Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)

Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  71,817 ratings  ·  3,156 reviews
All the creatures of the night gather in "the Hollows" of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party ... and to feed.

Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining -- and it's Rachel Morgan's job to keep that world civilized.

Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 416 pages
Published July 1st 2004 by HarperTorch (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Witch Walking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Witch Walking

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
10th out of 2,369 books — 8,643 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Best Paranormal Romance Series
23rd out of 1,385 books — 9,300 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
Lola
*3.5 shadowed stars*

My head tells me 3 stars, but my heart says 4. Which makes an average of 3.5 (but you knew that already.)

WOW.

Yes, that is the reaction I had after starting Dead Witch Walking (great title by the way.) I was so surprised while discovering every ‘creature’ this book contains. There are witches, vampires, trolls (apparently,) fairies, PIXIES... PIXIES guys. There are PIXIES. Plus, one of them is an important character of the story! I’m talking about this one:

description
(On the left, we hav...more
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The Hollows is another one of the first Urban Fantasy series I ever read. The bug had gottenme, but I was still new enough to not really know what was available. I think I was just pursuing every lead Amazon gave me, and that was back in the 3-for-4 paperbacks days, so I was in the habit of ordering the first four books in any newly discovered series.

Which was a good plan, b/c by the time I finished Dead Witch Walking, I was well and truly hooked, and if I had days to wai...more
Meagan
Don't let the cover, description, cover reviews, or hell, even the title throw you off on this one. It looks like a cheesy paperback. Possibly even a twisted romance novel, but beleve me it's not.

It takes place in a world where instead of going to the moon, money went into bioengineering. Of course something went wrong a virus got out, in tomatoes. Like a plauge it started wiping out humans, Inlanders however (people and beings with mystical abilites, witches, weres, pixies etc.) were immune. We...more
Amy
Aug 06, 2007 Amy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Hated, hated, hated this book. Rachel Morgan got on my last nerve, and by the end, I was ready for her to get killed. However, her partners Jinx and Ivy were loads of fun.
Tatiana
Sep 10, 2010 Tatiana rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: some UF fans
In spite of the moderately engaging beginning, Dead Witch Walking finally lost me by about page 100. Unfortunately, no more Rachel Morgan for me.

On the bright side, there is a potential in this series. I recently abandoned a couple of UF series because of the barenness of their worlds. In this book the mythology behind the story is rich. You never feel like the characters walk and interact in vacuum (that's how I felt reading Some Girls Bite and Halfway to the Grave). Whatever is written about t...more
Mike (the Paladin)
First to you who like this, I'm sorry. We can't all like the same books.

I picked this up because it was recommended on the "What to read while you're waiting for the next Dresden book" thread. So:

First I'm not a romance fan to begin with and I can pretty much say that I dislike every PNR (paranormal romance) I've ever "accidentally" picked up. Now, I can hear some of you saying, but this isn't PNR. At least the recommendation I went with said it wasn't. But if it's not, it's close enough for me....more
FlibBityFLooB
4.5/5 stars. *singing* Attttaccccccckkkk of the killer tomatoes! How can I resist starting this review without that lovely song? I can’t say I’ve ever read a book with so much tomato-hate. Genetically mutated tomatoes have caused much havoc to the human world in the Rachel Morgan universe, and that sets up an interesting world where humans live with pixies, witches, vampires, and other creatures of the night.

After I finished the book, I read a lot of reviews on amazon where people strongly disl...more
Kati
valee
What can I say that hasn't been said?

The action was good, not great, but good. At the end it got way better, but still not as good as some books I gave 4 stars in UF. Some parts were really slow, specially at the beginning. And the fact that it has no romance at all was something that bothered me. It's not only that it has no romance, she doesn't even get interested in someone.
I was expecting much more form this book as everybody was talking about this series, I mean it was a good read, and read...more
Lady Jaye
Er...ok. So this is not going to be a complimentary review, as you've probably already guessed by the rating.

I am a character-driven reader. I don't necessarily have to love a character to bits, but if I can get behind him/her, then I will come along for the ride, and be willing to overlook a lot of things, like faulty plotting. If I don't like the character, well, then I enjoy the book less, and become somewhat cranky. I notice choppy plotting/not-very-good writing.

I am not a plot-driven rea...more
Felicia
I liked this series a lot but around book 4 it petered off for me. I need to get back on the horse.
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
Reviewed for Wickedly Bookish

I actually liked this a lot more than I was expecting.

Dead Witch Walking starts out slow, and I mean very slow. It takes about the first 100 pages for the plot to begin in earnest and another 50 for the action to start. Once the action gains some momentum, it doesn't stop until the end of the book.

There are many negative reviews for this book here on Goodreads, and I have to agree with most of them that it suffers from the "first...more
Celine
Sep 05, 2010 Celine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: urban-fantasy lovers
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Reread this for a challenge. This is the book that got me into urban fantasy. Before that, I had only read epic fantasy, and I had no clue there were so much more kinds of fantasy there, just waiting for me to discover them.

Rachel is an IS (Inderland Security) runner, but lately things aren't really working out for her. She hasn't had a good run in weeks. So, at again a horrible tag she decides to quit. But she takes the best runner the IS has, Ivy Tamwood, a living vamp, with her. The IS, not s...more
Exina
"Everything was going too well. Something had to be wrong."

“Dead Witch Walking” is the first installment of “The Hollows” series by Kim Harrison.
It is an excellent opening book of the series: it is intriguing, with action, mystery, and humor in an appropriate balance.

The main character, Rachel Morgan, a witch, works as a runner at “Inderland Security”, but now quits her job to start her own business partnering with a vampire and a pixy.
The story is about her struggle as she tries to get rid of...more
Michele Lee
I was given this book as a gift.

The Hollows book #1

First, the back blurb:
“All the creatures of the night gather in 'the Hollows' of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party...and to feed.

Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining—and it's Rachel Morgan's job to keep that world civilized.

A bounty hunter and witch with serious sex appeal and an attitude, she'll bring 'em back alive, dead...or undead.”

It's been a while since I've read a back...more
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
On a scale of 1 to done I'm:

Me trying to get a grasp on this book:

Me every time Rachel opened her mouth:

. . . so yeah, I could go on but I think you get the point. There was so much potential it hurt . But by the end I was doing some heavy skimming and only went on because I was close to finishing anyways. I just really couldn't get into this one :(

This book just wasn't for me, sadly.
John Carter McKnight
I loved this book, and was moved to write by the string of two-star reviews. I was grabbed from the beginning by the fast pace and seamless world-building. I found it well-crafted, with a thumping fast adventure pace, well-placed mysteries, mis-directions and clues, and rare resorts to info-dumping to make the world come alive.

The heroine is credible, far from omni-competent or a Mary Sue, as befits a young woman just striking out on her own professionally. She makes mistakes, learns from them,...more
Nichole (Dirty H)
Well, 3.5 stars.

I expected/hoped to like this book more than I did. But it's worth reading if you're into the urban fantasy genre. It's action packed, almost to the point that I was like, "Enough! Take a breath and give me some character development!"

But it was full of action, and entertaining enough although it was a little predictable. The characters were likeable but underdeveloped, and the mythology was interesting. I'm hoping that we get more insight into these things as the series progres...more
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Slow starter

This is the first book in The Hollows series. I had been pre-warned by several different people that it was a slow-starter, but that the series gets better and better. Well, they weren't kidding! If it wasn't for my faith that it would, in fact, get better, I may not have got through the first 100 pages. It was such a slow start. The writing style doesn't flow, I kept stumbling back and forth and having to re-read bits. There is an inordinate amount of info-dumps—Harrison clearly ha...more
Ian
Rachel is something like a bounty hunter. She captures magical beings that are breaking the law. But the powers that be have been sabotaging her career at every turn so when a leprechaun she captured offers her three wishes in exchange for her freedom, she willingly accepts.
She leaves the IPS (or whatever they're called) and strikes out on her own. The IPS (or whatever they're called) are happy to see the back of her but when she takes Ivy a vampire, and Jenks, a Pixie with her they're not so r...more
Sheralyn
My very first thought as I started reading: Kim Harrison can write! And being so out of my usual genre made me appreciate more how she drew me into hers using all the tools I usually find a turn off. Only she did them right!

I don't know of any of my friends on this site who would want to read a book like this, but I read her first 3 books in 3 days, missing out on precious sleep and a good concert so I could finish and still get in my usual work hours. I'm forcing myself to take a break now beca...more
Zeek
Cool world the author created- altho it ending up being too out there for my tastes. A little bit sci fi fatalistic future, a little bit vampish, and a little bit "Charmed"- only darker.

Rachel Morgan is a witch and quasi FBI agent for the paranormals who reign supreme in the future because a bio-engineered killer tomato, sometime in the past, killed off most of the "humans" (non-magicals like us).

Yeah, no kidding, killer tomatoes!

Rachel's job stinks, so she decides to leave and join up with a go...more
Jenny J
A fun paranormal mystery about Rachel Morgan, a witch bounty hunter on the run from the organization she originally worked for, and her partners Jenks (a sarcastic pixie) and Ivy (a vampire who may or may not be of the blood-drinking variety...)

In spite of the terrible cover illustration and misleading back blurb, this isn't vampire smut. Just a fun time with an interesting cast of characters.
Sean Harris
Apr 03, 2008 Sean Harris rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like Laurell K Hamilton
I tried to like this book. Really. The problem was I liked the supporting characters more than the main character. She was just too ... inept. At everything. Otherwise, it was well-written and had a great backstory, but ...
Stephen
2.5 stars. Fun, light reading. Interesting world-building. Will check out a sequel or two before deciding how to judge the series as a whole.
Kristy
Well, I'm reading this series coming off of the Anita Blake series. I loved that series in the beginning but it went on a wild goose chase of what it used to be towards the second half so I decided starting a new series would help my disappointment.

I enjoyed this book in context but the details are a little weak. I liked it but found myself skimming parts and bored in others. I was hoping that it was the exposition that made it boring so I'm trying book 2 to see if I like it more.

I'm not annoye...more
Natasha
The first book in The Hollows series by the awesome Kim Harrison.It was released in 2004 I think but I didn't get to read it until 2008 and once I started I read each right after eachother and finished within one week. I LOVED this book. The Hollows is my favorite series ever and that's really hard to say considering I Love so many series. Kim just writes an amazing story and keeps on you on your toes and begging for more. Each edition in the series is a addiction and a hoot! The characters are...more
Andrea Caro
I picked up Dead Witch Walking in the wake of finishing Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris. Having perused both Wikipedia and Goodreads for a general synopsis of the story, I felt confident that I was going to love the series and that it would also soothe the ache of not getting another Sookie Stackhouse novel until May of this year. This was a bad idea for two reasons: 1.) Gauging the content of one set of novels, however similar, against another (especially since it was the first in a seri...more
zcb257
3 1/2 stars.

3 1/2 stars.

OK, so it wasn't blow your mind good, but it was good enough that I will be continuing on with the series. I liked the characters, the story was decent if not a bit predictable, and it's an interesting world that I'd like to read more about. I've heard from many that it gets much much better as the books go along, and I can see that. I find that's it's fairly rare to find a 1st book that blows your mind, so I've learned not to discount from the get go.

Rachel Morgan, fail...more
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville #2)
  • Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1)
  • Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3)
  • Deadly Desire (Riley Jenson Guardian #7)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac #2)
  • Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye #4)
Kim Harrison, dark urban fantasy author of the New York Times bestselling Ever After, was born and raised in the upper Midwest. After gaining her bachelors in the sciences, she moved to South Carolina until the lure of snow pulled her back to Michigan When not at her desk, she is most likely to be found landscaping her yard or on the links with her mom.

Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook h...more
More about Kim Harrison...
Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)

“What are you?" I rasped.
It smiled. "Whatever scares you.”
213 likes
“Most of the upper management of I.S. were undead. I always thought it was because the job was easier if you didn't have a soul.” 136 likes