Start by marking “Pockets” as Want to Read:
Pockets

Pockets

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A stranger arrives at a remote village and becomes the tailor, sewing magical embroidered scenes into the pockets of their plain clothes, which transforms their humdrum lives forever.
Published October 13th 1998 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Pockets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pockets

Erin
I didn’t care for the text of this book very much, but thought the illustrations were truly superb. The idea and message behind the story were enjoyable, but the nautical metaphors were heavy-handed and the text was lengthy and dense. A lost seamstress washes up in a lonely, dull village. She agrees to make only plain clothing for the villagers in return for charity, but she can’t suppress her creativity and imagination for long. Her outlet is the pockets she puts in each garment, heavily embroi ...more
Laura Bang
From the opening lines (“A slim schooner of a woman, driven by strong winds and a broken heart, floundered barefoot across the eastern plains until arriving at the edge of a village”), the reader is drawn into a curiously juxtaposed world in which nautical terms are used to describe a prairie setting. It is a juxtaposition that works, thanks to the combination of Armstrong’s lyrical text and GrandPré’s dreamy illustrations. The sea and sewing provide a metaphor for imagination, richly developed ...more
Abby Brithinee
Pockets is the story of a seamstress who finds herself blown up on the fringes of a village, much like a ship blown upon a shore. The people of the village ask her to create drab, sturdy gray clothing for them, and she does for a while, but she has an urge to create beautiful things, and so she begins to embroider wonderous things inside the pockets of her own clothing, and then inside the pockets of the clothing she makes for the villagers. What happens then is purely magical.

There is a lot of
Adelissa
This book had gorgeous illustrations but the plot was a little iffy, it almost felt like they skipped a page and I had to reread it to make sure I didn't miss something. I liked the story but if I as an adult felt like something needed more explaining I hate to think of what a child might be thinking.
Maggie KutsBorg
The story is long and complex, but beautiful - it's packed with vocabulary words that even adults will be challenged by. The illustrations by Mary GrandPré are dynamic and rich. An interesting book for readers who like a lot of color and fantasy.
MissInformation
Jun 12, 2007 MissInformation rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4 and up
A mysterious woman in fancy dress is taken in by a town that insists everything be dull: "the plains around them swallowed color and drowned it." She makes her living by the only thing she knows: mending and sewing clothes. After a time, she turns her own pockets inside out, and lets her fingers fly- embroidering pictures of hidden worlds and imagination that she can enjoy in secret. But she can't stop at just her own pockets....

A special story, enhanced by the glowing illustrative style of Mari
SarahC
More of Jennifer Armstrong's lovely writing. This is writing requiring visualization of the art and settings she creates -- a little bit different and asking a little bit more from young readers. Beautiful ideas, a lot about transformation. Very enjoyable and not less so with the perfect illustrations of Mary GrandPre.
Michelle
I liked the premise of the story, just that there are a lot of words that would need explaining to 3 and 4 year olds so I don't think that it would be the best bedtime story for that age range. Although I do have to say that the interesting pictures and vivid colors would be enough to go on.
John
"A slim schooner of a woman, driven by strong winds and a broken heart...." This book is inspiring as much as it is poetic. It is amazing what you can do with a pocket full of wonder. One person can change a village one pocket at a time. I really connected with this one.
Heather
This book has the most amazing illustrations! It is one of my favorite children's books, although I think it's a bit wordy and that the message is probably over most kids' heads. The story explores finding beauty in unexpected places and joy in simple everyday things.
Dolly
Mar 21, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
Fabulous illustrations and an interesting story made up for a difficult narrative that introduced many words our girls (or even I) had never heard before. It was an engaging and somewhat melancholy story that was brought to life by the vivid pictures.
Marni
An inspirational story about bring a bit of beauty anywhere. Armstrong uses a lot of tough terminology. I found myself skipping a lot of her descriptions so I didn't lose the kids' interest. Beautiful pictures and a great moral.
Joy
I found great delight in reading this book, but actually never read it to Reason. I was enthralled by the lavish illustrations and the concept of the story. A beautiful book to peruse, especially on a gray-feeling day.
Marissa
A seamstress in a new town in forced to make plain clothes. After a while she starts embroidering the inside of pockets to bring a little beauty into her life. Soon the townspeople begin to change.
Meredith
The illustrations alone are reason enough to take a look at this picture book! I think the story is beautiful and certainly one that cheers me up when things in life get me bogged down.
Rainey
Armstrong weaves a beautiful story of everyday magic and inspiration. Coupled with Grand Pre's phenomenal illustrations, this has quickly become one of my favourite picture books!
Cynthia
Beautiful story told primarily through the illustrations, done by Mary GrandPres, the illustrator for the American Harry Potter books.
Melanie
The illustrations give this book a magical feel, while the text reminds us that one person can make a difference.
Shelli
Illustrations were amazing - story was too wordy for a childrens book.
Katja
Gorgeous illustrations. I love Mary GrandPre. :)
Elizabeth
Love the story and the illustrations!
Krystyna
beautiful beautiful book.
Lily
A really cute book.
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
佑行 西島
佑行 西島 marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
19546
Jennifer Armstrong learned to read and write in Switzerland, in a small school for English speaking children on the shores of Lake Zurich. The school library had no librarian and no catalog – just shelves of interesting books. She selected books on her own, read what she could, and made up the rest. It was perfect. As a result, she made her career choice – to become an author – in first grade. Whe ...more
More about Jennifer Armstrong...
Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and The Endurance The Kindling (Fire-us, #1) The Keepers of the Flame (Fire-us, #2) The Kiln (Fire-us, #3) Steal Away