Start by marking “Ways to Live Forever” as Want to Read:
Ways to Live Forever

Ways to Live Forever

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,110 Ratings  ·  845 Reviews
Sam loves facts. He wants to know about UFOs and horror movies and airships and ghosts and scientists, and how it feels to kiss a girl. And because he has leukemia he wants to know the facts about dying. Sam needs answers to the questions nobody will answer.
Published 2008 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Ways to Live Forever, please sign up.

Terri This is a realist fiction. That means that it isn't true, but could be!

Joe
Let's be honest. I usually only review books I can bash. It's something I like to do. But for Ways to Live Forever, one really must follow my thought process.

Page One Thoughts: This stupid book is going to make me cry.
Page Seventy-Six Thoughts: Actually, this might turn out to be cheesy.
Page One-Thirty-One Thoughts: Why am I scared of dying all of a sudden? Also, this is pretty heady stuff for young readers.
Page One-Seventy-Two Thoughts: No! This is manipulative! This book wants me to cry! I wil
Harun Harahap
Apr 07, 2010 Harun Harahap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lita, Echa dan Roos
Shelves: punya, fiksi, terjemahan
Saat aku membaca halaman pertama kisah ini dimulai, aku tahu bahwa aku akan jatuh cinta dengan buku ini.

Kisah ini menceritakan seorang bocah lelaki berusia 11 tahun yang menderita penyakit Leukimia. Bocah lelaki yang mempunyai rasa ingin tahu yang besar termasuk didalamnya adalah kematian. “Bagaimana kita tahu sudah mati? Sakitkah kalau mati? Apakah dunia masiha da setelah aku mati”, pertanyaan macam itu yang membuat saya ingin merengkuh dan memeluknya dan mengatakan semua akan baik-baik saja da
Josiah
Jan 29, 2009 Josiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There's no point having wishes if you don't at least try to do them"

--Sam McQueen, "Ways to Live Forever", page 60

This book subtly captured me and led me into its story, until before I even knew what was happening I was totally invested, heart, mind, and soul, in Sam and his life. The tension of approaching climax weighed on me as if it were happening to my own friend, and the panic juxtaposed against Sam's own calm regarding the seeming inevitability of his impending death lay powerfully on
Jubilation Lee
Ways to Live Forever has been consistently recommended to me by basically every seventh-grade girl ever, sometimes while they are still actively weeping over the ending.

So I figured I should actually pick it up and read it! That way, instead of just telling twelve-year-olds that based on popular opinion they’ll cry until they have no tears left in their body, I could knowledgeably tell them that they’ll cry until they have no tears left in their body.

But I was skeptical, friends.

As you know, I’
Joni
Mar 01, 2009 Joni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
This book is just... wow. I'm sorry I can't think of a more intelligent way to put it, but it was so incredibly ... beautiful. You can't often say that about what is supposed to be a kids' book, but this was so simply, heartbreakingly written, it was like ... it was so terrifically honest and convincing, half the time I was sure I was reading a true, Anne-Frank-style diary. Both Sam and Felix leapt off the page and in to my head, and I can tell you now, I will never forget them.
But what is so he
Helna
May 13, 2009 Helna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, terjemahan
Lagi asyik-asyiknya liatin rak-rak buku di Gramedia PS ma adek, eh saya malah ketemu buku ini. Beruntungnya lagi kaver plastiknya gak ada, jadi saya bisa baca dan seperti biasa memutuskan Beli atau Gak. Dan tahukah kawan, setelah membaca halaman awal buku ini saya malah keterusan baca..Kesimpulannya : Buku ini jadi saya beli (walau sudah lumayan kotor dan lecek karena sering dibaca dan stoknya cuma ada satu!).

Singkat Cerita:

Buku ini bercerita banyak hal, tapi akan saya singkat saja berdasarkan p
Meinar
Jun 07, 2016 Meinar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
Happiness is not about what you will get, but what you have and do now.

Membaca buku ini awalnya saya sangka hanya akan menemukan cerita anak2 biasa yang typically kisah seorang anak sebelum meninggal, yang sudah banyak saya baca di edisi2 Chicken Soup. Tapi semakin lama, ternyata saya ikut masuk ke dalam tubuh dan pikiran Sam. Saya mulai ikut merasakan sendiri kesepiannya, saya ikut merasakan bahagia dengan mimpi2nya, saya ikut merasakan sakit atas penderiataannya, dan pada saat dia mengatakan
Wezy
Aug 11, 2008 Wezy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you like the children and dramatical books, it's a must read!!!
Recommended to Wezy by: No one at all
When he was eight, the son of friends of mine went through a sort of John Webster phase, being much obsessed with death. His fondness for poking at road-kills and gazing at graveyards troubled his parents, of course, but not half as much as the interminable questions. What's it like to die? How do you know when you're dead? What happens afterwards? Why do we have to die anyway? These are "The Questions that Nobody Answers", according to Sam McQueen, the 11-year-old hero of Ways to Live Forever. ...more
Meaghan
The 9-to-12 age group's answer to Jenny Downham's Before I Die. 11-year-old Sam keeps a notebook in the final months of his life, while he's getting palliative care for his leukemia. He's on homebound instruction with his friend Felix, who also has terminal cancer, and visits a clinic once a week to get his medicine. Sam has a real voice, just the right one for a child his age. His story brought tears to my eyes.

What struck me the most about the story was Sam's family. They were a functional fam
e.c.h.a
Aug 31, 2010 e.c.h.a rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to e.c.h.a by: Roos
indah. menggetarkan. simpel.

Kita tak perlu menunggu mati untuk memaknai arti kehidupan.
Althesia
Jun 02, 2011 Althesia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
Di dalam buku yang satu ini, ada seorang anak berumur 11 tahun yang mengidap leukemia.Can you imagine that? Dia berusia 11 tahun dan mengidap leukemia!! Anak ini dikenal dengan nama Sam.

Sam suka mengumpulkan fakta. Ia bercita-cita menulis sebuah buku. Buku yang berisi berbagai fakta, pertanyaan, bahkan kumpulan hal-hal yang disukainya. Pertanyaan-pertanyaan yang ia sampaikan disebutnya sebagai pertanyaan tak terjawab. Salah satunya adalah : "Kenapa Tuhan membuat anak-anak jatuh sakit?" Jika pert
Nura
Dec 16, 2010 Nura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-mine
Pertanyaan no. 1: Bagaimana kita tahu kita sudah mati?
Pertanyaan no. 2: Kenapa Tuhan membuat anak-anak jatuh sakit?
Pertanyaan no. 3: Bagaimana kalau ada orang yang sebenarnya belum mati, tapi dikira sudah mati oleh orang-orang lain? Apakah dia akan dikubur hidup-hidup?
Pertanyaan no. 4: Sakitkah kalau mati?
Pertanyaan no. 5: Seperti apakah kelihatannya orang yang mati? Atau apa rasanya?
Pertanyaan no. 6: Kenapa sih orang mesti mati?
Pertanyaan no. 7: Ke mana orang setelah mati?
Pertanyaan no. 8: Apak
Miss Kodok
Nov 27, 2008 Miss Kodok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buku-minjem
Sam, seorang bocah laki-laki berusia 11 tahun penderita leukimia lymphoblastic akut...menuliskan hari-hari terakhir dalanm hidupnya. Mengetahui bahwa hidupnya tidak akan lama lagi, ia ingin memberikan kenangan yang indah bagi orang-orang yang ditinggalkannya dan hidup di hati mereka selamanya. Sebuah kisah yang sangat menyentuh..., bagaimana seorang anak menghadapi kematian ini tidak dengan kesedihan dan rasa putus asa, ia melakukan hal-hal yang ingin ia lakukan sebelum ia pergi. Walaupun banyak ...more
Deanna
Feb 05, 2009 Deanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Realistic fiction--death, family, writing, friendship, inquiring. Absolutely wonderful book about a boy named Sam who is dying of leukemia. His teacher invites him to write a book and he includes lists, all of his questions about death that no one wants to talk about or answer, facts, his goals, things he collects (kind of like a scrapbook), etc. He meets a friend named Felix in the hospital who also is dying and they work on Sam's list of things he wants to do including smoking, kissing a girl ...more
Naomi
Sep 07, 2013 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I finished this book an hour ago & I had to wait and pull myself together before writing this review.
It is one of the most emotional books I've ever read.
Anyone who reads this and doesn't shed tears has a heart of stone!
I HATE it when people give a book less stars just because its sad. Surely if a book can evoke such strong emotions in a person then that is proof that it is very well written and the reader is fully engrossed in the story!
I gave it 5 stars because this story deserves no less
Courtney
Jun 10, 2016 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: 2016-read
I got this book at my local bookstore on Independent Bookstore day. It was one of those "blind date" books where they wrap the book in paper and write a short description of the story on front, preventing you from "judging a book by its cover". I'm so glad that not only did I get this book but I couldn't see its cover- which doesn't relate the story at ALL and probably wouldn't have been a book I picked up on my own.

This story is told in a mix of letters, lists and journal entries. Ways to Live
Elifnaz
May 30, 2016 Elifnaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Eski okulumda yaşam döngüsünü işlerdik. Su döngüsünü, karbon döngüsünü, yeni yıldızların oluşum döngüsünü biliyorum. Hepsinde eskiler ölür, yeniler doğar. Yaşlı yıldızlar, genç yıldızlara dönüşür. Ölü yapraklar yavru filizlere dönüşür. Bir şey ölüyordur ya da doğuyordur. Nasıl baktığınıza bağlı."
"Fakat bunlar, çocukların da ölmek zorunda olmalarının nedenini açıklamıyor."
Bu kadar bir çırpıda biten bir kitapta o kadar çok şey anlatılmış ki okumadan nasıl hissettirdiğini anlayamazsınız. Okumadan
Beatrice
Jan 07, 2015 Beatrice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The first tear jerker of the year
Jess
Apr 13, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv
Although I was personally caught up in Sam's story (and yes, crying through the second half), I was distracted by the question of whether or not this book would really appeal to an eleven year old boy. I know there's an appetite for sob-stories in young girls, but would boys pick this up? I can't say I know the answer, but one thing consoled me - Sam is really thinking things through. We see his distraught parents trying to cope, and occasionally they come on the scene as realistic, fully-fleshe ...more
Milan/zzz
Sep 09, 2008 Milan/zzz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How lovely novel this is. Normally I don't read novel for young adults but I did liked this one very much indeed. The language is simply but absolutely beautiful; portraits as well; it's really impossible not to love Felix and entire Sam's family (and of course Sam). From the very beginning you are stunned by horrifying circumstance characters of the novel are facing with and feel gratefulness cause you're not from that story. Then you realize that there are numerous people in precisely the same ...more
Betsy
Oct 08, 2008 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Betsy by: John Mason
One Sentence Review: You have to have some kinda chops to write a funny dying kid book, particularly if it's written in that kid's voice, but this is just one of the funniest, smartest, and saddest titles of the year.
Samantha Rodriguez
It's a good book to me it was like a rollercoaster because one second your excited the next youre worried and finally your talking at the book with tears streaming down your face
Aarón Asmat Aranda
(3.5)
No es la clase de libros que pueda sorprenderte, quizá si conmoverte, pero en sí su mayor logro es el hacerte ver la enfermedad -y espera de la muerte- de una manera distinta.
Lo que más me ha gustado ha sido el desarrollo de la amistad entre Sam y Felix, creo que ha sido una de las relaciones más bonitas que he visto en la literatura (Y spoiler: una de las más tristes).
La mejor (o la peor) escena fue definitivamente la sonrisa de Felix por Sam <\3
A pesar de que me ha gustado mucho y me
Suze
Oct 20, 2015 Suze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sam is eleven years old. He likes lists, records and facts, he has a sister called Ella and a friend called Felix. Sam has leukemia and he has a list of things he still wants to do in his life. He's writing a book about everything that occupies his mind. He has a lot of questions and tries to find the answers. He wonders about death, dying and being dead, but also about living. He wants to kiss a girl, fly in an airship, drink alcohol, etc. Sam tries to make the most of the time he has left...

Sa
Paula  Phillips
Nov 27, 2014 Paula Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the movie and book "The Fault in Our Stars" released, the teens of nowadays are going through a phase of reading books that are set around the topic of "Cancer". When you get to my age though, you have read so many books about this topic, that often it can get kind of boring as you are reading the same thing over and over again. However, Sally Nicholls book "Ways to Live Forever" was amazing and was definitely not boring. The book is set around two main characters 11 year old Sam and 13 ye ...more
Daisy
Mar 20, 2014 Daisy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Spoiler Alert***
Do you know someone who wrote a book about your death? Well in this book a boy named Sam writes about events leading to his death. Sam is an eleven year old boy that has leukemia. Sam wants to live his last few days with his family and friends. The genre of this book is realistic fiction. I think this book is a very sad book but a very good one as well.

This book takes place in Sams home town. Sam wants to live his lasts moments with his friends and family but his time living i
Michele
Mar 06, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In general, I am not a fan of books which are primarily sad. I do not mean tragedy—I enjoy those well enough—I mean stories of illness, depression, pain, death. It is not that I do not have an appreciation for these stories…I just do not enjoy being sad.

Ways to Live Forever is sad. It is about a tweenage boy who is dying of Leukemia. There isn’t much doubt that he is dying. The story begins when his family has basically been told that there is nothing more to do for him, and he has months left
Mery
Aug 11, 2011 Mery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gift, punya
Fakta no: 1

1. Namaku Sam.
2. Umurku sebelas tahun.
3. Aku suka mengumpulkan cerita dan fakta-fakta yang fantastis.
4. Aku mengidap leukimia.
5. Saat kalian membaca buku ini, kemungkinan aku sudah pergi.

Awal buku ini membuatku bergidik. Catatan yang begitu lugas dari seorang bocah 11 tahun pengidap leukimia akut.

Buku ini adalah buku harian Sam. Isinya sudah pasti kesehariannya melewati waktu.
Sam tidak bersekolah di sekolah umum. Penyakitnya membuatnya tak bisa melakukan aktivitas di sana. Dan lagi pu
Ndari
Nov 07, 2010 Ndari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
"Namaku Sam. Umurku sebelas tahun. Aku suka mengumpulkan cerita dan fakta-fakta yang fantastis. Aku mengidap leukimia. Saat kalian membaca buku ini, kemungkinan aku sudah pergi."

Sam adalah bocah sebelas tahun pengidap leukimia akut. Karena penyakitnya ini, dia tak bisa melakukan hal-hal yang dilakukan anak-anak lain seusianya, seperti bersekolah, bermain sepak bola, atau jalan-jalan ke mal. Hari-hari dilewatinya dengan bersekolah di rumah dengan Felix sahabatnya.
Suatu hari dia memutuskan untuk m
Anne Mariane
Anne's review

Buku ini sebetulnya manis sekali. Aku jatuh cinta ama buku ini pas membaca sinopsis di sampul belakangnya, tentang kematian di mata anak kecil penderita leukemia. Siapa bilang kematian itu mengerikan? Siapa tahu malah asyik, dan seru?

Seperti komentar Granny di buku ini," ..Kematian itu seperti ulat dalam kepompong. Kalau takut keluar dari kepompong, kapan bisa berubah jadi kupu-kupu yang cantik?"

Mungkin kalau lihat versi aslinya lebih jatuh cinta lagi (karena sampul terbitan GPU ngg
The Ultimate Teen...: Ways to Live Forever - Sally Nicholls 1 13 Dec 01, 2012 03:32AM
  • Blizzard of Glass: The Halifax Explosion of 1917
  • I, Emma Freke
  • Boys Without Names
  • Candy Bomber: The Story of the Berlin Airlift's "Chocolate Pilot"
  • Ghetto Cowboy
  • Bamboo People
  • Words in the Dust
  • Heart of a Shepherd
  • When the Whistle Blows
  • The Boy Who Ate Stars
  • Saga no Gabai Bachan (Nenek Hebat dari Saga)
  • A Dog Called Homeless
  • How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous
  • The Hunt for the Seventh
  • Seaglass Summer
  • The Exiles (The Exiles, #1)
  • Love, Aubrey
  • This Journal Belongs to Ratchet
Sally Nicholls is a prize-winning British children's author. She was born and grew up in Stockton-on-Tees. On finishing school, Nicholls chose to travel around the world. Her first novel was Ways to Live Forever.
More about Sally Nicholls...

“There's no point having wishes if you don't at least try to do them” 119 likes
“Things I Want to Happen After I die: You're allowed to be sad, but you're not allowed to be too sad. If you're always sad when you think about me, then how can you remember me?

—Sam McQueen”