Start by marking “My Mom's A Mortician (Kevin Kirk Chronicals, Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
My Mom's A Mortician (Kevin Kirk Chronicals, Volume 1)

My Mom's A Mortician (Kevin Kirk Chronicals, Volume 1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Published (first published May 2004)

To ask other readers questions about My Mom's A Mortician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Mom's A Mortician

Teresa
My son wanted to read this so I read it first to see if it was okay as the summary of it made me question a few things. Not for kids. Maybe teenagers? Being an LDS book it was clean and had some moments he would have liked but for a 9 year old I wouldn't want him reading about the crushes, relationship conversations, there were a few sad deaths since she was a mortician, bullying and a sad fighting scene that was too intense and detailed, even for me. It'll be haunting me for a while. I'll proba ...more
Fyre
I like to listen to some stories on AuCD while I do things around my room. This is the one I finished most recently. It is about a boy and his family moving to a new place. He meets some new people, has new experiences, and starts to see a new faith.He is able to communicate with someone that he meets, and really shouldn't be able to communicate with.

I think this story compelled me because it is about dealing with changes and looking at things from different points of view. There are always thin
Princess
I found this book on the audiobook shelf at the library when I was looking for Hank Smith talks to listen to in the car. My daughter (9 years old) and I loved it. Kevin Kirk is an interesting character and had several specific experiences I could relate to and share with my daughter. We would pause the book often to discuss the plot, the characters, the experiences, to relate our own life stories. We had so many great conversations while listening together. It was also fun to teach my daughter a ...more
Pat
It's pretty much slice of life but gets interesting with his conversion.
Sarah (readaholic)
Jan 12, 2009 Sarah (readaholic) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah (readaholic) by: my teacher
Shelves: 5-star-book
My Mom’s a Mortician written by Patricia Wiles. The genre for this book is Realistic Fiction this story takes place in Armadillo, Arkansas. The main character is Kevin Kirk. The plot of the book is his mom and dad both tell him on the last day of school that they are moving to Arkansas to be a Mortician Kevin freaks out why would my mom be a mortician he thought that just didn’t sound like her.
Desiree
This is a fun young adult book. It's written by an LDS person so there are references to the LDS religion. It doesn't have a lot about the LDS religion in it; it would be a great book for anyone of any faith.
I found this to be a fun and uplifting story. It teaches great lessons and it's an interesting story. I really enjoyed it. I have listened to it twice.
Heidi
This was alright. A little kids book about death really. Kid moves with his family to a mortuary. His parents are the morticians. It's mortifying for the kid at first, but comes to grips with it. I don't think the characters were developed enough. But it was an interesting enough story...I'd say for kids about 10-12 years old.
Katherine
This is a fun and quick read. My sister turned me onto the series and I am working through them. It is interesting to note how the author is cleverly integrating the gospel into the series, delicately and without slapping it in your face. I have enjoyed the story line so far!
Rayni
Oct 10, 2010 Rayni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rayni by: the title
Megan Williams
So, my grandparents gave me this book. There are two other ones. If you're not mormon, you won't understand it...but it was good. Random at some parts so if you like randomness about morticians then it'll be good! lol
Carrie
This was very cute! Being a funeral director, I think I will pass this along to my children for their enjoyment.
Trina
There are 4 books in this series and they are a fun, easy read. This is the first, "Funeral Home Evenings" is the second. "Early Morning Cemetery" is the third and "A Final Farewell" is the last.
Julie
I need something fun and relaxing and to take my mind off things. This was a great book. Love the series my mom read them both and had great time staying up and reading one night.
Ryan Burt
I started by reading the fourth book. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to start from the beginning of the series. I found the first book quite enjoyable.
Katie
Jan 12, 2008 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katie by: My mom bought it for my 10 yr old nephew.
I thought this book was very entertaining. It is written for 10-14 yr olds, and is perfect for them. Ther are some funny parts and some real touching parts.
Anne
Oct 26, 2009 Anne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
started to listen to on cd but it was scratched up too much. J.J. loved it, perfect for 11 year old, quite funny in the first couple of chapters
Debra
We listened to this book on audio on our trip over spring break. The kids and I enjoyed it. A little LDS culture mixed in. Kind of fun.
Callie
This book was so great! I could really relate to some of it, because of my religion
This is a fun cute book about life as a teenage boy. I gave it to my older boys to read.
Mom
I liked this book and am going to go to the library to get more from Patricia Wiles.
Odetta
Oct 06, 2010 Odetta rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Odetta by: Rayni
This book was funny & sad. It made me laugh out loud in several places.
Merrell
This series is very interesting and somewhat bizarre.
Karina
Show what happens to one in the city of Armadillo
Ann
What a fun idea. What a let down.
Tammy
This was a fun read.
Bonnie Pohlig
Bonnie Pohlig marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
My first series of books for middle-grade and young adult readers, about a boy growing up as a Mormon in the south, has been honored twice by the Association for Mormon Letters. I am the Assistant Regional Advisor for the Midsouth region of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. My essays have aired on public radio and have appeared in Writer’s Digest, The Writer, and The Writer’ ...more
More about Patricia Wiles...
Funeral Home Evenings (Kevin Kirk Chronicles Vol. 2) Early-Morning Cemetery (Kevin Kirk Chronicles, Vol. 3) The Final Farewell (Kevin Kirk Chronicles, Vol. 4)