Start by marking “The World Wars: An Introduction to the First & Second World Wars” as Want to Read:
The World Wars: An Introduction to the First & Second World Wars

The World Wars: An Introduction to the First & Second World Wars

The two world wars of 1941-1918 and 1939-1945 cast a malevolent shadow over the entire 20th century. This book takes you through the story of both conflicts - from the soldiers' terrifying experiences of the trenches in the First War, to the huge battles and bombing of cities in the Second. Stunningly illustrated with dramatic contemporary photographs, paintings, posters a ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Usborne Books

To ask other readers questions about The World Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Wars

Amy
Feb 15, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing
Fabulous!

This book, produced by Usborne (publisher) is a comprehensive treatment of all things associated with World Wars I & II. The book is arranged chronologically. Included, is information about specific events that led up to the war, occurred during or after the war. There are brief essays -- laid out in an easy-to-read and an even easier-to-understand format. There are also color illustrations, color and b&w photographs, quotes, map, and more. For most entries, there is also a box
Lisha
Feb 10, 2017 Lisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool
Excellent introduction to the World Wars; I read it with my upper elementary-aged students. The visuals on each page are helpful/intense at times. It does a fairly decent job of critiquing both sides (the Allies did some questionable things that need to be talked about, too). Some of the topics (genocide, internment/concentration camps, the Holocaust, the bombings of Japan, etc) are difficult to read about - I'd advise reading this with your child (rather than leaving them to read it for themsel ...more
Amy
Aug 09, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
This is one the best books about the World Wars. There's tons of photographs and maps. It's very dense but in small bites that are great for kids. It's truly comprehensive for kids and a great introduction or overview for adults.

The only reason why I didn't give it 5 stars was because of some age appropriateness. It says that it is for middle school ages. There were a couple of mentions of rape by soldiers (such as during the fall of Berlin) that I don't think some people would want to explain t
Melissa
Apr 24, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
This was a great overview and perfect introduction to the study of the World Wars. The pictures make this book interesting and captivating. If you have a child interested in learning more about these wars, I highly recommend this book. I loved the list of movies and documentaries at the end of the book for further study.
Mike Knox
Dec 17, 2009 Mike Knox rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, kids, history
Good illustrated primer on both world wars. Pitched for younger readers, but also good for parents who lack basic familiarity with the 20th century’s total wars. The book features lots of pictures and maps, and it progresses in two-page units, making it the perfect book to set down on your coffee table—-and pick up again.
JoAnne Styger
May 17, 2016 JoAnne Styger rated it it was amazing
We read this as part of our American history curriculum. This book is outstanding, the perfect introduction to the World Wars for children. The timeline, organization, pictures, and content are excellent.
Stephanie
Apr 18, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
We used this as part of our home school curriculum, and my son loved it! He even reads it on his own during his free time. Wonderful photographs and illustrations.
Tiffany
May 04, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Great resource and very interesting. Organized chronologically and topically. Made for lots of discussion. Highly recommend for upper grade school/ middle school level.
Mar 29, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Great overview of the subject.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
The 20th Century had World Wars 1 and 2. M.W.
Tracie
Tracie rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Sarah Welton-Lair
Sarah Welton-Lair rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2014
Mohamed Hossam
Mohamed Hossam rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2012
Sharolyn Cordner
Sharolyn Cordner rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Lea Garfias
Lea Garfias rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Crystal Butler
Crystal Butler rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2017
Joanna Mugglin
Joanna Mugglin rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2013
Diane Blum
Diane Blum rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Megann
Megann rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2017
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Sheng Kai
Sheng Kai rated it really liked it
May 30, 2010
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2013
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2017
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2011
Luke
Luke rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2010
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2014
Mandy Beyers
Mandy Beyers rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2012