intrygująca więc również szybko ją pochłonęłam. Jest to opowieść o trudnych wyborach, poczuciu winy, odpowiedzialności za siebie i drugiego człowieka, wewnętrznej zmianie po ogromnym bólu zarówno fizycznym jak i psychiczn
Bronwyn Rykiert
I have read some good Sandra Brown novels but, for me, this was not one of them.

I did not like the main charcater Keely and her martyism. Keely's husband of a couple of months missing for 12 years and she put her life on hold in case he returns. When she evenutally meet someone she can't do anything and when she has a one night together she feels guilty about it? Come on! I found even the fact that Keely did not want to fly silly with her only reason being that husband was killed (though she wa
Iris Blobel
Aug 06, 2012 Iris Blobel rated it it was ok
This story, if I may call it that, was just going on and on and on ... without anything really happening. And then something came up that made me check the blurb on the back cover and found out the book is almost thirty years old!

I've got to admit I didn't like the story. I think even placed into the "now" time, it'd be boring and at places close to unbelievable with so many coincidences.

Keely's soldier-husband has been missing in action for twelve years. She doesn't know whether he's dead or a
Elise
Dec 07, 2012 Elise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the next in my "random reading off the office bookshelf", otherwise I would rather be flayed alive than read a crappy lowbrow romance novel.

But I read it anyway.

It's a formula romance novel. You either like them or you don't.

Keely's husband is MIA in Vietnam (this is the early 1980s); on a trip to Washington to lobby for continuing benefits for MIA soldiers' families, she meets a hunky Senator, Dax Devereaux. Much passion and guilt and back and forth and "I must never see you again!" mom
Kay-em
Feb 01, 2015 Kay-em rated it liked it
Shelves: okay-ish
This is the first romance by SB that I've read. I've enjoyed most of her romance suspense stories and as a result, had high expectations for this book when I picked it from the library. In few words - its ok - if you like romances that are poignant but with a happy ending. I recognized some of the characteristics of SB's writing that make her stand out even today, like the tremendous conflict in the relationship between the main characters due to their circumstances. This always makes a good sto ...more
Jeanne
May 14, 2015 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Keely Preston was a radio personality from New Orleans and Dax Devereaux was the Congressman from Louisiana. As fate would have it they were speaking at a congressional hearing about Vietnam soldiers listed as MIA. Keely's husband was MIA for the last 12 years. She and her friend Betty headed a groups of concerned wives over a proposed bill in congress to eliminate the MIA's wages. Everywhere she turned there was Dax, she had felt a spark ever since there first meeting on the plane to the hearin ...more
Steph
Mar 25, 2008 Steph rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
sandra brown likes to explore really squirmy relationships that i don't approve of at all, which then ruins any enjoyment one might take from the love story - romances between women and their sister's ex-husbands/boyfriends, romances when one of the parties is married, and here, a romance between a woman who's husband is missing at war and the senator who is helping her in her cause for the missing men. such an icky, uncomfortable situation, so not a concept i want to explore, especially in an e ...more
S.J. Tyson
Dec 16, 2014 S.J. Tyson rated it really liked it
The story of the wife of a MIA Vietnam soldier and a handsome congressman that she meets on a flight to Washington, D.C., the book was short and sweet. Sometimes a little too coincidental with their subsequent encounters, but the story overall was worthwhile. Written by Ms. Brown in the early 1980s, you can definitely tell it is one of her earlier works. But I was invested enough in the story to stay up all night to finish it, so it can't be all bad.
Shawn
Sep 10, 2010 Shawn rated it really liked it
This is the first romance novel I have read. It was pretty much what I expected, but I can't say I was disappointed. Sometimes predictability can be a good thing! The characters, although a bit "ideal", felt very real. Most of the intimate scenes really got my heart pounding. And most importantly, the reason I give this book 4 stars instead of 3, I cried and cried and cried at the end. Very nice finish! :)
penelopewanders
This felt rather dated, as relations have evolved and I expect Nicole would be the norm now and not the exception. Keely's fervent vow of fidelity to an MIA fifteen years missing is moving, but rather sad at the end of the day. Dax was borderline stalker-like and clearly had consent issues which Keely was fine with as her "no" seemed to be more of a "don't make me decide"... anyway. Nice to see much has changed. I was a bit surprised as I expected more of a thriller/suspense from this author.
Maura
If I'm remembering this story correctly, Keely is married but her husband has been missing in Vietnam and she's taking political action about it. Along comes Dax and the fact that she's married gets in the way of their being together. I remember not liking that. I like Sandra Brown, but I'm not so much a fan of her earlier works. Especially not this one - but that was due more to circumstances in the novel.
LJ
Tomorrow's Promise - NR
Brown, Sandra (aka Laura Jordan, Rachel Ryan, Erin St. Claire)

It happened the way attraction happens best: suddenly, passionately, unforgettably. High above the ground on a crowded flight to Washington, D.C., radio personality Keely Preston felt the irresistible pull of Congressman Dax Devereaux, and nothing would ever be the same.

Definitely not one of my favorites.
Sari
Jun 28, 2009 Sari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sandrabrown
Dari awal sampe 1 bab sebelum ending, menurut gw nih buku bagus, beda dari perkiraan sebelumnya yg membuat gw males membacanya.
Tapi....pas di bab akhir, tokoh cwnya bikin gw ilfil n membuat gw menyesal sudah membaca n membeli nih buku. Biz tuh cw dangkal banget, sok suci tapi giliran buat kesalahan malah menyalahkan tokoh cowonya. Aneh banget dah. Untung nih buku diskon, jadi gak bikin gw menyesal bgt krn ud beli, klo gak, bisa" gw nyesel ampe keubun" d. BT X(
Andrea Larson
Dec 18, 2008 Andrea Larson rated it it was ok
After reading Ricochet and Play Dirty, this was somewhat of a disappointment. It was a so-so love story about a woman whose husband disappears in Vietnam. After 12 years, the government is proposing a bill to have these men (there are 2000) declared legally dead. She is head of a group that's fighting this bill - but then falls in love with a congressman who's a part of the hearing for the bill.
Tasha
Dec 03, 2011 Tasha rated it liked it
Shelves: he-loves-me, romance
It was rather odd, I picked up several books at the library and I think half were about vets. I really liked this one. It's the first one I've read where the story focuses on the family left behind when a vet is MIA. I also like some of the political aspects or behind the scenes info. As always, Brown has gret characters. Good read.
Carrie
If you take into account the date of publication (1983) this is a decent romance. Overly dramatic? yes. Dated? Yes. But the story contained a sympathetic and, at times, poignant look at the limbo the wives of soldiers missing-in-action live in, even years after the fact. That part of the story was moving and worth thinking about.
Gjbates
Oct 30, 2013 Gjbates rated it really liked it
I really liked Dax, but I had a problem with Keely waiting for so long for a missing husband when he was almost likely dead. When she thought Dax was lying about her husband being dead I was even more annoyed. I did think the story was interesting with the main plot being soldiers missing from Vietnam
Jenn
Sep 30, 2011 Jenn rated it it was ok
Found in the back of a closet at work, when I was desperate for something to read during lunch. It definitely supports my decision to only read Sandra Brown mysteries and steer clear of her romances.
  • Where There Is Evil
  • A Willing Surrender
  • After The Music
  • Nice Girls Finish Last
  • Millie's Rose
  • Aftershocks
  • Pinangan Terselubung (The Baby Proposal)
  • Smokescreen Marriage / Pernikahan Semu
  • Cry Uncle
  • Cowboy Up (The Sweet Shoppe, #1)
  • A Rose in Winter
  • Forbidden Love
  • Pernikahan Pura-Pura (A Mediterranean Marriage #5)
  • Fall from Grace
  • The Main Attraction
  • Princess Diana- The Day She Didn't Die A Novel
  • The Man She Loves To Hate (The Eligible Bachelors, #1)
  • Twist of Fate

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), & TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over
More about Sandra Brown...