Out of this World (Includes: In Death, #12.5; Immortal Witches, #4)

Out of this World (Immortal Witches #4)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  4,500 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Love, Supernatural Style Love is the universal language. And nowhere is this more apparent than in these extraordinary stories from four of today’s hottest authors. From a futuristic cop caught in a crisis of the heart to a smoldering vision of an unusual love triangle, from the hunger for a human touch on an alien planet to a witch’s desperate search for the love of one m...more
Mass Market Paperback, 357 pages
Published August 1st 2001 by Jove

Su
I bought this book for the Eve Dallas story "Interlude in Death" by J.D. Robb. I stayed for the other three stories in the book: "Kinsman" by Susan Krinard, "Immortality" by Maggie Shayne, and "Magic Like Heat Across My Skin" by Laurell K Hamilton whose Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series is also a favorite of mine, and from which series this is but a snippet.

It is always interesting to me to read a short story by an author whose novels I enjoy. All the elements are there, in a tighter weave tha...more
Kerry
INTERLUDE IN DEATH by J. D. Robb

It's been a while since I "visited" with Eve and Roarke. With the growing TBR insanity, I haven't got back to my in-progress series as much as I might like. I keep getting distracted by new books.

This time around, Eve is off-planet at a law enforcement symposium and trying not to think about the seminar she is supposed to be giving. It's easy to be distracted when a 50-year veteran and legend of the police force, Douglas Skinner, tries to blackmail her into helpi...more
Kelly
Ok, 50/50 hit and miss.

I liked J.D. Robbs Interlude in Death, my first foray into the world of eve dallas. On it's own, 4 stars, would happily read more of this series.

I liked Susan Krinards Kinsmen, though I've read some of her other works in anthologies, i have yet to read an actual novel of hers. Again, 4 stars on it's own and would read more by this author.

I've read some of Maggie Shayne's work in other anthologies, but this one wasn't appealing to me. It was alright and rates 3 stars.

The r...more
Colleen
Another great anthology of novellas where I thoroughly enjoy all four offerings of "Love, Supernatural Style"!

I chose this compilation specifically to read Maggie Shayne's tale from her Immortal Witches series, and although I enjoyed it, IMO it was the least interesting story of the group.

Kami

This book consists of four novellas. Interlude in Death by J.D. Robb. Kinsman by Susan Krinard. Immortality by Maggie Shayne. Magic Like Heat Across My Skin by Laurell K. Hamilton.

A futuristic adventure thriller. A sci fi space romp. An Urban Fantasy. And Paranormal Romance.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas has been forced to attend the Interplanetary Law Enforcement and Security Conference off planet on the Olympus Resort and she is none to happy about it. A chauvanistic retired police commander has a vend...more
Jessi
Thank God I only got this book for the JD Robb story or I would have been sorely disappointed. I like romance, I'm iffy on sci-fi and romantic sci-fi? Pass. Well, for the most part.
Anyway, the only reason this book didn't get one star or lower (is that even possible on here?) was that I enjoyed "Interlude in Death" so much. Eve Dallas is off-planet at one of Roarke's resorts to give a talk at a cop convention. While there, she meets a fifty-year cop who was a veteran of the Urban Wars and a cert...more
Cheryl
I cannot stand it when an anthology includes part of a novel and calls itself a short story. Having been a Laurell K. Hamilton fan at one time, I was looking forward to reading her story, which turned out only to be from one of her novels. At least I figured it out right off so I wasted no time actually reading it. I feel hugely cheated when that stuff happens.

Of the other stories, Kinsmman and Immortality were my favorites for different reasons.

Interlude in Death wasn't bad. I'd give it 3 star...more
Deanna
I've read and enjoyed all four authors featured in this book, so what's not to like when you can enjoy them all together? If you are new to any of these authors, this is a great way to sample them without having to purchase books by all of them to see if you like them.

My only problem with this book was the last story- by Laurell K. Hamilton. This story takes place in between two books that I have not read yet. I am almost there in the series, but not quite. So I knew the characters and most of w...more
Debbie Zappen
Finally got around to reading this book that came out in 2001! It contains four storiesabout love, supernatural style by four different authors. I liked "Magic Like Heat Across My Skin" by Laurell K. Hamilton so much that I re-read "Narcissus in Chains" (as this story was basically the beginning of that book, which I enjoyed even more this time!). "Immortality" by Maggie Shayne was very enjoyable. It makes me want to see if she wrote a novel set in this world. [I also enjoy her vampire "Wings in...more
Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly
This was the very first thing that I ever read from Laurell K Hamilton. I read the book because I'm a huge Nora Roberts/JD Robb fan. I really loved it but then it was put up in the attic with the other books. It wasn't till years later that I really started to get into the Anita Blake series.
Barks & Bites
Still updating my old reads. Ugh, what a tedious task. I read this many years ago for All About Romance. The review is archived HERE .
Lisa Richards
Originally bought just for Robb's Eve Dallas story but the rest of the stories were pretty good too. Although I'm not much of a short story person, this does give you a taste of other authors that you may not have read.
pianogal
I only read the first Eve Dallas story, but I really liked it. I think this one could have been fleshed out into a full novel. I wasn't ready for it to wrap up yet.
Jackie
I got this out of the library, but quickly found that the story in here by Laurell K Hamilton was an excerpt from NIC
M—
I was working in a bookstore at the time this came out, and I snatched it up immediately. I was a huge fan of Hamilton at the time, of her Anita Blake series in particular, and I had just recently began reading and loving Robb's In Death series.

This book began my disappointment with Hamilton. First off, her story here, "Magic Like Heat Across My Skin", isn’t a stand-alone; it’s the first hundred pages of her next novel. It doesn’t even really have an ending here. The hundred pages just end where...more
Cherisse
LJ
Out of this World - G+
Robb, J.D., Laurell K. Hamilton, Maggie Shayne, and more - Anthology
Robb's "Interlude in Death," featuring Lieutenant Eve Dallas, kicks off the collection and is the strongest of the four entries. The story's suspense is as well drawn as the romance, and readers won't have to be familiar with Robb's In Death series (Betrayal in Death, etc.) to enjoy this futuristic thriller. In contrast, "Kinsman," Krinard's (Touch of the Wolf) tale of two telepaths who try to prevent an in...more
Jenn
Overall: Ug. The first story is the J. D. Robb and it's actually why I got this book. I've been working my way through Robb's In Death series and this story was next in the series. That story wasn't bad. I rather liked it. It was exactly like a full Eve Dallas story, but without so many twists and turns, but still satisfying. The next story was the Susan Krinard. It was a badly done SF story. I couldn't care about this one at all. The next was the Maggie Shayne about a witch. This one wasn't hor...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
J.D. Robb's "Interlude in Death" - An In Death series novella centered on NYPSD homicide detective Lt. Eve Dallas and her husband Roarke, an intergalactic hotelier/businessman, on the resort planet Olympus in 2059. A guest speaker at The Interplanetary Law and Security Conference, Eve is forced to endure her dislike of space travel and the embarrassment of it being held at one of her husband's luxury hotels. Due to the accusations of a misogynistic police hero, Eve and Roarke become suspects whe...more
Patricia Solla
Picked up this anthology to read the JD Robb story because it part of the Eve Dallas series. Interlude in Death was terrific and it was out of this world as the setting is off planet at Roarke owed planetarey property where Lieutenant Dallas really doesn't have any authority but gets involved anyway as the reason she's there is some gathering of cops. Kinsman (Susan Krinard) is okay. It kind of 'reminded me of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. Immortality (Maggie Shayne) is about a witch and a human. I...more
Janet
Taken as a whole, these four stories were solid offerings. “Kinsman” took me a long while to get into; I think because it tossed out so many unfamiliar terms (three in one paragraph) at once without explaining what, or who, they were. I was disappointed that Hamilton took the easy way out, again, and just lopped off a chunk of one of her books instead of creating something new. “Immortality” was predictable and trite. When Matthew noticed how much Puabi looks like his wife, Gabrielle, I could p...more
Jo
the only thing I don't like about anthologies is a story thats part of another book. If it is an author that you are not familar with it doesn't take long to discover you are supposed to know who the characters are. The thing I do like about anthologies is getting to see the writing style of some one new, and maybe finding an new favorite to read.
This book brought me both, frustration and a new author I plan on checking out.
Cherie
Like a previous anthology I registered, the stories in this one have a strong romantic overtone, with elements of the supernatural.

This anthology contains 4 short stories. Not counting LKH's entry since it's actually the first few chapters of Narcissus in Chains which was a great book in itself, of the other 3 stories, I actually liked Susan Krinard's the best. I may look into some of her other books at some point.
Lydia
Very variable quality of work in this. Read it for the J.D.Robb and Laurell K. Hamilton stories, but really didn't like the other two. My three stars are a combination of four for the stories I like and two for those I didn't. I'm not a fan of stories that are entirely removed from my reality - space, strange alien languages. I can't usually relate to them. Four thousand year old witch queens are beyond me.
StrangeBedfellows
Like many of these anthologies, this book was a complete waste of time. The J.D. Robb story was quite forgettable, as were the Susan Krinard and Maggie Shayne stories. As for Laurell K. Hamilton, this was one of her big cheats where she put out a few chapters of her next book and passed it off as a short story. Nothing like buying a book and realizing you've already paid for part of it.
Joanne
J. D. Robb (a.k.a., Nora Roberts) write this FREAKIN' AWESOME (phrase borrowed from my 17-year-old granddaughter) series! There are OVER 30 BOOKS in the series including several short stories in anthologies. My local library owns most of them (more than 1/2 of which I donated so that others could enjoy this series). Looking for a summer challenge? Read this series. You won't regret it.
MK (Food actvist)
I learned about a new author today Susan Kinard. She writes in an interesting way that brings the past to life in a way that was exciting to me. I usually pass on both the theme and setting of the story she had presented in OUT OF THIS WORLD. This time, however, I read it, enjoyed it, and wanted more. I will definately put her on my searched authors list and look her up later on.
Beth
I read this primarily for the J.D. Robb story, since I am working through the "In Death" series in order. As a story in this series, this was very well done, and added some interesting color to Roarke's background. The other stories in this book were less impressive, in my opinion, but probably of interest to those who are reading through the Anita Blake series, for example.
Gevera Bert
Very disappointing. The only story worth reading was the JD Robb one. The Laurel K Hamilton section read like a chapter lifted from longer book and (SPOILER) she never rescues the wereleopards, which was supposedly the whole point of the expedition. "Kinsman" was unreadable (I gave up) and the Maggie Shayne section was just okay, nothing great about it.
CatBookMom
The highlight for me was the re-read of Interlude in Death from J. D. Robb - Eve solves a homicide while visiting Roarke's fabulous Olympus Resort. The stories from Susan Krinard and Maggie Shayne were so-so, resulting in the drop to 3 stars. I didn't bother trying to wade through Laurell Hamilton's story; can't stand the Anita Blake series.
  • Eternal Love (Immortal Witches, #1 & 2)
  • Cravings (Undead, #1.5; Moon, #3.5)
  • Bewitched
  • Moon Shadows
  • Moon Fever (Includes: Primes, #6.5)
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • Fantasy (Includes: Leopard People, #1; Midnight, #1)
  • Strangers In The Night (includes Wings in the Night, #4)
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline....more
More about J.D. Robb...
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)