Start by marking “The Contest Between the Sun and the Wind: An Aesop's Fable” as Want to Read:
The Contest Between the Sun and the Wind: An Aesop's Fable

The Contest Between the Sun and the Wind: An Aesop's Fable

In this retelling of a classic fable from Aesop, we learn that being the most forceful does not make you the strongest. Sometimes the greatest strength comes from a place of gentleness.

Published December 19th 2007 by August House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Contest Between the Sun and the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Contest Between the Sun and the Wind

Betsy
Apr 29, 2008 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Of all the fables of all the world, sometimes I think that Aesop's are the hardest to retell. Not that the moral lessons don't still contain great pearls of wisdom for us even to this day. The wisdom and the folly have eerie longevity, that's for sure. The problem is more that Mr. Aesop appreciated brevity. He knew how to get to the heart of a story without a mess of folderol and flippery. That's all well and good if you're writing a book of multiple Aesop fables, but what do you do if you turn ...more
Oct 22, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Fabulous story of how the sun outwitted the wind by using gentleness instead of bullying him. The illustrations are gorgeous and it is fun to read because some pages are laid out the opposite way so you have to turn the book to see it.
Abdullah
Dec 28, 2014 Abdullah rated it it was amazing
the mind is the force. Always use your head, your mind. The wind use his power but in the final it lose. When we wanna discussion with other we should respect each other. Kindness is beauty habits.
Turrean
The cheerful, gentle sun and the way the text has hints of rhyme and poetry were lovely touches.
Jacquelyn Arbegast
This is another awesome retelling of one of Aesop's fables. Perfect for teaching about fables and traditional literature.
Vivian
Nov 11, 2011 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Our "Narnia Closet Capers" story time called for lots of stories about coats. I love sharing this Aesop fable with puppets on craft sticks. However, this book fills the bill if you don't have puppets on hand. There is a man with a coat on. The wind and sun take turns trying to remove his coat.

This contest of strength between the sun and the wind calls for some songs about sunshine.
Here's "Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwOomE...
Here's "You Are My Sunshine": http:
Kate Rigsby
This book was really profound to me despite its brevity. The moral is one that is not often taught that most times problems can be solved with gentleness rather than force. I think this would be a great book to use in a classroom when you are dealing with problem solving. It would be great to introduce during a classroom meeting. I think it would also be useful when you are addressing the problem of bullies. This book would also pertain to a unit on Martin Luther King because the sun won the fig ...more
June
Mar 18, 2015 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents teachers
Shelves: programbook, wind
This is one of my favorites of Aesop's fables. Though this is not my favorite illustrated version. I like to stretch my story time crowd with this book and try to instill in them the value of using gentle persuasion rather than force as a means of achieving a goal. 3/14/12

I had some older kids at PJ Story Time, so I read this. 3/12/13

I never got to do a March story Time due to snow closings, but I did fit it in a PJ Time. 3/31/14

Used again in Story Time.
Christine Ridout
Feb 19, 2013 Christine Ridout rated it it was amazing
Shelves: big-winner
I absolutely love this book because the artwork is stunning. Both the wind and the sun are so animated–the wind so gruff, the sun so benevolent–as they each try to get the man to take off his coat, thereby proving who is stronger. As you may remember, the contest is won by the sun who shines brightly on the man, warms him–and off comes the coat. The moral is not lost on the children.
Amy Brown
Mar 15, 2008 Amy Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-3rdgrade, folktales
Based on an Aesop's Fable. The wind challenges the sun to see who can get a man to take off his jacket. The wind uses force and gets nowhere but the sun uses gentleness and gets the man to take off his jacket by shining on him and causing him to be too hot.
Erica Eyestone
A version of the Aesop Fable. Interesting layout...the words and pictures aren't always facing the same direction. Has a good message that being happy and positive like the sun has a better effect than being cold.
Leila T.
Apr 17, 2012 Leila T. rated it it was amazing
With a couple of small changes to the text, this book is perfect on so many levels, even for a three-year-old. It has wonderful illustrations and poetic writing for a children's book ("The world was dust and leaves."). Marz has asked me to read it several times a day for the past week.
Ashley
Jan 22, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
The personification through the illustrations add the center moral of this fable and allows children to identify with the concept doubly. Visually through following the story on their own and auditory by listening to it being shared aloud.
Jasmine
Oct 20, 2015 Jasmine rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. I had never heard of this fable before I think that students would love to read this book. This book can easily be used with teaching prediction in the classroom. The illustrations really brought the book to life.
Dee
Dec 13, 2011 Dee rated it it was amazing
Can gentleness, instead of force, be an effective way to achieve a goal? Great book and again the illustrations were amazing. The sun once again proves he is a powerful force. Nothing beats a warm sunny day.
MissInformation
Jul 31, 2008 MissInformation rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
My favorite fable. The pictures are ok and the rhyming is only sporadic (it's fine- just I'm attached to this moral, so I hoped for a stunner), but the real value is just that there is a new telling that gives you the cance to share this lesson in non-violence with your patrons.
Yvonne Greenlee
Mar 17, 2009 Yvonne Greenlee rated it really liked it
I do like Aesop's Fables and this one is very nicely done with engaging illustrations and easy to read text. This makes a very good read aloud book.
June Pecchia
May 26, 2012 June Pecchia rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and illustrated story to help us ponder: "Can gentleness, instead of force, be an effective way to achieve a goal?"
Sadie
Sadie rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Bridget Antos
Bridget Antos rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2017
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2014
Trisha Kirkendoll
Trisha Kirkendoll rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2013
Aericka
Aericka rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2013
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Amanda Hamilton
Amanda Hamilton rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Maria Liza
Maria Liza rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2013
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Aesop (/ˈiːsɒp/ ee-sop; Ancient Greek: Αἴσωπος, Aisōpos, c. 620–564 BCE) was an Ancient Greek fabulist or story teller credited with a number of fables now collectively known as Aesop's Fables. Although his existence remains uncertain and (if they ever existed) no writings by him survive, numerous tales credited to him were gathered across the centuries and in many languages in a storytelling trad ...more
More about Aesop...