Start by marking “This Witch for Hire (The Hollows, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
This Witch for Hire (The Hollows, #1-2)

This Witch for Hire (The Hollows #1-2)

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,317 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
A new omnibus with two of Kim Harrison's bestselling The Hollows series!

Includes:
* Dead Witch Walking
* The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

Bounty hunter and witch Rachel Morgan calls the Hollows, the menacing, magical section of Cincinnati, her home - as do all the supernatural beings spawned from the Angel Virus, the great plague that killed much of humanity....
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 707 pages
Published 2006 by Science Fiction Book Club

To ask other readers questions about This Witch for Hire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Witch for Hire

Jer
Jan 09, 2013 Jer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kim-harrison
THIS IS A GREAT SERIES! It has become my all time favorite.
KIM HARRISON(Dawn Cook) is the best, you will be hooked from book 1, page 1.

SHE WILL ALWAYS LEAVE YOU WANTING MORE...AND WAITING FOR THE NEXT IN THE SERIES!

You will not be disappointed! K.H.'s characters come alive, you will laugh and cry with them, grow tremendously from book #1. I love the world that K.H. has created. Bio-engineered tomatoes, witches, vampires, pixies, faeries, trolls, wolves...

The first book runs kinda slow in the be
Alexandria
Feb 23, 2013 Alexandria rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon the Rachel Morgan series while waiting for the next release of the Sookie Stackhouse books. I was hooked, lined, and sunk. However, it helped that she had quite a few of her series already published, so I wasn't cursed with the waiting for the next book syndrome. It was a perfect timing sort of event being that I was stuck in North Carolina waiting out a storm that had flooded my home. The 2 week wait turned in to a few months wait, and thankfully, Ms. Morgan decided to entertain ...more
Delane
Dec 02, 2010 Delane rated it it was amazing
If you are reading Kim Harrison, you are reading the best. I have tried every trick in the book to make each new Hollows book last longer with no luck. I have re-read the series about 10 times in the last year and I still can't put them down. Everytime I re-read them I get more out of them.
Brittney
May 05, 2013 Brittney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
So I just completed my re-read of this. And I can honestly say that I enjoyed actually reading this instead of listening to it as I did the first time. I remembered much of what I had forgotten and remembered exactly why I became so invested in this series and the characters to begin with. It takes a lot for me to stick with a series, and even more for me to become so invested in the outcomes for all of the characters involved. This book (and series as a whole) reminds me of why I love reading s ...more
Angie
Re-read these for the first time since I originally read them back in 2007 and I ended up actually skipping book one because it was so much boring build-up/character introduction. Book two is much better but still nothing compared to how good the books get later in the series BUT OMG THE TRENT/RACHEL FEELS! I forgot how early they started. It's going to be a rough series read waiting to find out what happens to my ship. 11 more books to go.
Earl
Dec 23, 2009 Earl rated it liked it
Turns out I did not interpret the blurb correctly. This book is two novels, Dead Witch Walking, and The Good the Bad and the Undead. Both of which I'd already read, dammit. Back to the library
Lokien
Jan 29, 2011 Lokien rated it it was amazing
So funny! what an original idea, tomatoes who knew?
Anna
Dec 27, 2008 Anna marked it as to-read
I NEED this book!!!!
Michael Benavidez
Apr 30, 2016 Michael Benavidez rated it really liked it
Is this book perfect? Not sure. I want to say that I loved it, but I think I more enjoyed it than loved it. See, this isn't my usual genre. It has all the makings of it, with the supernatural, the world building, the excellent characters, the action, and everything. But something just felt like it wasn't for me at the same time. I've been finished with this book for a while, trying to think of some way to describe it. I enjoyed the first book, i enjoyed the second book, but looking back on it... ...more
VampireNovelFan
Apr 13, 2011 VampireNovelFan rated it liked it
DEAD WITCH WALKING
Dead Witch Walking introduces us to the different, but not so different world that is The Hollows. Half of the human population has been wiped out due to a genetically altered tomato epidemic (known as The Turn), and the Inderlander species--comprised of witches, vampires, werewolves, pixies, fairies, demons, and more--come out of hiding to help rebuild society.

This book is the first person perspective of one of those species, Rachel Morgan. Not surprisingly based on the title
LOL_BOOKS
THE ONLY URBAN FANTASY I'VE LIKED WAS THE FIRST COUPLE OF KIM HARRISON BOOKS AND THE TOBY DAYE BOOKS BY SEANAN MCGUIRE. SOMETIMES I WORRY I'M LETTING AN ENTIRE GENRE PAST ME BY BECAUSE MOST OF IT IS SUCH SHIT, BUT 99% OF EVERYTHING I'VE PICKED UP HAS BEEN CRAP.

I COULDN'T FINISH THE FIRST BOOK OF EITHER OF THOSE, BUT THERE ARE A FEW SERIES I RLY ENJOY.
Anne
Dec 06, 2011 Anne rated it it was ok
Boring, boring, and not very clear. The writing is bland and Rachel Morgan fails as a character to match up with the genre counter-part Harry Dresden. The writing is a pale comparison and not very captivating. The world of Morgan could have used a proper explanation on why the reader should accept law and order institutions having slave contracts and murder-for-hire contracts as standard. Either the law follows the law or it's just a gang with pretty bling.

Vampires in this world are a mess, but
Bridget
I am enjoying this more as I getting deeper into Rachel Morgan's world. She is too impulsive but still, a fun character. Also the same phrases used too much ("she scared the crap out of me" is getting old) Really a 4.5.
Lola Kyle
May 23, 2016 Lola Kyle rated it it was amazing
** I READ THIS BOOK IN 2009 AND LOVED IT. I WILL READ IT YET AGAIN WITH MY MATURE MIND. REVIEW TO COME SOON
Sean Fitzgerald
Apr 01, 2014 Sean Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Great world development. Jinx is the man
Corey
Aug 22, 2007 Corey rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I really have enjoyed this book and the "post-Turn" world that Kim Harrison has created. In the first book Dead Witch Walking, Earth Witch, Rachel Morgan is trying to quit the I.S. (Inderland Security) where she is employed as a "runner". The I.S. put a contract out on her life when she takes her partner Ivy, a vampire and her pixy back-up Jenks with her as she tries to start her own investigation firm. The second book The good the bad and the Undead is the further adventures of the group as the ...more
Artful Existence
Oct 14, 2014 Artful Existence rated it it was amazing
I love this entire series!
Billie Ward
Apr 18, 2014 Billie Ward rated it it was amazing
loved it
Forrest
Jan 29, 2014 Forrest rated it liked it
Lots of potential but falls flat.

I've heard the series continues to become better written and more interesting, however the protagonist is extremely aggravating. There are aspects of her personality which, while they may be intentional, leave her with little to no relatability (authority issues) and to which she will cling in spite of even very *basic* logic.

Ultimately the best praise I could give this series and its main character is "like Dresden, but dumber"
Valerie
Jun 08, 2016 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-hollows
If you like stories about witches, vampires, pixies, werewolves, and all the action that goes with catching them, you will love this set. If you are looking for sex or romance, you will be disappointed most of the time. That being said, I really enjoyed this 2 for 1 book, and look forward to reading more about Rachel Morgan and her misadventures.
Bob
Apr 27, 2008 Bob rated it really liked it
Picked these up on a whim from SFBC since I liked the genre. Harrison has been added to my list of favorite authors. I think she did an excellent job of developing her characters throughout the first two books while weaving a great storyline. I have the next 4 in the series awaiting my attention now.
Helen Bishop
Oct 07, 2013 Helen Bishop rated it it was amazing
This is such a great series. Kim Harrison pulls you in. It is easy to relate to rachel morgan and her friends as they try to maneuver around the bureaucracy of this futuristic world. You are rooting for them the whole way through. They are the underdog, but you just want them to succeed.
Mary
Aug 10, 2011 Mary added it
I was really upset that I wasn't liking this book. It sounded like it would be a fun read and there are 7 books so I could enjoy a nice series this summer. But it was a complete disappointment. :-( The main character wasn't very consistent and I just could not get into it!
Evelyn Porter
Mar 31, 2008 Evelyn Porter rated it really liked it
Interesting science fiction tale of witches, vampires, pixies, elves, and other supernatural beings co-existing with humans in Cincinnati after a deadly GMO organisim kills off most of the human population. Entertaining, but not for everyone.
June
Jul 28, 2013 June rated it liked it
Stephanie Plum meet Rachel Mariana Morgan. Same concept just throw in some witches, vampires and werewolves. I thought the first book was slow. The second book was better. I have high hopes for volume three.
Kim
Oct 09, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
This was a great read, I am now looking forward to book 2. What could be better vampires, witches and Pixies and they live in an old church.
Tracey
Oct 24, 2012 Tracey rated it really liked it
Love this book which is the first and second of The Hollows series. Based in Cincinnati, Oh and Newport, Ky.
Jessica Flaska
Oct 20, 2008 Jessica Flaska rated it liked it
this owuld have to go with the same review for books 3 and 4 of the rachel morgan books by kim harrison
Susan
Jun 02, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club, 2005
includes Dead Witch Walking
and
The Good, the Bad and the Undead read 1-31-2005
Beth Drolet
Sep 19, 2011 Beth Drolet rated it it was amazing
Amazing book!!!! I'm hooked and have now borrowed the whole series from my sister-in-law.
  • Wizard by Trade (The Dresden Files, #4-5)
  • Preying For Mercy (Mercy Thompson, #1-3)
  • Long-time Listener, First-time Werewolf (Kitty Norville, #1-3)
  • Black Moon Inn  (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7-8)
  • Dead by Day (Sookie Stackhouse, #4-5)
  • Wicked Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #5)
  • Dark Days: Nightwalker and Dayhunter
  • Semi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, #2)
  • The Parasol Protectorate, Volume 2
  • The Early Girl Gets the Blood Wolf (Broken Heart, #7.5)
  • Revelation of Blood  (Skye Morrison, #5)
  • In Vino Veritas (Dorina Basarab, #2.1)
  • Cold Mark (Mark, #1)
  • Ancient Enemies
  • Diana Tregarde Investigates (Diana Tregarde, #1-3)
  • Electric Storm (Raven Investigations, #1)
Kim Harrison, author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, was born in Detroit and lived most her her life within an easy drive. She's currently working on the Peri Reed Chronicles, and when not at her desk, is most likely to be found landscaping her new/old Victorian home, in the garden, or on the links.
Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KimHarris
More about Kim Harrison...

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)