Everything We Had: An Oral History of the Vietnam War By Thirty-Three American Soldiers Who Fought It

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Here is an oral history of the Vietnam War by thirty-three American soldiers who fought it. A 1983 American Book Award nominee.
Hardcover, First Edition, 265 pages
Published April 1st 1981 by Random House, Inc. (first published 1981)

Ismael Galvan
A powerfully unapologetic book. It completely destroyed the Hollywood and Media fantasy notion of what war is. The stories by these Vietnam veterans are raw and make no attempt to come off as politically correct. They talk about their experiences in their own words, which come off a little rough in writing but is done so for authenticity.

The stories follow a chronological order that start from the beginning of the war, all the way to leaving Vietnam. What I like about this book is that you got t...more
James
This book is a literary fraud.

See STOLEN VALOR pp 390-392

The author of Stolen Valor filed freedom of information requests for the military records of soldiers mentioned in this book.

They prove the accounts given simply did not happen and often the person mentioned doesn't even exist.

Consider this yet one more book of fiction about the Vietnam war.
Tom Olmsted
Every American should read this book to realize how insane war is.
Toni
Jan 23, 2008 Toni rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Americans, history buffs, soldiers, students, war enthusiasts, anyone
Recommended to Toni by: Professor Harvey
Shelves: culture
The Vietnam war never should have happened, this from the mouths of soldiers that were there and experienced the essence of this terrible war. Those new to Vietnam reflect on times when they felt like they were on vacation. Beautiful Vietnamese women were everywhere, and the bars were full. Then, they were thrown into vicious battles with people they perceived to be innocent. I am not scholarly enough to even begin to understand the Vietnam war. This book was suggested to me by a professor as a...more
Jeffrey Miller
Riveting and insightful account of the conflict by the men who fought in it. Another book I read when it first came out. It's gritty and raw. I highly recommend this book.
Jenn
I wasn't sure about this one when I started, I think I live in a world that is so full of the media's interpretation of war and violence that I am very much desensitized to it. Of course this book didn't stop that from happening, but it was extremely well written and really stuck me in such a way (perhaps because it was written by the vets themselves) that war isn't about bombs and guns and dying, war is about the people who fight it, the people who die in it. War is the people.
Ben B
An early example of a genre that soon took off. Santoli worked in a clinic where Vietnam vets received group therapy, and after hearing their stories, asked permission to interview them for a compilation of the combat experience. Many of these anecdotes are unforgettable. Some are symbolic or symptomatic of everything good and bad about the war. Others are simply brilliant pieces of first-person reporting.
Brett Dungan
"an oral history of the vietnam war by 33 american soldiers who fought it". I found the vignettes to be highly readable,each giving different 1st hand perspective and contributing to overall understanding of the experience of those who fought in vietnam. the analysis of our veterans, men & woman, address tactical, social, cultural, aspects and psyche of those involved on both sides of this confrontation.
Emily
I absolutely loved this book when I read it in college for a Recent History class. It is amazing to read first hand accounts from people who served in our military. This book really opened my eyes to the Vietnam war and the struggles that our soldiers endured.
Sheik
If you want to know why Vietnam Vets are so angry...read this book.
WE WERE USED! It was for nothing and we knew it then, and we know it now.
Debby
This book is not fraud Ditch was married to my mother. I was 15.And more details of his death at Vietnam Triple Deuce website.
Dmatthews
As much as a book can this gives a feel to what happened in Nam
Jim
Nothing stands out as I do this inventory.
John
I'll never look at this war the same way again...
Daniel
Tells it as they really saw it!
Christopher
Feb 18, 2011 Christopher is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just wow...
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Jack Hayes
Jack Hayes marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Ken Cesena
Ken Cesena marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
  • The Killing Zone: My Life in the Vietnam War
  • Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Veterans
  • Nam: The Vietnam War in the Words of the Men and Women Who Fought There
  • The Cat From Hue: A Vietnam War Story
  • Hell In A Very Small Place: The Siege Of Dien Bien Phu
  • The Tunnels of Cu Chi
  • Chickenhawk
  • America's Longest War: The United States and Vietnam, 1950-1975 (Fourth Edition)
  • About Face: Odyssey Of An American Warrior
  • And a Hard Rain Fell
  • Home Before Morning
  • Five Years To Freedom
  • SOG: Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam
  • Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam
  • Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered from All Sides
  • A Rumor Of War
  • Dereliction of Duty: Johnson, McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam
  • Fortunate Son: The Healing of a Vietnam Vet
To Bear Any Burden: The Vietnam War and Its Aftermath in the Words of Americans and Southeast Asians Leading the Way New Americans: An Oral History Vietnam: History/Everything We Had, Charlie Company, a Rumor of War Leading the Way: How Vietnam Veterans Rebuilt the U.S. Military: An Oral History