Start by marking “Egyptian Magic” as Want to Read:
Egyptian Magic

Egyptian Magic

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Culled from ancient sources by the former keeper of the Egyptian collection at the British Museum, this informative volume presents the ancient Egyptians' names, spells, enchantments, amulets, pictures, and ceremonies for healing the sick, raising the dead, knowing the past and the future, destroying one's enemies, more.
Published October 1st 2000 by Citadel (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Egyptian Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Egyptian Magic

Varmint
My old instructors would ramble on as to how irrelevant Budge had become. His translations were iffy, his chronology off. The books no longer taken seriously by academics.

Budge has survived because he is readable. His writing stands after a hundred years. While most of my instructors couldn't go twenty minutes without putting half the class into a coma.
Keitra
I'm sad to say that I have to agree with the others who said this book was boring. I always find when I read that, I enjoy the books. This time, they were so, painfully right.

It felt like Budge was mocking the Egyptians for their beliefs. Also, most of the book was just quoted from the Bible and the Book of the Dead. Pages and pages of quoted material. I could just pick up those books if I wanted those stories. Please, tell me something new.

There was literally only one piece of information tha
Daniel G.
I'm very impressed. No question Budge's work is dated. Goodness, it was written in 1899; however, he is readable. And, if you've done much reading in the field of Egyptology, you can find he has the occasional surprising insight, the little detail, that he adds to your collective knowledge about ancient Egypt. As to the translation itself, I certainly don't read any of the Egyptian scripts, having done nothing more than toy with them. But I admire him for an admission he makes in the preface to ...more
G.A. Wilson
'Egyptian Magic' was first published in 1895 and the language is very much of that era. In its time, the book was an authoritative work on ancient Egyptian magic and occult practices. It contains interesting information on amulets, scarabs, spells, ghosts and mind control. Tales of magic have also been included, as well as an interpretation of the ancient Egyptian calendar. There are also some good illustrations.

I enjoyed leafing through this book, but mostly from a writer's point of view. I was
Jeannette Jackson
This is an awesome book that I often refer to at times when I am seeking answers in relation to Egyptian beliefs and rituals..I have many aha moments of insight that have been triggered after seeking it's assistance.. As a Master Energy Healer myself it certainly is a welcome friend along my path. I have a deep respect for E A Wallis Budge, great read for those that have parallel interests in this field of study and work, but a not so good read for the mainstream mindsets.
David Leroy
Great little book about the concepts behind ancient Egyptian Magic. The book was written in 1901, so long before the advent of the new age movement, or discoveries in quantum physics, so none of that stuff influenced the writer. It was very interesting to read about the religious ideas regarding words, names, ceremonies, statues, and the universe.
Zoe Forward
A bit convoluted but having read several of E.A. Budge's books this one is by far the easiest to follow. Highly informative.
Joe
Describes some of the Egyptian rituals. Most of these are violent and used to gain power over their enemies.

-Joe-
Glenda
Could barely get through this one. Wow was it boring!
Monty R Davis
Monty R Davis is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
Adam Schulz
Adam Schulz marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Izabela
Izabela marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Tina Wardkhan
Tina Wardkhan marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Dani (Pen to Paper)
Dani (Pen to Paper) marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Defiance
Defiance marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Amie
Amie marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
John
John added it
Apr 19, 2015
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Hasan
Hasan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
It was good, but.... 5 6 Mar 12, 2013 07:38PM
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic
  • Liber Kaos
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Collection of Ancient Texts
  • The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • The Kabbalah Unveiled
  • Water Spirits (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • Ancient Egyptian Magic
  • How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself
  • Magick in Theory and Practice
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • Pictorial Key to the Tarot
  • Real Magic
Sir Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge was an English Egyptologist, Orientalist, and philologist who worked for the British Museum and published numerous works on the ancient Near East.
More about E.A. Wallis Budge...
The Gods of the Egyptians, Volume 1 The Egyptian Book of the Dead An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, Vol. 1 Egyptian Language: Easy Lessons in Egyptian Hieroglyphics The Babylonian Legends of Creation and the Fight Between Bel and the Dragon