Start by marking “99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special” as Want to Read:
99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special

99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  162 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Extraordinarily clever ways to transform any ordinary T-shirt.

The pattern techniques are simple, and the supplies you’ll need are easy to find: T-shirts, scissors, sewing needle, and thread. The difficulty of each project is rated from 1 to 4, and none take more than 30 minutes to create. You’ll never look plain wearing a T-shirt and jeans again.
Published March 7th 2006 by Potter Craft

Be the first to ask a question about 99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special

Jenni
Nov 29, 2013 Jenni rated it did not like it
Shelves: crafty
These t-shirts look like sharks gnawed on them. By the end of the book, despite looking at nothing but two-color sketches (so, not even real models), I felt old and obese (I don't think I'm either). Also, if I tried to wear any of these for "a night on the town with the girls" (as the design suggestions implied I should), I'm pretty sure my friends would leave me or pretend not to know me.
May 31, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
I really like the designs in this books, but a lot of them riff off each other (so one design might turn into five with simple mods) and it's not nearly as detailed as "Generation T". Good for ideas, but not super great for teaching kids (which is what I'll be using it for). I also think that "Generation T" is good b/c it lists skill levels (1-5) with 5 being hard & using a lot of sewing. 99 doesn't do this, so ???
Linda
Jun 07, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
Wow, I never would have thought there were so many ways to make an old t-shirt look like new again, not to mention fashionable! I even came up with a few more ways while I read. However, I wish they had written this book about 10+ years ago when I was in college, as I do think I'll be flashing belly anytime soon. Although I could easily add length, and all of the open back shirts are gorgeous as well! I love how simply they laid everything out and how compact the book is, making for easy storage ...more
Holly
Feb 07, 2015 Holly rated it liked it
I keep thinking I'm gonna make stuff out of my old t-shirts - or all the t-shirts my boyfriend has given me - but it hasn't happened yet. Seeing the book is inspiring me now though - I've got a sewing machine and I know how to use it!
Sara
Nov 23, 2014 Sara rated it did not like it
Barely a handful of reconstructions that I would wear, even if I could wear any of them, which I couldn't... these are 100% for that tiny handful of girls who never need to wear a bra.
Salsabrarian
The "Rachel #9" turned out really cute and generated lots of compliments. Other interesting designs: Naila #55, Lucia #59, Kayla #61, and Destiny #82.
Tina
Jun 17, 2015 Tina rated it did not like it
The instructions were good, but the fashions were not to my taste. Very grungy and cut-up- Nothing that anyone over 16 years old should be attempting to wear.
Jessica
Apr 20, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fashionistas
Shelves: crafts
There are a lot of clever ideas for transforming the common t-shirt in this book. However, there are no photos of completed projects; only line drawings in 2 colors. So, we know how the modified t-shirts "should" look but not how they actually will look. The other drawback is that the instructions leave a lot of leeway. If you prefer pattern pieces and exact measurements, then you will be very frustrated. If you are comfortable with a general idea of your direction and your own instincts, then y ...more
Amber
"2 stars - it was ok"

Some cute designs but most build off of one another and many have too little fabric left for my taste, though they might work well with a complimentary, colorful undershirt.
Stacy
Sep 12, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft
I agree with the reviewers that felt frustrated by the skin-baring designs in the book. My DD and I checked it out for her so the youth issue isn't a problem but the ability to translate these ideas into kid-friendly clothes is hard. We've made one design so far and she loves it so it's a 4 star for us...but everything is going to require a tank under the shirt ;)
Jessica
May 30, 2007 Jessica rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: teenagers
Shelves: read-in-2007, sewing
The spiral-bound format is nice, and the heavy pages as well. But the designs are a bit...eh. I wouldn't wear some of these shirts even if they were the last things left in my closet. There are a few cute shirts that I wouldn't mind trying, but a lot of them are incredibly similar to each other (so the 99 is a tad misleading).
Raina
Nov 22, 2010 Raina rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, nonfic
This is one of the three books I check out every six months or so when I feel like altering something. This is maybe my least favorite, because the illustrations of the finished designs are illustrated, and not photographs, and the instructions are not very specific or instructive. But for inspiration, it's good.
Ita
Jun 06, 2013 Ita rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Most of the ideas in this book are geared towards younger people who want to display a fair amount of skin, but there were a couple of design ideas I liked. You do need to have rudimentary sewing skilz for most of the projects, but a handful of designs didn't require seaming or sewing.
Tiffini
Jan 03, 2013 Tiffini rated it it was ok
Loved the skin bearing designs however, nothing I attempted looked like the cute line drawings. Don't know if my cutting skills or the instructions are to blame. YouTube videos will be my first choice next time I do a tshirt cut
Desi
Feb 22, 2009 Desi rated it it was ok
If you are very young and in great shape, this might work for you, but I don't think it will help us transform our saggy old T's into anything cuter. These are slender t-shirts being cut up for youthful, fun looks.
Lyn
Jun 02, 2008 Lyn rated it liked it
Great book with really interesting ideas though I wished the illustrations were not just fashion sketches but real pictures of the pieces. Great nonetheless!
Tisha
Aug 04, 2011 Tisha rated it liked it
Shelves: crafting
Most of the styles shown are not anything that I would wear, or otherwise use, but there are some and the techniques are interesting.
Jan 28, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
Generation T by Megan Nicolay wrote essentially the same book, but with much better instructions and graphics.
Jen
Jun 16, 2010 Jen rated it it was ok
To hopefully revamp and breathe new life into my wardrobe with what is already there; I hate shopping.
jess
Aug 15, 2010 jess rated it it was ok
Shelves: craft, 2007
d.i.y., tshirts, patterns, design, tailored, recycle, reuse, reclaim
Jillian
Cute ideas and loved the fashion-y sketches.
Deneen
Deneen marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Madison Gurd
Madison Gurd rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Heidi Kuchta
Heidi Kuchta rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Mark
Mark added it
Jul 22, 2016
Flora Wilson
Flora Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Swati Pandey
Swati Pandey marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Lori Posten
Lori Posten marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Hannah Daffinson
Hannah Daffinson marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Lyndsey
Lyndsey rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt
  • Super Crafty: Over 75 Amazing How-To Projects
  • Subversive Seamster: Transform Thrift Store Threads Into Street Couture
  • The Craftster Guide to Nifty, Thrifty, and Kitschy Crafts: Fifty Fabulous Projects from the Fifties and Sixties
  • Born-Again Vintage: 25 Ways to Deconstruct, Reinvent, and Recycle Your Wardrobe
  • Sew Subversive: Down & Dirty DIY for the Fabulous Fashionista