Start by marking “Out of this World (Includes: In Death, #12.5; Immortal Witches, #4)” as Want to Read:
Out of this World (Includes: In Death, #12.5; Immortal Witches, #4)

Out of this World (The Immortals #5)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,455 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Love, Supernatural StyleLove is the universal language. And nowhere is this more apparent than in these extraordinary stories from four of today’s hottest authors. From a futuristic cop caught in a crisis of the heart to a smoldering vision of an unusual love triangle, from the hunger for a human touch on an alien planet to a witch’s desperate search for the love of one ma ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 357 pages
Published August 1st 2001 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Out of this World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of this World

Kelly
Ok, 50/50 hit and miss.

I liked J.D. Robbs Interlude in Death, my first foray into the world of eve dallas. On it's own, 4 stars, would happily read more of this series.

I liked Susan Krinards Kinsmen, though I've read some of her other works in anthologies, i have yet to read an actual novel of hers. Again, 4 stars on it's own and would read more by this author.

I've read some of Maggie Shayne's work in other anthologies, but this one wasn't appealing to me. It was alright and rates 3 stars.

The r
Su
May 12, 2012 Su rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for the Eve Dallas story "Interlude in Death" by J.D. Robb. I stayed for the other three stories in the book: "Kinsman" by Susan Krinard, "Immortality" by Maggie Shayne, and "Magic Like Heat Across My Skin" by Laurell K Hamilton whose Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series is also a favorite of mine, and from which series this is but a snippet.

It is always interesting to me to read a short story by an author whose novels I enjoy. All the elements are there, in a tighter weave tha
Kerry
Oct 16, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it
INTERLUDE IN DEATH by J. D. Robb

It's been a while since I "visited" with Eve and Roarke. With the growing TBR insanity, I haven't got back to my in-progress series as much as I might like. I keep getting distracted by new books.

This time around, Eve is off-planet at a law enforcement symposium and trying not to think about the seminar she is supposed to be giving. It's easy to be distracted when a 50-year veteran and legend of the police force, Douglas Skinner, tries to blackmail her into helpi
Cheryl
I cannot stand it when an anthology includes part of a novel and calls itself a short story. Having been a Laurell K. Hamilton fan at one time, I was looking forward to reading her story, which turned out only to be from one of her novels. At least I figured it out right off so I wasted no time actually reading it. I feel hugely cheated when that stuff happens.

Of the other stories, Kinsmman and Immortality were my favorites for different reasons.

Interlude in Death wasn't bad. I'd give it 3 star
Christina T
Feb 24, 2016 Christina T rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, anthology, 2005
I gave this book a C+ on my personal book rating scale. What can I say about this book. Well, I think it suffers from what other anthologies suffer from...too little pages not enough story.
The JD Robb story was about 90 pages long. I felt the story was good and complete. Perhaps it is because I have read so many other Eve and Roarke books that the lack of background on the characters was ok with me.
Kinsman by Susan Krinard was perhaps the weakest of the stories. at 87 pages the story introduces
Colleen
Jun 21, 2010 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
Another great anthology of novellas where I thoroughly enjoy all four offerings of "Love, Supernatural Style"!

I chose this compilation specifically to read Maggie Shayne's tale from her Immortal Witches series, and although I enjoyed it, IMO it was the least interesting story of the group.

Kami
Mar 08, 2013 Kami rated it really liked it

This book consists of four novellas. Interlude in Death by J.D. Robb. Kinsman by Susan Krinard. Immortality by Maggie Shayne. Magic Like Heat Across My Skin by Laurell K. Hamilton.

A futuristic adventure thriller. A sci fi space romp. An Urban Fantasy. And Paranormal Romance.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas has been forced to attend the Interplanetary Law Enforcement and Security Conference off planet on the Olympus Resort and she is none to happy about it. A chauvanistic retired police commander has a vend
Jessi
Mar 31, 2010 Jessi rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Thank God I only got this book for the JD Robb story or I would have been sorely disappointed. I like romance, I'm iffy on sci-fi and romantic sci-fi? Pass. Well, for the most part.
Anyway, the only reason this book didn't get one star or lower (is that even possible on here?) was that I enjoyed "Interlude in Death" so much. Eve Dallas is off-planet at one of Roarke's resorts to give a talk at a cop convention. While there, she meets a fifty-year cop who was a veteran of the Urban Wars and a cert
Deanna
Sep 11, 2010 Deanna rated it really liked it
I've read and enjoyed all four authors featured in this book, so what's not to like when you can enjoy them all together? If you are new to any of these authors, this is a great way to sample them without having to purchase books by all of them to see if you like them.

My only problem with this book was the last story- by Laurell K. Hamilton. This story takes place in between two books that I have not read yet. I am almost there in the series, but not quite. So I knew the characters and most of w
Debbie Zappen
Nov 14, 2009 Debbie Zappen rated it really liked it
Finally got around to reading this book that came out in 2001! It contains four storiesabout love, supernatural style by four different authors. I liked "Magic Like Heat Across My Skin" by Laurell K. Hamilton so much that I re-read "Narcissus in Chains" (as this story was basically the beginning of that book, which I enjoyed even more this time!). "Immortality" by Maggie Shayne was very enjoyable. It makes me want to see if she wrote a novel set in this world. [I also enjoy her vampire "Wings in ...more
Anna Marie
Oct 26, 2014 Anna Marie rated it did not like it
Y'know... I really need to pick a winner. Soon.

This is a four-popper sci-fi romance book, which means that there are four unrelated stories by four authors with a common thematic element... in this case, they take place off-Earth. Which sounded interesting to me. And I figured that if they were all in ONE book (and thus short stories), I couldn't probably go wrong.

It was ALL wrong.

The first story had so much language and such crap writing that I read about two pages and skipped to the next one.
Doris
Jul 05, 2016 Doris added it
Shelves: j-d-robb
The good thing about anthologies is that there are generally a number of authors contributing different short stories to be read in one book. This is the perfect way of getting to know a new author’s writing style and ideas without having to delve through an entire novel. If a writer manages to draw in their reader in 80 – 100 pages, it is probably safe to take on a full manuscript.
Out of this World consists of four tales about … let’s call them ‘not everyday people’:-
J D Robb invites her reader
Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly
This was the very first thing that I ever read from Laurell K Hamilton. I read the book because I'm a huge Nora Roberts/JD Robb fan. I really loved it but then it was put up in the attic with the other books. It wasn't till years later that I really started to get into the Anita Blake series.
Robin
Aug 03, 2014 Robin rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2009
This book contains four paranormal stories. The first story is INTERLUDE IN TIME by J.D. Robb. This is part of her Eve Dallas futuristic cop series and the only story in the book that I liked. If I were to rate the book based only on this story, I'd give it 4.5 stars.

KINSMAN by Susan Krinard is next. I had a hard time following the whole story between aliens and humans. I don't like stories where I don't know how to pronounce the characters names.

IMMORTALITY by Maggie Shayne has a suicidal witch
Lee
I would actually give this a three out of four stars as I enjoyed three of the four stories in this anthology. I've read most of J. D. Robb's books, both full length and short stories and she didn't disappoint in her contribution. I found Susan Krinard's story a real yawner, and not having read her books nor either of the other two before, I was hoping, really hoping, that the other two stories were more on par with J. D. Robb. They were. Not sure I would look for more Maggie Shayne, but her nov ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
Apr 21, 2011 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Still updating my old reads. Ugh, what a tedious task. I read this many years ago for All About Romance. The review is archived HERE .
Lisa Richards
Dec 03, 2009 Lisa Richards rated it it was amazing
Originally bought just for Robb's Eve Dallas story but the rest of the stories were pretty good too. Although I'm not much of a short story person, this does give you a taste of other authors that you may not have read.
Leisa Wilkins
Jan 29, 2015 Leisa Wilkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interlude in Death

I only read the JD Robb story and it was great. A quick exciting read.

We have Eve and Roarke off planet at a police conference at his new resort Olympus. Unfortunately, death follows them. We have a killer using death as a means to bring justice in a convoluted way.

Since it's such a short story to say any more would give it away. What I will say is nothing is as it seems and expect the unexpected.

We learn a little more about Roarke and some surprising connections from his an
pianogal
May 21, 2012 pianogal rated it really liked it
I only read the first Eve Dallas story, but I really liked it. I think this one could have been fleshed out into a full novel. I wasn't ready for it to wrap up yet.
Jackie
Sep 29, 2009 Jackie rated it really liked it
I got this out of the library, but quickly found that the story in here by Laurell K Hamilton was an excerpt from NIC
Sherily
Dec 16, 2015 Sherily rated it liked it
I give it 3 stars because 1 of the stories was not even a short. It was basically a part of a novel. The stories are all really great.

I was just disappointed that Laurell K. Hamilton would have a half of one of her novels in this book of short stories. You get like the first 6 chapters of one of her books. I don't think that it is fair since this book is about short stories from beginning to end. Not just a half of a story and then you need to buy the novel to finish that story. It was very ups
Maura
M—
Apr 04, 2010 M— rated it liked it
I was working in a bookstore at the time this came out, and I snatched it up immediately. I was a huge fan of Hamilton at the time, of her Anita Blake series in particular, and I had just recently began reading and loving Robb's In Death series.

This book began my disappointment with Hamilton. First off, her story here, "Magic Like Heat Across My Skin", isn’t a stand-alone; it’s the first hundred pages of her next novel. It doesn’t even really have an ending here. The hundred pages just end where
Cherisse
LJ
Oct 21, 2007 LJ rated it liked it
Out of this World - G+
Robb, J.D., Laurell K. Hamilton, Maggie Shayne, and more - Anthology
Robb's "Interlude in Death," featuring Lieutenant Eve Dallas, kicks off the collection and is the strongest of the four entries. The story's suspense is as well drawn as the romance, and readers won't have to be familiar with Robb's In Death series (Betrayal in Death, etc.) to enjoy this futuristic thriller. In contrast, "Kinsman," Krinard's (Touch of the Wolf) tale of two telepaths who try to prevent an in
JP
Feb 03, 2016 JP rated it really liked it
I really loved this book. It's my first time reading a story written by J.D.Robb and I have to say, I really love her style. I'm most definitly going to try to get ahold of some of her other books. It seems like her story was part of the "in Death" series, she's written various books on.
I also loved both stories of Krinard and Shayne. I thought they were really creative and passionly written. I especially enjoyed Maggie Shayne's story about an Immortal High Witch, because normally I really have
Linda Thompson
Jul 11, 2015 Linda Thompson rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the Eve Dallas story by JD Robb and I've added the first in the series to my need to read list.
I enjoyed Susan Krinard and Maggie Shayne's stories. I got this book because of the Laurell K Hamilton story which turned out not to be a story at all but an excerpt from one of her books. Disappointing.
I gave this 4 stars because I enjoyed the other three stories.
Jenn
Feb 27, 2011 Jenn rated it liked it
Overall: Ug. The first story is the J. D. Robb and it's actually why I got this book. I've been working my way through Robb's In Death series and this story was next in the series. That story wasn't bad. I rather liked it. It was exactly like a full Eve Dallas story, but without so many twists and turns, but still satisfying. The next story was the Susan Krinard. It was a badly done SF story. I couldn't care about this one at all. The next was the Maggie Shayne about a witch. This one wasn't hor ...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
J.D. Robb's "Interlude in Death" - An In Death series novella centered on NYPSD homicide detective Lt. Eve Dallas and her husband Roarke, an intergalactic hotelier/businessman, on the resort planet Olympus in 2059. A guest speaker at The Interplanetary Law and Security Conference, Eve is forced to endure her dislike of space travel and the embarrassment of it being held at one of her husband's luxury hotels. Due to the accusations of a misogynistic police hero, Eve and Roarke become suspects whe ...more
Patricia Solla
Mar 01, 2011 Patricia Solla rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
Picked up this anthology to read the JD Robb story because it part of the Eve Dallas series. Interlude in Death was terrific and it was out of this world as the setting is off planet at Roarke owed planetarey property where Lieutenant Dallas really doesn't have any authority but gets involved anyway as the reason she's there is some gathering of cops. Kinsman (Susan Krinard) is okay. It kind of 'reminded me of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. Immortality (Maggie Shayne) is about a witch and a human. I ...more
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Moonglow
  • Cravings (Undead #1.5; Moon #3.5)
  • Only Survivors Tell Tales
  • Bewitched
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • Over The Moon (Mageverse #3.5)
  • Lover Beware (Drake Sisters, #1; World of the Lupi, #0.5)
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #2.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Moon Fever (Includes: Primes, #6.5)
  • Nocturnal
  • Strangers In The Night (includes Beyond Twilight - Wings in the Night, #4)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

The Immortals (4 books)
  • Immortality (Immortal Witches, #0.5)
  • Eternity (Immortal Witches, #1)
  • Infinity (Immortal Witches, #2)
  • Destiny (Immortal Witches, #3)

“Her body arched backward so forcefully that he almost lost her to the sea. He was so startled by her sudden” 0 likes