Start by marking “Don't Take Your Snake for a Stroll” as Want to Read:
Don't Take Your Snake for a Stroll

Don't Take Your Snake for a Stroll

In the spirit of Margot Apple's Sheep in a Shop, this humorous litany of what might happen if one takes exotic pets out for a stroll, shopping, to the beach, or on any number of outings makes for a comic cautionary tale. Brief rhymes, one for each situation, describe the action, which is perfectly complemented by the wacky artwork. Illustrations in bright colors and outlin ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Don't Take Your Snake for a Stroll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Take Your Snake for a Stroll

Kelsey
This book features a young boy being admonished to leave his animals at home because they don't fit in at the beach, the movies or the mall. Children may enjoy illustrations of the animals up to a variety of silly antics. The rhyme scheme could be used to promote phonological awareness. Readers may want to practice reading the book aloud first because some of the rhymes take practice to develop the appropriate rhythm. The book could also be used to promote vocabulary about different places that ...more
David
Don't Take Your Snake for a Stroll by Karin Ireland, illustrated by David Catrow, is a humorous look at why you should NOT take your exotic, wild animal pets out into public.

Catrow's humorous illustrations were done in watercolor on bristol board. The cartoon-like, exaggerated images match the silly situations and resulting pandemonium well. My favorite images are title page, snake, skunk, moose, ducks, rhino, and alligator.

The illustrations extend the story, will appeal to children, and are th
The Brothers
Jan 23, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: david-catrow, humor, pets
While not the first book to have clever suggestions about what not to do with a variety of animals (think Judi Barrett's "Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing) this book has its own unique charm. The rhymes about each animal are short, sweet and fun.

Excellent illustrations (but then again, I like anything David Catrow does).
Laura Pharis
This book reminded me of "If you give a mouse a cookie" and the series of books similar to it. Personally, I was not as much of a fan of this book as the others. I thought it was a bit redundant feeling which caused me to become slightly bored with it halfway through the book.
Kathryn
Jun 07, 2015 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
So much fun! Between the detailed whimsical illustrations and the funny story of taking various creatures to different places and the outrageous outcome, I laughed and enjoyed every page...
kristina
Jun 05, 2016 kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picture Book - Humorous

Mayhem ensues when a little boy takes unusual pets like a rhinoceros and a kangaroo to places usually reserved for people.
Kindergarten unit: pets
Jordy
This starts out so strong...
Elizabeth S
Mar 19, 2015 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-picture, e-short, l-lib
Extremely fun book offering all sorts of advice on where NOT to take non-traditional animal pets.
There was a lot of amusing tidbits in this book, but the entiretly wasn't nearly as amusing as it should have been. Sure, parts of it were funny and I thought a lot of the illustrations were insanely comical, but some things just didn't click. I might still recommend though.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Kelley
This imaginative story consists of suggestions to exotic pet owners for places not to take the pets and the trouble that could ensue if they do. It features animals that kids will find interesting, mostly-satisfying rhymes, and a good dose of silliness. The illustrations contribute greatly to the humour of the storyline.

Romelle
Jan 16, 2013 Romelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
A rhyming picture book about the trouble wild animals can be as pets. It is a silly and fun book, but the rhyme and meter isn't as fluid as it should be. Each 4-line stanza could stand alone as a poem since there is no structure holding the story together. Nevertheless, young readers will enjoy the rumpus.
Becky B
A humorous picture book about why you shouldn't take your various pets on outings with you. For example, your skunk might stink up the airplane or the waiter at the restaurant may think your frogs escaped from the chef. The pictures are fanciful and captivating. Kids will love this book.
Tricia
What fun! Vivian immediately recognized the illustrator's unique style (Plantzilla...that's my girl)and each page that I turned the girls both wondered at the sight they beheld. Thought they would laugh more--witty text. Taking to May OR.
Luann
Aug 25, 2008 Luann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, 2008
A similar idea to Numeroff's "If you give a mouse a cookie" books, but with a different animal for each page. David Catrow's illustrations are very funny! My favorite is the elephant.
Erin
Mar 06, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The poems are clever and funny and the pictures are great. She gives you many good reasons to leave your animals at home. I really enjoy David Catrow's illustrations.
Fjóla
Funny and goofy, just like anything David Catrow illustrates.
Jen
Nov 07, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb, storytime
ages 3-7 according to book
really silly pictures
details that even adults would laugh at
rhymes
good for story time
showcases many animals.
Jill
Feb 12, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Cute, rhyming story of why you should not take animals out with you. However Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing by Judi Barrett is better!
Lindsay
Some of the rhymes are a stretch but Catrow's illustrations are as dynamic as ever and many of the stanzas are quite funny.
Jen H.
Another great book with illustrations by David Catrow. Rhyming text makes it a fun read aloud!!!!
Nikki
Jan 22, 2008 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Not good enough to own but cute to borrow from the library for a one-time read.
Jenny
Apr 22, 2009 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I liked the illustrations, the story was pretty cute.
Joelle
Oct 10, 2008 Joelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was a really fun read. We laughed a lot!
Cymiki
Aug 07, 2009 Cymiki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
very cute graphics!
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Jenni Frencham
Jenni Frencham rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Ingrid
Ingrid rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016