Start by marking “Egyptian Magic” as Want to Read:
Egyptian Magic

Egyptian Magic

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  271 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Culled from ancient sources by the former keeper of the Egyptian collection at the British Museum, this informative volume presents the ancient Egyptians' names, spells, enchantments, amulets, pictures, and ceremonies for healing the sick, raising the dead, knowing the past and the future, destroying one's enemies, more.
Published October 1st 2000 by Citadel (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Egyptian Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Egyptian Magic

Varmint
My old instructors would ramble on as to how irrelevant Budge had become. His translations were iffy, his chronology off. The books no longer taken seriously by academics.

Budge has survived because he is readable. His writing stands after a hundred years. While most of my instructors couldn't go twenty minutes without putting half the class into a coma.
Keitra
Apr 30, 2014 Keitra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witch-studies
I'm sad to say that I have to agree with the others who said this book was boring. I always find when I read that, I enjoy the books. This time, they were so, painfully right.

It felt like Budge was mocking the Egyptians for their beliefs. Also, most of the book was just quoted from the Bible and the Book of the Dead. Pages and pages of quoted material. I could just pick up those books if I wanted those stories. Please, tell me something new.

There was literally only one piece of information tha
Stephen Simpson
Dec 13, 2015 Stephen Simpson rated it liked it
Shelves: own
It's practically mandatory that any review of a book written by Budge has to mention that he was, at best, a questionable scholar, a lot of his theories/writings have been discredited, and so on. That said, he was an accessible writer who wrote on a wide range of subjects regarding Ancient Egypt.

I haven't come across too many books about the Egyptian attitudes and practices regarding magic. This book doesn't go into much detail, but it at least touches on some of the major points. It's a decent
Daniel G.
Aug 15, 2012 Daniel G. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm very impressed. No question Budge's work is dated. Goodness, it was written in 1899; however, he is readable. And, if you've done much reading in the field of Egyptology, you can find he has the occasional surprising insight, the little detail, that he adds to your collective knowledge about ancient Egypt. As to the translation itself, I certainly don't read any of the Egyptian scripts, having done nothing more than toy with them. But I admire him for an admission he makes in the preface to ...more
G.A. Wilson
'Egyptian Magic' was first published in 1895 and the language is very much of that era. In its time, the book was an authoritative work on ancient Egyptian magic and occult practices. It contains interesting information on amulets, scarabs, spells, ghosts and mind control. Tales of magic have also been included, as well as an interpretation of the ancient Egyptian calendar. There are also some good illustrations.

I enjoyed leafing through this book, but mostly from a writer's point of view. I was
Jeannette Jackson
This is an awesome book that I often refer to at times when I am seeking answers in relation to Egyptian beliefs and rituals..I have many aha moments of insight that have been triggered after seeking it's assistance.. As a Master Energy Healer myself it certainly is a welcome friend along my path. I have a deep respect for E A Wallis Budge, great read for those that have parallel interests in this field of study and work, but a not so good read for the mainstream mindsets.
Lizzy
Jan 28, 2016 Lizzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, but I've read from other people into A.E. that this is not an accurate historical account of A.E. I guess that's why it can be found on Amazon for 1.99.
David Leroy
Jul 31, 2013 David Leroy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little book about the concepts behind ancient Egyptian Magic. The book was written in 1901, so long before the advent of the new age movement, or discoveries in quantum physics, so none of that stuff influenced the writer. It was very interesting to read about the religious ideas regarding words, names, ceremonies, statues, and the universe.
Zoe Forward
A bit convoluted but having read several of E.A. Budge's books this one is by far the easiest to follow. Highly informative.
Joe
Jan 15, 2009 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witchcraft
Describes some of the Egyptian rituals. Most of these are violent and used to gain power over their enemies.

-Joe-
Glenda
Could barely get through this one. Wow was it boring!
Davin
Nov 11, 2009 Davin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing shit
France
France marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
William Sipes
William Sipes marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Porsha
Porsha rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Kristine
Kristine rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Ticehuac Acuauhtli
Ticehuac Acuauhtli is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2016
Mohamed Ebrahim
Mohamed Ebrahim marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
unique gobias
unique gobias marked it as to-read
James
James marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Dsgalvao
Dsgalvao marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Sid Khullar
Sid Khullar marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Kat
Kat added it
Dec 28, 2015
Mel Hodgson
Mel Hodgson marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Sophie
Sophie rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
It was good, but.... 5 6 Mar 12, 2013 07:38PM
  • The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • Liber Kaos
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • The Kabbalah Unveiled
  • The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • The Greek Magical Papyri in Translation, Including the Demotic Spells, Volume 1
  • Real Magic
  • Water Spirits (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Ancient Egyptian Magic
  • Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt
  • The History of Magic
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • The Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz
  • الطب المصري القديم
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • Egyptian Mythology
  • The Mystical Qabalah
Sir Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge was an English Egyptologist, Orientalist, and philologist who worked for the British Museum and published numerous works on the ancient Near East.
More about E.A. Wallis Budge...