The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful

The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,111 ratings  ·  32 reviews
“Diehn opens up a new dimension—the artist’s vision of visual memories. Consider this a superscript above all other entries.”—Booklist. “Encourages those who hesitate to start in on the pristine pages of a nicely bound blank book.... Lively and interesting illustrations make this a good selection for public library collections.”—Library Journal.
Published August 1st 2003 by Lark Books (first published October 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Decorated Page, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decorated Page

Dec 08, 2010 Laura added it
The Aesthetic Page: I came to THE DECORATED PAGE as a text-centric journal-keeper who rarely added anything else, and that would be nothing much more than gluing in a comic strip, artifact or article relative to the content of an entry. I was leery of a book with this title: what mattered was the text, so why decorate extraneously for decoration sake? Then I read what Gwen Diehn had to say (and show) and I immediately went out and bought a small inexpensive watercolor set, water color pencils an...more
Pamela
I unearthed this book amongst a few boxes I had never unpacked from our last move (I know, I know, over three years is a long time not to unpack, but such has been our lives since then). I was convicted by an early hypothesis of the author/artist: that most people have several empty journals lying about, in which they have been too blocked to enter the marvels originally imagined when it was purchased or made by hand. How many do I have? Too many to list here, but I immediately went to my booksh...more
Brittany
Jun 12, 2012 Brittany rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brittany by: Karen/Mom (It's her book)
I love journals. I do a lot of this kind of journaling with my kids (and when I was growing up) for homeschool and family vacations. We fill them with drawings, observations, photos, leaves & flowers... we've even glued in dirt!

This book has lots of ideas for enhancing the aesthetics of your journals. It suggests art techniques and supplies for home and the road, and has layout ideas as well. I love looking at the sample pages from artists' real journals.
Erik
At anytime, I have 3 journals going. My goal is to chronicle not only events for future reference but create a beautiful and accurate history of what my life is like as I see it through my eyes and experiences. This is a good but pricey resource I would recommend, but only if you have a coupon or can get it used. I can say it's defiitely improved my journals.
Erin
Mar 19, 2014 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: crafts
I'm not sure, with a process as personal as journaling, how to make a book about it. This book was a little bit of instructions on technique, but the author, like me, didn't want to instruct too much-- most of them were more like permissions than instructions. You have permission to do things this way. You have permission to sketch, whether or not you think it's any good. A few of the reminders-- the impact of certain layouts from a graphic design perspective, etc-- were interesting. Overall mos...more
Nina
I've kept journals since I was a little girl (I can go back and read my first impressions on getting glasses, back when I was eight), and recently I've started making and selling notebooks. The Decorated Page has some great ideas for enhancing the notebooks I sell, and outlines many art techniques that fit well inside the pages of a book. I'd recommend it to other journal enthusiasts, or to aspiring writers and artists looking for ways to get unstuck and conquer those blank white expanses of emp...more
bookyeti
In The Decorated Page — an inspiring and amply illustrated forerunner to her most recent work, The Decorated Journal — author and artist Gwen Diehn effortlessly motivates the flowing of creative juices with regards visual journaling (complementing descriptive text with visual art), beautifying and personalizing journals, scrapbooks, and albums as a form of artistic expression.

Diehn’s The Decorated Page, attests that she is not only adroit at binding and embellishing beautiful books, also finds h...more
liberal sprinkles
An old (now) but still very good primer on journals and journaling. Gwen Diehn includes all the basics you'll need to know to start keeping your own journal: there's plenty of information on the materials needed, including what will make your work archival; tips on modifying a book and cover to suit your needs, as well as on preparing backgrounds; then suggestions on design and layout. Diehn also takes the reader step by step through 10 sample pages tackling different issues with varied techniqu...more
Mimmy5
This is a note to myself about highlight of the book.

Supply list p 27-29
Techniques:
Removing pages p 35
Preparing pages p 54-68

Layouts p 69-88 (full, bleeds, borders, grids, mandalas, columns, diagonals, organic shapes, cutouts & add-ons)

*** Occam's razor ***

Listen
Collecting and pleasure

10 sample pages at the end of the book
Connie
I liked this book a lot! The pictures drew me in, making me wish I had a fraction of the various journalists' talents. Did the book inspire me? Yes! But this is so far removed from my text-only journaling attempts that I'm suffering from a combination of "I don't know where to start" and "I'm going to ruin it if I try it." Even if you never try these ideas and techniques, looking at the book is a joy in itself.
Sherry (sethurner)
This is a book that will probably inspire people who are new to illustrated journaling, but there wasn't anything particularly new for me here. THe thing I did like about it is that the author advocates plain and simple art supplies. So many journaling and scrapbooking "how-to" books seem to depend upon a lot of expensive and hard to find materials. This one doesn't.
Jane
As an inveterate diarist and journaller with a collection of books on the topic, thus is is my favourite art journalling book. The techniques and ideas are suitable for the inexperienced artist and don't require exotic equipment or material. The book itself is beautifully produced with plenty of inspiring examples for the beginning and advanced art journaller alike.
Kim
LOVE this book - it's a great resource volume, perfect for inspirations, and seems geared so as not to be too overwhelming for the beginner yet still meaty enough for the advanced journaller. And it's a gorgeous book to hold - well designed and full of eye candy. I'll be adding this one to my library.
Rebecca Huston
Another keeper on my scrapbooking shelf. This one covers a wide range of media and gives plenty of inspiration as well as advice. A bit tricky to find but worth it.

For the complete review, please go here:
Jo
I loved this book. It inspired me to make more of my journal and do all the arty things I always wanted but was affraid to start.

If you like book art, journalling, altered art and being creative then this is an excellent book to inspire.
Ammaly
Reading this book has inspired me to keep my journals in a whole new way by posting photos, drawing sketches and such, not just by writing everything down as usual. This certainly makes my fond memories come to life. Absolutely love it.
Tammy Powley
Mar 30, 2008 Tammy Powley added it
Recommends it for: paper artists, bookart lovers
Shelves: craft-books
If you like bookart, such as altred-books, art journals, even scrapbooks, then you'll love this beautiful book. It's got some how-to as well as a little bookart history as well.
Baseballs4me
This is a terrific book, with lots of ideas for doing journals et. al. I've checked it out a few times!! I copied a few ideas from it in my journal for future use.
Cheryl
Sep 05, 2011 Cheryl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
I liked it, but not a lot. It had a few very good ideas in there but most of it looked boring to me and there weren't as many pictures as I expected.
Beth
Jul 29, 2009 Beth added it
Dipped into this but saving digging into it for later. I think I'll loan it to Grace for awhile...she'd like it.
Diane
A beautiful book full of different ideas for designing and completing different styles of journal pages.
Karen Thacker
this book is for the very advanced scrapbook/journal creator in my opinion.
Kris
Nov 20, 2011 Kris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
One of my favorite books for art ideas and journal doodling!
Rebecca
Good ideas for journals of all sorts, plus techniques and tools.
Pam
Nice book but not my style.

Journal book style.
Recynd
Mostly eye-candy, but I find it inspirational.
Lisa
Some great ideas and inspiration.
Linda
a truly beautiful book about journaling
Maureen
Great, informative, inspirational.
Kelley
Great book for techniques
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • How to Make a Journal of Your Life
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Drawing From Life: The Journal as Art
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • Altered Books Workshop: 18 Creative Techniques for Self-Expression
  • Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun
The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages Live & Learn: Real Life Journals: Designing & Using Handmade Books Making Books That Fly, Fold, Wrap, Hide, Pop Up, Twist, And Turn: Books for Kids to Make The Complete Decorated Journal: A Compendium of Journaling Techniques Nature Crafts for Kids: 50 Fantastic Things to Make with Mother Nature's Help