Mountain Light: In Search of the Dynamic Landscape

Mountain Light: In Search of the Dynamic Landscape

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This best-selling classic, which the New York Times called �the classiest `how-to� text on landscape color photography ever published,� captures the unique artistic vision of the late Galen Rowell, one of America�s greatest outdoor photographers. Here Rowell assembled eighty of his finest images, along with the stories behind them�what he was after and how he achieve
Published August 12th 1987 by Sierra Club Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Mountain Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountain Light

Josh
Jun 14, 2012 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: photographers
One of the most important things I took away from Rowell's book is his devotion to capturing images because they work for him emotionally, rather than simply shooting pictures that are technically well done yet lack a spark. It has changed the way I shoot; taking more time to really focus on why I'm capturing a moment. A must-read if you're a photographer or at least interested.
Becca
This is my current favorite. Galen Rowell's pictures are amazing (major understatement.) His writings of how he had the forsight to capture each picture makes for an inspiring, great read. He was an athlete and had a scientists mind - The book cover great adventures and he copiously notes the settings and equipment he used for each picture.
David Kessler
Years ago I read this. It is the most beautiful collection of mountain photos I have ever seen. Galen was a gifted photographer. I do not own any of his pics but his prints go for a very high price. I have looked at them in Lone Pine,CA in his gallery. Mostly pictures of the High Sierras.
Cindi
The photos in this book are beyond belief. Seems like another world. Galen Rowell certainly knows how to captivate. I didn't have time to read this book, but I really want to. Just in the few pages I read, I picked up the idea that a photographer isn't trying to show the viewer just the scene s/he sees, but something more. Whenever I've had a truly great photo, that something more must be there, but I didn't put it into words. I'll be back to this one and would like to own it just to sink myself...more
Ali6
My favorite photographer. Rowell began climbing mountains at age ten. Later becoming a full-time photographer/climber, his landscape and wilderness photos are even more amazing considering the mountains he climbed to get the photos. No PhotoShop was used in his photography. The book contains great narrative descriptions about most of the photos - the technical aspects at the scene, camera settings, his thoughts about the photos, etc. Galen and his wife Barbara were killed in a small plane crash...more
John Mattson
Galen Rowell was one of the best photographers of his era, and this book explains how. The photographs are incredible, and the master reveals many of the personal techniques he has used to achieve these results. This book greatly enhanced my photography skills, and I highly recommend it for aspiring photographers, or anyone who enjoys great photos of far away places.
Eric
This guy's pretty ridiculous. Forgetting how technically competent he is, just the fact that he does things like camp at the base of K2 for three months is impressive. That said, I couldn't bring myself to read the large swaths of text, instead reading the descriptions by the photos.
Danielle
I've been working through this book off and on now for a year, but I recently dived back in headfirst, starting at page one. Rowell backs his images up with sturdy, often inspiring descriptions and text. A must-read for any aspiring landscape photographer.
John Orman
This large format book can be taken as a how-to text on landscape photography. The images show off Rowell's true love for the outdoors, the wilder the better. I took these photos as a photo school all by themselves.
Jay Lichtman
I read this book every year or so. It is filled with favorite photos of the photographer along with excellent technical details and personal stories. A must-own book for any outdoor photographer.
Wade
Not to put to fine of point on it, but Rowell reinvented outdoor photography. I really liked this book.
Jim
An interesting look in to the insights of a great photographer with a hunger for remote places.
Steve
Read this if you want to learn outdoor photography tips from the best.
Jules
An enormous treasure of beauty and technique
Grace
Fabulous!
Fay
Fay marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Steve Losh
Steve Losh is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Nathan Peavey
Nathan Peavey marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography Galen Rowell's Vision: The Art of Adventure Photography In the Throne Room of the Mountain Gods Mountains of the Middle Kingdom: Exploring the High Peaks of China and Tibet High & Wild: Essays and Photographs on Wilderness Adventure