Start by marking “99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special” as Want to Read:
99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special

99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Extraordinarily clever ways to transform any ordinary T-shirt.

The pattern techniques are simple, and the supplies you’ll need are easy to find: T-shirts, scissors, sewing needle, and thread. The difficulty of each project is rated from 1 to 4, and none take more than 30 minutes to create. You’ll never look plain wearing a T-shirt and jeans again.
Published March 7th 2006 by Potter Craft

Be the first to ask a question about 99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special

Jenni
These t-shirts look like sharks gnawed on them. By the end of the book, despite looking at nothing but two-color sketches (so, not even real models), I felt old and obese (I don't think I'm either). Also, if I tried to wear any of these for "a night on the town with the girls" (as the design suggestions implied I should), I'm pretty sure my friends would leave me or pretend not to know me.
I really like the designs in this books, but a lot of them riff off each other (so one design might turn into five with simple mods) and it's not nearly as detailed as "Generation T". Good for ideas, but not super great for teaching kids (which is what I'll be using it for). I also think that "Generation T" is good b/c it lists skill levels (1-5) with 5 being hard & using a lot of sewing. 99 doesn't do this, so ???
Linda
Wow, I never would have thought there were so many ways to make an old t-shirt look like new again, not to mention fashionable! I even came up with a few more ways while I read. However, I wish they had written this book about 10+ years ago when I was in college, as I do think I'll be flashing belly anytime soon. Although I could easily add length, and all of the open back shirts are gorgeous as well! I love how simply they laid everything out and how compact the book is, making for easy storage ...more
Holly
I keep thinking I'm gonna make stuff out of my old t-shirts - or all the t-shirts my boyfriend has given me - but it hasn't happened yet. Seeing the book is inspiring me now though - I've got a sewing machine and I know how to use it!
Sara
Barely a handful of reconstructions that I would wear, even if I could wear any of them, which I couldn't... these are 100% for that tiny handful of girls who never need to wear a bra.
Jessica
Apr 20, 2011 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fashionistas
Shelves: crafts
There are a lot of clever ideas for transforming the common t-shirt in this book. However, there are no photos of completed projects; only line drawings in 2 colors. So, we know how the modified t-shirts "should" look but not how they actually will look. The other drawback is that the instructions leave a lot of leeway. If you prefer pattern pieces and exact measurements, then you will be very frustrated. If you are comfortable with a general idea of your direction and your own instincts, then y ...more
Amber
"2 stars - it was ok"

Some cute designs but most build off of one another and many have too little fabric left for my taste, though they might work well with a complimentary, colorful undershirt.
Stacy
Sep 12, 2012 Stacy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: craft
I agree with the reviewers that felt frustrated by the skin-baring designs in the book. My DD and I checked it out for her so the youth issue isn't a problem but the ability to translate these ideas into kid-friendly clothes is hard. We've made one design so far and she loves it so it's a 4 star for us...but everything is going to require a tank under the shirt ;)
Jessica
May 30, 2007 Jessica rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenagers
Shelves: read-in-2007, sewing
The spiral-bound format is nice, and the heavy pages as well. But the designs are a bit...eh. I wouldn't wear some of these shirts even if they were the last things left in my closet. There are a few cute shirts that I wouldn't mind trying, but a lot of them are incredibly similar to each other (so the 99 is a tad misleading).
Raina
This is one of the three books I check out every six months or so when I feel like altering something. This is maybe my least favorite, because the illustrations of the finished designs are illustrated, and not photographs, and the instructions are not very specific or instructive. But for inspiration, it's good.
Ita
Most of the ideas in this book are geared towards younger people who want to display a fair amount of skin, but there were a couple of design ideas I liked. You do need to have rudimentary sewing skilz for most of the projects, but a handful of designs didn't require seaming or sewing.
Tiffini
Loved the skin bearing designs however, nothing I attempted looked like the cute line drawings. Don't know if my cutting skills or the instructions are to blame. YouTube videos will be my first choice next time I do a tshirt cut
Desi
If you are very young and in great shape, this might work for you, but I don't think it will help us transform our saggy old T's into anything cuter. These are slender t-shirts being cut up for youthful, fun looks.
Lyn
Great book with really interesting ideas though I wished the illustrations were not just fashion sketches but real pictures of the pieces. Great nonetheless!
Tisha
Most of the styles shown are not anything that I would wear, or otherwise use, but there are some and the techniques are interesting.
Generation T by Megan Nicolay wrote essentially the same book, but with much better instructions and graphics.
Jen
To hopefully revamp and breathe new life into my wardrobe with what is already there; I hate shopping.
jess
Aug 15, 2010 jess rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007, craft
d.i.y., tshirts, patterns, design, tailored, recycle, reuse, reclaim
Jillian
Cute ideas and loved the fashion-y sketches.
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Stephanie Noel
Stephanie Noel marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Thomasina Binder
Thomasina Binder marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Alicia
Alicia added it
Mar 24, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
  • D.I.Y.: Design It Yourself: A Design Handbook
  •  Cute Dolls
  • Warm Fuzzies: 30 Sweet Felted Projects
  • Lotta Prints: How to Print with Anything, from Potatoes to Linoleum
  • Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-Off Socks and Gloves
99 Ways to Cut, Sew & Deck Out Your Denim 99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Tie & Rock Your Scarf Refashioned Bags: Upcycle Anything into High-Style Handbags