Start by marking “Peace: The Biography of a Symbol” as Want to Read:
Peace: The Biography of a Symbol

Peace: The Biography of a Symbol

As the boomer generation moves onward through the milestones of life, 1960s nostalgia holds tremendous meaning today. And nothing more eloquently symbolizes the counterculture era than the peace sign. How did this simple sketch become so powerful an image? Peace: The Biography of a Symbol tells the surprising story of the sign in words and pictures, from its origins in the ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by National Geographic

To ask other readers questions about Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace

Sesana
Mar 25, 2011 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: history, nonfiction, art
When I was in high school, my church's youth group leader told us that the peace sign was anti-Christian because it symbolizes the broken arms of the cross. At the time I was dubious that was even true, and unconvinced that it would be a horrible thing even if it were. Couldn't it have been an expression of sadness at the state of the world, sort of What Would Jesus Think? It is, of course, nonsense in any event, but nonsense that's been around for a long time.

Really, the book is at least as muc
Lisa Vegan
May 14, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
I knew nothing about the origins and history of the peace symbol. This information is interspersed with some general history facts for between 1958 (the year the peace symbol was created) and 2008 (the current year, 50 years later.) I found it very interesting. It really brought me back to the 1960s and other eras too. It’s a spare little book with a lot of photos and peace symbol art, but it is jam packed with information; it is not really a coffee table type book as I anticipated it might be.
Nicoletta Barrie
Sep 04, 2008 Nicoletta Barrie rated it liked it
PEACE takes us through five decades, and it does so using an exciting colorful and busy design with pictures old and new. Sidebars include Flashbacks that give examples of what was going on globally in a specific year and profiles of Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, Peter Max and John Lennon. In addition to images of peace marches and other historical events are peace symbols in all shapes, sizes and materials on anything from Valentine candy to people’s faces to writing in the sky. The text ties the pea ...more
Rob
I thought the concept behind this book was very interesting, and the documentation was well done, but I didn't care for the design of the book as it was laid out in a way that made reading certain sections difficult. I liked how Kolsbun followed the evolution of the peace sign across the decades, and provided "snapshots" of important people or events during those years. Even though I gave the book a low rating, I would still suggest teens read it if they are interested because it presents a lot ...more
Heidi
May 11, 2008 Heidi rated it liked it
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the creation of the peace symbol. (ND, not broken cross.) Various myths have propagated as to its origins, but this book has the definitive answer, as well as many heretofore little seen photos of the peace sign in counter- and popular culture. This book would also do as a light introduction to the history of the peace movement. It's definitely worth a look if only for the photos, and a quick scan for peace factoids.
Karen
May 14, 2008 Karen is currently reading it
Just glanced through it so far but it looks good. I have so many books going at the moment but plan to read it soon. Last Sunday I went to hear the author talk about his book. It was very fascinating and fun to hear the history of the peace symbol. I hadn't realized that it was 50 years old this year and what the original meaning was. If you have the chance to go to one of his readings, I recommend going.
J
Jun 01, 2008 J rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: pop culture devotee
Shelves: non-fiction
Miana
Dec 19, 2010 Miana rated it it was amazing
This book was really enjoyable read with its bright, colorful pictures and a lot of interesting and new info I didn't know about the peace symbol.
E
Jul 21, 2008 E rated it liked it
Shelves: politics-history
There wasn't much in the narrative that I didn't already know, but graphically it does the era justice and then some. A good primer for an important subject.
Tressa
Nov 22, 2008 Tressa rated it really liked it
Great photos. Lots of interesting history. A quick and easy read.
Rachel
Jun 07, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
I liked it. ⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Angela
A nice, quick look at the history of the peace symbol. There were some fascinating historical anecdotes, but there were occasionally some layout issues that made some pages hard/annoying to read.
Mary
Not what I was expecting at first, but a nice introduction to the anti-nuclear movement and the creation and use of the peace symbol in the 20th century.
Jeff Brailey
Aug 21, 2008 Jeff Brailey rated it liked it
An entertaining and informative read and a good history of the peace symbol.
Yessica
Yessica rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2012
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2015
Jess Thompson
Jess Thompson rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Kristin  Aragon
Kristin Aragon rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2011
Andrew Richmond
Andrew Richmond rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Ashley Barrientos
Ashley Barrientos rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2008
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
Susan Nielsen
Susan Nielsen rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Logann
Logann rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2013
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2009
Gayle
Gayle rated it really liked it
May 05, 2009
Janice
Janice rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Wissal Wssola
Wissal Wssola rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Oct 22, 2011
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2008
Reen
Reen rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2011