Start by marking “Dark is the Sun” as Want to Read:

Dark is the Sun

Fifteen billion years from now, Earth is a dying planet, its skies darkened by the ashes of burned-out galaxies, its molten core long cooled. The sunless planet is nearing the day of final gravitational collapse in the surrounding galaxy. Mutations and evolution have led to a great disparity of life-forms, while civilization has resorted to the primitive.

Young Deyv of the
Mass Market Paperback, 405 pages
Published February 12th 1981 by Del Rey (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Dark is the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark is the Sun

Dan Schwent
May 05, 2015 Dan Schwent rated it liked it
Shelves: farmer
Billions of years into the future, the universe is in the process of collapsing. Deyv, a member of a primitive tribe, ventures into the wilderness to find a wife. On the way, his soul egg, an object all people wear around their necks that is believed to house their souls, is stolen. He meets up with a girl who's egg was also stolen and a centaur-like plant man and they go on a quest to find the witch who ordered the thefts, only to be sent on a quest of their own upon finding her.

Nandakishore Varma
Dec 20, 2015 Nandakishore Varma rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for Philip Jose Farmer. I have heard that his novel To Your Scattered Bodies Go is an all-time classic; so I was expecting something of avant-garde nature when I started this book.

Maybe my expectations were too high. This is fantasy masquerading as Science Fiction. IMO, there is nothing wrong in that, provided the story is enjoyable - I have never felt that to be good, a book has to be highbrow. My problem with the tome in question was that what started out as good fun became bo
Molly
Nov 30, 2008 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Dark is the Sun is set so far in the future the universe is starting to collapse in on itself. There is only a rudimentary human civilization left, a handful of hunter/gatherer tribes who are scattered across the land. Other animals have either evolved or been helped to sentience, such as dolphins, plants, and others, and they, like humans, sparsely populate the earth in tribal units.

This is the story of one human male, Deyv, his captured wife from another tribe, Vana, their dog and panther, and
Marcus Gipps
Aug 28, 2010 Marcus Gipps rated it liked it
I picked this up from the tables of second-hand books underneath the bridge outside the National Theatre on the South Bank - I'd been queuing for theatre tickets, and had blasted through the final chapters of the Wooding book, so thought I'd pick something up to keep me entertained for a bit longer. I've never read any Farmer before, but a friend had recommended him recently, and I didn't want to buy something that was an orphaned part of a series, so at two quid this seemed like a good buy. Plu ...more
Mark Jacobs
Mar 08, 2011 Mark Jacobs rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time. Cool cover. I remember reading this in my dad's library when I was a lad and then searching it out when I was older. The ultimate road trip much like my owne novel "The Yaakmen of Tyrie."
Taksya
Jun 20, 2015 Taksya rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Un viaggio lungo anni e chilometri, in lungo e in largo per un mondo morente. Rappresentanti della razza umana e di altre razze aliene (o create geneticamente nel corso di millenni da varie ondate di umani ultra civilizzati, ripiombate poi nel caos) vagano in cerca di vari artefatti a loro sottratti, per diventare poi una armata Brancaleone in cerca di una via per sfuggire alla catastrofe annunciata.
La narrazione è altalenante, lunghe descrizioni di attività, tradizioni, teorie scientifiche orma
Dale
Jan 06, 2011 Dale rated it liked it
Maria Beltrami
A cavallo tra fantascienza e fantasy, un viaggio attraverso una terra futura, esuberante ma morente, un viaggio che è anche un rito di passaggio tra l'adolescenza, con le sue convinzioni e i suoi granchi mentali, dove però il cielo è sempre luminoso e i cambiamenti sono spaventosi, e la maturità che porta il tramonto e la saggezza, e un mondo nuovo in cui crescere.
Campbell Mcaulay
Nov 06, 2012 Campbell Mcaulay rated it it was ok
Millions of years in the future and the universe is close to death. Deyv, of The Turtle Tribe, sets out to find a mate but instead discovers the fate of his world and everything he knows.

Hmmm. I remember picking this up many years ago after having been blown away by Farmer's Riverworld series. I don't remember whether I liked it or not, but many years later I was reminded of it for some reason and bought it to read again. It is a bit of a disappointment I must say. The writing is dispassionate,
Darth
Sep 10, 2007 Darth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great sci-fi fantasy piece by a guy who must have done a LOT of drugs... It seems to have worked for him though... This one specifically I first read in jr high, and recently hunted it down again to reread.

It is set in the FAR future, and is working under the prenise that the universe is collapsing back in on itself. Society on Earth is in one of the tribal cycles. A small group of adventurers, who hadnt intended to at first, set off on a quest to try and save humanity (and a few othe
Elar
Jul 20, 2016 Elar rated it really liked it
Adventure story set in strange future earth with multiple intelligent races. Best part about author's works is the universe building, just sit back and enjoy.
Voss
Dec 16, 2014 Voss rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carino. Belle descrizioni, ma il tutto è troppo improbabile e ridicolo.
Peccato.
Magari se lo si considera come un divertissement ...
Janne Järvinen
Aug 29, 2013 Janne Järvinen rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
An interesting and different fantasy/scifi mas-up world. The story gives us a grand tour.

I wasn't that into it in the beginning, but it kept reeling me in as the action started to unfold. About the third quarter was the strongest section. I was ready to give it four stars, but my overall impression in the end was just shy of that.

The narrative voice was somehow really strong. It gave a definite and banal viewpoint which made the strangeness of world easy to absorb. There was a superb ease in the
Ant
Aug 18, 2015 Ant rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
AS always with Farmer there is much to discuss and mull over after the reading, however, I felt there was less than I had hoped for in this novel.
Steve
Jun 02, 2015 Steve rated it it was ok
Can someone recommend a good Philip Jose Farmer book to read? This was my first and kind of a dud.
John McLeod
Sep 14, 2013 John McLeod rated it really liked it
My third reading, and, thirty-four years after my first reading I can't be anything like objective about this book! Reading this in middle-age it seems more of a compilation of several stories written over several years rather than the single novel it did on my first and second readings. PJF, though, has been a huge influence on me as a reader and, even if this is no longer the genre defining novel it once seemed to me, it's still a book I would recommend to anyone (most especially a young anyon ...more
db
Apr 07, 2015 db rated it it was ok
Not in the mood for another man story"
Scott Rachui
Apr 21, 2011 Scott Rachui rated it it was amazing
This is my story about a world hundreds or thousands of years after the collapse of civilization. It has a plethora of strange creatures and settings, very likeable characters, an engaging story of discovery and adventure, and some overall excellent storytelling. It's not often that one sits down with a book and doesn't want to put it down. But this is just that sort of a story. Imagine the roleplaying game "Gamma World" written as a novel and you've got an idea of what's in store.
Travis
May 25, 2008 Travis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-farmerverse
In high school I went through a phase of tracking down lots of adventure novels set after some great disaster has hit the earth. ( must have been all those THundarr the barbarian cartoons I watched)
This is one of the best. The book that got me hooked on Philip Jose Farmer.
a warrior, a hot chick, a weird centaur like creature and assorted animal sidekicks are thrown together on a quest across a devastated earth.

Lots of weird creatures, cool adventure and weird sci-fi ideas.
Jen
Oct 29, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
This was a very strange book that I feel kind of embarrassed to have read, mostly because of the cover. I really enjoyed the author's descriptions of all the bizarre inhabitants of his world. The interactions between the characters (stupid primitive humans and highly intelligent plant-thing-person) were hilarious at times. A weird, fun book.
Andy Gavin
Oct 29, 2011 Andy Gavin rated it it was amazing
Classic Farmer action at its best. The man has quiet a crazy imagination. This book is so ambitious in its scope (billions of years in the future), yet so immediate in its action. 100 page fight scene too, awesome.
Tommy Viall
Oct 01, 2012 Tommy Viall rated it really liked it
I love PJF... He never lets you down... Through all the adversity and travels and weird creatures....there is always hope...This is just as his other classics... a great read and a wonderful escape....
Dominika Kaníková
Aug 12, 2014 Dominika Kaníková rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, good-books, 2014
This book has definitely original world with original caracters. It always makes me laugh when i recall the Soul egg. "DDD What an interesting thing to have .D
Patrick
Jan 31, 2011 Patrick rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this 20 years ago. I remember the character's names: Yawtl, Deyv and the plant creature. I also remember the devices they traveled in.
Andreas
Feb 10, 2013 Andreas rated it did not like it
I liked it, when I was young. When I read it again I felt disappointed.
Bradley
Jan 27, 2012 Bradley rated it liked it
Not too bad for a sci-fi book. Definitely better fare than most romances. =)
Ben
May 14, 2011 Ben rated it really liked it
At thoroughly unique sci-fi adventure.
Jeremy Keenan

Grade B-.
Santa ? 2 13 Aug 08, 2009 07:31PM
  • The Void Captain's Tale
  • The Divide
  • Arc of the Dream (Radix, #3)
  • Eternal Light (Four Hundred Billion Stars, #3)
  • Infinite Dreams
  • West of Eden (West of Eden, #1)
  • Virtual Immortality
  • Time Slave
  • The Reefs of Space
  • Mainline
  • Year's Best SF 10
  • Return to Rocheworld (Rocheworld, #2)
  • Les Portes d'Occident (Wang, #1)
Philip José Farmer was an American author, principally known for his science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories. He was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, but spent much of his life in Peoria, Illinois.

Farmer is best known for his Riverworld series and the earlier World of Tiers series. He is noted for his use of sexual and religious themes in his work, his fascination for and reworking of th
More about Philip José Farmer...