Start by marking “The Economist Style Guide” as Want to Read:
The Economist Style Guide

The Economist Style Guide

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This revised and expanded ninth edition is based on "The Economist's" own house style manual and is a boon for everyone who wants to communicate with the clarity, style, and precision for which "The Economist" is renowned.As the introduction says, "clarity of writing usually follows clarity of thought." The "Style Guide" gives general advice on writing, points out common e ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Bloomberg Press (first published September 2nd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Economist Style Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Economist Style Guide

Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/681975.html[return][return]Mandatory reading for those of us doing editing for a living, of course. Full of useful snippets and helpful hints, though I dare to disagree on a few points:[return][return]Dominicans Take care. Do they come from Dominica? Or the Dominican Republic? Or are they friars?[return][return]*Snerk!*[return][return]federalist in Britain, someone who believes in centralising the powers of associated states; in the United States and Europe, someone wh ...more
Christopher Intagliata
Oct 10, 2007 Christopher Intagliata rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers and journalists of all stripes
Hands down - the best style guide. Written in comedic fashion with irony that jumps off the page. Who wouldn't love a book that pokes fun at George Bush's scholastic abilities while explaining the difference in usage between 'may' and 'might'?

Also available in [almost] entirety online at http://www.economist.com
Caroline
Best grammar guide I've ever read.
Gregor Erbach
disappointing in some places - advocates short words and easy sentences, but does not follow this advice in the most complicated explanation of Ohm's law. On another page, Ohm is spelled as "öhm". I am surprised how much is left to the judgement of the writer, even in the areas of capitalization and punctuation.
Tim Carter
Exactly my edition. This was okay to look up individual details back in time, nowadays I'd always look up these things online through Google search though
Choong Chiat
An instructive, informative and useful guide book which is laced with the right amount of dry humour.

However, having a topical arrangement, especially for the first part of the book, would perhaps be better and more intuitive than the alphabetical arrangement used.
Harry Fozzard
Since we're constantly spewing content at #acme bpo consulting, we all have this one handy. Clear, fast and easy. No business writer should be without it.
TK Keanini
There are a few books I keep on hand when I am writing a whitepaper or statement of direction and this is one of them. Its small and well organized.
Eric Stone
My favorite style guide, even useful in American English. Fun to read, witty, smart and very useful. Should be on every writer's desk.
Jp J
Great reference book. use it to improve your writing. Obsessives can use it for emails too. Others to proof reading.
Sean
This is a great style guide that has helped me improve the clarity and conciseness of my writing.
Juliana Es
An ongoing reference.
Berra
The one and only
飞羽醉月
飞羽醉月 marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Mori N
Mori N is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2015
Yuanzhe Zhu
Yuanzhe Zhu marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Flat
Flat marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 07, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Neha Israney
Neha Israney marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Andrei Vasiloiu
Andrei Vasiloiu marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Jase
Jase added it
Jun 12, 2015
  • The St. Martin's Guide to Writing
  • Concise Oxford English Dictionary with CDROM
  • The Curious Researcher: A Guide to Writing Research Papers
  • The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-To-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes
  • Writing Research Papers: A Complete Guide
  • Arabic-English Dictionary
  • Plain English for Lawyers
  • Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Reference Books)
  • Port Out, Starboard Home
  • International Business: Environments and Operations
  • Managerial Accounting
  • Ajax in Action
  • The Meaning of Tingo and Other Extraordinary Words from around the World
The Economist Brands and Branding Unhappy Union: How Europe Can Resolve the Crisis It has Created Guide to Economic Indicators: Making Sense of Economics The Economist Economics: Making Sense of the Modern Economy (The Economist Books)