Jefferson: Writings (Library of America #17)

Jefferson: Writings (Library of America #17)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  748 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Now fully represented in this Library of America volume is the most comprehensive testimony of the writings of our third president and foremost spokesperson for democracy. Thomas Jefferson, a brilliant political thinker, is perhaps best known for the Declaration of Independence, but he was a man of extraordinarily wide interests.

He was exceptionally controversial in his ow...more
Published August 15th 1984 by Library of America (first published 1984)

John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson
Best American History Books
130th out of 961 books — 1,364 voters
The Constitution of the United States of America by Founding FathersThe Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the U... by Thomas JeffersonThe Federalist Papers by Alexander HamiltonGreen Illusions by Ozzie ZehnerThe Revolution by Ron Paul
Best Books to Become an Informed Voter
124th out of 663 books — 826 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark
We should not be so hasty to charge the historical figures of yesterday by the moral standards of today. Without Jefferson's Declaration of Independence, human society would be so much worse off, in so many ways. To besmirch his memory as is most constantly done with the usual tagline "...but he owned slaves!" is ignorant and only proves that whoever is talking probably has never even read his work.
Just as someone claiming Benjamin Franklin was an "atheist" only proves the same point, when Fran...more
Bap
Thomas Jefferson was quite the rennaisance man. Planter, architect, politician, inventer. He was also a radical, an admirer of the French revolution, believer that each generation must have its own revolution. But, his writing style comes across as flowery, dense, and pedantic. Contrast Franklin, whose writing style seems modern, to the point, funny, salty, and wise. Without question, one would want to hand out with Franklin rather then be lectured by Jefferson.
Book Lover
Watched the John Adams movie and was inspired to pull this book from my library book shelf and dust it off again. I can't think of anyone today being as accomplished so early in life as the men of the revolutionary time. It just amazing that someone could accomplish so much so quick. Also, I didn't realize how much detail was in the Declaration of Independence concerning the transgressions of Great Britain, specifically King George and Parliment.
John McCreery
This should be mandatory reading for Politicians and voters. When he states that his most values accomplishments include "the demolition of the church establishment, and freedom of religion.(p702)" you know you are getting gold from the principal architect of American democracy. No commentary is substitute for this; the man's own writing! Wonderful.
Dan Rundquist
I won't fill this page with my opinions about Jefferson's work. So much has already been written about that and there is little new to contribute. This book is a condensed series of writings by Jefferson. It is by no means anywhere close to the entire volume of his work, but that said it is intended (I think) to provide the reader with the most salient samples of this great statesman's life and work. In that, it excels. (I also have the multi-volume complete works and it will take some time to g...more
Rick Marker
T.J. has long been one of my political heroes. What is so incredible is that not only knew many subjects, languages and sciences, he became well respected for his opinions on many topics of they day. He was a master at knowing human nature and how we react to different laws of man and nature.
Many historians refer to him as a Deist which depends on how one defines Deism. However, Jefferson himself calls himself a Christian and we know he was not an orthodox Christian, but as a scientist in the...more
Joshua Hruzik
This selected collection of Jefferson's writings is fruitful both for academic and private purposes. Covering most of his important correspondence and supplementing additional works such as his autobiography and notes, this would be the first choice for a detailed study of Jefferson's mind.
All this details are printed on thin and acid free paper, protected by a strong hardcover.
The impressive and detailed index of this collection makes a quick issue oriented search for every one's means possible...more
Calla
It is certainly hard to judge the value of the content of Jefferson's writing because regardless of personal opinion, its impact has been so largely felt. It cannot be disregarded because so much of an American's present reality is dictated by things found in these pages. Therefore, I will not argue for or against the philosophies found in this book but rather on the amalgamation of this anthology which I found to be most effective and a good summary of Jefferson's writing and opinion.
Jilali Mahyawi
Raudha will not find the world such as Thomas Jefferson Aaroad that these faces are real-life original, which he lost one of the United Ahram and symbols, even though we did not Naqralkther them but always Out of our wisdom and our analysis give accurate results with ourselves and give the vote
Finally, I say Do you find the nations are like those who are the writers and the spring and Nsmah .......
Joe
This thorough collection of original letters, addresses, and autobiography paints a vivid picture of Thomas Jefferson and the values of liberty, security and democracy he stood for. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to learn more about America's beginnings and a great advocate of the principles we must cherish.
Brian Mumford
Not a book I plan on reading straight through. It's a collection of his writings and correspondence with others. I like to pick it up once in a while and read a letter of his. You can search by topic, so I like to get Jefferson's spin on things from time to time.
Karen
I read a great deal of this book but not all of it. I flipped through it and read the essays I was interested and skipped the others. I love how curious Jefferson was and how much time he spent learning on his own. I think he was a very interesting man.
Art
Jul 18, 2009 Art rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to know Founders!
Recommended to Art by: Prof. Daniel Tucker
Shelves: founding-papers
Mr. Jefferson believed in principles to help guide us on the path of right. However Mr. Jefferson was quite the politian. I have mixed feelings about Mr. Jefferson, whereas, It is good to read his writings.
Thank you, Professor Tucker!
Mark Noce
Great ideas and words of the enigma himself, Thomas Jefferson. He paints himself in all the glory and drawbacks that a full human being is. Interesting read if you want to get into the mindset of early Americans.
Craig J.
Thomas Jefferson : Writings : Autobiography / Notes on the State of Virginia / Public and Private Papers / Addresses / Letters (Library of America) by Thomas Jefferson (1984)
Lyndsey
A short-cut to falling out of love with one of my heroes. Almost impossible to read because of his egotism, sure he was an amazing man but I wouldn't invite him to dinner.
Patrick\
The essential reference shelf book for Jefferson, our brilliant political chameleon. Well done.
Alex Winston
Aug 20, 2008 Alex Winston is currently reading it
1500 page monster featuring tons of Jefferson. I'm about a third of the way through it.
John
nonfiction,history,political science,philosophy,enlightenment
Lydia
"I wonder when I'm going to get past this first query..."
Ani
It reads much better than expected...
Jamie
Come on, what is not to love.
Marfy
Excellent!!
Edina Auditore
Absolute must-read.
Sammy Keyes
Sammy Keyes marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Mamdouh Abdullah
Mamdouh Abdullah marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Gabor
Gabor marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • The Debate on the Constitution : Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles, and Letters During the Struggle over Ratification : Part One, September 1787-February 1788 (Library of America #62)
  • Writings (Library of America #109)
  • Writings (Library of America #91)
  • Lincoln: Speeches and Writings, 1859-1865 (Library of America #46)
  • Paine: Collected Writings: Common Sense/The Crisis/Rights of Man/The Age of Reason/Pamphlets/Articles & Letters (Library of America #76)
  • Grant: Memoirs and Selected Letters (Library of America #50)
  • The Idea of America: Reflections on the Birth of the United States
  • Adams-Jefferson Letters
  • Essays and Lectures
  • Mark Twain: The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It (Library of America #21)
  • Autobiographies
  • A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers/Walden/The Maine Woods/Cape Cod (Library of America #28)
  • Nixon Agonistes: The Crisis of the Self-Made Man
  • Ratification: The People Debate the Constitution, 1787-1788
  • The Civil War of 1812: American Citizens, British Subjects, Irish Rebels, & Indian Allies
  • The Enlightenment: And Why It Still Matters
  • American Dreamers: How the Left Changed a Nation
  • A Leap in the Dark: The Struggle to Create the American Republic
More than a mere renaissance man, Jefferson may actually have been a new kind of man. He was fluent in five languages and able to read two others. He wrote, over the course of his life, over sixteen thousand letters. He was acquainted with nearly every influential person in America, and a great many in Europe as well. He was a lawyer, agronomist, musician, scientist, philosopher, author, architect...more
More about Thomas Jefferson...
The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States The Jefferson Bible: The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (Little Books of Wisdom) Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson Notes on the State of Virginia Speeches That Changed the World: The Stories and Transcripts of the Moments That Made History

“Whereas it appeareth that however certain forms of government are better calculated than others to protect individuals in the free exercise of their natural rights, and are at the same time themselves better guarded against degeneracy, yet experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny; and it is believed that the most effectual means of preventing this would be, to illuminate, as far as practicable, the minds of the people at large, ....whence it becomes expedient for promoting the publick happiness that those persons, whom nature hath endowed with genius and virtue, should be rendered by liberal education worthy to receive, and able to guard the sacred deposit of the rights and liberties of their fellow citizens, and that they should be called to that charge without regard to wealth, birth or accidental condition of circumstance.” 214 likes
“All should be laid open to you without reserve, for there is not a truth existing which I fear, or would wish unknown to the whole world.” 149 likes