Start by marking “Out of this World (Includes: In Death, #12.5; Immortal Witches, #4)” as Want to Read:
Out of this World (Includes: In Death, #12.5; Immortal Witches, #4)

Out of this World (Immortal Witches #4)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  4,892 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Love, Supernatural StyleLove is the universal language. And nowhere is this more apparent than in these extraordinary stories from four of today’s hottest authors. From a futuristic cop caught in a crisis of the heart to a smoldering vision of an unusual love triangle, from the hunger for a human touch on an alien planet to a witch’s desperate search for the love of one ma ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 357 pages
Published August 1st 2001 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Out of this World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of this World

Su
I bought this book for the Eve Dallas story "Interlude in Death" by J.D. Robb. I stayed for the other three stories in the book: "Kinsman" by Susan Krinard, "Immortality" by Maggie Shayne, and "Magic Like Heat Across My Skin" by Laurell K Hamilton whose Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series is also a favorite of mine, and from which series this is but a snippet.

It is always interesting to me to read a short story by an author whose novels I enjoy. All the elements are there, in a tighter weave tha
Kerry
INTERLUDE IN DEATH by J. D. Robb

It's been a while since I "visited" with Eve and Roarke. With the growing TBR insanity, I haven't got back to my in-progress series as much as I might like. I keep getting distracted by new books.

This time around, Eve is off-planet at a law enforcement symposium and trying not to think about the seminar she is supposed to be giving. It's easy to be distracted when a 50-year veteran and legend of the police force, Douglas Skinner, tries to blackmail her into helpi
Kelly
Ok, 50/50 hit and miss.

I liked J.D. Robbs Interlude in Death, my first foray into the world of eve dallas. On it's own, 4 stars, would happily read more of this series.

I liked Susan Krinards Kinsmen, though I've read some of her other works in anthologies, i have yet to read an actual novel of hers. Again, 4 stars on it's own and would read more by this author.

I've read some of Maggie Shayne's work in other anthologies, but this one wasn't appealing to me. It was alright and rates 3 stars.

The r
Colleen
Another great anthology of novellas where I thoroughly enjoy all four offerings of "Love, Supernatural Style"!

I chose this compilation specifically to read Maggie Shayne's tale from her Immortal Witches series, and although I enjoyed it, IMO it was the least interesting story of the group.

Kami

This book consists of four novellas. Interlude in Death by J.D. Robb. Kinsman by Susan Krinard. Immortality by Maggie Shayne. Magic Like Heat Across My Skin by Laurell K. Hamilton.

A futuristic adventure thriller. A sci fi space romp. An Urban Fantasy. And Paranormal Romance.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas has been forced to attend the Interplanetary Law Enforcement and Security Conference off planet on the Olympus Resort and she is none to happy about it. A chauvanistic retired police commander has a vend
Jessi
Thank God I only got this book for the JD Robb story or I would have been sorely disappointed. I like romance, I'm iffy on sci-fi and romantic sci-fi? Pass. Well, for the most part.
Anyway, the only reason this book didn't get one star or lower (is that even possible on here?) was that I enjoyed "Interlude in Death" so much. Eve Dallas is off-planet at one of Roarke's resorts to give a talk at a cop convention. While there, she meets a fifty-year cop who was a veteran of the Urban Wars and a cert
Cheryl
I cannot stand it when an anthology includes part of a novel and calls itself a short story. Having been a Laurell K. Hamilton fan at one time, I was looking forward to reading her story, which turned out only to be from one of her novels. At least I figured it out right off so I wasted no time actually reading it. I feel hugely cheated when that stuff happens.

Of the other stories, Kinsmman and Immortality were my favorites for different reasons.

Interlude in Death wasn't bad. I'd give it 3 star
Deanna
I've read and enjoyed all four authors featured in this book, so what's not to like when you can enjoy them all together? If you are new to any of these authors, this is a great way to sample them without having to purchase books by all of them to see if you like them.

My only problem with this book was the last story- by Laurell K. Hamilton. This story takes place in between two books that I have not read yet. I am almost there in the series, but not quite. So I knew the characters and most of w
Debbie Zappen
Finally got around to reading this book that came out in 2001! It contains four storiesabout love, supernatural style by four different authors. I liked "Magic Like Heat Across My Skin" by Laurell K. Hamilton so much that I re-read "Narcissus in Chains" (as this story was basically the beginning of that book, which I enjoyed even more this time!). "Immortality" by Maggie Shayne was very enjoyable. It makes me want to see if she wrote a novel set in this world. [I also enjoy her vampire "Wings in ...more
Anna Marie
Y'know... I really need to pick a winner. Soon.

This is a four-popper sci-fi romance book, which means that there are four unrelated stories by four authors with a common thematic element... in this case, they take place off-Earth. Which sounded interesting to me. And I figured that if they were all in ONE book (and thus short stories), I couldn't probably go wrong.

It was ALL wrong.

The first story had so much language and such crap writing that I read about two pages and skipped to the next one.
Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly
This was the very first thing that I ever read from Laurell K Hamilton. I read the book because I'm a huge Nora Roberts/JD Robb fan. I really loved it but then it was put up in the attic with the other books. It wasn't till years later that I really started to get into the Anita Blake series.
Robin
This book contains four paranormal stories. The first story is INTERLUDE IN TIME by J.D. Robb. This is part of her Eve Dallas futuristic cop series and the only story in the book that I liked. If I were to rate the book based only on this story, I'd give it 4.5 stars.

KINSMAN by Susan Krinard is next. I had a hard time following the whole story between aliens and humans. I don't like stories where I don't know how to pronounce the characters names.

IMMORTALITY by Maggie Shayne has a suicidal witch
Bark's Book Nonsense
Still updating my old reads. Ugh, what a tedious task. I read this many years ago for All About Romance. The review is archived HERE .
Lisa Richards
Originally bought just for Robb's Eve Dallas story but the rest of the stories were pretty good too. Although I'm not much of a short story person, this does give you a taste of other authors that you may not have read.
Leisa Wilkins
Interlude in Death

I only read the JD Robb story and it was great. A quick exciting read.

We have Eve and Roarke off planet at a police conference at his new resort Olympus. Unfortunately, death follows them. We have a killer using death as a means to bring justice in a convoluted way.

Since it's such a short story to say any more would give it away. What I will say is nothing is as it seems and expect the unexpected.

We learn a little more about Roarke and some surprising connections from his an
pianogal
I only read the first Eve Dallas story, but I really liked it. I think this one could have been fleshed out into a full novel. I wasn't ready for it to wrap up yet.
Jackie
I got this out of the library, but quickly found that the story in here by Laurell K Hamilton was an excerpt from NIC
Maura
M—
I was working in a bookstore at the time this came out, and I snatched it up immediately. I was a huge fan of Hamilton at the time, of her Anita Blake series in particular, and I had just recently began reading and loving Robb's In Death series.

This book began my disappointment with Hamilton. First off, her story here, "Magic Like Heat Across My Skin", isn’t a stand-alone; it’s the first hundred pages of her next novel. It doesn’t even really have an ending here. The hundred pages just end where
Cherisse
LJ
Out of this World - G+
Robb, J.D., Laurell K. Hamilton, Maggie Shayne, and more - Anthology
Robb's "Interlude in Death," featuring Lieutenant Eve Dallas, kicks off the collection and is the strongest of the four entries. The story's suspense is as well drawn as the romance, and readers won't have to be familiar with Robb's In Death series (Betrayal in Death, etc.) to enjoy this futuristic thriller. In contrast, "Kinsman," Krinard's (Touch of the Wolf) tale of two telepaths who try to prevent an in
Jenn
Overall: Ug. The first story is the J. D. Robb and it's actually why I got this book. I've been working my way through Robb's In Death series and this story was next in the series. That story wasn't bad. I rather liked it. It was exactly like a full Eve Dallas story, but without so many twists and turns, but still satisfying. The next story was the Susan Krinard. It was a badly done SF story. I couldn't care about this one at all. The next was the Maggie Shayne about a witch. This one wasn't hor ...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
J.D. Robb's "Interlude in Death" - An In Death series novella centered on NYPSD homicide detective Lt. Eve Dallas and her husband Roarke, an intergalactic hotelier/businessman, on the resort planet Olympus in 2059. A guest speaker at The Interplanetary Law and Security Conference, Eve is forced to endure her dislike of space travel and the embarrassment of it being held at one of her husband's luxury hotels. Due to the accusations of a misogynistic police hero, Eve and Roarke become suspects whe ...more
Patricia Solla
Picked up this anthology to read the JD Robb story because it part of the Eve Dallas series. Interlude in Death was terrific and it was out of this world as the setting is off planet at Roarke owed planetarey property where Lieutenant Dallas really doesn't have any authority but gets involved anyway as the reason she's there is some gathering of cops. Kinsman (Susan Krinard) is okay. It kind of 'reminded me of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. Immortality (Maggie Shayne) is about a witch and a human. I ...more
Michelle's Book
Good read

I am not familiar with the other authors, couldn't quite get into their st Yuri Lee. All in all it is a good read.
Silver James
JD Robb's In Death novella was my reason for reading this book. The other entries were okay.
Janet
Taken as a whole, these four stories were solid offerings. “Kinsman” took me a long while to get into; I think because it tossed out so many unfamiliar terms (three in one paragraph) at once without explaining what, or who, they were. I was disappointed that Hamilton took the easy way out, again, and just lopped off a chunk of one of her books instead of creating something new. “Immortality” was predictable and trite. When Matthew noticed how much Puabi looks like his wife, Gabrielle, I could p ...more
Jana
Mar 06, 2015 Jana marked it as to-read
calibre
Cindy
The first short story was good I didn't like the other two never finished reading the book
Jo
the only thing I don't like about anthologies is a story thats part of another book. If it is an author that you are not familar with it doesn't take long to discover you are supposed to know who the characters are. The thing I do like about anthologies is getting to see the writing style of some one new, and maybe finding an new favorite to read.
This book brought me both, frustration and a new author I plan on checking out.
  • Moonglow
  • Cravings (Undead, #1.5; Moon, #3.5)
  • Moon Shadows
  • Bewitched
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • Four Dukes and a Devil
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Phoenix Noir
  • Moon Fever (Includes: Primes, #6.5)
  • Fantasy (Includes: Leopard People, #1; Midnight, #0.5)
  • Over The Moon (Mageverse, #3.5)
  • Faeries Gone Wild
  • Man of My Dreams (includes: The League, #3.5)
  • Holidays Are Hell (The Hollows, #5.5)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline.
More about J.D. Robb...

Immortal Witches (4 books)
  • Eternity (Immortal Witches, #1)
  • Infinity (Immortal Witches, #2)
  • Destiny (Immortal Witches, #3)
  • Immortality (Immortal Witches, #4)
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)