Start by marking “Mountain Light: In Search of the Dynamic Landscape” as Want to Read:
Mountain Light: In Search of the Dynamic Landscape

Mountain Light: In Search of the Dynamic Landscape

This best-selling classic, which the New York Times called �the classiest `how-to� text on landscape color photography ever published,� captures the unique artistic vision of the late Galen Rowell, one of America�s greatest outdoor photographers. Here Rowell assembled eighty of his finest images, along with the stories behind them�what he was after and how he achieve
Published August 12th 1987 by Sierra Club Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Mountain Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountain Light

Becca
Sep 01, 2009 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my current favorite. Galen Rowell's pictures are amazing (major understatement.) His writings of how he had the forsight to capture each picture makes for an inspiring, great read. He was an athlete and had a scientists mind - The book cover great adventures and he copiously notes the settings and equipment he used for each picture.
Josh
Nov 10, 2007 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: photographers
One of the most important things I took away from Rowell's book is his devotion to capturing images because they work for him emotionally, rather than simply shooting pictures that are technically well done yet lack a spark. It has changed the way I shoot; taking more time to really focus on why I'm capturing a moment. A must-read if you're a photographer or at least interested.
Dan Harris
Nov 27, 2015 Dan Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
May Galen Rowell rest peacefully in the light and the wind of the high mountains where he found such peace during his human time. I cannot thank this man enough. I saw this book in my used library section for $1.50. To my recollection, the best dollar I have ever spent. Even at the current price of 20 or so dollars, it is well worth that amount of physical resources. Galen introduces a unique perspective of how to interact with the wild environment, and arrive at a photograph.

His approach is fa
Puneet Dembla
Sep 03, 2015 Puneet Dembla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most amazing books ever read on landscape photography.

Its so good that my book, 400 photographs of ansel adams is total crap when compared to this, I am returning that useless pathetic book.

Galen Rowell is the true master, I cannot imagine what kind of images he would have created using current technology if he was still alive.

photographs are amazing and what's more amazing are the stories behind them, and the cherry on the top is that the philosophy of this guy is the purest and most
Ali6
Mar 27, 2007 Ali6 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite photographer. Rowell began climbing mountains at age ten. Later becoming a full-time photographer/climber, his landscape and wilderness photos are even more amazing considering the mountains he climbed to get the photos. No PhotoShop was used in his photography. The book contains great narrative descriptions about most of the photos - the technical aspects at the scene, camera settings, his thoughts about the photos, etc. Galen and his wife Barbara were killed in a small plane crash ...more
John Mattson
Jan 04, 2013 John Mattson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Galen Rowell was one of the best photographers of his era, and this book explains how. The photographs are incredible, and the master reveals many of the personal techniques he has used to achieve these results. This book greatly enhanced my photography skills, and I highly recommend it for aspiring photographers, or anyone who enjoys great photos of far away places.
David Kessler
Aug 02, 2014 David Kessler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Years ago I read this. It is the most beautiful collection of mountain photos I have ever seen. Galen was a gifted photographer. I do not own any of his pics but his prints go for a very high price. I have looked at them in Lone Pine,CA in his gallery. Mostly pictures of the High Sierras.
Jazz Fan
Aug 23, 2015 Jazz Fan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book. Beautiful images, lyrical writing, it transcends most books on photography by a mile.
Such a shame this talented photographer and writer's life ended so early.
If you are interested in landscape photography, this will give you something to strive for.
Eric
Apr 15, 2009 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
This guy's pretty ridiculous. Forgetting how technically competent he is, just the fact that he does things like camp at the base of K2 for three months is impressive. That said, I couldn't bring myself to read the large swaths of text, instead reading the descriptions by the photos.
Danielle
Jun 12, 2008 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been working through this book off and on now for a year, but I recently dived back in headfirst, starting at page one. Rowell backs his images up with sturdy, often inspiring descriptions and text. A must-read for any aspiring landscape photographer.
John Orman
Apr 26, 2013 John Orman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This large format book can be taken as a how-to text on landscape photography. The images show off Rowell's true love for the outdoors, the wilder the better. I took these photos as a photo school all by themselves.
Jay Lichtman
Feb 11, 2008 Jay Lichtman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book every year or so. It is filled with favorite photos of the photographer along with excellent technical details and personal stories. A must-own book for any outdoor photographer.
Grace
Nov 25, 2008 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
Fabulous!
Steve Losh
Aug 09, 2014 Steve Losh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this if you're a landscape photographer.
Wade
Jun 16, 2008 Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not to put to fine of point on it, but Rowell reinvented outdoor photography. I really liked this book.
Steve
Jun 22, 2009 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this if you want to learn outdoor photography tips from the best.
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2008
Dennis
Dennis rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2009
BifJoY
BifJoY rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Sara Silver
Sara Silver rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Eduardo Sverdlin
Eduardo Sverdlin rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2017
Howard
Howard rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2011
Paul L
Paul L rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2016
Mark Rooke-jones
Mark Rooke-jones rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2010
Rajbir Bhattacharjee
Rajbir Bhattacharjee rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Carlos Gianoli
Carlos Gianoli rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2016
Martin
Martin rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2010
Peter Sidell
Peter Sidell rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Vandan Desai
Vandan Desai rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
  • Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs
  • Creative Nature and Outdoor Photography
  • Trekking in the Nepal Himalaya
  • The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers
  • America's Wilderness: The Photographs Of Ansel Adams With The Writings Of John Muir
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide