Start by marking “This Witch for Hire (The Hollows, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
This Witch for Hire (The Hollows, #1-2)

This Witch for Hire (The Hollows #1-2)

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  1,100 ratings  ·  28 reviews
A new omnibus with two of Kim Harrison's bestselling The Hollows series!

Includes:
* Dead Witch Walking
* The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

Bounty hunter and witch Rachel Morgan calls the Hollows, the menacing, magical section of Cincinnati, her home - as do all the supernatural beings spawned from the Angel Virus, the great plague that killed much of humanity....
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 707 pages
Published 2006 by Science Fiction Book Club

To ask other readers questions about This Witch for Hire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Witch for Hire

Alexandria
I stumbled upon the Rachel Morgan series while waiting for the next release of the Sookie Stackhouse books. I was hooked, lined, and sunk. However, it helped that she had quite a few of her series already published, so I wasn't cursed with the waiting for the next book syndrome. It was a perfect timing sort of event being that I was stuck in North Carolina waiting out a storm that had flooded my home. The 2 week wait turned in to a few months wait, and thankfully, Ms. Morgan decided to entertain...more
Jer
THIS IS A GREAT SERIES! It has become my all time favorite.
KIM HARRISON(Dawn Cook) is the best, you will be hooked from book 1, page 1.

SHE WILL ALWAYS LEAVE YOU WANTING MORE...AND WAITING FOR THE NEXT IN THE SERIES!

You will not be disappointed! K.H.'s characters come alive, you will laugh and cry with them, grow tremendously from book #1. I love the world that K.H. has created. Bio-engineered tomatoes, witches, vampires, pixies, faeries, trolls, wolves...

The first book runs kinda slow in the be...more
Delane
If you are reading Kim Harrison, you are reading the best. I have tried every trick in the book to make each new Hollows book last longer with no luck. I have re-read the series about 10 times in the last year and I still can't put them down. Everytime I re-read them I get more out of them.
Brittney
So I just completed my re-read of this. And I can honestly say that I enjoyed actually reading this instead of listening to it as I did the first time. I remembered much of what I had forgotten and remembered exactly why I became so invested in this series and the characters to begin with. It takes a lot for me to stick with a series, and even more for me to become so invested in the outcomes for all of the characters involved. This book (and series as a whole) reminds me of why I love reading s...more
Earl
Turns out I did not interpret the blurb correctly. This book is two novels, Dead Witch Walking, and The Good the Bad and the Undead. Both of which I'd already read, dammit. Back to the library
Lokien
So funny! what an original idea, tomatoes who knew?
Anna
Dec 27, 2008 Anna marked it as to-read
I NEED this book!!!!
VampireNovelFan
DEAD WITCH WALKING
Dead Witch Walking introduces us to the different, but not so different world that is The Hollows. Half of the human population has been wiped out due to a genetically altered tomato epidemic (known as The Turn), and the Inderlander species--comprised of witches, vampires, werewolves, pixies, fairies, demons, and more--come out of hiding to help rebuild society.

This book is the first person perspective of one of those species, Rachel Morgan. Not surprisingly based on the title...more
Anne
Boring, boring, and not very clear. The writing is bland and Rachel Morgan fails as a character to match up with the genre counter-part Harry Dresden. The writing is a pale comparison and not very captivating. The world of Morgan could have used a proper explanation on why the reader should accept law and order institutions having slave contracts and murder-for-hire contracts as standard. Either the law follows the law or it's just a gang with pretty bling.

Vampires in this world are a mess, but...more
Sean Fitzgerald
Great world development. Jinx is the man
Corey
I really have enjoyed this book and the "post-Turn" world that Kim Harrison has created. In the first book Dead Witch Walking, Earth Witch, Rachel Morgan is trying to quit the I.S. (Inderland Security) where she is employed as a "runner". The I.S. put a contract out on her life when she takes her partner Ivy, a vampire and her pixy back-up Jenks with her as she tries to start her own investigation firm. The second book The good the bad and the Undead is the further adventures of the group as the...more
Artful Existence
I love this entire series!
Forrest
Lots of potential but falls flat.

I've heard the series continues to become better written and more interesting, however the protagonist is extremely aggravating. There are aspects of her personality which, while they may be intentional, leave her with little to no relatability (authority issues) and to which she will cling in spite of even very *basic* logic.

Ultimately the best praise I could give this series and its main character is "like Dresden, but dumber"
Valerie
If you like stories about witches, vampires, pixies, werewolves, and all the action that goes with catching them, you will love this set. If you are looking for sex or romance, you will be disappointed most of the time. That being said, I really enjoyed this 2 for 1 book, and look forward to reading more about Rachel Morgan and her misadventures.
Bob
Picked these up on a whim from SFBC since I liked the genre. Harrison has been added to my list of favorite authors. I think she did an excellent job of developing her characters throughout the first two books while weaving a great storyline. I have the next 4 in the series awaiting my attention now.
Helen Bishop
This is such a great series. Kim Harrison pulls you in. It is easy to relate to rachel morgan and her friends as they try to maneuver around the bureaucracy of this futuristic world. You are rooting for them the whole way through. They are the underdog, but you just want them to succeed.
Mary
Aug 10, 2011 Mary added it
I was really upset that I wasn't liking this book. It sounded like it would be a fun read and there are 7 books so I could enjoy a nice series this summer. But it was a complete disappointment. :-( The main character wasn't very consistent and I just could not get into it!
Evelyn Porter
Interesting science fiction tale of witches, vampires, pixies, elves, and other supernatural beings co-existing with humans in Cincinnati after a deadly GMO organisim kills off most of the human population. Entertaining, but not for everyone.
June
Stephanie Plum meet Rachel Mariana Morgan. Same concept just throw in some witches, vampires and werewolves. I thought the first book was slow. The second book was better. I have high hopes for volume three.
Kim
This was a great read, I am now looking forward to book 2. What could be better vampires, witches and Pixies and they live in an old church.
Tracey
Love this book which is the first and second of The Hollows series. Based in Cincinnati, Oh and Newport, Ky.
Jessica Flaska
this owuld have to go with the same review for books 3 and 4 of the rachel morgan books by kim harrison
Beth Drolet
Amazing book!!!! I'm hooked and have now borrowed the whole series from my sister-in-law.
Natalia Johnson
This author is one of my favorites. Colorful story line
Janell
LOVE this series. Totally up my alley!
Angela
I should correct my previous... I'm reading this book and I''m on book two.
Heather
Just finished it...Loved it...on to book #2
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett added it
Fantasy
  • Preying For Mercy (Mercy Thompson, #1-3)
  • Wizard by Trade (The Dresden Files, #4-5)
  • Long-time Listener, First-time Werewolf (Kitty Norville, #1-3)
  • Dead by Day (Sookie Stackhouse, #4-5)
  • Black Moon Inn  (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7-8)
  • Dark Days: Nightwalker And Dayhunter
  • Wicked Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #5)
  • Diana Tregarde Investigates (Diana Tregarde, #1-3)
  • Electric Storm (Raven Investigations, #1)
  • Nights Embrace (Others of Seattle, #1)
  • The Parasol Protectorate Boxed Set: Soulless, Changeless, Blameless, Heartless and Timeless
  • In Vino Veritas (Dorina Basarab, #2.1)
  • Wild Card  (Bite Back, #3)
  • Witch Magic
Kim Harrison, dark urban fantasy author of the New York Times bestselling Ever After, was born and raised in the upper Midwest. After gaining her bachelors in the sciences, she moved to South Carolina until the lure of snow pulled her back to Michigan When not at her desk, she is most likely to be found landscaping her yard or on the links with her mom.

Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook h...more
More about Kim Harrison...
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)