Start by marking “Developmentally Appropriate Practice in Early Childhood Programs (Naeyc (Series), #234.)” as Want to Read:

More than a half a million early childhood educators, other professionals, decision makers, and parents have read the previous edition of this book. This newer edition resulted from nearly a decade of lively discussion, ongoing research, and a broader base of experience following the first edition.
Published January 1st 1997 by Natl Assn for the Education (first published June 1987)

Be the first to ask a question about Developmentally Appropriate Practice in Early Childhood Programs (Naeyc

Becky Everhart
Jun 02, 2012 Becky Everhart rated it really liked it
I actually read the third edition of this, so there might be some minor differences. Basically, both the Head Start program I work for and my college courses consider this book to be the bible of my educational existence. Not much arguing with that, huh? I really like how informative this book is and appreciate the low amount of filler involved. Still, there are things that are vague within the guidelines, making for possible confusion or disagreement. That said, there is freedom in the ...more
Amy
This book covers a broad range of programs - not just programs for libraries. But the concerns over curriculum, gaps based on economic status and race, and things like that are background issues I'm very glad to be aware of (well no, I'm terribly sad to be aware of them because that means they *exist*). My background in early childhood education is limited so this is helping me feel more prepared in that realm and to realize how these issues affect and can inform my own program here at the ...more
Joy Smercak
May 05, 2008 Joy Smercak rated it it was amazing
Every single book that I have read on early childhood education cites this book in some way for some reason. By thumbing through it, anyone can probably understand why. Dr. Bredekamp and Dr. Copple present the most transprent how-to manual ever for distinguising between proper and improper teaching methods in an early childhood classroom. EVERY early childhood teacher should have this book. It is affectionately known as "The Bredekamp book", "Developmentally Appropriate Practice", and "DAP".
Ariellathomas
Apr 13, 2009 Ariellathomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching-helps
This book is short and gets directly to the point. It is great for learning or refreshing your memory on how to appropriately teach children. Super useful!!!
Cathy Honrath
Cathy Honrath rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Danna
Danna rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2008
Debbie Gerkin
Debbie Gerkin rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2011
Lori Austin
Lori Austin rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Janeen
Janeen rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2011
Jency
Jency rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Nikki Slaughter
Nikki Slaughter rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Shahina Sumrani
Shahina Sumrani rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2008
Alison Ondik evans
Alison Ondik evans rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Akvile
Akvile rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 12, 2015
Yanet Cruz
Yanet Cruz rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Penney Klepac
Penney Klepac rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Julia Southwick
Julia Southwick rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2013
Katrina Coburn
Katrina Coburn rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
A
A rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2008
Keely Shannon
Keely Shannon rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2013
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2008
Teri
Teri rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2008