Start by marking “Captive Bride” as Want to Read:
Captive Bride

Captive Bride

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  6,903 Ratings  ·  255 Reviews

The irresistible call of adventure brings lovely Christina Wakefield to the alluring Arabian desert. But fate imprisons her after she encounters Sheik Abu, the strikingly handsome though arrogant adventurer, whom she had known in England as Philip Caxton.

Once Christina had rejected Philip's fervent offer of marriage. But now she is to be his slave desperate for the freedo

Paperback, Large Print, 322 pages
Published June 1st 1992 by Thorndike Press (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Captive Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captive Bride

Loederkoningin
This checks my boxes like you wouldn't believe!

V A handsome Arabian male
V Arrogant, dominant prick (a sheik even!)
V Abduction
V Humiliation/degradation
V Great age gap
V Dub con/ non con
V Stockholm Syndrome (?)
V Wonderful reviews

Buddy read with Jenna, Angelica and Rebecka, with much appreciated mockery moral support from Mammarella.

7/1/14: post buddy read gone wrong

Well then, all my buddy read partners have bitten the dust, so I'm sure no one objects to me DNF'ing at 65%. It looks like I dragged m
Di
Dec 09, 2008 Di rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Suck, suck, suck, suckity suck, suck suck. That's what this book did all the way through. In the 70's, it appears there was a trend for rape or almost-rape romances, where a male was sexier the more dominant he was. Ugh. If someone tried kidnapping me and telling me I would lust after him and I would obey, I'd be guilty of murder in the 1st degree.
Sadia
Oct 12, 2011 Sadia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People I want brain damaged.
Recommended to Sadia by: The part of my brain that wants me dead
This book sucks beyond belief! And like it's not infuriating enough plot wise, it goes on and on like a delusional maniac, claiming rape is not rape, abduction is not abduction, coercion is not coercion, and it's totally alright to be kidnapped, held against your will, raped, beaten and humiliated by being someone's sex slave because you know what! It actually is a fairy tale and if your abductor happens to be good looking you will forget all your principles, your scruples, the people you loved ...more
~ Lihllith ~
Jun 06, 2010 ~ Lihllith ~ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was awful! The heroin is weak and the hero (?) is a total mental case!

So let me get this straight. She gets kidnapped, forced into becoming a sex slave and is threatened with a beating, yes I said beating, on a daily biases and she is OK with that? WHAT?
He sleeps right there and she does nothing night after night but cry? Huh? She lies there and let him sleep next to her? The first night I would have bashed him upside the head and he would have been forced to kill me! Thus ending the story
Lady Raven RAVE!
I like it its a historical romance and that's how it was back then..I admit he was a little harsh and crass at times but I really did like the ending..

Most historical romance novels were like that and I have read worst with actual rape not nearly raped. if you can't handle this book then you should go for that romance candle light dinner thing like harlequin present books, (not hating on harlequin books I love them). But other than that, I thought the book was good and not bad for Johanna's earl
Nenia *the flagrant liberal* Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I read this book for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2017 Reading Challenge. For more info about what this is, click here.

Real talk: that cover. Normally, I hate the rereleased versions of these old bodice rippers, but this is the first time I actually like the updated version more than the original. The vibrant colors, the detail on the woman's costume, the glimpse of desert beyond - it reminds me of the original cover on Victo
Nazia
Jul 31, 2011 Nazia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dont-try-it-ever
suck suck suck suck!!!!!!!!!! this book sucks throughly. The hero was a maniacal bastard,a pedophile and the heroine was a weak,brainless ninny.God this book is just so awful!!! How did writer conceived such horrible idea in her diabolic mind..??? And how can someone read it and like it??? After completing it I was speechless for 30 minutes i could'nt stop fuming about this bad and ugly book. Let me get this straight,Philip Caxton sets his eyes on Christiana for the first time and he is overwhel ...more
April
Jun 20, 2012 April rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There was a HUGE sale on Johanna Lindsey books not too long ago — a good number of her backlist was made available in the Kindle format — and I took advantage and bought everything of hers on sale because simply ... I love her books.

So I've been gorging on Johanna Lindsey books the last few weeks/months or so, following the order of books listed on her Wikipedia page. I've been chain reading them when I wasn't working or moving from one city to another, when I lay at night unable to sleep and in
Christine
Mar 25, 2010 Christine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, romance
God awful!

The only good thing about this book is that it was an excellent example of what NOT to do when writing romance. Since I'm writing a romance series right now, it helped me to refine my ideas on good technique.

More specifically, this book uses Overwhelming Lust, something that I am growing more and more disgusted with. Physical attraction in romance is necessary but not sufficient. Lust becomes overwhelming when it is shoved down my throat in such a way that I can't even truly believe t
M A
Aug 08, 2011 M A rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I recall reading "Captive Bride" and feeling so disappointed and disturbed with it, I wanted to return it to the bookstore.

I liked "Silver Angel," another "sheikh/harem captive" romance by Lindsey, so I thought I'd enjoy "Captive Bride" as well. Overall tone and style couldn't be more different in the two books. Captive Bride is a basic rape romance without merit. The hero desires the heroine and attempts to court her properly. When she rebuffs him, his solution is to kidnap her and install her
Heather T
Love that she got her characters out of England, but it still has a huge pet peeve of mine. The title should have given it away, but I'm sorry, the following just doesn't work for me:

I must have you.

I'll make you want me. (Proceeds to grope and fondle the girl while she half struggles, half goes Oh my I'm being kissed! What big hands you have, grandma.)

No! Stop! You can't do this. I don't want this.

Yes you do.

...then it varies, but essentially you get to the gist of it... hop on pop or I ch
Tuba Sayed
Jul 10, 2016 Tuba Sayed rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I now know why this has so many negative reviews. But I must say that the writing style is too good, I am almost tempted to buy this author's other works just beacuse of the writing. Ridiculous, I know right.
Where do I even start with the story??? It's so meh, the typicality doesn't even bothers me, there are far more horrendous things, and I didn't know to laugh or to bawl my eyes out.

Warning : Spoilers ahead.
Sensual escapism? My foot. This guy, Philip, is a complete mental case. He physical
Aug 19, 2012 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Johanna Lindsey!! I hate Captive Bride!! I thought the dialogue was silly and contrived, the plot was very simplistic and the few romance scenes were not so much 'romance' scenes as they were 'rape' scenes. With each 'romance' scene I got more and more angry with the story and just wanted to scream at Lindsey "WHY?!! Why did you write this? How could you have written this tripe, but also written wonderful, romantic stories like Gentle Rogue or Tender Rebel?"

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is one of the first Johanna Lindsey books I read. It was magic. It was also my first official sheikh book. Ever since I have had a weakness for sheikh romances. I can't even count how many times I read this book. It's been a while but I remember being absolutely transfixed by the writing and the storytelling. It's very romantic, if you don't mind captive situations and forced seduction. I loved the reunion in England and how that plays out. Definitely one of my all time favorites.
Lelyana
Feb 08, 2011 Lelyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Satu lagi buku Johanna Lindsay yang membuat saya terpana.
Awalnya sangat tidak menyukai karakter hero di cerita ini, namun setelah membaca lebih kedalam permasalahannya..Love this man, Sheik Abu Alhamar aka Phillip Caxton ... [image error]

Inggris...Christina di lamar Tommy sahabat masa kecilnya dan menolak lamaran itu karena merasa masih kecil dan masih ingin ke London untuk bergaul.
Disana bertemu Phillip Caxton yang baru datang dari Mesir untuk berlibur, yang pada saat itu, adik Phillip, Paul be
Regan Walker
Lindsey’s 1st Book: A Classic Bodice Ripper with a British Desert Sheik

I have read many by Lindsey and consider myself a fan. But not all of hers garner 5 stars, and this, her first book, is one that does not. While it is well written and will hold your interest, it is a historical romance without history or historical details. (I only knew it was Victorian because late in the book she gave the date of 1885, which means it begins in 1884.)

Set in England, Egypt and the desert, this is the story o
ChaoticCupcake
While I managed to finish this book, I found myself skimming most of the way through it. I can't say I enjoyed it. I've heard great things about other books by this author but I'm a bit apprehensive to bother with them. I understand this is the first or one of the first novels the Lindsey ever wrote and I understand she has probably improved. However, this story really left a bad taste in my mouth.
First of all, I rewarded it two stars simply because I thought the plot had potential. This potent
Rebecka
Ugh. Worst piece of crap ever put into print and called a book. It's not like you read these books to find literary greatness, but you at least expect to be amused, entertained. You should be sighing in disbelief and shaking your head at the silliness, but you shouldn't want to kill yourself every 5 words.

A complete failure on behalf of Lindsey, who has written some other, much more entertaining books. This is also clearly one of those "stick to what you know" cases (here: stables, manors and m
Gina
Sep 24, 2011 Gina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book and hated off the bat.
The heroine is a typical gorgeous girl who has no physical imperfections. THe author tries to make her be some sort of intelligent sassy tomboy, but instead she comes off as annoying, and idiot, and self centered.
The hero is supposed to tall dark and handsome, but like many other reviewers of this book said, he is a total MENTAL CASE. Seriously, he's so weird. He says he wants an intelligent wife and not some frilly dress wearing London girl, but the sec
Netha
Sep 04, 2008 Netha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ini lagi nih 1 buku selain secret fire yg cowoqnya maen culik anak orang seenaknya.

phillip paxton or whatever his last name (kagak inget hehehehe) saat pertama bertemu christina & langsung melamarnya.
ya jelas aja ditolak christina, yg bener aja baru ketemu juga kok dah langsung main sosor aja. duh sapa elu......

entah jin mana yg merasuki phillip eh tiba2 dia nyulik christina & dibawa ketengah gurun pasir tempat bangsa phillip berada (yah phillip berdarah arab+england). disitu christina d
Nova
Apr 19, 2012 Nova rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-lindsey
Untuk saya buku ini kok datar banget, terutama setengah awal buku.

Agak aneh sama heronya, Philip yang keras banget menolak pernikahan, tapi sekali ngeliat Christina langsung aja pengen memiliki bahkan langsung mengajukan lamaran. Memang sih Christina, Heroinenya, digambarkan stunning bgt, sampe2 setiap laki2 yang ngeliat bawaannya pengen mengajukan lamaran aja walaupun belum pendekatan.

Ketika Christina menolak lamaran si Philip ini, dia tetap bertekad memiliki Christina dengan cara apapun bahkan
Judy
Oct 16, 2009 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carmen
Jan 08, 2017 Carmen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dos estrellas para la primera novela de esta autora, publicada en 1977. Aunque la historia a priori parecía interesante, no me han gustado ni los derroteros de la historia ni los diálogos entre los personajes ni la manera en que la autora soluciona las situaciones. Es verdad que la novela romántica, y esta autora también, ha evolucionado desde entonces, pero he leído novelas escritas en esa época con tramas mucho más interesantes y mucho mejor escritas.

Una pena ya que no me ha servido para disfr
Lauri
This book is very captivating Johanna is a brilliant writer. She pulls you in right from the very start. When I began this book I thought when the time came I would be able to put it down for sleep. I was wrong, once I startted I needed to know how it ended. I read this book all night long and finished it by morning.
Madison
Jan 27, 2012 Madison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sydnee Jane
Apr 03, 2014 Sydnee Jane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bad-romance
Not much can be said about Johanna Lindsey's repeated crimes against humanity. Before 50 Shades became a popular fixture in the romance genre, it seemed that house wives across the nation were fanning themselves with Lindsey's cheap paperbacks. Regardless of her popularity, Lindsey's books leave a foul taste in my mouth.

First, there are the terrible, undeveloped characters. Yes, I know cookie-cutter Alpha males are a fan favorite, and yes, an undeveloped female protagonist can help the reader i
Cecilia London
I should probably expand upon this a little. I took no issue with the storyline; I occasionally enjoy historicals and I understand that sometimes they can be a little....outside my preferences. In other words, things happened back in the day that might not happen now. A lot of reviewers take issue with the dubious consent, the spanking scene, etc., but come on. This book was set in 1884. Take all that with a grain of salt.

So what did me in? This book jumped the shark SO MANY TIMES I actually tho
Cristen
I'm laughing as I write this review. "Captive Bride" was horrible. So horrible, I found it entertaining. The events are wildly unrealistic and illogical. People say and behave in ways that no normal person would. I'm pretty sure the main heroine has Stockholm Syndrome. That's not hot. Why is the author condoning this? Everyone in the story has the IQ of an 7-year old. They question nothing, believe everything that is said to them, and then refuse to believe anything that is common sense. "She to ...more
KatieV
The book was okay and I did keep reading. Lindsey is a good writer, so she does draw you in even if you have issues with the story. I am one of those who enjoy the captive/captor, forced seduction scenario, but I just didn't like the hero in this one. He seemed to have no regard for her and I hate it when heroes think/say things like 'deceitful bitch'. She should have cut his balls off and he had the nerve to think she was a bitch?! What's weird is I LOVED Lindsey's 'So Speaks the Heart' and it ...more
MY PLEA 1 12 Nov 13, 2014 02:07PM
my wish 2 12 Nov 13, 2014 02:04PM
  • Desert Hostage
  • Devil's Daughter (Devil, #2)
  • Enchantress
  • Sheik
  • Valentina
  • Gypsy Lady (Louisiana #1)
  • Gabriel's Bride
  • Sea Fire (Pirates, #2)
  • Enslaved
  • The Prize (deWarenne Dynasty, #4)
  • Lost Love, Last Love (Brandon-Morgan #3)
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • Desert Captive
  • Lie Down In Roses
  • The Enchanted Land
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
More about Johanna Lindsey...