Start by marking “Selected Poems and Letters of Emily Dickinson” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems and Letters of Emily Dickinson

Selected Poems and Letters of Emily Dickinson

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  835 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Includes both poems and letters of Dickinson, as well as a contemporary description of the poet in Thomas Wentworth Higginson's account of his correspondence with the poet and his visit to her in Amherst.
Published 1959 by Anchor

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems and Letters of Emily Dickinson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems and Letters of Emily Dickinson

Duffy Pratt
Jun 02, 2013 Duffy Pratt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bees and calvary.

I wanted to like this more than I did. The poems are short and sharp. The language plain -- understandable on the surface at least, by anyone who speaks English and can think. You don't even need access to a dictionary. And on top of that, she isn't squarely on the university list of "to read" poets (or wasn't when I was at university). In these ways, I have always thought she had a place somewhat akin to, say, Dylan Thomas, or maybe Frost.

And yet, mostly these poems left me fee
Zari
Sep 06, 2015 Zari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poem, letter, women
Your riches taught me poverty,
Myself a millionaire
In little wealths, as girls could boast,

Till, broad as Buenos Ayre,
You drifted your dominions
A different Peru,
And I esteemed all poverty
For life's estate, with you.

Of mines, I little know, myself,
But just the names of gems,
The colors of the commonest,
And scarce of diadems
So much that, did I meet the queen
Her glory I should know;
But this must be a different wealth,
To miss it, beggars so.

I'm sure 't is India, all day,
To those who look on you
Withou
Kristina
Feb 13, 2013 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her poems cut with the honesty of a child and the experience of woman beyond her years.
I wish this edition did not correct her grammar. I think grammar, especially in poetry is just as telling and revealing.
Tiffany
Apr 27, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Love the cover on this book--she looks so MEAN. It appears to me she had a sharp little wit that she mercilessly quelled. Possibly this is what the cover artist was thinking of.
Emily
Nov 08, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this collection of Emily Dickinson's poetry and letters. I'm rating 4 stars based on my own enjoyment rather than a critical review of her work. I always like reading poetry, but feel like I'm not getting it...enough. Like it's not sinking in deeply enough. Particularly with Dickinson's work, I always find it beautiful, moving, and provocative, but often can't seem to decipher true meaning, let alone note her stylistic prowess and its connotations.

What I enjoyed most about this collect
Rory
Jun 14, 2012 Rory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The letters, plus Thomas Wentworth Higginson's essay about his friendship with E.D., are a million times more interesting than the poems. Also, anybody who wants to read E.D. should get an edition that doesn't "fix" all the capitalization and dashes like this one does which I only got because I'm broke.

"The career of flowers differs from ours only in inaudibleness."

"When I asked her if she never felt any want of employment, not going off the grounds and rarely seeing a visitor, she answered, 'I
Marilyn
Nov 19, 2010 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dickinson is a poet even when she writes prose. I had a bit of a hard time following some of what she wrote because she is so very sparce, but loved so much of what she said and the way she said it. It was a delifgtful change of pace from other things I've read lately. I was reminded why I love her poetry so much and discovered a poem I really love (perhaps because we are in the season of it) that I had not read before. "The morns are meeker than they were, The nuts are getting brown; The berry' ...more
Kay J
May 12, 2015 Kay J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading the works of Emily Dickinson, I go back periodically and read them.
Andrea
Feb 04, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I need to get back to reading more poetry.
I remember loving some of these poems in my youth so I picked up this volume because I thought the letters would furnish some added insight.
Not to be; many of the letters are just as cryptic and enigmatic as her poems.
So, back to the poems. I've spent some time savouring the ones that are like drops of mind-expanding drugs, and labouring over others that remain impenetrable (at least by my modest brain), and finally, rejecting those that touch too closel
Allyson
Aug 04, 2014 Allyson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
review to come
Tanya
Apr 16, 2011 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-drama
Although clearly very skilled work, it's not entirely my thing. At least, not in a collection like this. It's very ruminative, focusing on issues like death, heaven, immortality, nature, wonder etc. I can see myself loving reading one Dickinson poem, but so many different examinations of the same abstract ideas was a little too much for me. I guess I prefer a little earthiness mixed in. I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, to quote Billy Joel.
Stevie Edwards
Sep 29, 2013 Stevie Edwards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's full of Emily Dickinson's poems, so of course it's good. My main complaints are that it doesn't include the original versions of the poems (with Dickinson's dashes and irregular capitalization) and that it includes many of her less known and less developed short little poems while leaving out some of the more critically examined ones, for example "My Life had stood – a Loaded Gun."
Linda
Feb 23, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knowing how much I love Emily Dickinson's poems, a good friend gave this to my for my birthday this year. What a joy to reconnect with Ms. Dickinson! The book is now on my bedside table, and I read one or two of these gems before turning out the light. I wish I could have met this shy recluse with her wry way of looking at things.
Jean Marie Angelo
Feb 16, 2013 Jean Marie Angelo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
She was an agoraphobic who lived much of life in a single room in a house in Amherst. Yet, she had vision of life that was wide and wise. She was wordly. Her poems still speak to us. I read this collection after a director suggested that I play Emily in the play, The Belle of Amherst. Just brilliant.
Noel M.
Jan 03, 2009 Noel M. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've attempted to read Dickinson multiple times but it's always painful. I continually think of teenage whining angst while reading and basically don't want to hear it. Yeah, yeah, life is terrible and you want to die, we've heard it before. Dickinson was so introverted she made her own life a hell.
Tessa
Aug 24, 2016 Tessa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I love Emily, but the editor of this collection seriously pissed me off by reformatting her poems to exclude her signature em dashes and capitalization. He also left off lines from several of the poems. NOT representative of her work AT ALL.
Fed
Jan 02, 2013 Fed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good selection of poems. Her choice of adjectives is impressive and even though her words are of the past, they are very alive today. Example: "I never hear the word escape".

And, as far as escapes go, I agree with her in her that "there is no frigate like a book".

Victoria
GREAT introduction to Dickinson. :)
Colin
Nov 11, 2008 Colin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The poems are brilliant, but this idiot editor went a little nuts by eliminating the dashes and capitalization. DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK. BUY ALMOST ANY OTHER DICKINSON COLLECTION.
Sandra
Feb 08, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have ALWAYS Loved Emily Dickinson - ever since I "met" her in high school. her works have spoken volumes to me over the years!
Oct 14, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
The older I get, the better I like Emily Dickenson. I seriously disliked her poetry when I was first introduced to it.
Anna
Apr 06, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, own
If I ever get the chance to buy this, I will. Every poem was worth reading, and they were so soothing to read.
Michele A.
I love her poetry. There are many levels of meaning a person can find in them.
Bhibsen
Jan 16, 2013 Bhibsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not much to say. Come on, it's Emily Dickinson! Knew it was great before I read it!
Dave Mankin
Mar 10, 2007 Dave Mankin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i don't always understand her poems to be quite honest, but i love the ones that i do.
Katarina
Sep 22, 2008 Katarina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
how wide can a man be, when he commits to one thing on one place
Kenneth
Aug 12, 2012 Kenneth rated it it was amazing
Forget the selected works, you need the complete works!!!
Renee Martin
I enjoyed her letters more than her poems.
Miriam
Nov 26, 2012 Miriam rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite poets, lyrical and poignant.
Matija
Jul 28, 2008 Matija marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, own
Some great, some good, some meh.
  • Immortal Poems of the English Language
  • Selected Poems
  • Edna St. Vincent Millay: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems
  • The Brontës: A Life in Letters
  •  Palm Sunday/Welcome to the Monkeyhouse
  • Fêtes galantes / Romances sans paroles / Poèmes saturniens
  • The Poems of Doctor Zhivago
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • The Top 500 Poems
  • The Spirit Level
  • Collected Poems, 1937-1971
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca
More about Emily Dickinson...