Start by marking “To Wish Upon a Roman” as Want to Read:
To Wish Upon a Roman

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

To Wish Upon a Roman

After receiving word of her aunt’s death, Lucy Brady finds herself the owner of a family heirloom she never knew existed. Not only does the ancient locket contain a mysterious crystal, it comes with an even more mysterious warning—never say his name. Ignoring what she presumes to be a superstition, Lucy inadvertently calls forth an ancient Roman general who demands his ...more
Published May 31st 2016 (first published June 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about To Wish Upon a Roman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Wish Upon a Roman

Ember Leigh
Jun 12, 2014 Ember Leigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novella from Breathless Press was a quick, fun, delightful read. A Roman warrior from the 6th century A.D. is tricked by a witch and trapped in an amulet, awaiting for a release that might never come. Enter Lucy Brady of modern times, who deciphers the ancient Gaelic on a family heirloom and inadvertently frees the ancient, burly, hunky warrior.

I won't reveal too many spoilers, but the author packs a good amount of believable backstory into a small amount of space without the result reading
Christine Rains
Jul 11, 2016 Christine Rains rated it really liked it
Antique dealer Lucy Brady receives a mysterious locket left to her in her aunt's will. It comes with the instruction: Never say his name. Of course, that only makes her want to find out more about it! When she does discover the name, she calls forth Hadrian Marias, a Roman general trapped in the locket by a witch, one of Lucy's ancestors. Thinking it a prank, Lucy comes up with a ridiculous condition for Hadrian's freedom: he must bring her sexual pleasure for two weeks. Hadrian is bound by it, ...more
Torie James
Oct 23, 2014 Torie James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: smexilicious
Oh.
My.
Gods.
Not sure what I was expecting when I initially began reading this one but Ms. Torry's ability to weave superstition, reality, fantasy and seduction against a backdrop of disbelief and skepticism is flawless. I admit I love books with this type of plot line, its always amusing to see the reaction of someone who lived so long ago being thrust into our contemporary world of hi tech witchery.

Hadrian is a complex man with a steely soul of honor, determined to break the curse he was damned
Ishabelle Torry
Jun 04, 2016 Ishabelle Torry rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Author's Note:

To Wish Upon a Roman was my first novella to be published. And like many other authors, its release into the world has caused me much happiness, a sense of accomplishment, and yes, even some terror! There's always that little nagging voice of "what if no one likes it?"

Although,I am glad to report To Wish Upon a Roman has been received pretty well! Thanks to you, the reader! Without your support, my dreams would have ended without ever reaching fruition. The encouragement I've rece
Mia Epsilon
Sep 30, 2014 Mia Epsilon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. To be a debut novella, this one ROCKS. I almost wished it had been a bit longer, but I'm not at all certain my heart rate would take it! Jam packed with humor, mystery and amazing sensual tension, this story will keep you up past bedtime to finish every delightful word. I hope we see some of these characters again.
Elle
Sep 14, 2014 Elle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy Brady unwittingly strikes a bargain with Hadrian Marias: a fortnight of pleasure for his freedom from a centuries old curse.

To Wish Upon a Roman is a fun read from Ishabelle Torry. I love time travel stories, either sci-fi or fantasy. Torry creates a quick jaunt through Lucy and Hadrian's fortnight of pleasure and the realization that perhaps everything does happen for a reason.
McKayla Schutt
Jul 16, 2016 McKayla Schutt rated it really liked it
Intriguing

Picked up the story from a book club I'm in. I liked the story line and characters. Interesting read to say the least.
Allie
Jun 04, 2016 Allie rated it it was amazing
If there was ever a week to need a slip into the world of fantasy, it was this one. Ishabelle Torry's To Wish Upon A Roman was the perfect vehicle for that. It's a quick read, but full of complex characters and fun.

I do so love this type of story--someone of prominence from a historical setting thrust into the modern world... Torry does it well. There's enough historical detail to see that she'd done her research, but not so much as to bog you down.

There's plenty of humor, a lot of sexual tensi
Arec Rain
Jul 21, 2016 Arec Rain rated it liked it
Not really my cup of tea for multiple reasons. I am not a fan of time traveling romances nor am I a fan of insta-love especially if the male is sexist Alpha. This novel had all three and, while it was not terrible, it really did not have anything to make me like it. I found the male to be selfish and the female lead to be cliché. In fact, I like the best friend more than I did the lead.
The author has potential. She clearly knows how to write, and write well. As for as stories go, however, I jus
Decadent Kane
Aug 24, 2016 Decadent Kane rated it liked it
The story was amusing. I laughed several times specially when the Roman...not of our time... thought the vacuum a monster eating his body parts...but it was just his nail clippings. The author did a great job of entertaining me as a reader.

Some parts seemed rushed....a little telling. But it was mostly well written.

If you enjoy a little magic, sex, and humor... pick up this book.
Monica
Jul 31, 2016 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I love time travel romance. I also love books with Romans so this was an easy decision to buy. I enjoyed the story but I wish it wasn't a novella but a longer story. I would have enjoyed a slower and more relaxed pace for Lucy and Hadrian's love. Overall, a decent short, read. I hope to see more time travel from Miss Torry.
InD'tale Magazine
2.5/5.0

A Roman general in 21st century dedicated to a woman? Stuff a girl can only dream of.

Read full review in the 2014 October issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Donna Lee
Oct 25, 2014 Donna Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it! What girl wouldn't want a hunky Roman to come through time and do the things Hadrian does to Lucy. LOL.

aimee
Aug 04, 2016 aimee rated it really liked it
Fun read

This was a fun fast read. I liked the concept of this story, it's different. The characters are great, well developed and fun.
Mincat72
Mincat72 rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2016
Angel Brewer
Angel Brewer rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2014
Dawn Brower
Dawn Brower rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Rlh
Rlh rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2015
D.D. Symms
D.D. Symms marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Victoria Miller
Victoria Miller marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Ana
Ana added it
Sep 04, 2014
Bethany Logan
Bethany Logan marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
J.M. Powers
J.M. Powers marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Maryann
Maryann marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016