Start by marking “Bittersweet Rain” as Want to Read:

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,160 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
Caroline Dawson survived the town gossips who whispered behind her back. She survived the slow death of her husband, Roscoe Lancaster, the richest man in the county and her senior by three decades. But she feared she might not survive Rink Lancaster, her husband's son. Years before she married, when she and Rink were teens, he had introduced Caroline to her first tremulous ...more
Published January 15th 2000 by Grand Central Publishing (Formerly Warner Books) (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Bittersweet Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bittersweet Rain

Mo
Jan 05, 2015 Mo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Or maybe not. I have been on a bit of a SANDRA BROWN binge. Mostly reading her newer books. This was an older one... think it might be at least 20 years old, If I read it back in the day, I probably would have loved it. Saying that, I have read some of her older books and really liked them but there was something about this one that did not do it for me.

Saly
I really enjoyed Bittersweet Rain, the setup was really good.
When the book opens Caroline gets the news that her husband is dying of cancer and that he step-son Rink is coming home after twelve years. Slowly, we learn the truth that even though Caroline is married to Rink's father who is thirty years her senior, the one she loves is Rink, who she thinks made empty promises to her and never showed up.

Their first meeting is fiery and you can see the fire that exists between them and through flash-
Yunita Taman
Apr 12, 2015 Yunita Taman rated it it was amazing
Whoah, bacaan yang dahsyat. Sandra Brown memang menulis roman kelas dunia. Novel yang bertema agak tidak biasa ini sudah membuat aku kagum akan semua aspeknya.

Berawal dari kepulangan Rink, tuan muda Lancaster Gin ke kota Winstonville yang masih konvensional dimana penduduknya masih suka dengan gossip di sore hari dengan cangkir teh di tangan mereka, semua tidak pernah sama lagi setidaknya bagi Caroline Dawson Lancaster, mantan kekasihnya duabelas tahun yang lalu sekaligus, ehemm, ibu tirinya. Ri
Alois ★ Azuyu
May 22, 2016 Alois ★ Azuyu rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Bittersweet Rain atau Dalam Derai Hujan adalah karya Sandra Brown yang pertama kali saya baca. Novel ini rupanya novel jadul, diterbitkan tahun 1984 yang mana saat itu saya sendiri masih belum lahir, jadi terasa banget aura vintagenya.

Jauh sebelum saya mengenal alpha-male masa kini, era 80an dulu udah ada cowok macho yang ngeselin tapi ngangenin. Ialah Rink Lancaster, anak pemilik ladang kapas terbesar di Winstonville yang menyimpan rasa cinta yang dalam pada sang ibu tiri. Rink selalu mengenang
Susan (susayq ~)
3.5 stars.

This was pretty good. Lots of drama building angst in here. Caroline met Rink (yep, his name was Rink) 12 years ago and they fell in love. There were a couple of things wrong with that though - Caroline was the town drunk's daughter and Rink came from the wealthiest family in town. Oh, and let's not forget that she was 15 while he had just graduated from college. O.o Rink's dirtbag daddy found out (secretly) and maneuvered to keep them apart. Rink moved away married to someone else. Y
P.S. Winn
Dec 25, 2015 P.S. Winn rated it liked it
This is a quick read with not too many surprises, but you may find a few beneath the covers as Carolyn Dawson, a girl from the wrong side of the tracks, finds herself married to an older, rich man, When he dies, his son Rink, who Carolyn knows from years ago, comes back into her life things are going to change and the heat is turned on. I have read other books from this author which I enjoyed more, but readers, especially of romance, will find this a quick, passion filled read.
Julie Barrett
May 21, 2014 Julie Barrett rated it liked it
Bittersweet Rain
Caroline loves Roscoe, the older man rather than the son who's her age. The step daughter is 5 years younger than her but her mind is that of a child.
Rink, the son, has always stated he'd take care of Laura Jane. She doesn't understand why he doesn't live with them.
The raising of the thoroughbreds is an industry that Roscoe loved. Others now run it for him and Laura Jane shows love interest in the manage, Steve.
She and Rink had been together in their younger days, but Rink got an
Yona
Nov 01, 2011 Yona rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This is the second book by Sandra Brown which I've read and i can say that i really enjoyed it. It was sexy and funny.

So if you want to read a small beautiful romance this is the right book for you.

Caroline and Rink are so different, but made for each other. They were separated for 12 years and now they meet again. From the moment of their first meeting after all these years you can see they are right for each other. Even when they are angry or hurt.

Carolines husband - Rinks father made everythi
Dee
Mar 30, 2015 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two-haiku review:

They fell in love young
Torn apart by circumstance
Each thought other wrong

Very bad villain
Can't understand so much hate
Dated but still good
Janelle
Jan 31, 2011 Janelle rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, 2011
This book sure had it's steamy parts but there were some storylines that were just a smidge creepy when you look at it as a whole. The age differences in a couple scenarios and the woman with the little girl mind had to be skipped in a couple of parts as well. I like Sandra Brown so I'm not giving it a two-star rating, but I hope the next books I read aren't quite so controversial in my mind.
Jacqueline
Feb 19, 2010 Jacqueline rated it liked it
I have the vague memory that I read this book when it first came out. It was pretty good but I was a bit uncomfortable with Rink as a 21 year old being so in love with a 15 year old. At least it turned out he didn't actually sleep with her. It was a pretty good book but the hero and heroine could have been developed a bit more fully. Liked the secondary romance too. A decent read.
Gail Walraven
This was my third Sandra Brown novel and my least favourite of the three. (Low Pressure and Slow Heat in Heaven). I found this one to be predictable and because the sex scenes are so frequent, the author seems to be struggling for new and exciting ways to describe "the act". I can't recommend it.
ElaineY
Mar 29, 2014 ElaineY rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mf
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; FEBRUARY 4, 2014
Narrator: Joyce Bean.

The Narrator: Bean was good here. She's not a favorite female narrator but that could be because the other audiobooks by her had her voice too squeaky and nasal. She was nothing like that here.

The Story: I knew Sandra Brown wrote some shorter books as Erin St Claire but never read any. I had an idea what I'd be getting and did brace myself for some dated notions of romance, relationships, etc. I was even prepared to have a hero who chain
Kath
Feb 04, 2009 Kath rated it it was ok
Primary story not very believable - but a good secondary story, December 6, 2008
I realize that this book was originally released in the early 80's, so some of the themes were reflective of the times. One of them being a 15 year old having a relationship with a 22 year old man. Putting that aside, I still had issues with the story.

Rink (I love that name)returns 12 years after his romance with Caroline ended. Caroline is now married to Rinks very rich father and is dying. Rink is bitter about the
OceMei Belikova♥
tertarik begitu baik sinopsisnya. Caroline adalah kekasih Rink. Orang yang benar-benar ingin dinikahi Rink. Tapi tak pernah terjadi karna dendam ayahnya Rink yang begitu besar padanya. Caroline yang suppose to be married with Rink malah harus married dengan bokapnya. CaRoline yang semula cuma cinta ke Rink mulai meragukan Rink karna R ninggalin kota mreka tanpa say bye or sth, malah tersiar kabar Rink uda hamilin anak orang, so Caroline yg hopeless dan sejak dulu diolok-olok orang sekota karna a ...more
Fhily
Terjebak dengan kenangan dua belas tahun silam bersama Caroline --yang kini menjadi ibu tirinya-- Rink Lancaster kembali ke rumahnya The Retreat. Karena ayahnya yang sedang sekarat.
Roscoe Lancaster, ayah Rink menikah dengan Caroline Dawson yang lebih mudah 30 tahun darinya. Caroline Dawson adalah gadis musim panas Rink. Yang melintas terus menerus dalam pikiran Rink bahkan sampai 12 tahun mereka terpisah.
Keduanya saling salah paham dan berpendapat bahwa mereka saling mengkhianati cinta mereka ma
Wenny Widy
Dua belas tahun yang lalu, Rink Lancaster --putra dari orang paling kaya di Winstonville, Roscoe Lancaster-- bertemu dengan Caroline Dawson --putri Pete Dawson, lelaki miskin pemabuk--. Mereka terlibat cinta remaja yang menggairahkan. Pada akhir musim panas tahun itu, di pinggir hutan, mereka hampir saja melakukan hal terlarang, apalagi saat itu Caroline masih di bawah umur. Namun setelah kejadian itu, Rink menghilang entah ke mana.

Caroline justru dengan begitu mengejutkan menikah dengan Roscoe
Stacy
Jun 30, 2012 Stacy rated it liked it
Caroline grew up as the daughter of the town drunk. She was the poor girl who would never amount to anything. Rink was the significantly older, rich son of the town patriarch. He met Caroline when she was only 15 and fell in love. They hid their relationship until one day Rink decided to tell his father, regardless of the consequences.

Fast forward 12 years and you’ll find Caroline married to Roscoe, Rink’s dad. Roscoe is dying and Rink is forced to come home. Rink and Caroline are forced togethe
Dina Oktariani
Dec 04, 2012 Dina Oktariani rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Jadi, Caroline ini kekasih Rink. Tapi, Rink akhirnya menikah dengan perempuan lain karena perempuan ini, si Marilee hamil dan dia minta Rink yang bertanggung jawab. Dan Rink akhirnya pergi… Caroline sendiri akhirnya malah menikah dengan Roscoe, ayahnya Rink.

Setelah 12 tahun, Rink kembali. Itupun karena ayahnya sekarat. Berita barunya… Rink udah berpisah dengan istrinya karena emang ayah dari anak itu sebenernya bukan Rink. Dan setelah berpisah sekian lama, Rink & Caroline masih sama-sama ci
Amy (amyb2332)
I feel like this rating should really be a 2.5 stars but I went with 3 because I did look forward to listening to this every morning on my drive into work.

It took me a while to figure out that this book is really old. I knew it wasn't new but I didn't realize it was written in 1984! They kept talking about Rink (the main male character) being upset his 22-year-old sister was dating a Vietnam vet and I kept think well of course he's worried! That is double her age! But given that this takes plac
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Rink Lancaster adalah cinta pertama Caroline Dawson. Tapi karena campur tangan Roscoe Lancaster, ayah Rink, akhirnya cinta mereka berdua harus kandas ditengah jalan.

Bertahun-tahun kemudian, mereka dipertemukan kembali. Juga karena campur tangan Roscoe yang saat itu telah menikah dengan Caroline. Rink sendiri telah menikah dan bercerai dengan Marilee, yang memiliki seorang putri bernama Alyssa.

Mereka bertemu kembali ketika Roscoe sudah hampir sekarat namun pada saat itu justru mereka berdua tahu
CJ
Oct 20, 2014 CJ rated it did not like it
I'm sure Sandra Brown has lots of fans, but I am not one of them after reading this book, my introduction to her writing. The problem may have been that I was listening to it rather than reading it, and the narrator had some of the worst Southern accents I've ever heard. It was truly painful, and the plot was contrived from the first chapter. I didn't finish it; maybe it got better?
Nurul Hikmah
Jun 01, 2013 Nurul Hikmah added it
Shelves: harlequin
saya baca ebooknya dan makasih banget buat yg udah nerjemahin, walaupun terjemahannya acak adul bikin kening saya berkerut.

Setiap manusia punya obsesi begitu juga Caroline. Obsesinya terhadap nama baik membuatnya terikat pada seorang pria tua yang sialnya adalah ayah dari kekasih masa lalunya, Rink. Saya berpikir ayah Rink adalah ayah terjahat didunia. Memakai Caroline sebagai alat untuk membalas dendam terhadap puteranya. Baca novel ini membuat saya semakin yakin pada kalimat 'jodoh pasti berte
Michelle
Feb 21, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I loved it! I'm on a Sondra Brown marothon kick, I've only read 18 so far and to me the true love story books are Bittersweet Rain, Above And Beyond, Led Astray, Rainwater, I also put Breath Of Scandal in there, Low Pressure. The other ones are good suspense and more Twists. Not that these ones don't have suspense and twists.
Betty Melton
Apr 21, 2014 Betty Melton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great

Great

One of my all time favorite author. I drifted away from her written for a while, but after reading this book i will go back for more. I fell in love with her style with the first book i read "Fat Tuesday" and see she is just as entertaining
Linda Muranko
Good up to a point

this was a good book up to a point. It held my interest and I was curious as to what would happen next. However, once the deed was done between the two main characters it got to be very boring. It was sex sex sex. The story basically stopped at this point.
Farshana Sihab
Sep 02, 2015 Farshana Sihab rated it it was ok
Shelves: open-lib
Sandra Brown is one of my fav authors but some of her old romance novels are really not upto the standard of her current suspense genre. This one was just time pass read, just cldnt understand why Caroline agreed to marry the father when she was so much in love with the son.
Montessahall
Not the best SB book, not the worst. Keep in mind this was
very early in SB's writing career. The most interesting
characters were Laura Jane and Steve. Caroline and Rink
were not very believable in both their storyline and
dialogue.
Dewi Hambali
Nov 24, 2015 Dewi Hambali rated it really liked it
it was a good story from Sandra Brown. I can't stop reading it page by page. This story tell me about what true love is and we can learn that we don't need to hear every opinions from every one, because it was wasting time.
Gail
Jul 26, 2014 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovetoread

Lovetoread

Awesome as always Sandra Brown is one of the best writer's, weather love stories or mystery she never disappoints always keeps you wanting more thank you Sandra :-)
  • Where There Is Evil
  • Suspicion of Madness (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #7)
  • Tempted
  • Back Roads (Glens Crossing, #1)
  • The Seduction of an English Lady
  • Promise Me Forever (Lost Lords, #3)
  • Firebird
  • A Thin, Dark Line
  • Escape from Cabriz
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • Lethal Seduction
  • Hidden Threat (Hidden Threat #1)
  • Undone
  • First Comes Love
  • The Sunday List of Dreams
  • Sweet Caroline's Keeper (The Protectors, #15)
  • Under Cover
  • To Kiss a Spy (Kiss, #2)

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), & TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over
More about Sandra Brown...

“Ah, but being in love made you mean and crazy. Love made you act like a fool even when you knew you were acting like a fool and couldn't help yourself from acting like a fool.” 12 likes
“She kissed his eyebrow. “Not I.” 0 likes