Start by marking “Selected Poems and Letters of Emily Dickinson” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems and Letters of Emily Dickinson

Selected Poems and Letters of Emily Dickinson

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  790 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Includes both poems and letters of Dickinson, as well as a contemporary description of the poet in Thomas Wentworth Higginson's account of his correspondence with the poet and his visit to her in Amherst.
Published 1959 by Anchor

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems and Letters of Emily Dickinson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems and Letters of Emily Dickinson

Duffy Pratt
Bees and calvary.

I wanted to like this more than I did. The poems are short and sharp. The language plain -- understandable on the surface at least, by anyone who speaks English and can think. You don't even need access to a dictionary. And on top of that, she isn't squarely on the university list of "to read" poets (or wasn't when I was at university). In these ways, I have always thought she had a place somewhat akin to, say, Dylan Thomas, or maybe Frost.

And yet, mostly these poems left me fee
Your riches taught me poverty,
Myself a millionaire
In little wealths, as girls could boast,

Till, broad as Buenos Ayre,
You drifted your dominions
A different Peru,
And I esteemed all poverty
For life's estate, with you.

Of mines, I little know, myself,
But just the names of gems,
The colors of the commonest,
And scarce of diadems
So much that, did I meet the queen
Her glory I should know;
But this must be a different wealth,
To miss it, beggars so.

I'm sure 't is India, all day,
To those who look on you
Her poems cut with the honesty of a child and the experience of woman beyond her years.
I wish this edition did not correct her grammar. I think grammar, especially in poetry is just as telling and revealing.
Love the cover on this book--she looks so MEAN. It appears to me she had a sharp little wit that she mercilessly quelled. Possibly this is what the cover artist was thinking of.
I enjoyed this collection of Emily Dickinson's poetry and letters. I'm rating 4 stars based on my own enjoyment rather than a critical review of her work. I always like reading poetry, but feel like I'm not getting it...enough. Like it's not sinking in deeply enough. Particularly with Dickinson's work, I always find it beautiful, moving, and provocative, but often can't seem to decipher true meaning, let alone note her stylistic prowess and its connotations.

What I enjoyed most about this collect
The letters, plus Thomas Wentworth Higginson's essay about his friendship with E.D., are a million times more interesting than the poems. Also, anybody who wants to read E.D. should get an edition that doesn't "fix" all the capitalization and dashes like this one does which I only got because I'm broke.

"The career of flowers differs from ours only in inaudibleness."

"When I asked her if she never felt any want of employment, not going off the grounds and rarely seeing a visitor, she answered, 'I
Dickinson is a poet even when she writes prose. I had a bit of a hard time following some of what she wrote because she is so very sparce, but loved so much of what she said and the way she said it. It was a delifgtful change of pace from other things I've read lately. I was reminded why I love her poetry so much and discovered a poem I really love (perhaps because we are in the season of it) that I had not read before. "The morns are meeker than they were, The nuts are getting brown; The berry' ...more
Kay J
I loved reading the works of Emily Dickinson, I go back periodically and read them.
I need to get back to reading more poetry.
I remember loving some of these poems in my youth so I picked up this volume because I thought the letters would furnish some added insight.
Not to be; many of the letters are just as cryptic and enigmatic as her poems.
So, back to the poems. I've spent some time savouring the ones that are like drops of mind-expanding drugs, and labouring over others that remain impenetrable (at least by my modest brain), and finally, rejecting those that touch too closel
Although clearly very skilled work, it's not entirely my thing. At least, not in a collection like this. It's very ruminative, focusing on issues like death, heaven, immortality, nature, wonder etc. I can see myself loving reading one Dickinson poem, but so many different examinations of the same abstract ideas was a little too much for me. I guess I prefer a little earthiness mixed in. I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, to quote Billy Joel.
Stevie Edwards
Well, it's full of Emily Dickinson's poems, so of course it's good. My main complaints are that it doesn't include the original versions of the poems (with Dickinson's dashes and irregular capitalization) and that it includes many of her less known and less developed short little poems while leaving out some of the more critically examined ones, for example "My Life had stood – a Loaded Gun."
Knowing how much I love Emily Dickinson's poems, a good friend gave this to my for my birthday this year. What a joy to reconnect with Ms. Dickinson! The book is now on my bedside table, and I read one or two of these gems before turning out the light. I wish I could have met this shy recluse with her wry way of looking at things.
Jean Marie Angelo
She was an agoraphobic who lived much of life in a single room in a house in Amherst. Yet, she had vision of life that was wide and wise. She was wordly. Her poems still speak to us. I read this collection after a director suggested that I play Emily in the play, The Belle of Amherst. Just brilliant.
Noel M.
I've attempted to read Dickinson multiple times but it's always painful. I continually think of teenage whining angst while reading and basically don't want to hear it. Yeah, yeah, life is terrible and you want to die, we've heard it before. Dickinson was so introverted she made her own life a hell.
Good selection of poems. Her choice of adjectives is impressive and even though her words are of the past, they are very alive today. Example: "I never hear the word escape".

And, as far as escapes go, I agree with her in her that "there is no frigate like a book".

The poems are brilliant, but this idiot editor went a little nuts by eliminating the dashes and capitalization. DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK. BUY ALMOST ANY OTHER DICKINSON COLLECTION.
I have ALWAYS Loved Emily Dickinson - ever since I "met" her in high school. her works have spoken volumes to me over the years!
The older I get, the better I like Emily Dickenson. I seriously disliked her poetry when I was first introduced to it.
If I ever get the chance to buy this, I will. Every poem was worth reading, and they were so soothing to read.
Michele A.
I love her poetry. There are many levels of meaning a person can find in them.
Not much to say. Come on, it's Emily Dickinson! Knew it was great before I read it!
Dave Mankin
i don't always understand her poems to be quite honest, but i love the ones that i do.
how wide can a man be, when he commits to one thing on one place
Forget the selected works, you need the complete works!!!
Renee Martin
I enjoyed her letters more than her poems.
One of my favourite poets, lyrical and poignant.
Jul 28, 2008 Matija marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, own
Some great, some good, some meh.
She's such an amazing poet
  • Immortal Poems of the English Language
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • Edna St. Vincent Millay: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • A Defence of Poetry
  • Selected Poems and Two Plays
  • Ariel's Gift: Ted Hughes, Sylvia Plath, and the Story of Birthday Letters
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. E: The Victorian Age
  • Selected Poems
  • Meadowlands
  • Owls and Other Fantasies: Poems and Essays
  • The Poems of Doctor Zhivago
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • The Top 500 Poems
  • Letters of Ted Hughes
  • Collected Poems, 1937-1971
  •  Palm Sunday/Welcome to the Monkeyhouse
  • Ultramarine: Poems
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca
More about Emily Dickinson...