Start by marking “The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants” as Want to Read:

A guide to 32 of the best and most common edible wild plants in North America, with detailed information on how to identify them, where they are found, how and when they are harvested, which parts are used, how they are prepared, as well as their culinary use, ecology, conservation, and cultural history.
Published May 1st 2006 by Foragers Harvest Press

To ask other readers questions about The Forager's Harvest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forager's Harvest

Kellyann
Jan 19, 2013 Kellyann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, food
Fewer foods but more in-depth than Edible Wild Plants. The author is hilarious and so readable. He's been hooked on wild foods since he was 6, and he always supplements what he reads with personal experimentation. For instance, whereas authors of other wild food books just repeat the nonsense about wild parsnip being poisonous, he questions the received wisdom, checks the science, and tries it for himself. The outcome: he proves that wild parsnip is the same species as garden parsnip, debunks al ...more
Ami
Aug 18, 2009 Ami rated it it was amazing
I learned a heckuva lot about wild foods, but the thing I loved most about this book was the author's straightforward, no-nonsense voice. Thayer states that he has narrowed the breadth of plants in the book so that he could give increased depth, and also ensured that he has not included any plant which he has not personally eaten over 50 times. Apparently, there is a wealth of MISinformation in wild edible literature, which makes me a bit hesitant, and I'm sure Thayer would say, "rightly so"! He ...more
Sasha
Apr 21, 2009 Sasha rated it it was amazing
I picked this up along with some recipe books at the library, since I know there's a foraging movement of sorts here in Ye Olde Baye Area.. but just got really excited about having it because I brought in a big harvest of greens and snap peas from my garden! I know I know, a garden is cultivated.. but it's food I got outside in the dirt, and that's closer to foraging than going to the farmer's market or picking up my CSA box. So. Foraging education, begin! PS, this book covers a whole bunch of r ...more
Wendy
Dec 26, 2010 Wendy rated it it was amazing
I put this on my AMZN wishlist after Po's Pon mentioned it on his blog and Nick gave it to me for Christmas, and I ripped through it. Skipped through some, but read enough to find out that the tree I've been wondering about on my shorter run loop is a butternut tree and I can't WAIT until it drops those weird sticky green footballs again, because they sound awesome. And we have tons of milkweed growing in the flood-irrigated pastures along the route as well, so maybe we'll get some premission fr ...more
Jessica
Jan 22, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
the conversational tone works very well for this guide book. it has made foraging in my area (which is the same latitude in MN while the author wrote this book in WI) as easy as foraging for actual food can be. berries and fruits are not much of a focus for this book, but rather foods that you could potentially make a meal out of. reference to poisonous look-a-likes is addressed quite well. my favorite part of the book is the two page chart giving you the time-frames you can expect the various p ...more
Tim
Sep 15, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it
I've been foraging this year and this book makes me wish I'd had it in early spring. It's been a busy first year for me: Making my own maple syrup in April, harvesting dandelion flowers/greens and wood sorrel in spring, foraging mugwort/bergamot/yarrow/nodding onion/linden leaves in the summer, picking wild plums/wild apricots/aronia berries in late summer, and now black walnuts/butternuts/hackberries/and mushrooming in fall. If I was going to write a book on Foraging, I'd write it like this.
Sep 25, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Very clear and concise. Full of information. Doesn't require pairing up with a field guide like some foraging books, though it wouldn't hurt, either. It's helpful to me that this man's homeland expertise is within a 100 mile radius of my own midwestern living space. (I once read a really great seasonal survival book in which most of the plants didn't apply to my knowledge needs because they grew mainly in the U.K.)
Andrea
Jul 29, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Fantastic resource for the upper Midwest. I'm finding so many of these plants right in my neighborhood! I'm waiting eagerly for grapes and sumac. Hoping to find wild rice. I'm even thinking about trying milkweed - I always thought it was poisonous, turns out no!
Parker
Mar 24, 2014 Parker rated it it was amazing
The FORAGERS HARVEST by Samuel Thayer is a informational book. It gives detailed info on wild edibles such as Nettles, Carrion,choke berry' sand more. A wild edible is just a plant hat is edible that's found in the woods.Although there are only around 20 plants in this book, the detail on each is amazing. It also goes into detail on how to preserve foods as well, which is also very interesting. The author makes the book very enjoyable with his humor and insight in his life.

This book goes in to w
brook
Dec 05, 2014 brook rated it really liked it
Very handy, with many of the plants found in the mid-Atlantic. The descriptions are good (non-botanists are going to need the glossary, as the best way to describe these plants is by specific characteristics, not "it's sorta green and sorta purple, with big leaves"), and the glossary is helpful, with line drawings of some of the basic differences.

Unfortunately, I read this book in winter, when all but 2 or 3 species were not available to harvest or look at. But, spending a lot of time outside,
Jo
Aug 17, 2015 Jo rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! I really can't say anything bad about this. There were lots of pictures. And it's very helpful how he points out when there is a poisonous look alike, and he goes into great detail about how they're different, so it's easy to differentiate between the two species. I like how he points out how so many other foraging books make hella mistakes with identifying plants. I do think he went a bit overboard on how people/companies are jerks to foragers/anyone different (or whose ey ...more
Cliff
Jun 14, 2013 Cliff rated it it was amazing
As with Thayer's other tome, this is remarkably and thoroughly written. It does apply best to those persons east of the American Rocky Mountains, but that is not a fault of the book, for no single tome can cover all of North America's varied biomes. I found it especially useful. So much of my life has been spent in the wilds of the Louisiana bayous and the subarctic wilderness of the far north, so when I came to the rolling woodlands of east Canada there was a lot of new flora to learn.
Pierre
May 04, 2008 Pierre rated it really liked it
Great introduction to foraging for wild foods. Dispels a great number of myths about the topic. Excellently detailed pictures and descriptions of edible wild plants. Major weakness of the book is that he only describes a handful of them, which defeats the point of having the guide.
Danielle
Sep 29, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing
The most comprehensive foraging guide I've read to date. And it's fun to read! What more could you ask for? ... When I honestly ask myself that question, nothing more comes to mind. Thayer covers wild foods from so many angles - what to find, where to find it, how to prepare it, preserve it, etc.
Stephanie
May 15, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature
Entertaining and informative. I have had the pleasure of getting to know his family at the Midwest Wild Harvest Festivals each year, I am happy to say his book was as good as everyone says it is! I am a Sam Thayer super fan.
Josie
Jun 09, 2011 Josie rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, nature, cooking
Lots of good information, clear pictures, and indepth descriptions and usage for a variety of North American plants. Also includes recipes. The layout, though, isn't my favorite: the mass of information for each plant makes it more difficult to browse.
BookBec
Mar 31, 2015 BookBec rated it liked it
Shelves: food
This book is most relevant for those in the Midwest or East Coast. His other book, Nature's Garden, has more useful entries for those of us in the Pacific Northwest. Love the chatty yet well-informed authorial voice.
Linda
Sep 19, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
I will contiue t6o read this book as I will start foraging in 2012 as a new hobby. I like that he brings his personal experience of finding the wild plants to this book. Factual and well researched Samuel thayer is a cut above when reading about ethnobotany.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Feb 01, 2010 Linda Branham Greenwell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
LOts of good pictures describing what is edible and what isn't. Also tell how to prepare what you forage
Joshua
Aug 09, 2009 Joshua added it
Shelves: hippie, pennsylvania
Great guide book for unambiguous identification. I've found most of these here on campus, in Pennsylvania.
raina
Jun 25, 2009 raina rated it it was amazing
i have tried to read many wildcrafting for food/medicine books and this is far and away the very best. very detailed, accurate, confidence building
Tara
Aug 29, 2013 Tara rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
He makes every single plant sound like the most delicious thing ever. I haven't had a lot of success finding the foods here--I found a more geographically limited guide more helpful.
Arabesque
Sep 29, 2013 Arabesque rated it liked it
Doesn't have too many plants in here but that is probably because it goes very into depth with the ones it does have.
Michael Natrin
Excellent information. Great photos and descriptions. The foraging section starts off with a helpful timeline of when different species are ready to harvest.
Dec 12, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
One of the better wild foods books in my opinion. He emphasizes plants not covered in the standard books like groundnut and others.
Foxytocin
Jul 08, 2010 Foxytocin rated it it was amazing
Exceptionally well-presented. Detailed photographs, a sense of humour, solid details and facts.....
Wysteria Jackson
Wysteria Jackson rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Denise Lippy
Denise Lippy rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2013
Billy Joe
Billy Joe rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2012
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • Stalking the Wild Asparagus
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Rainwater Harvesting For Drylands and Beyond, Volume 2: Water-Harvesting Earthworks
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • Hunt, Gather, Cook: Finding the Forgotten Feast
  • Edible Wild Plants: Wild Foods from Dirt to Plate
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Water Storage: Tanks, Cisterns, Aquifers, and Ponds for Domestic Supply, Fire and Emergency Use--Includes How to Make Ferrocement Water Tanks
  • Outdoor Survival Skills