Start by marking “The Contest Between the Sun and the Wind: An Aesop's Fable” as Want to Read:
The Contest Between the Sun and the Wind: An Aesop's Fable

The Contest Between the Sun and the Wind: An Aesop's Fable

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  20 reviews

In this retelling of a classic fable from Aesop, we learn that being the most forceful does not make you the strongest. Sometimes the greatest strength comes from a place of gentleness.

Published December 19th 2007 by August House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Contest Between the Sun and the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Contest Between the Sun and the Wind

Betsy
Of all the fables of all the world, sometimes I think that Aesop's are the hardest to retell. Not that the moral lessons don't still contain great pearls of wisdom for us even to this day. The wisdom and the folly have eerie longevity, that's for sure. The problem is more that Mr. Aesop appreciated brevity. He knew how to get to the heart of a story without a mess of folderol and flippery. That's all well and good if you're writing a book of multiple Aesop fables, but what do you do if you turn ...more
Fabulous story of how the sun outwitted the wind by using gentleness instead of bullying him. The illustrations are gorgeous and it is fun to read because some pages are laid out the opposite way so you have to turn the book to see it.
Vivian
Our "Narnia Closet Capers" story time called for lots of stories about coats. I love sharing this Aesop fable with puppets on craft sticks. However, this book fills the bill if you don't have puppets on hand. There is a man with a coat on. The wind and sun take turns trying to remove his coat.

This contest of strength between the sun and the wind calls for some songs about sunshine.
Here's "Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwOomE...
Here's "You Are My Sunshine": http:
Ashley
The personification through the illustrations add the center moral of this fable and allows children to identify with the concept doubly. Visually through following the story on their own and auditory by listening to it being shared aloud.
Kate Rigsby
This book was really profound to me despite its brevity. The moral is one that is not often taught that most times problems can be solved with gentleness rather than force. I think this would be a great book to use in a classroom when you are dealing with problem solving. It would be great to introduce during a classroom meeting. I think it would also be useful when you are addressing the problem of bullies. This book would also pertain to a unit on Martin Luther King because the sun won the fig ...more
Donna Jackson
Lovely ... a timeless tale.
June
Mar 31, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: librarians, parents teachers
Shelves: wind, programbook
This is one of my favorites of Aesop's fables. Though this is not my favorite illustrated version. I like to stretch my story time crowd with this book and try to instill in them the value of using gentle persuasion rather than force as a means of achieving a goal. 3/14/12

I had some older kids at PJ Story Time, so I read this. 3/12/13

I never got to do a March story Time due to snow closings, but I did fit it in a PJ Time.
Frieda
Not fond of the illustrations.
Christine Ridout
I absolutely love this book because the artwork is stunning. Both the wind and the sun are so animated–the wind so gruff, the sun so benevolent–as they each try to get the man to take off his coat, thereby proving who is stronger. As you may remember, the contest is won by the sun who shines brightly on the man, warms him–and off comes the coat. The moral is not lost on the children.
Leila T.
With a couple of small changes to the text, this book is perfect on so many levels, even for a three-year-old. It has wonderful illustrations and poetic writing for a children's book ("The world was dust and leaves."). Marz has asked me to read it several times a day for the past week.
MissInformation
My favorite fable. The pictures are ok and the rhyming is only sporadic (it's fine- just I'm attached to this moral, so I hoped for a stunner), but the real value is just that there is a new telling that gives you the cance to share this lesson in non-violence with your patrons.
Amy Brown
Based on an Aesop's Fable. The wind challenges the sun to see who can get a man to take off his jacket. The wind uses force and gets nowhere but the sun uses gentleness and gets the man to take off his jacket by shining on him and causing him to be too hot.
Erica Eyestone
A version of the Aesop Fable. Interesting layout...the words and pictures aren't always facing the same direction. Has a good message that being happy and positive like the sun has a better effect than being cold.
Dee
Can gentleness, instead of force, be an effective way to achieve a goal? Great book and again the illustrations were amazing. The sun once again proves he is a powerful force. Nothing beats a warm sunny day.
Yvonne Greenlee
I do like Aesop's Fables and this one is very nicely done with engaging illustrations and easy to read text. This makes a very good read aloud book.
June Pecchia
Beautifully written and illustrated story to help us ponder: "Can gentleness, instead of force, be an effective way to achieve a goal?"
Michelle
I really enjoyed this telling of the story and especially the illustrations.
Beverly
Lyrical prose and large, sometimes surreal paintings.
Anna
Love it! Great for Pre-school story time.
z a
z a added it
Dec 15, 2014
Geeta
Geeta marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Proud Truth
Proud Truth marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Aesop (/ˈiːsɒp/ ee-sop; Ancient Greek: Αἴσωπος, Aisōpos, c. 620–564 BCE) was an Ancient Greek fabulist or story teller credited with a number of fables now collectively known as Aesop's Fables. Although his existence remains uncertain and (if they ever existed) no writings by him survive, numerous tales credited to him were gathered across the centuries and in many languages in a storytelling trad ...more
More about Aesop...
Aesop's Fables What The Fox Learnt: Four Fables from Aesop The Complete Fables (Penguin Classics) Lessons from the Lion, the Ox and their little friends (illustrated) (Four fables from Aesop) The Boy Who Cried Wolf (Aesop's Fables)