Start by marking “The Crimson Legion (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Crimson Legion (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #2)

The Crimson Legion (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad #2)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  855 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
With a militia of nobles, templars, and slaves, Rikus, the man-dwarf gladiator who sparked the rebellion that plunged the Free City into chaos, must save the city from the armies of Urik, sorcerer-king. Original.
Mass Market, 341 pages
Published April 1st 1992 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Crimson Legion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crimson Legion

[Name Redacted]
It took me less than a week to finish the first book in the series, reading only in my very limited free time while preparing for my qualifying exams and writing my dissertation proposal. This book, the second in the series, has taken over seven times that and I am still not finished with it. That should tell you all you need to know right there, but I'll expand on it a bit.

This book benefits from the general absence of the paper-thin character Sadira (who reads less like an actual literary char
Jesse
Dec 18, 2008 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The second instalment of the Prism Pentad. Again, I really liked these books when I was younger. The world is very harsh and cool. This book has the characters from the first book split up and doing their own adventures. I think the best and worst part of this book is when Rikus tells everyone that he has an amazing tactical plan for his slave army, which we find out is "ATTACK!!!" HAHAHAHa
Paul Darcy
Jan 09, 2012 Paul Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
by Troy Denning, published in 1992.

The world of Dark Sun, a TSR Dungeons and Dragons world, is a very magical and dangerous place. It’s fun to visit once in a while in fiction and immerse yourself in and Troy Denning does a good job of just that.

The book, The Crimson Legion, is the second novel in the 5 part “Prism Pentad” series set in the world of Dark Sun.

Troy Denning does a pretty good job in this novel of getting you inside of the protagonist’s head - only problem is there is not really too
Victoria Hrenda
Feb 04, 2011 Victoria Hrenda rated it liked it
I liked this second installment better than the first book. There is actually a bit of character development, though there is entirely too much endless fighting for my own personal taste.

I must say, I like thri-kreens much more after reading this!

Also, I'm happy that Sadira is barely in it.
David
Averages out to two stars for me. On the one hand, great flavour and lore, on the other, rather unrealistic action.

I didn't really like any of the characters in the first book. In this one, they are either more of the same or worse. Rikus was definitely worse. I don't see how he can inspire confidence and leadership when he all does is improvise and turning out lucky. He's overconfident, arrogant, and completely tactless. But at least there was a point I guess, right at the end you'll see why.

Wh
Luc
Oct 21, 2012 Luc rated it liked it
Shelves: d-d, dark-sun
Timothy McNeil
Twenty one years after having read it the first time, Troy Denning's The Crimson Legion was not exactly as I remembered it. Two of the major characters disappear in short order (check) but are effectively unaddressed for the rest of the book (not what I remembered). For some reason, in the intervening years, I confused Bors and Rajaat, which made the question of "what happened to Bors?" seem less important. What did remain consistent is that Rikus does not make for a compelling protagonist whe ...more
Jared
Sep 19, 2011 Jared rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Well this was a challenge to get through. It seems like there was at least two book's worth of plot in The Verdant Passage, but this book stretched a few chapters of material into 341 pages. There were some interesting moments scattered throughout, though the moments of critical plot development were overwhelmed by seemingly endless combat scenes. Entirely too much fighting with very little payoff at the end. The resolution was rushed and disjointed from the earlier thrust of the story, so while ...more
David Schwarm
Jul 06, 2010 David Schwarm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-sun
Book Two of the Desert Sun Prism Pentad is one big kick out the jams battle. The only character that develops at all is the Mul, who learns more about what it takes to be a leader and the nature of real power.

The undead stuff is awesome. The additional history and color of the world of Athas is amazing.

This book gets a lot of bad press for just being one long fight scene, but I thought it read well and was a lot of fun.
Mark
Oct 23, 2010 Mark rated it did not like it
The Crimson Legion reads like a 343 page fight scene. Or a transcript of a middle school d&d session. The acknowledgements at the end of the book tell you everything you need to know - the author gives props to "Lloyd Holden of the AFK Martial Arts Academy in Janesvill, WI, for contributing his experience to the fight scenes;". Do you get what I am saying here? Don't read the book!
Slobodan
Jan 26, 2014 Slobodan rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
After the assassination of King Kalak and Tithians declaration of freedom for all slaves in the city of Tyr - The Crimson Legion continues the story as Rikus the gladiator and now General of Tyr's forces, heads out to meet the invading army of the city Urik, ruled by the Lion King Hamanu. The Crimson Legion's main protagonist is Rikus, followed closely by his lover and partner from the arena, Neeva. While Agis and Sadira make a brief appearance, they quickly return to Tyr to keep an eye on Tythi ...more
David Sarkies
May 05, 2014 David Sarkies rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fantasy and Darksun Fans
Recommended to David by: Stewarddungeon master at the time
Shelves: fantasy
The story of the counter-revolution
6 February 2012

Well this book sort of begins where the last book finished off, but then this is a five book series so I am not surprised that this is the case. The funny thing about a lot of these series is that once again they are trying to be like Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings was originally one book but it was so big that the publishers decided to divide it into three. As such we have three books, but the three together provide the story arc. Sometim
Percy Procrastinator
I am having a tough time giving a rating to this book but not talking about this book.

I should say that I think this book was intended to give more history and flesh out the Dark Sun DND campaign setting. The first boxed set had very little detail and this book, and the previous one, really give a lot of good details, both in daily lives and in the history. However, it's not all good.

I am not sympathetic toward Rikus at all. I don't like the decisions he made or the reasons for them. Neeva or ev
Yaro
Sep 24, 2012 Yaro rated it it was ok
Сумнівні відчуття.
Ніби не таке вже й паплюжне фентезі, але й вражень особливих не залишило.
Негативні зауваження:
* В баталіях, та й взагалі по ходу розвитку подій, описаних в книзі, завжди присутні маги (темплари, маги "Шляху", маги, що володіють "Драконячими чарами"), які наносять смертоносні удари по суперниках (там всякі закляття льодяні бурульки, смертельний дим і т.п.). Але жодного натяку на магів, які вміють захищати оточуючих, побратимів, чи навіть ціле військо від подібних атак (лише окр
Kyle K
Aug 13, 2015 Kyle K rated it it was amazing
With King Kalak dead the King of Urik, Hamanu seeks conquest of the free city of Tyr and its Iron Mines. The free peoples army is lead by one of its liberators, Rikus the Gladiator.
Rikus' defense of Tyr gets sidetracked by a ancient plan to eliminate the dwarven race.
Djinniman
An unlikeable hero

Rikus is the least interesting of the characters from the first book, yet he gets the spotlight here. Extremely slow for a great portion of the length, and with a hasty, unfulfilling ending.
Pete
Aug 09, 2012 Pete rated it did not like it
I think if you're twelve these books might be awesome. Lots of action, no characterization to speak of, cool stuff happening just because it's cool and not because there's any particular reason for it.

Also you may like it better if you've never played a D&D Dark Sun game, because this is absolutely nothing like the Dark Sun from there.

The writing is clunky and ham-fisted, the plot really doesn't make any sense, twists come out of absolutely nowhere, and all in all it's just unsatisfying. Ees
Timothy Boyd
Jan 26, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it liked it
Another book based on D&D. This time it's set in another world, one that is slowly dying. Recommended.
Clint Blome
The sequel to a horrible first novel, we at last begin to see some if the world's lore. Worth the read for the dwarven story. Certainly no fine piece of literature.
Alexander Faria
Nov 17, 2014 Alexander Faria rated it it was ok
Sentimientos encontrados... Algunas partes fueron interesantes, otras no tanto. El final extraño.. como halado de los cabellos para que todos quedaran bien.. La historia en algunos momentos da unos brincos que parece como que te hubieses saltado varios capítulos..

Voy a dejar la serie por un rato y ver otra cosa leo..
Peter Greenwell
Jan 09, 2016 Peter Greenwell rated it it was ok
What a hard slog this was. It's all over the place, it's muddled and biggest offence of all - it's boring. Who wants their fantasy stories boring? Especially one set in an engaging world such as Dark Sun? Nowhere near the fun excursion the first in the series was.
Jevhad
Jan 26, 2011 Jevhad rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The full 5 books are great but while the first is a bit naive and only sets the stage, in this book you start to understand the complex political and religious background of the Athas scenario, it is a great book and Troy Denning is a great fantasy author.
Kevin
Dec 20, 2015 Kevin rated it liked it
Shelves: darksun
As with other Dark Sun novels, I love the tweeks to typical D&D standards in this rich new world.

A little anti-climactic for a single book. But maybe more in terms of the five books. With that said, onto The Amber Enchantress!
Skip
Apr 10, 2009 Skip rated it really liked it
Rikus is an awesome warrior \ gladiator but a real wanker when it comes to women. Neeva on the otherhand is arguably the best written female gladiator ever put to ink.
Ryan Jackson
Not as good as the first, but has some awesome fight scenes.
Alex
Jan 31, 2010 Alex rated it liked it
Re-read!
JCDR
JCDR rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
M Sz
M Sz added it
Feb 03, 2016
  • The Broken Blade (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #3)
  • The Brazen Gambit (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #1)
  • The Darkness Before the Dawn (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #2)
  • Knight of the Black Rose (Ravenloft, #2)
  • Beyond the Moons (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #1)
  • Heart of Midnight (Ravenloft, #4)
  • Vampire of the Mists (Ravenloft, #1)
  • Into the Void (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #2)
  • City of Hawks (Greyhawk: Gord the Rogue, #3)
  • Shadowborn (Ravenloft, #18)
  • City Under the Sand (Dark Sun, #1)
  • The Demon Hand (Greyhawk Adventures, #5)
  • Black Wizards (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #2)
  • The Maelstrom's Eye (Spelljammer: The Cloakmaster Cycle, #3)
  • Lord of the Necropolis (Ravenloft, #17)
  • Realms of Shadow (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #8)
  • Tapestry of Dark Souls (Ravenloft, #5)

Dark Sun: Prism Pentad (5 books)
  • The Verdant Passage (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #1)
  • The Amber Enchantress (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #3)
  • The Obsidian Oracle (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad #4)
  • The Cerulean Storm (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #5)