Franklin's Christmas Gift

Franklin's Christmas Gift (Franklin the Turtle)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  28 reviews
All his friends are donating carefully used toys to the toy drive, but Franklin can't bring himself to give away anything in his toy chest. In a touching denouement, he discovers that generosity has rewards that more than compensate for the pain of parting with a beloved possession. Full-color illustrations.
Published November 1st 1998 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Franklin's Christmas Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Franklin's Christmas Gift

Joyzi
Nov 30, 2011 Joyzi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids
Recommended to Joyzi by: netgalley
Shelves: netgalley, own, children-s
I got a copy of this picture book free from netgalley.com. It was actually a book about Christmas and giving gifts. It was a sweet book and the pictures are really polished and cute. Great for kids!
Glenajo
Franklin’s Christmas Gift is the re-release of a classic from the enduring Franklin series by Paulette Bourgeois. At Franklin’s school, Franklin’s teacher, Mr. Owl, tells the students to begin thinking about what they will bring to donate to the classroom toy drive for needy children and the excitement begins. When Franklin goes through his own toys, everything seems too special to give away, but after receiving a gift from his aunt, Franklin realizes that nothing is special enough. After much t...more
Brandy
Every year, Mr Owl's class gives gifts to needy children for Christmas. Franklin loves Christmas and getting presents, but when it comes time to figure out what to give up, he has a hard time. His friends give unselfishly and help Franklin remember twhat Christmas is really about what we give to others - not what we receive.

This is another great Franklin story that I loved sharing with my son. It was a great reminder for him that Christmas should be about the giving instead of the getting. Fran...more
Pam Camel
“In this Franklin Classic Storybook, Franklin can’t decide what to donate to his school’s Christmas toy drive. At first, all of his toys seem too special to give away, then nothing seems special enough. With some inspiration from his Great Aunt Harriet, Franklin finally comes up with the perfect gift.”
This is a great story for kids to learn the value of giving. At first Franklin is excited to give to his classes toy drive, when he gets home and starts going through toys he comes up with reasons...more
Laura Gibbs
This book has a sweet ending-as do many Franklin books. Each year, Franklin’s class did a toy drive for needy families and everyone was always very excited about the toy give! That night, Franklin went to find toys but all he could find that he wanted to give was a broken truck that he was going to try and fix. When he asked his dad to help him, he wasn’t so sure and told Franklin to really think about it. All of a sudden, Franklin got very busy and didn’t have much of a chance to think about w...more
Sue Morris
Franklin loved Christmas. He could name all of Santa’s reindeer. He could ties ribbons into bows and play “Silent Night” on his recorder. Franklin liked to give presents and receive them. But this year he couldn’t decide what to give to the Christmas toy drive.

Each year, Mr. Owl’s class donates new and gently toys for needy families. This year, Franklin cannot decide what to give. The only toy he will part with is his more than gently used truck. Franklin has three more days to donate. The next...more
Habrewer
Franklin’s Christmas Gift by Paulette Bourgeois and Brenda Clark
* I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Franklin’s class is collecting toys for the annual Christmas Toy Drive. He is so excited and he can’t wait to find the perfect toy to donate. As he goes through his toys he remembers why they are all special to him and he can’t decide.

With only one day left to pick the “perfect toy” to donate, he is afraid none of his toys will work. As he sits and thi...more
Dolly
Jan 02, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining and meaningful story in the Franklin the Turtle series by Paulette Bourgeois. I'm not sure why we never really got into this series (after all, we love turtles!) Now our girls are getting a bit old for stories like this, so I'm not sure how many more we'll read.

I found this book available in an ebook version through our local library and I decided that I would read it, even if our girls weren't interested. After I read it, I really thought it had a good message, so I read...more
Sheree

I love Franklin, my boys loved Franklin (back in the day) and this was actually one of the many Franklin books we owned. Hence the reason I couldn't resist re-reading and reviewing this one. These books remain timeless, the moral message is just as relevant today as it was when my children were little.

Every year Mrs Owl's class donate toys to the school's toy drive for needy families. Franklin has struggled to choose a gift because all his toys are "too special to give away." Mrs Owl r...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
This review is for: Franklin's Christmas Gift (Paperback)
Many of you may know already how much I love Franklin and his group of furry friends. But for those that don't, I am here to tell you I am a huge fan of Franklin. The true meaning of Christmas is brought to light in Franklins Christmas Gift...it is better to give than to receive. My husband and I are struggling right now with trying to explain the importance of giving to our children. Our world places our children front and center and our...more
Carol
Franklin is faced with a dilemma. He is supposed to donate a toy to his class toy drive, but all of his toys are too special to give away. He finally finds a broken old truck that might improve a little with a lot of work. Yet Franklin doesn't have time to fix the truck. He is just too busy with all sorts of other Christmas festivities. One day right before Christmas, Mr. Owl says something that gets Franklin thinking in the right direction. Franklin realizes that whatever toy he gives might be...more
Susan
Another adorable story of Franklin the Turtle. My kids love his adventures and this book was no exception. A cute story centered around Christmas time, giving and Franklin’s adventurous spirit and lovable nature. As Franklin struggles with what to donate to the charity drive, he has to decide what is good enough for him to give and what he is willing to part with. Should it be an old toy he no longer wants? or something wonderful to share with another child?
My kids have had similar struggles eac...more
Riani
setiap natal , murid-murid sekolah Franklin selalu menyumbangkan hadiah natal kepada anak-anak yang kurang beruntung.

kali ini Franklin teramat bingung karena setelah ia memerika setiap mainannya, ia merasa bahwa semuanya masih bagus dan sayang bila disumbangkan. setelah beberapa hari lewat Franklin tersadar bahwa hampir semua mainannya tidaklah pantas untuk disumbangkan karena banyak yang telah rusak.

pada akhirnya Franklin memimilih mainan favoritenya, yang dirasanya pantas untuk diberikan kepad...more
Neil Hopfer
Notes: Franklin's Christmas Gift, by Paulette Bourgeois is a book about giving a special something of your to someone else.

Book Review: Franklin has a hard time giving something of his to the toy drive at school. Towards the end, Franklin discovers that generosity has rewards that more than compensate for the pain of parting with a beloved possession. This will help students to realize the importance of giving.

Recommend: I would recommend this book to students in grades 2-3.
Margaret
Read via @NetGalley through ADE. I can remember some Franklin books from my childhood. This book is very special in being a discussion starter even for your younger kiddos in learning part of the meaning of Christmas and giving to others in need. It is exciting for Open Road to be making available this and many other Franklin titles for eBooks.

*Thanks to Open Road for loaning me an electronic copy through NetGalley for review.*

Originally posted: http://wp.me/pYHD5-36N
Bee
Jun 22, 2011 Bee added it
This story uses Christmas to touch on being fair to other people and a lesson about doing things (or giving gifts) that come from the heart and not just because it is old or because you have to. It shows that going through the week Franklin was able to learn a lesson about doing nice things for people and he showed this by sending a thoughtful gift to school.
Jonita
I read this to my 4- and 6-year-old sons prior to Christmas so that we could emphasize the importance of giving rather than receiving. They both enjoyed it, and they enjoyed the cute illustrations (despite the fact that my e-reader is black-and-white, so they couldn't see the colors). An enjoyable book with a clear message.
Lisa
A sweet story about Franklin, and him trying to decide what to give for the Christmas toy drive. At firt all his toys seemed too special to give away, but the more he learns about giving, the more he realizes that he should give something important. A great lesson about giving and receiving.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Jan 26, 2012 Lisa (Bookworm Lisa) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who has a child to read to
This is a wonderful Christmas story. I love how Franklin faces a dilemma. He needs to pick out one of his precious toys to give to another child for Christmas. His class is taking donations for less fortunate children.

Franklin learns a lesson on charity and not being selfish.
Ealthafer
Franklin books do a great job with character development and teaching morals. I would use this book to teach kids about thinking about the less fourtunante. Be careful about reading this to a class though because it deals with Christmas.
Patricia Doiron
As with all Franklin books, this story has the right balance of leading to the moral and just being a good story. Franklin must decide what he will donate to his class's Christmas toy drive but doesn't want to let go of any of his toys.
Tam
My 4-year-old loves he Franklin series. The stories always have a good moral. This time Franklin learns how to give something he loves to someone else.
ReadingWench
A great book about giving at Christmas time. Although we all love our belongings, sometimes it IS better to give than receive.

AR 3.1
Claire
I love the message here for children, which is to think about children who are less fortunate and to be generous and charitable.
Ruth
I love the Franklin books and this one is no exception. Good story about giving at Christmas time.
Olson Family Matters
Cute Christmas story for those who enjoy the Franklin series
Theresa
great story for interest reading closely follows tv show
Jaime
One of my daughters favorite nook books!
Marie
Marie added it
Aug 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Bourgeois graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Occupational therapy from the University of Western Ontario in 1974. She was a psychiatric occupational therapist for three years before deciding to focus on her writing. She studied journalism at Carlton University then worked as a reporter for the Ottawa Citizen and CBC Television. She became a freelance journal...more
More about Paulette Bourgeois...
Franklin Goes to School Franklin Is Bossy Franklin Wants a Pet Franklin In The Dark Franklin's Halloween